Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I've always asked myself how much money I'd need to earn for 4 to 5 years, to guarantee I wouldn't have to dig ditches for a living, after those years are over.
As someone who has worked with people to try and help calculate that, it really depends on your lifestyle (needed money) and age.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For the top guys yes, for guys who knock around for 3 or 4 years as a journeyman type guy it’s good money but not “set you up for life” money, then you have guys bouncing in and out and from PS to PS… not to mention the ones trying to make it but never quite catch on anywhere
Not much different than a lot of people that I went to college with. They either didn't have the skill level or the desire to make it in the jobs that they found after graduation. Just because a guy doesn't make it in the NFL, doesn't end his ability to do other things and earn a paycheck like the rest of the non-athletes of the world.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As someone who has worked with people to try and help calculate that, it really depends on your lifestyle (needed money) and age.
I believe you should live one or two rungs below what you could be living, to insure that you grow your finances, not subtract from them. That gives you a hedge against situations that can bleed cash. It's not easy, with inflation, etc, but we have to try.

Of course, if you're in that field, you understand that a lot better than I do.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ummmmm you do realize this is what they do for a living? So if your boss says Go Go, we need you to take 2/3 of what you should be paid so we can spread more around to your less skilled co-workers you’d be good with that?
That's the part I have a problem with. How many players who've clearly demonstrated that they shouldn't be paid, sometimes because less skilled players outperform them, continue to shackle the team with their contracts?

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't need no 900K a year to be smart and set up where I could relax to an extent and answer to no one else work wise after 5 LOL

No ****. I mean give me 250K I'd quit my job tomorrow and set myself up in a business in an industry that is growing by leaps and bounds (from my perspective) and I'd be happy.

Ummmmm you do realize this is what they do for a living? So if your boss says Go Go, we need you to take 2/3 of what you should be paid so we can spread more around to your less skilled co-workers you’d be good with that?

Its an unrealistic comparison.

First of all I find it very difficult to believe that anyone could not survive just as well on 10 million dollars a year as they could on 15 or 20. On the other hand it is not inconceivable that the your in your scenario needs every penny to survive. In that situation the "your" would be placed in an extremely difficult position if he were to be asked to take less money.

Then you have to look at why you are doing that job in the first place. If its for the money then yeah the players should be honest and take every dime. If he says its because he wants to win a championship he should know that if he is paid 20 % of all the team has to spend there is less money to get better, albeit lesser than him, talent to try to help insure that this happens. When you Boss asks you to take less just to give it to other people what is the advantage to you? If it helps get better people around you, even though they are less skilled than you are, and that helps the company grow so you can make more money then maybe you would take less. If its just so the boss can make more money then probably not. If its just so others can have more then probably not. It all depends on if there is a benefit to you or what is important.

If you ask me personally I would say no because I know that even if they took money from me and gave it to other people there would be no benefit for me. That and I can barely survive on what I make the way it is.

Now if I were making 10 times what I am and the boss came to me and said if you only took 2/3 of what you are making we would be able to hire some people that would allow us to do this or that with the company and the result would be something that was important to me who knows I might consider it.

For the top guys yes, for guys who knock around for 3 or 4 years as a journeyman type guy it’s good money but not “set you up for life” money, then you have guys bouncing in and out and from PS to PS… not to mention the ones trying to make it but never quite catch on anywhere

I have no sympathy money wise for any person with enough talent to even be considered for an NFL practice squad. It may not be set you up for life but I only know 1 person personally who I know makes more than the lowest PS player.

that 4 year journeyman if he starts his career in 2022 and plays 4 years at league minimum he will have been paid at least 3.66 million in those 4 years.

I know taxes and stuff like that but we all pay those. They will still take home more in their playing days than the vast majority of people will over that same period. No, they won't be set for life but neither are most people who work for 4 years. We might also realistically assume that most of them got a free education that they could presumably fall back on. Perhaps they might be able to use some of the money they did receive to set themselves up in a business or career that will support them.

Some get injured and may have difficulty for the rest of their lives. Those I do have sympathy for. I'm sure there are some that fall victim to a variety of schemes or addictions or what have you that prevent them from utilizing their assets to their fullest but that doesn't mean they didn't have the opportunity. Then there are probably those who are just to stupid to survive on their own.

All in all if a person has the talent to be placed on an NFL practice squad for the most part that person has more advantages financially than most people have and I won't be shedding a tear for them.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
No ****. I mean give me 250K I'd quit my job tomorrow and set myself up in a business in an industry that is growing by leaps and bounds (from my perspective) and I'd be happy.

Don't be contacting me again about that Crazy Magic Mike thing you wanted me to work in with you!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I believe you should live one or two rungs below what you could be living, to insure that you grow your finances, not subtract from them. That gives you a hedge against situations that can bleed cash. It's not easy, with inflation, etc, but we have to try.

Of course, if you're in that field, you understand that a lot better than I do.
Surprisingly enough, most people underestimate what they can spend on themselves out of their retirement funds and still have enough at the end. Now if the markets all go to heck in a hand bag, for a long period of a time, then we all are in for a world of.....

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
That's the part I have a problem with. How many players who've clearly demonstrated that they shouldn't be paid, sometimes because less skilled players outperform them, continue to shackle the team with their contracts?
Guaranteed contracts are what shackle bad players to teams. I am not saying Bahk is now a bust, but the Packers just paid him a sh*t load of money, he barely played this season and they are shackled so tightly to him, that they will continue to pay it for at least another year.

The whole problem with most sports, is that you are paying a guy based on projected future performance. Not on what he actually is going to do, but what he has already done. Which 30 or so years ago wasn't that big of a deal. Then guaranteed contracts/amounts rolled in. Which to me is saying "We guarantee to pay you this amount, no matter if you play good, bad or not at all." That part has ruined football IMO. Maybe not the guarantees themselves, but the amounts that are guaranteed is just sickening.

Reaction score
Guaranteed contracts are what shackle bad players to teams. I am not saying Bahk is now a bust, but the Packers just paid him a sh*t load of money, he barely played this season and they are shackled so tightly to him, that they will continue to pay it for at least another year.

The whole problem with most sports, is that you are paying a guy based on projected future performance. Not on what he actually is going to do, but what he has already done. Which 30 or so years ago wasn't that big of a deal. Then guaranteed contracts/amounts rolled in. Which to me is saying "We guarantee to pay you this amount, no matter if you play good, bad or not at all." That part has ruined football IMO. Maybe not the guarantees themselves, but the amounts that are guaranteed is just sickening.
Yea. There really should be a leaguewide contingency plan for a team who’s player misses significant time. Such as if he misses 50%+ of the contests the employing team only pays 50% of his contract that season. Obviously With a Salary floor at 20-25% or whatnot

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Yea. There really should be a leaguewide contingency plan for a team who’s player who misses significant time. Such as if he misses 50%+ of the contests the employing team only pays 50% of his contract that season. Obviously With a Salary floor at 20-25% or whatnot
Yeah I get when you are injured on the job, that you should be taken care of. But when you are getting paid $20M/year to perform and you are injured and can't, not sure how still getting paid that $20M is equitable to all sides.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
900K is certainly a lot of money but after agents taxes etc. you probaly wind up with MAYBE $500K and you’re spending some of that…. Current conventional wisdom from any financial planner who isn’t a scam artist will tell you that you can draw 2-2.5% per year from your nest egg. If you need $100K a year to be comfortable you would need $4-5M saved. I don’t think too many 20-something year old athletes think in these terms, which is why very very very few of them leave the game “set for life”… if I were their advisor there is no way on gods green earth I would tell them to grab every dollar they can while they can and save for when the ride stops (which in almost all cases is way earlier than they think). When’s the last time you saw a team say “well…. Jimbo has lost a step and he’s hitting our cap pretty hard but he’s a great guy so we’ll keep him and let this better younger faster cheaper guy go”….. NEVER…. Yeah they find jobs for a few guys after football in the organization but there’s just nowhere near enough seats on the lifeboat. This is business people… always has been… Lombardi sent people packing ALL the time… he kept the guys he felt gave the team the best chance of winning.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I get when you are injured on the job, that you should be taken care of. But when you are getting paid $20M/year to perform and you are injured and can't, not sure how still getting paid that $20M is equitable to all sides.
Because if you don’t give those very very few players who command $20M garaunteed money… another team will. NFL contracts are not garaunteed, many players can be released at will with no cap implications… those superstars who commanded big up front bonuses as part of the free agent process or to keep them from testing those waters is a different matter

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Because if you don’t give those very very few players who command $20M garaunteed money… another team will. NFL contracts are not garaunteed, many players can be released at will with no cap implications… those superstars who commanded big up front bonuses as part of the free agent process or to keep them from testing those waters is a different matter
Look at all the contracts in the NFL with guaranteed money and get back to me. The Packers list just in itself is nuts.

In case you didn't know where to look or you think I am not telling the truth. Here is a site to look at....look under the column "G-Teed @sign". That is the guaranteed money. Be sure to scroll way down...past 600 players.

I understand why teams use them, but the fact that this kind of money can be guaranteed, shows you just how perverse the money has gotten in the NFL.

Last edited:

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
900K is certainly a lot of money but after agents taxes etc. you probaly wind up with MAYBE $500K and you’re spending some of that…. Current conventional wisdom from any financial planner who isn’t a scam artist will tell you that you can draw 2-2.5% per year from your nest egg. If you need $100K a year to be comfortable you would need $4-5M saved. I don’t think too many 20-something year old athletes think in these terms, which is why very very very few of them leave the game “set for life”… if I were their advisor there is no way on gods green earth I would tell them to grab every dollar they can while they can and save for when the ride stops (which in almost all cases is way earlier than they think). When’s the last time you saw a team say “well…. Jimbo has lost a step and he’s hitting our cap pretty hard but he’s a great guy so we’ll keep him and let this better younger faster cheaper guy go”….. NEVER…. Yeah they find jobs for a few guys after football in the organization but there’s just nowhere near enough seats on the lifeboat. This is business people… always has been… Lombardi sent people packing ALL the time… he kept the guys he felt gave the team the best chance of winning.
If you're only getting a 2-3% ROI, you're not using your money properly to be honest. If you have millions, that's fine, because the total available is high at that figure.

With $5 mill, I can guarantee you that I would be pulling down over 10% without batting an eye. It's all in where you put the money to work. To me, owning rental property is a good deal at this point. Buy low, renovate, rent high, and after it's showing huge profitability, sell for an arm and a leg, and watch how you made over 25% a year on the investment. The trick is to not become too attached to those nice rental payments, because they can end with a down swing.

With $1 mill, I can buy an old warehouse with good bones, and turn it into a yuppeeville paradise, and walk away doubling that money in just a short period of time.