Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

D

Deleted member 6794

It's hard to know how much personnel power LaFleur wields, but he is probably the only guy here who might be completely blameless. And he's obviously done a stellar job (although I personally disagree with him firing Pettine after the team had its best defensive year in a decade, but different topic).

Just for the record, the defense was better in 2019 than it was last season based on points allowed.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just for the record, the defense was better in 2019 than it was last season based on points allowed.

That's true but a lot of the points we gave up this past year were trash time points after the game was pretty much on ice. Our average scoring margin was more than double what it was in 2019.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
The idea that the Packers leaked this story is asinine. They want Rodgers to stay not go. How would this help them?

This story was put out by Rodgers (probably his agent) to drive a wedge between him and the Packers to force his way out.

This is Deshaun Watson 2.0 in how to force your way out of town.

As I said it was just a thought and never went more why I had that thought, and came here to think outloud so to speak.

*edit* heard this theory on a sports radio show..

But now that its out there.

this story had been around for while behind the scenes and some reporters have been sitting on it.

Packers got the call for the trade from Niners. That got around and some reporter was going to break it open, but asked packers pr dept for rebuttle..They talked it over told said reporter what they wanted said?

Yes it sounds far fetched, but some parts leaked would favor them

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Diva, yes he is, but he is once in a generational talent surrounded by no talent in the FO. Why wouldn't he want out. What exactly has gute done to earn his spot?

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Diva, yes he is, but he is once in a generational talent surrounded by no talent in the FO. Why wouldn't he want out. What exactly has gute done to earn his spot?
You won't find too many that would agree with you about Gute. One only has to go back to the end of last season to find most people singing his praises again about how he keeps finding ways to give this team a better chance. He hasn't been perfect, but he's done a pretty good job so far.

so now we have a QB who didn't like the last guy, doesn't like the new guy, doesn't like his family. i'm starting to see a common denominator.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I have read posters and media people speculate that if a Trade is made, the Packers will do it post June 1 to "save" more than $16 million in salary cap space. This move wouldn't "save" them anything, it would just delay it and push it out til next season, giving us more money to spend this season. Or am I missing something?

So my question is this, does anyone think that if the Packers are forced to start Love or some journeyman QB, that 2021 is going to even be a playoff year? I personally have my doubts. I think 2021 turns into a learning year for Love and the team finishes with a bad enough record to pick in the top 10 of the 2022 draft. That being said, I see no advantage of pushing cap money out anymore (if Rodgers is traded). If anything, we want to free up as much cap space for next year and beyond as possible. That might even mean trading/cutting some players that are on their way out in 2022 anyway. Gaining more future draft picks and also give young players more playing time.

I know some here will think this is "tanking" a season, but in my opinion, it would be looking at the situation realistically for what it is and say "circle the wagons, this one took us by surprise, lets reload."

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
gute has spent his entire career with the Packers. Safest FO job in sports because no one ever gets fired. Hows the Gary pick working out, barely can get on the field. 10 years of all D first round picks and it sure as hell doesn't look like it when I watch them play. We should look like the 85 Bears with the draft capitol we've spent on D the last decade.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
gute has spent his entire career with the Packers. Safest FO job in sports because no one ever gets fired. Hows the Gary pick working out, barely can get on the field. 10 years of all D first round picks and it sure as hell doesn't look like it when I watch them play. We should look like the 85 Bears with the draft capitol we've spent on D the last decade.

While Gute has whiffed on his share of draft picks, what GM hasn't? As far as Gary, he was on the field 455 snaps and developing quite nicely. While that isn't nearly as much as Z. Smith's 860, it isn't "Barely" getting on the field.

What about the Alexander, Savage and Jenkins picks? Who was in charge when Matt LeFleur was hired?

I get people being upset at Gute for some things, but lets not forget that he has also done some really good things too.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Gary pick seems to be looking pretty good. Do even watch the games? Still formulating opinions based off September 2019 articles?

Packer96

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You think he looks good? #12 pick, do you watch the games or just drink the FO kool aid? Where is the LB we've been waiting a decade for? No team has better we'll stop them after a 5 yard gain then our LBers.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You think he looks good? #12 pick, do you watch the games or just drink the FO kool aid? Where is the LB we've been waiting a decade for? No team has better we'll stop them after a 5 yard gain then our LBers.
Considering I read nothing from the FO, i'm going to say it's unlikely i'm drinking from them either. Now you want to talk about ILB's? we haven't had good ones, what else do you want to say? i'm not going to argue, because it's true. and YES, without a doubt Gary has looked good. He's shown he has tools to be very, very good especially the 2nd half of last season.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

For the second half of last year he was one of the most effective pass rushers in the league.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/dairyl...pffs-top-rated-edge-rusher-since-week-16/amp/

PFF,gag, had him rated as the 15th best pass rusher for the entire season. Again he came on strong in the secons half.

No, i dont believe you watch the games.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You have an opinion on Gary, I have mine.

It's fine to have a differing opinion on a player like Gary, but to try and use it as rationale to fire Gute, that is kind of silly.

I get people wanting to take Rodgers side and since none of us have all the information, I can see how both sides have some legit reasons behind their opinions. However, tossing sh*t on to either side of the debate that really has no bearing on why we are here, come on man!

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
gute has spent his entire career with the Packers. Safest FO job in sports because no one ever gets fired. Hows the Gary pick working out, barely can get on the field. .
Gute??No he hasnt Look what I posted

And Gary? Wow..

Others should explain..

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Yeah that's fair. The point is that he wasn't playing particularly well. Basically from from 2015 to 2019, he was an above average QB, but not elite. He was certainly good enough that you'd want him on your team, but probably not good enough to return value on a huge cap number. He came out to about a 97.0 Passer Rating over that span, which was what Philip Rivers produced for the Colts last year.

Now I totally blame McCarthy's offense and Rodgers' bad habits within that offense-- not his actual ability-- for those disappointing returns.

But now that he bought into LaFleur's offense and returned to MVP form, people seem to think that no matter where he goes, he would just set the league on fire. Recent history tells us that that simply isn't true. The situation clearly matters for him to reach his potential.

But I guess the narrative that he'd be amazing anywhere isn't surprising, since so many people seem to think he has no help around him in Green Bay (help, like a top 5 OL, great running game, elite WR, and one of the most QB friendly offenses in football... that kind of help).
I think the original point was that Rodgers could make almost any team a non-losing team (8-8 or better). And he's managed to do that every season since his 2nd year in the league until now, with the exception of 2018. So Rodgers' passer rating in 2017 is actually immaterial due to winning games, but I'll bite.

Rodgers has been known to start off some of even his best seasons poorly (by his standards) but then he starts to ramp it up.

2017 is a perfect example of that. Sub-100 passer rating games in the first two, but then in week 3 against Cincy, had a rating above 100 and threw the winning throw in overtime to Geronimo to get into chip shot field goal range to win the game. Next week against the Bears, total demolition. 128 rating with 4 TD's. Next week against the Cowboys, had pedestrian yardage #'s due to the limited possessions in the game, and because Aaron Jones was running wild. But still, 3 TD's and the game winning TD to Davante in the corner of the end zone. 123 rating. QBR's all mid 70's or above.

Anyone with fair eyes that evaluate Rodgers' 2017 season could at least look at the numbers and understand that they were trending in the right direction with three excellent games leading up to the injury.

2018 was the outlier. And I'm not going to excuse Rodgers' play. For whatever reason, he just wasn't near as good as he has been in years past. I'm sure the knee injury played into that some, but not going to use that as an excuse for what was a pedestrian season by his standards.

Point is though, Rodgers could walk into a lot of situations and win more than 7 games.

For the record, I give LaFleur a ton of credit for Rodgers' resurgence. You won't ever see me try to argue otherwise. I've been saying it for a while, this return to high level winning is a product of two men. LaFleur and Rodgers. And the team as followed their lead.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I don't think there are many people who are arguing that Aaron Rodgers isn't a great player and isn't a major part of the success of the Packers, at least I am not. However, if he doesn't want to play for the Packers for various reasons, or he wants to use his 2020 MVP season as leverage to tear up the final 3 years of his contract in order to be paid more and placate his ego with more guarantees, then the Packers need to show him the door.

Everything is in Rodgers hands, but if he thinks he can dictate the firing of a GM or force the Packers to trade him to a team he chooses and they only get peanuts for him, have fun out of Football Aaron, because the Packer should and I think will call your bluff.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
It's hilarious how some of the same people who call the media fake are believing everything negative about Rodgers right now because it fits what they want to believe.

I'm still trying to understand how anyone has enough information to really determine who is in the wrong here.

All I know for certain is this:

The Packers took Jordan Love. They had an eye on the future. Rodgers responded like a champion is supposed to respond to a situation like that. And now there's turmoil.

Could Rodgers finally be sticking it to the front office for picking Love and wanting to move off of him? Sure. Do I think it's even halfway plausible that Gute and company (or just Gute) is dug in on wanting to move on from Rodgers because he drafted *his* guy last year and Rodgers did what he didn't think he could do? Or is it even possible that someone within the Packers have leaked information to smear Rodgers so that they can have justification to move off of him? Especially when his stock is as high as it will ever be?

Honestly at this point, none of us know a damned thing. We can only speculate. And of course we will all have opinions on what we think is going on, but this whole butthurt crap of turning on the star quarterback based on reported stories, when he just got done winning the MVP is humorous to me.

It could turn out to be that Rodgers is the driving force behind every bit of it and that the Packers are innocent puppies, but right now, I'm not sure how anyone can say anything with absoluteness.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I usually try to preemptively cut that off by saying if the reports are true.

While I do believe he might be mad about something and some of it is perfectly understandable I do still believe he’ll be the quarterback of the Packers and he’s professional enough to realize his feelings and his professional duty are two different things in the end.

and then on the other side I think dude in the front office are doing a pretty good job all things considered and realize that Rodgers is their best option at quarterback especially if he’s playing like he did last year there will be no quarterback controversies if that’s the case

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's hilarious how some of the same people who call the media fake are believing everything negative about Rodgers right now because it fits what they want to believe.

I get what you are saying, however and I am only speaking for myself, I stopped quantifying most of my comments on the Rodgers situation simply because I got tired of saying "IF everything we know is true" or "If this is true but this is false", etc. I don't even think the Packers or Rodgers himself actually are 100% sure of what is fully going on.

WE are all making blind assumptions based on very little facts or things not said. So yes you are correct, assumptions, opinions and sides are being taken before the facts are all known.

All that said, this would be a pretty boring forum if all we talked about were indisputable facts.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is my take on the situation from media reports.

- AR thinks Packers never intended to keep him till 2023. He expected to be released in 2022.
- Packers initiated the restructuring for Cap, but don't want to give an extension (which reinforces above point)

Add in the (frankly unnecessary) drafting of Love, we have a QB who is rightly disgruntled.

The front office bought it upon themselves.

I'm not saying the decisions Gute took were wrong, but it's hard to screw things worse.