Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gronk’s take is kind of ridiculous to be honest but then again he is not exactly famous for his precise logic so it is what it is.

“I think I can win MVP”
“Why are you talking about MVP? Don’t you want super bowls?”

It’s just as insightful as if Rodgers had said “I like pizza” and Gronk said “why are you talking about pizza, don’t you like hamburgers?”

Saying “I can win MVP” does not remotely suggest or imply in any way that Rodgers does not want to win a Super Bowl or that he wouldn’t value winning that trophy or anything like that. If people are upset that he mentioned MVP first that’s fine but there’s no logic in taking that to mean he’s not interested in winning the Super Bowl, too. I can’t believe this needs parsed out this much but here we are…

I believe Gronk's point was...some guys would of said I think I can win another SB in the right situation. Rodgers said I think I can win another MVP.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe Gronk's point was...some guys would of said I think I can win another SB in the right situation. Rodgers said I think I can win another MVP.
So that weekly talk show was “the right situation” to you?

I have to wonder if the “many” that share Gronks opinion would have said a word about if Gronk hadn’t made it a headline?

Are we really to believe Rodgers doesn’t care about winning a Super Bowl? Won’t work hard to do it? So let’s say I’m to believe some of you, I guess I take solace in the fact that if he truly cared only about MVPs then he’ll work hard enough to be the best option at QB we could ask for to win another championship.

Or are MVP qbs bad for the team? Lol

D

Deleted member 6794

I figured most would realize that I was talking about 3 years in a row of making everyone wait on "Will he play for the Packers. Will he retire? Will he force a trade to only a team he chooses?" Label it whatever you want, when a player that is under contract pulls that same schtick 3 years in a row, I call it old and annoying as hell.

In my opinion Rodgers has earned the right to think about retirement after each and every season at this point in his career as long as he informs the team before the start of the new league year.

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, the Packers believed that when Rodgers signed a three-year, $150 million contract last offseason, he would remain with the team for more than one season.

"My understanding is he committed to the Packers for two or three years. In fact—general manager Brian Gutekunst referenced this during his press conference this week—that is what the organization expected," Rapoport said.

That should work as evidence that fans need to be careful what to read into media reports. You criticize Rodgers because according to you he told the team that he planned to play for two or three more seasons at the time he signed the extension but solely base that on a report by Rapoport. In the meantime when listening to Rodgers it should have been pretty obvious that he considered the deal signed to be a series of one-year deals that will be revisited after the end of each season.

One other thing about his wanting all of his older teammates back on team. If he is going to make his decision before the new league year starts, does he expect the Packers to have their roster done, so he can assess it? Guys like Lazard, who he mentioned in his "want back speech", seem pretty set on testing Free Agency.

Rodgers is well aware the roster won't be finalized before the start of the new league year but he wants to know which direction the team plans to go next season before making a decision.

I don't understand, then, why the contract was structured to make his retirement/trade more palatable after 1 year vs '24?

Trade/retirement now: dead money hit of $40.8mil.
Trade/retirement before '24 season: $68mil dead money.
Before '25: $45.4mil dead money & cap savings of $13.8mil.

Just for the record, if Rodgers is traded or retires before the 2025 season the dead money counting against the Packers cap is even higher at $76.8 million.

However, if you listen to him speak about it, he very much gave the impression that the corp. group of vets, that he named by name, should be a part of the "reload". So let's say Gute doesn't resign Cobb, Crosby, Big Dog or Lazard, because Gute feels that is what is best for the team. Will Rodgers view that as being in rebuild mode and want out?

I'm convinced Rodgers would like to have those players he mentioned back but that he's aware the Packers can reload without any of them.

I don't have rock solid answers for you on that, just reporting what I read. Maybe the Packers have a plan to restructure Rodgers deal, each year he is still on the team?

Unfortunately, no way around the cap in '23. Contracts will NEED to be restructured with money pushed into '24 just to get under the cap, regardless of what happens with AR.

The Packers can't restructure Rodgers deal until next offseason without him forging fully guaranteed money. Even in 2024, he would need to agree to reduce the money being paid to him as an option bonus.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gronk’s take is kind of ridiculous to be honest but then again he is not exactly famous for his precise logic so it is what it is.

“I think I can win MVP”
“Why are you talking about MVP? Don’t you want super bowls?”

It’s just as insightful as if Rodgers had said “I like pizza” and Gronk said “why are you talking about pizza, don’t you like hamburgers?”

Saying “I can win MVP” does not remotely suggest or imply in any way that Rodgers does not want to win a Super Bowl or that he wouldn’t value winning that trophy or anything like that. If people are upset that he mentioned MVP first that’s fine but there’s no logic in taking that to mean he’s not interested in winning the Super Bowl, too. I can’t believe this needs parsed out this much but here we are…
I think few here care whether one likes one type of food over another, but everyone would rather see a SB over an MVP.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
That should work as evidence that fans need to be careful what to read into media reports. You criticize Rodgers because according to you he told the team that he planned to play for two or three more seasons at the time he signed the extension but solely base that on a report by Rapoport.
I guess we shouldn't believe anything that Gute says either.

"We made a really big commitment to him last offseason, so I think as we did that it wasn't certainly for just this year," Gutekunst said.

I do have to point out, half of your post is just speculation on your part, after you call fans out for relying on speculations made by the media. ;)

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If a QB is playing at an MVP level then the team is more than likely in the playoffs/SB discussion. QBs don't win MVPs and finish 8-9. Pretty standard when retirement talk comes out a player will refer to playing at a high level.

Having said that, Rodgers has always spoken in half truths, hidden meaning, subtle jabs, etc and has never been the most straight forward so that a comment like this is taken out of context and spun shouldn't be surprising.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think few here care whether one likes one type of food over another, but everyone would rather see a SB over an MVP.
and I think people are being ridiculously and deliberately obtuse trying to claim this means Rodgers wouldn't rather have another Super Bowl title than an MVP title.

I can't believe people are even suggesting it, but it hardly surprises me anymore. They're so sick of it, yet they'll tune in every week to listen just for the chance to pounce on something.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well yes, obviously, but that's completely beside the point - which was not to say that one should be preferred over the other but rather that affirming one thing (I can win MVP) does not in any way imply or suggest a denial of the other (I can win the Super bowl) - nor does it suggest or imply that one is more important than the other, no matter how much we'd like to spin it that way.

If I say "I really like spaghetti" and you take that to mean "He doesn't like fried chicken" then that's on you for that ridiculous non sequitur of an interpretation, not me...Just in the same way that if someone says "I can win the MVP in the right situation" and people take that to mean "He doesn't care about winning the Super Bowl," that's on them.

As I've said before if people want to take issue with Rodgers mentioning MVP first (even though he was not specifically asked about either one of the Super Bowl or the MVP in context) then that's fine but there's no need to take such a ridiculous logical (or, I guess I should really say *illogical*) leap from that to twist it into him apparently not caring about winning the Super Bowl at all (or not "enough," if nothing else). As before, I can't believe this needs clarified in this one, but here we are...again...

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
and I think people are being ridiculously and deliberately obtuse trying to claim this means Rodgers wouldn't rather have another Super Bowl title than an MVP title.

I can't believe people are even suggesting it, but it hardly surprises me anymore. They're so sick of it, yet they'll tune in every week to listen just for the chance to pounce on something.
I don't think anyone, and I know for myself, contends that AR wouldn't like another Lombardi. The point is that saying one likes pizza doesn't mean they don't like hamburgers, but it does imply they like pizza more. If he'd even included a reference such as "I believe I can win the MVP and lead the team to the SB", this wouldn't have been an issue.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think anyone, and I know for myself, contends that AR wouldn't like another Lombardi. The point is that saying one likes pizza doesn't mean they don't like hamburgers, but it does imply they like pizza more. If he'd even included a reference such as "I believe I can win the MVP and lead the team to the SB", this wouldn't have been an issue.
But here's the thing: it really does not.

If that's how you're choosing to interpret it that's fine, but that's your interpretation and nothing more.
The only implication we can confidently take from "I like Pizza" is....that this person likes pizza and that's all. Anything further than that can only be formed from what we've chosen to read into it.

In the same way... "I can win the MVP in the right situation" does not imply that Rodgers doesn't care about winning the Super Bowl nor does it imply that winning the Super Bowl is of secondary importance to him to winning the MVP. It just means that...he thinks he can win the MVP in the right situation. I suppose you'd have to ask Rodgers to clarify any further implications as until he chimes in on the matter we're just projecting our own thoughts onto the matter.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only implication we can confidently take from "I like Pizza" is....that this person likes pizza and that's all. Anything further than that can only be formed from what we've chosen to read into it.

If someone like big butts and they cannot lie, does that mean the lying only pertains to the said big butt liking or can we imply that they like big butts and they cannot lie about anything?

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That doesn't work for me. Based on that if I said I like Blondes (true statement) you would infer that they were my favorites when in reality I like Redheads better.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I like F'ing Pizza and I sure would love it if the Packers won a SB and I could care less if Rodgers did or didn't win MVP during that process.

The obvious point here is that Rodgers was asked if he would be playing for the Packer TEAM next year and he went right to himself and stayed there with his MVP talk. Nothing about the team, except that he said that he could only flourish "in the right situation and wouldn't be a part of a rebuild."

For the Rodgers apologists that don't see that as appearing to be very self centered, enjoy your ham!

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like F'ing Pizza and I sure would love it if the Packers won a SB and I could care less if Rodgers did or didn't win MVP during that process.

The obvious point here is that Rodgers was asked if he would be playing for the Packer TEAM next year and he went right to himself and stayed there with his MVP talk. Nothing about the team, except that he said that he could only flourish "in the right situation and wouldn't be a part of a rebuild."

For the Rodgers apologists that don't see that as appearing to be very self centered, enjoy your ham!

I know irritable bowel syndrome when I see it. ;)

I think Rodgers reached a point during this season where he has began questioning his own skills, and it probably makes him a tad testy, and very defensive of himself. Whatcha think?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe if people wouldn't be looking for a reason, again to come after rodgers this wouldn't be an issue either.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I know irritable bowel syndrome when I see it. ;)

I think Rodgers reached a point during this season where he has began questioning his own skills, and it probably makes him a tad testy, and very defensive of himself. Whatcha think?
Not sure about him questioning his own skills, possibly. However, him questioning and getting testy over others questioning his skills or their opinions of him, has been a part of his DNA for a long time. I really only started following his "life story", when the Packers drafted him. Most will remember that 2005 draft and the big chip that was hoisted up on Rodgers shoulder when he was selected 24th and not first. Throw in his family feuds and the other countless small and big dramas along the way and you have a guy that seems motivated to only prove the doubters wrong, while pretending that others opinions don't matter to him.

Most Packer fans embraced Rodgers along the way and the little things didn't bother most of us, he was a darn good QB and who cares about a few character flaws, we all have them. However, the usual thing that happen to a very confident, sometimes smug, celebrity happened to Rodgers. All those little annoyances that fans had with him, started accumulating and piling up. Add in losing big playoff games, hemming and hawing on playing or not playing for the Packers and finally the past season. What you have are people that are no longer as deeply sold on the guys schtick. Personally, I love AR as a QB for the Packers, but I will always remember him for the distractions he has created during the back-half of his otherwise amazing career.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just for the record, if Rodgers is traded or retires before the 2025 season the dead money counting against the Packers cap is even higher at $76.8 million.

The Packers can't restructure Rodgers deal until next offseason without him forging fully guaranteed money. Even in 2024, he would need to agree to reduce the money being paid to him as an option bonus.
Thanx for the clarification on AR's dead money heading into '24 season IF Gute chooses to roll with him for one more year.

Restructuring deals regardless of what AR decides to do this year I was referring to the other 4 guys (A Jones, Alexander, P Smith, and Clark) whose deals need to be restructured in order to fit under the '23 cap.

Magooch

Cheesehead
Reaction score

That's fine and all, but still doesn't change the fact that it doesn't have anything to do with how much importance Rodgers places on winning the Super Bowl (with this team or otherwise). So Gronk's commentary on the matter (and those who seem to be echoing that sentiment) are really fighting a bit of a strawman.

I wouldn't argue that it was perhaps a bit of a "self-centered" answer (and I have not seen many others arguing that point either, though I may have missed it) but that's a separate issue at this point. Both can be true at the same time: Rodgers can answer the question in a "me first" way of speaking but that doesn't mean he doesn't care about winning the Super Bowl or feels it's less important than winning MVP.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So Gronk's commentary on the matter (and those who seem to be echoing that sentiment) are really fighting a bit of a strawman.
Rodgers can answer the question in a "me first" way of speaking but that doesn't mean he doesn't care about winning the Super Bowl or feels it's less important than winning MVP.
I agree that Rodgers never came out and said that winning an MVP was more important than winning a Superbowl. However, sometimes it isn't what you say, it is how you say it and what you don't say in the process. So when a guy that admittedly already has a lot of targets on his back, answers a question regarding the possibility of him playing for another team next year, with a tirade on him winning MVP's in the past, despite people thinking he couldn't. Throw in him talking about the 2005 draft situation, as well as him saying that with the right situation he feels he could win another MVP. You have people being critical of him. Hopefully tomorrow he goes on the Pat M. show and clears it all up by saying, "for all those that assume I meant winning a SB isn't more important than an MVP, I do not." If I was a betting man, I would bet he doesn't say that, since it goes against his DNA, pretending to not care about what others think of him.

Reaction score
That's fine and all, but still doesn't change the fact that it doesn't have anything to do with how much importance Rodgers places on winning the Super Bowl (with this team or otherwise). So Gronk's commentary on the matter (and those who seem to be echoing that sentiment) are really fighting a bit of a strawman.

I wouldn't argue that it was perhaps a bit of a "self-centered" answer (and I have not seen many others arguing that point either, though I may have missed it) but that's a separate issue at this point. Both can be true at the same time: Rodgers can answer the question in a "me first" way of speaking but that doesn't mean he doesn't care about winning the Super Bowl or feels it's less important than winning MVP.
I’m going to side with Rodgers here as a practice of benefit of the doubt. It’s very possible that him mentioning/wanting to reach MVP implies doing HIS part in a Champion level team. Meaning if you put him in a room that day and asked him directly which is more important to him..
A. Winning a SB MVP
B. Winning a Reg season MVP

I’m 100% positive that he’d pick A and I’d bet the family farm on his answer. I don’t necessarily like the way he handled stuff, but he’s like the rest of us. He’s a work in progress.

The other argument I’d make (and idk) did he specifically say REGULAR season MVP?? He could’ve meant repeating his
2010-2011 version of MVP. We’d be reaching pretty hard if we think he doesn’t care about a SB. Plus, isn’t he still part human? I can see where people can run with that stuff, but cmon really. Don’t we all say stuff that can be misconstrued in true intention?

Last edited:

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So that weekly talk show was “the right situation” to you?

I have to wonder if the “many” that share Gronks opinion would have said a word about if Gronk hadn’t made it a headline?

Are we really to believe Rodgers doesn’t care about winning a Super Bowl? Won’t work hard to do it? So let’s say I’m to believe some of you, I guess I take solace in the fact that if he truly cared only about MVPs then he’ll work hard enough to be the best option at QB we could ask for to win another championship.

Or are MVP qbs bad for the team? Lol

I didnt really think about til Gronk said it. Does it mean Rodgers doesnt want to win a SB? Absolutely not...does it mean he subconsciously thought of himself first? Maybe? Is it a big deal? Absolutely not

If Rodgers wins another MVP, its highly likely that team will be in the mix to win a SB.

I believe Rodgers means by the right situation. A team that keeps Bakh and Jones Tonyan. Cobb if he wants to play. I mean he basically said that. Otherwise he wants to go to a different right situation

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didnt really think about til Gronk said it. Does it mean Rodgers doesnt want to win a SB? Absolutely not...does it mean he subconsciously thought of himself first? Maybe? Is it a big deal? Absolutely not

If Rodgers wins another MVP, its highly likely that team will be in the mix to win a SB.

I believe Rodgers means by the right situation. A team that keeps Bakh and Jones Tonyan. Cobb if he wants to play. I mean he basically said that. Otherwise he wants to go to a different right situation
I see what you're saying. I think he's good with just a couple of those guys being retained, I don't think he needs all. And I'm good with that myself.

Reaction score
Another idea to consider is Rodgers knows that whatever interview he’s on will get back to our FO.
I think he’s fully aware that he didn’t have his best season. He might be concerned that GB may not think his value is worth $50m+. He’s sort of promoting himself, yes. But for good reason as this interview might have been an opportunity for him to state his position on the current value to our team.

Is he promoting himself? yes
Is it to remain a Packer?
I believe yes
I’d probably say the same stuff and he’s probably accurate. His chances of playing at an elite level (if given another receiving weapon) remains very good.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Another idea to consider is Rodgers knows that whatever interview he’s on will get back to our FO.
I think he’s fully aware that he didn’t have his best season. He might be concerned that GB may not think his value is worth $50m+. He’s sort of promoting himself, yes. But for good reason as this interview might have been an opportunity for him to state his position on the current value to our team.

Is he promoting himself? yes
Is it to remain a Packer?
I believe yes
I’d probably say the same stuff and he’s probably accurate. His chances of playing at an elite level (if given another receiving weapon) remains very good.
I agree completely, this was a, "I want to play, I think I can play, let's get going" statement.

Reaction score
I agree completely, this was a, "I want to play, I think I can play, let's get going" statement.
Amen. For me personally, It actually raises the % chance in favor of his return for another season. The Packers don’t really have any financial benefit from paying him not to play. Really other than getting Jordan Love playing time there’s not much other argument that the Packers would purposely move on from #12 that I can see. Obviously I don’t know what goes on behind closed doors, but #12 didn’t play so badly that you’d think Love could outplay him.

I have no idea what their plan is for Love. They could trade him for another starting caliber player? Idk

Members online

Latest posts