Rodgers is NOT the problem

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just yesterday he missed Cobb wide open for a TD. Over threw him by about 4 yards. That's his fault and his alone. He's done that multiple times this year.

Seriously though, have you ever thrown into 30 mph gust to a guy running 20+ MPH, and had to put it within a 2 foot radius.?.

I am one of Rodgers harshest critics... But come on. He missed a lot early. Got the hang of it and balled out after that. Unlike cousins who continued to do the same thing the entire game.

I'll give Aaron the benefit on this one, and watch to see what he can do next week without whether being a factor and his confidence much higher.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I give TT-or whomever it was that made the decision to draft Rodgers- 100% credit for the pick. It's why I have been a TT supporter up to now, and even that is wavering. I agree that it's likely they would be gone without that draft pick.

He drafted an outstanding trio of CBs, a pretty good WR and an ILB who is already starting and playing well. How could you miss that? At least 2 or 3 of them have pro bowl potential.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously though, have you ever thrown into 30 mph gust to a guy running 20+ MPH, and had to put it within a 2 foot radius?

First, I'm not a professional QB. Second, we don't know what the wind speed was at that moment. You're assuming 30 mph. Second Cobb doesn't run anywhere near 20 mph. He runs about a 4.45 40-yard dash from starting blocks on a track without pads. That's about 18.4 mph. In pads, weaving through traffic and making cuts he's probably not running a tick over 12-13 mph. Fourth, he has more than a 2 foot catching radius.

This was a throw Rodgers usually makes pedaling backward throwing off the wrong foot.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, I'm not a professional QB. Second, we don't know what the wind speed was at that moment. You're assuming 30 mph. Second Cobb doesn't run anywhere near 20 mph. He runs about a 4.45 40-yard dash from starting blocks on a track without pads. That's about 18.4 mph. In pads, weaving through traffic and making cuts he's probably not running a tick over 12-13 mph. Fourth, he has more than a 2 foot catching radius.

This was a throw Rodgers usually makes pedaling backward throwing off the wrong foot.

Well considering LB Mingo who ran a 4.58 40, could run over 20 mph...

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/barkevious-mingo?id=2540140

#4 on this page
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...en-stats-peterson-recaptures-famed-fifth-gear

And JJ who is much slower than Cobb goes over 21 MPH

http://www.packers.com/media-center...es-Jones/26fcba56-eab9-48c9-ab3b-77fcf1b5494a

Nice math there... But it was hopelessly off. At the age of 32 and not in the greatest shape, I can run over 12 mph. lol

Second your right, we don't... What we do know is that it was gusting that hard. Which means you need to adjust, and if you adjust and the wind stops while the ball is in flight it will greatly affect it. You dont need to know the speed at the throw. You just need to know it was a factor.

Any other in-depth analyses?

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Love the argument about how fast the receiver was running! :D [caution blatant lie approaching]And yes, just the other day I threw a football into a 40 mph gust of wind at a friend who was kind of jogging (we're both old) and ... and ... it boomeranged back to me and I caught it![/lie]

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Love the argument about how fast the receiver was running! :D [caution blatant lie approaching]And yes, just the other day I threw a football into a 40 mph gust of wind at a friend who was kind of jogging (we're both old) and ... and ... it boomeranged back to me and I caught it![/lie]

Lol just saying it was a difficult throw... BUT when someone throws it out there that world class athlete runs 12 mph. Come on now.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He drafted an outstanding trio of CBs, a pretty good WR and an ILB who is already starting and playing well. How could you miss that? At least 2 or 3 of them have pro bowl potential.

Names, names. Pretty sure the first two are Randall and Rollins. After that, I need help.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seriously though, have you ever thrown into 30 mph gust to a guy running 20+ MPH, and had to put it within a 2 foot radius.?.

I am one of Rodgers harshest critics... But come on. He missed a lot early. Got the hang of it and balled out after that. Unlike cousins who continued to do the same thing the entire game.

I'll give Aaron the benefit on this one, and watch to see what he can do next week without whether being a factor and his confidence much higher.

Rodgers wasn't great on Sunday. He wasn't bad but he certainly missed a number of wide open throws. He missed Cobb twice on the same type of throw, one that he usually makes. Rodgers is very good but he was about average on Sunday.

D

Deleted member 6794

Thompson has hit on some draft picks over the last five years but overall his record isn't that great since 2011.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I made mention of this elsewhere, but I think the wind yesterday had a big effect on the game, so I was surprised that Buck and Aikman didn't really bring it up. Points scored with wind: 40 Points scored into wind: 13 Both Cousins and Rodgers appeared to struggle with it at times. The momentum of the game totally shifted in the 2nd quarter when the Packers had the ball and the wind at their backs. It was a gamble that paid off, but I believe the Packers chose to have the wind for the 4th quarter.

LarrysCrookedFinger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well considering LB Mingo who ran a 4.58 40, could run over 20 mph...

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/barkevious-mingo?id=2540140

I see nothing in that link to indicate he runs 20 mph.

Peterson has run 40 yard dash in the 4.3's... MUCH faster than Cobb.

Same as first... there's nothing in that link to back up your claim.

Nice math there... But it was hopelessly off. At the age of 32 and not in the greatest shape, I can run over 12 mph. lol

Regardless, NFL QBs make that throw all the time. Rodgers used to be automatic with it. Not this year.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I see nothing in that link to indicate he runs 20 mph.

Peterson has run 40 yard dash in the 4.3's... MUCH faster than Cobb.

Same as first... there's nothing in that link to back up your claim.

Regardless, NFL QBs make that throw all the time. Rodgers used to be automatic with it. Not this year.

He said #4

Here it is
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

RRyder

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson has hit on some draft picks over the last five years but overall his record isn't that great since 2011.

Well its decent in imo just not great but fair enough.

But simply looking at last year's class in a vacuum I have a hard time understanding how anyone could look at it as anything else but a home run at this point

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As the best player in the league (arguably one of the best QBs ever), don't we expect Rodgers to make these high degree of difficulty throws? Doesn't he need to be as pinpoint and great as we've seen him in order for this team to win? To keep in in perspective, ARod left a lot of throws on the field in Washington and tbh just had a solid game. I'm sick of making excuses for him. He has to be tremendous in order for this team to succeed. Until I see him as on point as he was in the dome against the Falcons in 2010, my confidence in him will remain a bit shaken. Granted, those 2010 receivers aren't walking through the door, so it's his job to elevate the level of play around him. It's going to take a herculean performance to win this one, let's see if he has it in him.

Last edited:

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As the best player in the league (arguably one of the best QBs ever), don't we expect Rodgers to make these high degree of difficulty throws? Doesn't he need to be as pinpoint and great as we've seen him in order for this team to win? To keep in in perspective, ARod left a lot of throws on the field in Washington and tbh just had a solid game. He has to be tremendous in order for this team to succeed. Until I see him as on point as he was in the dome against the Falcons in 2010, my confidence in him will remain a bit shaken. Granted, those 2010 receivers aren't walking through the door, so it's his job to elevate the level of play around him. It's going to take a herculean performance to win this one, let's see if he has it in him.

I don't disagree in your general thought. Rodgers needs to make those passes. All I am adding to the conversation is that it isn't like he missed a 4 yard screen pass in a dome with no pressure. No quarterback in the history of the NFL, has ever gone a career without missing a pass. Things happens. I am of the opinion to give a guy a break.

But I do disagree with it taking a herculean effort by Rodgers to win the game Saturday. It's going to take a herculean effort by EVERYONE to win. Rodgers alone can't win a game. Remember the 2009 playoff game. Rodgers throws for 423 yards 4 touchdowns... In a loss.

The offensive line and defensive line and linebackers have to play out of their minds in my opinion. Yes, the better that Rodgers plays the better odds we have. But if the line blocks like last time its all a moot point because he will never get a chance to throw the ball.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well its decent in imo just not great but fair enough.

But simply looking at last year's class in a vacuum I have a hard time understanding how anyone could look at it as anything else but a home run at this point

This year's draft class looks really good although it's way too early to make a fair evaluation.

Overall I think Thompson gets too much credit for his draft performance because of his selection of Rodgers. Other than him he has drafted only one more player that has made the first All-Pro team (Matthews) and a total of only nine players who have made it to the Pro Bowl.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This year's draft class looks really good although it's way too early to make a fair evaluation.

Overall I think Thompson gets too much credit for his draft performance because of his selection of Rodgers. Other than him he has drafted only one more player that has made the first All-Pro team (Matthews) and a total of only nine players who have made it to the Pro Bowl.

This statement confuses me... What is that in comparison to? Like are you saying the NFL average over the last 8 years is 5 first teams and 15 all pro draft selection? Just trying to figure out what the baseline is.

D

Deleted member 6794

This statement confuses me... What is that in comparison to? Like are you saying the NFL average over the last 8 years is 5 first teams and 15 all pro draft selection? Just trying to figure out what the baseline is.

I don't have the time now to compare it to other teams (will be able to do it later in the day) but a total of three first All-Pro (out of 297 total) and 20 Pro Bowl selections (946 total) over the last 11 seasons is for sure below average.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have the time now to compare it to other teams (will be able to do it later in the day) but a total of three first All-Pro (out of 297 total) and 20 Pro Bowl selections (946 total) over the last 11 seasons is for sure below average.

Yes, but that is all players... Not those drafted by a specific GM. I bet a good number of those Pro-bowlers were drafted by a GM that either A. Doesnt exist in the league anymore. or B. has been replaced or moved to a different team.

Just to get an idea... Since 2008. Draft picks only.

New England:

2008 Draft
Slater (5x Special teams)
Mayo (2x)

2009 Draft
None

2010 Draft
McCourty (1x)
Gronk (4x)

2011 Draft
None

2012 Draft
Chandler Jones (1x)

2013 Draft
Collins (1x)

2014 Draft
None

2015 Draft
None

So a total of 6 Pro-Bowlers... 14 Pro-bowls total. 5 of which came from a special teamer only. Are you sure that those numbers would be that much better for anyone else draft class?

And even if they were slightly different... Would it mean anything consider we are ahead of arguably the best 15 year run in NFL history by a single franchise?

Arod2gjdd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't disagree in your general thought. Rodgers needs to make those passes. All I am adding to the conversation is that it isn't like he missed a 4 yard screen pass in a dome with no pressure. No quarterback in the history of the NFL, has ever gone a career without missing a pass. Things happens. I am of the opinion to give a guy a break.

But I do disagree with it taking a herculean effort by Rodgers to win the game Saturday. It's going to take a herculean effort by EVERYONE to win. Rodgers alone can't win a game. Remember the 2009 playoff game. Rodgers throws for 423 yards 4 touchdowns... In a loss.

The offensive line and defensive line and linebackers have to play out of their minds in my opinion. Yes, the better that Rodgers plays the better odds we have. But if the line blocks like last time its all a moot point because he will never get a chance to throw the ball.

Agreed. It's going to take the best game of the year from everyone on the field, and I think we can get it. These guys seem highly motivated. Having Shields would be nice, any word?

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
For as much flak I've been Giving Rodgers over the years, it was a totally different Rodgers we saw on the field, both his attitude and demeanor seemed changed, and it was great to see a "changed" team ...

pacmaniac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's been a down year for Rodgers, but it didn't start this season. He was off his game against Seattle in the NFCC last season too.

D

Deleted member 6794

It's been a down year for Rodgers, but it didn't start this season. He was off his game against Seattle in the NFCC last season too.

He was playing on one healthy leg during that game vs. the best defense in the NFL though.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts