Rodgers is NOT the problem

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know that was just an illustration of a few plays, but where there's smoke there is fire, and I don't think a great play designer would have any of those plays in his arsenal. The fact that the receivers are covered so consistently lead me to believe they play design is very vanilla. And explains why we weren't ever very productive against great defenses. The matchups just negated this issue against most teams when Jordy was around.

This is a really good thought... Something I hadn't considered before when it comes to our recent struggles against top defenses.

To me personally I think the biggest thing we lack lately in play-calling is a system set up specifically to address the strengths and weaknesses of our players. Cobb is about the only one I see some sense of creativity from but even that I feel is limited to putting him in the backfield as a matchup nightmare.

When you look at route concepts. As you mentioned should a quad curl route ever be part of a gameplan? Maybe it's just me, but my high school playbook didn't even have something that mundane in it. The only way I see that working is if there is a huge deep threat and thus they are allowing a big cushion. And still that only works for that person not of the other 3.

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
What conditions do you think were set by the organization? The CBA mandates a minimum amount of cash that teams must spend over the course of two separate four-year periods beginning in 2013. Before this season there were a few lists of teams that have to spend more money to meet their first four-year goal and the Packers weren’t on it.

Just because you meet your quota, doesn't mean you can't opt to spend more, within the cap ...

I don’t know why some fans don’t accept that it’s simply Thompson’s sincere belief that ‘draft and develop’ is the best way to build and sustain a team. BTW, according to Holmgren that was Thompson’s belief when he, Thompson and Reinfeldt were in Seattle. Certainly Paul Allen wouldn’t have put any such condition on the Seahawks.

7 years ago I had The same opinion, however, and even though I'm still not a fan of TT, I must admit, he's done pretty much what was afsked of him and more.

What Paul Allen did not do, I don't know, but over the years I've had the opportunity to speak with some People, that has changed some of my opinions regarding TT ...

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Just because you meet your quota, doesn't mean you can't opt to spend more, within the cap ...
Again, what conditions do you think were set by the organization? And do you have even a shred of evidence to support your opinion?

4Ever4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know that was just an illustration of a few plays, but where there's smoke there is fire, and I don't think a great play designer would have any of those plays in his arsenal. The fact that the receivers are covered so consistently lead me to believe they play design is very vanilla. And explains why we weren't ever very productive against great defenses. The matchups just negated this issue against most teams when Jordy was around.

This offense is based on specific timing patterns and the receiver being where they are supposed to be. The problem is, the receivers can never get to where they are supposed to be prior to AR running for his life or getting hit. Or, when they get there they have a defender step for step and AR is not going throw into extremely tight coverage with this group, maybe a trust thing???

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is a really good thought... Something I hadn't considered before when it comes to our recent struggles against top defenses.

To me personally I think the biggest thing we lack lately in play-calling is a system set up specifically to address the strengths and weaknesses of our players. Cobb is about the only one I see some sense of creativity from but even that I feel is limited to putting him in the backfield as a matchup nightmare.

When you look at route concepts. As you mentioned should a quad curl route ever be part of a gameplan? Maybe it's just me, but my high school playbook didn't even have something that mundane in it. The only way I see that working is if there is a huge deep threat and thus they are allowing a big cushion. And still that only works for that person not of the other 3.

That was an embarrassing play design for an NFL team. And the play with the two slant routes ending up at the exact same spot on the field where the LB is zone coverage= :poop:. It seems like defenses are much more successful at taking advantages of what MM gives them than vice versa.

You'd think man coverage would be easy to take advantage of, even with the current receiving Corp. A slant route with a pick essentially takes the CB out of the play momentarily. Rodgers sitting back in the pocket during a slowly-developing play is not a recipe for success, given how the line has been and how antsy he is.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Jordy, Finley, younger James Jones's and Randall Cobbs, and of course back when Greg Jennings was still here too.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well I think you're just playing the percentages with that. There are a total of 2 coaches in the last 21 years to win multiple Super Bowls.

Gonepackin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's be honest, I'd want to compare the obese coaches to non-obese coaches? It reflects team fitness.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Let's be honest, I'd want to compare the obese coaches to non-obese coaches? It reflects team fitness.

Ok with that logic, find out how "fit" all the losing coaches are..

Mike Holmgren was pretty big.

To be honest --saying a team wont win a SB based only on how fat the coach is, is pretty ridiculous

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
When you're right, you're right: You hit this one perfectly! The fitness of a HC is directly related to the fitness and play of his team. That's why this guy:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

never amounted to anything and why this guy:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

is headed for the NFL Hall of Fame.

And, as everyone knows, McCarthy has gained 40-50 pounds since Super Bowl XLV. He was slim and trim for that season.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to admit it was kind of funny when Boomer Esiason said the Packers had a running back that looks like he ate their other running back.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Inter-what? I just read the notes attached to the pigeons, write my responses, and attach it back onto the pigeon. What the neighbor kid does with these messages, I have no idea.

Wait...you guys are allowed to have pigeons?

Lainatan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To some of the folks in here saying bench Rodgers? Or trade him? Lol you guys can't be serious. Rodgers is the reason why the Packers are even in the playoffs...even if this current offense does stink. No other qb in the league could run for his life every other play and make the throws Rodgers can make. Not Cam, not Brady, not Manning...zilch. Yes he's missed some.. but it happens from time to time and no one completes 100%.

This is a down year for him I would never argue that but blame coaching and management for the bulk of it. lol so many times on Sunday night Collinsworth pointed out how the Vikings defense took away the crossing routes and patterns the Packers like to run and MM NEVER adjusted. In fact the guy has always stunk when it comes to making adjustments and The realist in here know I'm right. How many times did we see Vikings defenders just sitting there in lanes waiting for Packers Wrs to just run to them ? Because I honestly saw it the entire night. Rodgers best passing plays came off broken plays...again like they have all season. How was Cobb a non factor in another big game? Why not put him in the backfield and let him work the Vikings lbs? You kinda like what Turner tried to do with to ours..if Teddy was as accurate as Rodgers he would've thrown at least 3 tds all to his rbs because he actually has a guy who gets it calling the plays. That IHOP menu mccarthy calls a play sheet is just sad. It's got about 200 plays on it but he calls the same 10 plays haha. No creativity or anything. I'd pay to see Sean Payton coach this team and offense. If he got all that production out if noodle arm drew Bree's I can only imagine what he could do with Rodgers.

I understand where you're coming from and the frustrations are shared. However, this team is a different team than in years past. This league is a different league than in years past. Rodgers is a 2 time MVP and has won a Super Bowl! Our expectations on how Aaron is playing is clouding our judgement of him and this offense. They are 10-6. That's not a bad record. Watching last nights game in Washington you can see that Rodgers appears to be throwing the ball too far for our receivers to get to. Do you think that would be the case if Nelson was on the field? Do you think that would be the case if Montgomery hadn't gotten hurt? Much of what football players perform with is muscle memory. Rodgers throws are coming from a place where Nelson would be speeding down the line and be able to catch up to (or have to slow down to) catch. We as a fan base have been spoiled with all this success! And to be honest the TV analysts probably read these types of comments and add it to their broadcast just for the sake of stirring us up.......for the ratings.

I know I'm rambling but fact is we have a team that is playing well enough to make it to and now win in the playoffs. Stop making it seem like we are the Cleveland Browns or the Tennessee Titans. We don't suck compared to the league, we "suck" compared to our own success. Enjoy the season and root these guys on to another Super Bowl!!! Let's be fans and do our job by showing the Packers we're behind them because you know some of them read these things and get discouraged when all it is is negativity. We're in the playoffs for the 7th straight year!!! We just won a playoff game and get to exact revenge on Arizona this Saturday. And if the Rainy City B@*ch Pigeons can hold up their end of the deal and beat the Panthers, then we can have a re-match of last years NFC Championship only this time in OUR house.
It is possible and its up to us to help root them on.

4Ever4Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nelson hasn't played a game all year. His "muscle memory" should have ran out by now. It is his job to understand the speed of his current receivers and put the ball where they can get it. Rodgers picked it up for sure last night but he is still off a little.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Watching last nights game in Washington you can see that Rodgers appears to be throwing the ball too far for our receivers to get to. Do you think that would be the case if Nelson was on the field? Do you think that would be the case if Montgomery hadn't gotten hurt? Much of what football players perform with is muscle memory. Rodgers throws are coming from a place where Nelson would be speeding down the line and be able to catch up to (or have to slow down to) catch.
Welcome to the board, Lainatan!

According to this espn website, Nelson was targeted 73 times in 2012 and 151 times in 2014. http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/11270/jordy-nelson According to nfl stats, Rodgers threw 552 passes in 2012 and 520 in 2014. (I excluded 2013 because Rodgers played about one-half of the season). If these numbers are approximately correct, even in a season in which the Rodgers to Nelson connection led to Nelson’s catching 98 passes for 1,519 yards, about 70% of passes went to other receivers. Even though I believe Nelson was targeted on long passes more than any other receiver, I don’t buy the muscle memory theory of why Rodgers is missing receivers more often than he has in the past. Also, I'm sure Rodgers has thrown many long passes to others in this year's TC and in practice since Jordy's injury. (BTW, I’m not sure what your point was about Montgomery: Why would his presence improve Rodgers’ accuracy on long balls regarding your muscle memory theory?)
We don't suck compared to the league, we "suck" compared to our own success. … Let's be fans and do our job by showing the Packers we're behind them because you know some of them read these things and get discouraged when all it is is negativity. ... It is possible and its up to us to help root them on.
I agree the Packers only "suck" as compared to their own success, not with regard to the league. However, I hope there isn’t a single Packers player who would get discouraged by the negativity of fans posting on any internet site. If they are affected at all, IMO the proper response would be motivation to prove those fans wrong. But I don’t think that happens much either because IMO a player who needs that kind of motivation or one who would be discouraged by what anonymous fans write wouldn’t last long in the NFL.

Last edited:

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nobody is THE problem, but they all play a part. Rodgers plays his part. He's still pretty good, but the INT rather than a TD to Jones is indicative that he definitely is playing his part.

Just yesterday he missed Cobb wide open for a TD. Over threw him by about 4 yards. That's his fault and his alone. He's done that multiple times this year.

Members online