Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would be more upset at Gute to allow this to happen (let Rodgers retire), then if he just caves and trades him. I know some are just fine with saying "Fine, be that way and go ahead and retire." Not only does doing that hurt the team in all of that lost upfront investment, but it hurts the team not getting the compensation that a trade would bring. I also think the black mark it will leave on the organization in the eyes of players, fans and the media are not worth forcing one of the top NFL players of all times, to bow out of the game years ahead of when he would have had to.
Who's forcing who? Seems to me that one side is doing all the forcing. For Packer fans all over the world, it is not possible for 1 player to leave a black mark on the organization. It is much bigger than that. Bottom line: Forget Rodgers. Embrace Love. That's how the NFL works. What kind of message are you sending to Love? When he was drafted, he had to be elated. Now I would imagine he feels like the kid that gets picked last. Talk about someone who should be bitter. We haven't even seen what he can do. Did anybody think that Rodgers would be this good?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who's forcing who? Seems to me that one side is doing all the forcing. For Packer fans all over the world, it is not possible for 1 player to leave a black mark on the organization. It is much bigger than that. Bottom line: Forget Rodgers. Embrace Love. That's how the NFL works. What kind of message are you sending to Love? When he was drafted, he had to be elated. Now I would imagine he feels like the kid that gets picked last. Talk about someone who should be bitter. We haven't even seen what he can do. Did anybody think that Rodgers would be this good?

Actually yes, numerous folks had Aaron as the #1 QB prospect that year. Likewise many folks are/were very high on Jordan Love.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

Did you actually read my entire post?

How would the Packers forcing Rodgers to retire instead of trading him for a bunch of assets help the team and Love specifically?

Why would you want to forget about Rodgers? He is still the Packers #1 asset, whether he plays for them or is traded. Sitting him in a corner and let what value he has left to the organization just rot away, because you want to make a power play? That sounds more like an ego move more than one that actually could work out well for the Packers in the end.

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Sitting him in a corner and let what value he has left to the organization just rot away, because you want to make a power play? That sounds more like an ego move more than one that actually could work out well for the Packers in the end.
I think the Packers are waiting this thing out until at least training camp. They are hoping he will jump back on board, but they aren't going to cave before then.

But you're exactly right. If he doesn't report to training camp and even if he sits out the first game or two and the Packers can tell he might seriously sit the entire season out, you have to move him. It would be a dereliction of duty not to.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you actually read my entire post?

How would the Packers forcing Rodgers to retire instead of trading him for a bunch of assets help the team and Love specifically?

Why would you want to forget about Rodgers? He is still the Packers #1 asset, whether he plays for them or is traded. Sitting him in a corner and let what value he has left to the organization just rot away, because you want to make a power play? That sounds more like an ego move more than one that actually could work out well for the Packers in the end.
It might as you suggest be just an ego move… or it could be a more long term message that the team will not capitulate to players’s demands when they are under contract. Even when it seems like the best move in the present.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A worse record due to fewer assets is more enjoyable than a potential dynasty?

Look, I’m here for enjoyment and entertainment. Both scenarios give me that, so I honestly do not care what happens.

Like I’ve said before, it doesn’t change my day to day life if the Packers suck or if they’re good.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Packers are waiting this thing out until at least training camp. They are hoping he will jump back on board, but they aren't going to cave before then.

But you're exactly right. If he doesn't report to training camp and even if he sits out the first game or two and the Packers can tell he might seriously sit the entire season out, you have to move him. It would be a dereliction of duty not to.

Rodgers will report, GB will guarantee the rest of his contract, and they’ll trade him for the 2022 season just like they’ve planned on. Rodgers isn’t going to pass on the money, and his “legacy” will take a hit if he sits out. He knows that. That’s why he hasn’t gone scorched earth, he’ll save that for after he leaves. This is what he does.

Hell of a player. Crummy person.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This whole thing GETS VERY MESSY if Gute and Co. wait and he doesn't show to training camp. At that point other teams' if smart now are downgrading their offer sheet, because they know Gute and Co. want this crime scene clean and it has gotten more and more bloody now.

That would be the worst case scenario in my opinion when the mess is so large we have to ship him out - and because of this the return isn't nearly what it would have been nor should have been.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It might as you suggest be just an ego move… or it could be a more long term message that the team will not capitulate to players’s demands when they are under contract. Even when it seems like the best move in the present.

As much as that is a part of this, I think you have to weigh what you gain by forcing the NFL's reining MVP into retirement VS what you gain by saying "We prefer putting the team ahead of one guy, so we are going to do what gets us the most long term value for the organization."

So I think we all know the potential "upsides" of trading. What are the upsides of forcing Rodgers to retire?
  • Very strong message to players that the team will not capitulate to players’s demands when they are under contract.
  • Very strong message that the Wardens are in charge of the prison. I say that jokingly, but to some extent its true.
  • Packers get the final say in the matter, at least for 3 years.
Feel free to add to these, I know I am missing something.

Downsides of forcing him to retire:
  • No trade value received for him.
  • NFL players perceptions of the Packer organization (+'s and -'s)
  • 3 years (or more) of "Rodgers talk". "What are the Packers doing with Aaron Flippin' Rodgers?"
  • Final perception of fans/media forcing one of the best NFL players of all times into retirement several years earlier than he wanted.

How often does this happen that its important to make this point of "we make all the decisions here in Green Bay"? Very easy to justify the fact that the policy is flexible, depending on the value of the player. I understand not wanting to give in to what I would call blackmail "trade me or I don't report/play", but I still think the upsides of trading him far outweigh the negative. Trading him ends the situation for the most part. Sitting him just keeps fanning the flames of what is already becoming one of the biggest off field distractions for the Packers since Favre.

Take the picks while you can and use them to try and keep the team competitive, while you look for Rodgers heir apparent.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers will report, GB will guarantee the rest of his contract, and they’ll trade him for the 2022 season just like they’ve planned on. Rodgers isn’t going to pass on the money, and his “legacy” will take a hit if he sits out. He knows that. That’s why he hasn’t gone scorched earth, he’ll save that for after he leaves. This is what he does.

Hell of a player. Crummy person.

Honestly, I think you're right. Most of us knew and envisioned Favre would be embraced back into Lambeau and his love for the organization evident. I honestly am unsure if that ever happens with Rodgers...he doesn't strike me as that type.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This whole thing GETS VERY MESSY if Gute and Co. wait and he doesn't show to training camp. At that point other teams' if smart now are downgrading their offer sheet, because they know Gute and Co. want this crime scene clean and it has gotten more and more bloody now.

That would be the worst case scenario in my opinion when the mess is so large we have to ship him out - and because of this the return isn't nearly what it would have been nor should have been.

GB has no incentive to take a lesser offer because of whatever the public opinion may be. When have they ever indicated they give a **** what we think?

Anyways, I don’t really think you’re right. Logically, it’s not going to get any messier than it is now. He isn’t here. If he still doesn’t show, it’s still just as messy and he’s costing himself a lot of money. And if he didn’t care about money, he wouldn’t have wanted to be the highest paid player.

I don’t know when he’s going to show up, but he’s gonna show up. Everything GB is doing shows that they’re not going to trade him this year. So don’t overreact.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GB has no incentive to take a lesser offer because of whatever the public opinion may be. When have they ever indicated they give a **** what we think?

Anyways, I don’t really think you’re right. Logically, it’s not going to get any messier than it is now. He isn’t here. If he still doesn’t show, it’s still just as messy and he’s costing himself a lot of money. And if he didn’t care about money, he wouldn’t have wanted to be the highest paid player.

I don’t know when he’s going to show up, but he’s gonna show up. Everything GB is doing shows that they’re not going to trade him this year. So don’t overreact.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I do feel him ignoring training camp is much bigger issue than OTAs

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

I'll take a "limping" MVP quarterback.

I would too under normal circumstances but, if the stories are true, he doesn`t want to be here so is he going to give 100% anyway ?. I`d sooner have players who want to play for the Packers myself.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As much as that is a part of this, I think you have to weigh what you gain by forcing the NFL's reining MVP into retirement VS what you gain by saying "We prefer putting the team ahead of one guy, so we are going to do what gets us the most long term value for the organization."

So I think we all know the potential "upsides" of trading. What are the upsides of forcing Rodgers to retire?
  • Very strong message to players that the team will not capitulate to players’s demands when they are under contract.
  • Very strong message that the Wardens are in charge of the prison. I say that jokingly, but to some extent its true.
  • Packers get the final say in the matter, at least for 3 years.
Feel free to add to these, I know I am missing something.

Downsides of forcing him to retire:
  • No trade value received for him.
  • NFL players perceptions of the Packer organization (+'s and -'s)
  • 3 years (or more) of "Rodgers talk". "What are the Packers doing with Aaron Flippin' Rodgers?"
  • Final perception of fans/media forcing one of the best NFL players of all times into retirement several years earlier than he wanted.

How often does this happen that its important to make this point of "we make all the decisions here in Green Bay"? Very easy to justify the fact that the policy is flexible, depending on the value of the player. I understand not wanting to give in to what I would call blackmail "trade me or I don't report/play", but I still think the upsides of trading him far outweigh the negative. Trading him ends the situation for the most part. Sitting him just keeps fanning the flames of what is already becoming one of the biggest off field distractions for the Packers since Favre.

Take the picks while you can and use them to try and keep the team competitive, while you look for Rodgers heir apparent.
You obviously feel more strongly about it than I do. I understand your points. Personally.. I let him sit. It’s already gone on long enough that I’m mentally prepared to watch the Packers without him. We will have to do that eventually anyway. I don’t Have a lot of faith in a lot of extra draft picks in any way compensating for what he did for the Packers on the field. So … you are free to disagree and I respect that, but I’m fine with taking the hard line.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I think you're right. Most of us knew and envisioned Favre would be embraced back into Lambeau and his love for the organization evident. I honestly am unsure if that ever happens with Rodgers...he doesn't strike me as that type.

If his grudge is truly centered on Murphy & Gute then he won't come back until those parties that have aggrieved him are gone. (I'm convinced he keeps an actual list written down like Sheldon in Big Bang Theory)

At this point, I think the Packer's are waiting on Rodgers to state his position/demands publicly rather than this nebulous he said/she said/beautiful mystery mumbo jumbo. I don't think anyone wants to be the bad guy so, they are playing this game right now in hopes that someone the clear bad guy mantle. I bet if Rodgers came out and actually said 'fire Gute or trade me', the Packer's would probably trade him.

Reaction score
You obviously feel more strongly about it than I do. I understand your points. Personally.. I let him sit. It’s already gone on long enough that I’m mentally prepared to watch the Packers without him. We will have to do that eventually anyway. I don’t Have a lot of faith in a lot of extra draft picks in any way compensating for what he did for the Packers on the field. So … you are free to disagree and I respect that, but I’m fine with taking the hard line.
See I can see it both ways. I realize we won’t get an = value in draft compensation. From a purely statistical perspective Rodgers is worth like a day 1 selection + for every season he plays until he retires He’s a generational talent.

That said. Rodgers value is diminishing even after an MVP season. Him turning 38 in the course of this season puts limits on his total worth. Likely 6-7 seasons and he’s finished regardless what he or anyone thinks.

We have to account for his overall value is decreasing (due to age) and his compensation is increasing. There’s a threshold in the market equilibrium curve at which his “value” is waning.

Putting all emotional attachment aside. (We’re obviously human and we get attached) From a purely objective point of view. There’s a strong argument taking multiple day 1-2 draft selections and both shedding his massive payroll hit is now nearing favorable for the franchise.

I’m not a master mathematician, but I think we’re
1-2 years away from that peak efficiency value. That’s where the dilemma is coming into play. He’s smart to have at 40mil today and tomorrow. But he’s leaning poor value by 2023-2024 as his league worth diminishes. Aaron knows it too.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's going to get more money and then we'll be ok if he plays well, and if it ends short for injury or something we'll be screwed. Pretty much how I see this ending.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Yup. Been saying that since the draft. The longer the Packers wait, the less they get in a trade. I understand them wanting to see if Rodgers will flinch, but even if he does, to what end? Rodgers wants changes, what those changes are could be as minor as a new contract, the firing of Gute, trading of Love or he simply has decided that he won't ever play for the Packers again. Sounds like the Packers have tried to make changes, maybe Aaron made some concessions too? If it gets as messy as Aaron not showing for mandatory practices and fines are levied, can this really ever be put behind both sides enough, for both of them to be happy long term?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We have to account for his overall value is decreasing (due to age) and his compensation is increasing. There’s a threshold in the market equilibrium curve at which his “value” is waning.

Putting all emotional attachment aside. (We’re obviously human and we get attached) From a purely objective point of view. There’s a strong argument taking multiple day 1-2 draft selections and both shedding his massive payroll hit is now nearing favorable for the franchise.

1-2 years away from that peak efficiency value. That’s where the dilemma is coming into play. He’s smart to have at 40mil today and tomorrow. But he’s leaning poor value by 2023-2024 as his league worth diminishes. Aaron knows it too.

I gave you an agree but wanted to point out that most of your math is exactly what justified picking Love, even if now it seems like it was a year or 2 early. Rodgers having an MVP season in 2021 was a HUGE bonus to the Packers, but very much unexpected based on previous seasons.

At this point, your math and rationale still make perfect sense, but its now at a point that it really doesn't matter because it appears Rodgers doesn't want to play in Green Bay. The Packers front office is very aware of their "bottom line" as to what they can give AR and what could end up being organizational suicide. Sadly, it sounds like Aaron is more interested in talking about differences in philosophies between the 2 sides and maybe doesn't recognize that life will go on in GB with or without him.

Last edited:

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
See I can see it both ways. I realize we won’t get an = value in draft compensation. From a purely statistical perspective Rodgers is worth like a day 1 selection + for every season he plays until he retires He’s a generational talent.

That said. Rodgers value is diminishing even after an MVP season. Him turning 38 in the course of this season puts limits on his total worth. Likely 6-7 seasons and he’s finished regardless what he or anyone thinks.

I have no rational argument to counter you and Poker ... Which is why i’m not digging my heels in and stating I’ll be pissed if we just trade him... that being said, I’m still inclined to play the season ... if he plays great.... if he doesn’t well he can watch from the Jeopardy sound stage lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts