Rodgers reportedly disgruntled, does not want to return to the Packers

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers “legacy”…. That’s so seriously tarnished right now…. Whiney little bi-otch that won a lot of regular season games
I don't entirely disagree but that's a harsh and unfair take. The media has blown most of his drama-filled career way out of proportion to no fault of his own. Same situation with Favre...they have to pick on the stars in the small markets (Giannis, Braun, Danica for other recent examples)

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm curious to see if Adams gets extended by then. If he does, I would lean towards a packaged trade with him and Rodgers next year.
Any extension of Adams will likely include a large signing bonus which would have huge negative 2022 cap ramifications if they trade him since it would all count immediately.

My guess is any Adams deal will be structured so that they get the optimal cap situation in 2022. Large signing bonus small year 1 salary. If the cap is set to jump in 2023 getting the most relief in 2022 will be the goal.

Something like, and the numbers are just for example not meant to be actual, 5 years 25 million SB , 1 million salary in 2022, higher in 2023 with more guaranteed and going up from there.

Maybe its just the optimist in me but I think the Packers are prepared to make Adams the highest paid WR in the league (deservedly so) and I think Adams is prepared to take it. I don't think what happens to Rodgers will have any bearing on Adams' extension other than perhaps the timing of it. They may wait a bit longer just to see what they have to work with but even though players have shown support for AR I think they realize they have to play for themselves. Adams doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would hold the Rodgers situation against the Packers unless they are truly ******** him over and I don't think they are.

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As my long gone Grandma used to say. "Crap or get off the pot". Why can't you (Rodgers) just make a decision already? I'll tell you why. Cause you have made yourself a mess that you can't blame on anybody but YOU. That goes against your very nature. Always somebody else at fault. Go away. I for one am just so sick of this BS. Sick of hearing your diatribe. Sick of seeing your stupid grin. Please heed Grandmas words.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Adams doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would hold the Rodgers situation against the Packers unless they are truly ******** him over and I don't think they are.

Yet he has mentioned it (Rodger's situation) a few times as one that the outcome of it, will make him think more about his decision. Don't get me wrong, I love Davante and hope he is a Packer for a long time, but just like Rodgers, if he doesn't want to be in Green Bay, trade him while he has value. Gute can't F this up and let Davante simply play out his contract and walk away in free agency because he wants to play for someone else and get nothing but a comp pic in return.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers “legacy”…. That’s so seriously tarnished right now…. Whiney little bi-otch that won a lot of regular season games

I disagree. If he comes back and plays, and plays well, this offseason tantrum will fade from memory. If he were to opt out--that will hang like a millstone around his neck forever.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While Rodgers could opt out and not forfeit $18m he otherwise would have lost with a hold out--the Packers would still get significant salary cap relief if he opts out. From a salary cap standpoint it is much better he opt out as compared to trading him right now to avoid an opt out.

Article here:

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yet he has mentioned it (Rodger's situation) a few times as one that the outcome of it, will make him think more about his decision. Don't get me wrong, I love Davante and hope he is a Packer for a long time, but just like Rodgers, if he doesn't want to be in Green Bay, trade him while he has value. Gute can't F this up and let Davante simply play out his contract and walk away in free agency because he wants to play for someone else and get nothing but a comp pic in return.

If it comes down to Adams simply not wanting to be here then yes, I would agree with you but so far I have seen nothing that would indicate that is the case. I don't think anything he has said can be taken that way. I think there would be more rumblings if Davante was having issues with the team and didn't want to be here. I would think that yes, what happens with Rodgers would have some sort of impact on his decision but I don't think it is anywhere near what some people think i.e. if Rodgers is gone Adams won't sign an extension. I've heard people say the longer his extension takes the better the odds he doesn't sign one but I disagree. With so much being up in the air with the AR situation I think the Packers are taking a wait and see how that shakes out approach with anyone else. I would hope that if that is the case Adams and his agent have at least been told that is the way it is. I also think they would be understanding. Some have said that if Rodgers doesn't come back we should trade Adams and get a haul for him because no matter who is the QB a guy like Adams would be wasted on them. I think that is just foolish. A guy like Adams will make anyone who plays QB better.

Adams probably won't sign an extension before TC starts and maybe not until the Rodgers thing is settled but I am confident that it will get done. My guess right now would be either the Tuesday or Wednesday before the new season kicks off but it could be sooner if the Rodgers situation is worked out before then. It seems that many people involved don't want those kinds of talks going on during the season.

By the way, is anyone still alive in the Rodgers trade date pool? Seems like most people had the first week in June as T-Day

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As my long gone Grandma used to say. "Crap or get off the pot". Why can't you (Rodgers) just make a decision already?
I'm not defending Rodgers here because I think he's acting like a j@ck@ss. But didn't he already make a decision? As far as I know his decision was he wasn't going to play in GB anymore, and he's demanded to be traded. But the front office is sitting on their hands hoping he'll change his mind. That's how I read it, anyway.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm not defending Rodgers here because I think he's acting like a j@ck@ss. But didn't he already make a decision? As far as I know his decision was he wasn't going to play in GB anymore, and he's demanded to be traded. But the front office is sitting on their hands hoping he'll change his mind. That's how I read it, anyway.
Did you actually hear that from him?

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Me thinks maybe Adams and his agent are playing this drama on their end much better than Rodgers or the GB FO are.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I disagree. If he comes back and plays, and plays well, this offseason tantrum will fade from memory. If he were to opt out--that will hang like a millstone around his neck forever.
Agree. "What have you done for me lately?"

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
This isn't a guy that just wants more money, it is a guy that has outwardly said that he disagrees with how the Packers do business. He walked away from the NFLPA last year due to the same thing. He didn't like that they didn't listen to him and he took his ball and went home.

So without a total frontal lobotomy of Rodgers, the organization, his teammates, the media and the fans, I don't think this is ever fully "behind us". Call me a pessimist, but I don't see a clear path to Rodgers career continuing and ending in Green Bay in a harmonious, peaceful kind of way.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This isn't a guy that just wants more money, it is a guy that has outwardly said that he disagrees with how the Packers do business. He walked away from the NFLPA last year due to the same thing. He didn't like that they didn't listen to him and he took his ball and went home.

So without a total frontal lobotomy of Rodgers, the organization, his teammates, the media and the fans, I don't think this is ever fully "behind us". Call me a pessimist, but I don't see a clear path to Rodgers career continuing and ending in Green Bay in a harmonious, peaceful kind of way.

I'm sure you're right about there being a lack of harmony and peacefulness going forward but that doesn't bother me. Just give me MVP type performance on the field and you can be a nuisance off the field all you want.

I'm 100% convinced that Rodgers doesn't put up an MVP effort in 2020 without Jordan Love being drafted. The dude feeds off of feeling slighted.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who the QB is should factor into the decision of any elite WR looking for a team. As well as:

1. Money
2. Opportunity to win
3. Offensive system
4. Team location
5. Friends on team or coaching staff

And a few others.

I'm sure if AR is gone, signing with GB is less attractive, but we may make up for it in other areas.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm 100% convinced that Rodgers doesn't put up an MVP effort in 2020 without Jordan Love being drafted. The dude feeds off of feeling slighted.

Having 0% fan interaction on the road and operating in near silence to diagnose the defense was a pretty good bonus too.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting note on the no crowd thing...while Rodgers is the clear and unquestioned master of the hard count, apparently Jordan Love is no slouch either.

Andy Herman spent some time watching Loves college tape and came to the conclusion that Love is the best he's ever seen at manipulating the defense pre snap at the college level...strong praise and a good sign for Love

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting note on the no crowd thing...while Rodgers is the clear and unquestioned master of the hard count, apparently Jordan Love is no slouch either.

Andy Herman spent some time watching Loves college tape and came to the conclusion that Love is the best he's ever seen at manipulating the defense pre snap at the college level...strong praise and a good sign for Love
There are a lot of QBs that are good at the hardcount. Rodger's has such a reputation now and he is less effective. He also uses it too much to be really effective when it counts. His rep is from before imho.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a lot of QBs that are good at the hardcount. Rodger's has such a reputation now and he is less effective. He also uses it too much to be really effective when it counts. His rep is from before imho.

Oh I don't agree with that about Rodgers at all...I just heard Bakh talk about it on NFL radio and from listening to him you can tell Rodgers is not just living off his previous rep...he's still the master.

It's not just how many times you see the defense jump and Rodgers takes a shot on a free play. It's probably more importantly on every down, according to Bakh he keeps the rushers from getting any kind of jump and that extra split second can make all the difference. Bakh said it gives him a huge advantage. So it's not just the hard count and I should of said that, its everything that goes into manipulating the defense pre snap...

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh I don't agree with that about Rodgers at all...I just heard Bakh talk about it on NFL radio and from listening to him you can tell Rodgers is not just living off his previous rep...he's still the master.

It's not just how many times you see the defense jump and Rodgers takes a shot on a free play. It's probably more importantly on every down, according to Bakh he keeps the rushers from getting any kind of jump and that extra split second can make all the difference. Bakh said it gives him a huge advantage. So it's not just the hard count and I should of said that, its everything that goes into manipulating the defense pre snap...
You nailed it. Earlier I wanted to type pretty much exactly that but was too lazy, so thanks. It isn't about the offsides anymore so much as getting in the defensive players' heads and making them think about the hard count every snap.

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Florio seems to have a different take on it than a few other reports. Even if Rodgers can opt out, I don't see much of an advantage for him to do so, it would just seem to shift the scenario forward another year. That of him not wanting to play for the Packers and the Packers saying "fine, sit out then." Maybe in Aaron's mind it would be one step closer to forcing a trade? IMO, it makes Rodgers look like an even bigger **** than he has up to this point.
Yeah if Rodgers went the opt out route, he would be one of the biggest ****s in Packers' history.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You make some very good points although I would say that waiting until the very last second to hike the ball takes away from all that. And I disagree a little about drawing them offsides is not so important. I still think he is not as effective as he used to be. And I do think about that during the games while he is doing his thing.