Rodgers broken collar bone.. Season ending??

D

Deleted member 6794

As he (#12) did in the Bengals and Cowboys victories this year.

While that's definitely true for the Cowboys game Rodgers' pick six vs. the Bengals was a major reason the team found themselves in a significant hole at halftime.

No, I am not spoiled, I take my football wisdom from Lombardi. "You play football to win championships". The key word is championship. When that goal is not in the equasion you do what is best for the franchise and not what spoiled fans want to see. In this situation, you develop younger players by giving them a ton of snaps and rest veterens to extend their careers so the Rodgers window doesn't close any sooner than has to.

There's absolutely no reason to give up on the season at this point with the Packers being 4-2 and tied for the division lead. You never know, the team might win five games to finish 9-7 possibly being good enough to win the division with Rodgers returning for a playoff run.

While I'm in favor of developing young players the team definitely shouldn't rest healthy veteran starters.

I see what you're saying about Hundley, but if he proves worthy of being a starter in this stretch then he's gone after 2018 regardless. So if he should prove to be a player of that caliber, I would be in favor of cashing in on him. The haul that a good young QB scan bring in a trade > one more year of a good backup.

The Packers would receive a third round compensatory pick if Hundley signs a contract to be a starter with another team after the 2018 season though. Therefore it might be smart for the team to keep him around as the backup next season as long as they don't receive a better draft selection in return trading him.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a difference between throwing, and throwing at game level. Do you honestly think he is going to be fit enough to go out there at THAT level and kick the snot out of the Vikings ? Please !!!. He`d get permanently injured if they hit him even once.
Yes, actually, I do. And it seems that there is medical precedent for it. Not to mention that this a professional athlete that is known. To take excellent care of his body. I'm not sure why you are so vociferous in your pessimism.

I

Yes, actually, I do. And it seems that there is medical precedent for it. Not to mention that this a professional athlete that is known. To take excellent care of his body. I'm not sure why you are so vociferous in your pessimism.

To answer your question, I am sure he is a professional athlete, but this is a full contact sport, and I do not see this offensive line being able to protect him from further punishment. I`m sorry my pessimism upsets you but I think any further injury to his throwing arm before he is 100% is professional suicide, and selfish on our part to want him to return.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
To answer your question, I am sure he is a professional athlete, but this is a full contact sport, and I do not see this offensive line being able to protect him from further punishment. I`m sorry my pessimism upsets you but I think any further injury to his throwing arm before he is 100% is professional suicide, and selfish on our part to want him to return.
I'm not upset lol.. just curious. Furthermore, I don't think the Packers will bring him back if there is an increased risk of further injury. My daughter Broke a bone in her elbow about a year ago. it was surgically repaired requiring pins in the joint. After 6 weeks the pins and cast were removed and the Surgeon told us that it was fully healed. She was cleared to resume all normal activities. No, she was not playing pro football, but the point is that once the bone has healed, any future injury would be a result of that trauma and the previous injury would be irrelevant.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Therefore it might be smart for the team to keep him around as the backup next season as long as they don't receive a better draft selection in return trading him.

That is true. However, I was imagining a scenario where he plays so well that some team is willing to deal quite a bit more than a 3rd in 2020. If he's merely average and those offers don't come, it does make more sense to keep him as a backup and collect the comp pick in due time.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
There is a difference between throwing, and throwing at game level. Do you honestly think he is going to be fit enough to go out there at THAT level and kick the snot out of the Vikings ? Please !!!. He`d get permanently injured if they hit him even once.

Once again which i don't belive people are understanding is this isn't a ligament or tendon injury. It's a small bone that with screws in and fused together and fully healed is stronger then a normal collarbone. Re-injury won't be that much of an issue. My only issue is that he will be able to throw the ball at same velocity and accuracy coming off injury.

But hey, this is Aaron Rodgers were talking about here. GPG!

I

I'm not upset lol.. just curious. Furthermore, I don't think the Packers will bring him back if there is an increased risk of further injury. My daughter Broke a bone in her elbow about a year ago. it was surgically repaired requiring pins in the joint. After 6 weeks the pins and cast were removed and the Surgeon told us that it was fully healed. She was cleared to resume all normal activities. No, she was not playing pro football, but the point is that once the bone has healed, any future injury would be a result of that trauma and the previous injury would be irrelevant.

I am pleased your daughter fully recovered from her injury, I just think as regards Rodgers, unless he is 110% ready, every team we play will go after him through every game. As I said before, this present offensive line cannot gaurantee his safe protection and I for one would hate to see it happen again. I`d sooner see him return next season FULLY recovered. JMHO

I

Once again which i don't belive people are understanding is this isn't a ligament or tendon injury. It's a small bone that with screws in and fused together and fully healed is stronger then a normal collarbone. Re-injury won't be that much of an issue. My only issue is that he will be able to throw the ball at same velocity and accuracy coming off injury.

But hey, this is Aaron Rodgers were talking about here. GPG!

I fully understand it`s not a ligament or tendon injury but it is a major bone injury to a very important area for a QB, his shoulder. I could bore you with a long story but I wont other than to say I once broke MY collarbone and it was never the same. I`m no multi millionare sportsman but I went through the same trauma at roughly the same age.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am pleased your daughter fully recovered from her injury, I just think as regards Rodgers, unless he is 110% ready, every team we play will go after him through every game. As I said before, this present offensive line cannot gaurantee his safe protection and I for one would hate to see it happen again. I`d sooner see him return next season FULLY recovered. JMHO
I completely agree lol,I just think we have a different perspective on when "fully recovered might be. There is a very good chance that will be after the season ends, but I am still hoping that it will be sooner.

I

I completely agree lol,I just think we have a different perspective on when "fully recovered might be. There is a very good chance that will be after the season ends, but I am still hoping that it will be sooner.

Then we are on the same song sheet. I REALLY WANT him to be ready, but my head says no. I HOPE I`m wrong.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
That is true. However, I was imagining a scenario where he plays so well that some team is willing to deal quite a bit more than a 3rd in 2020. If he's merely average and those offers don't come, it does make more sense to keep him as a backup and collect the comp pick in due time.

If he keeps the Packer in contention until Rodgers comes back he is drawing a 1st round draft pick easy.

CowboysFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay just has to go .500 without Rodgers. Won’t be easy, but having 4 wins already is huge for them. You go 4-4 or even 3-5 and they’re 7-7 or 8-6 by the time Rodgers likely is able to return and they’ll still be in position to win that division in all likelihood or at least a Wild Card spot.

It would be foolish to count them out. They were in this same position four years ago last time Rodgers fractured his collarbone and Flynn was able to win them a couple of games, Rodgers returned for the final week, and they still won the North.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope there's a QB controversy at the end of this :) But I'm not expecting one. .500 football from this team to the end of the year would be good, it would give us a chance.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Can we reserve judgment on the ol until we have a true starters playing?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He can start throwing in 5 weeks...

So he will have 3 weeks after that to get ready.

If all that's true, Carolina, Vikings and lions is when he can play

Starr To Dowler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Was a good play on AB's part, he appeared to be dropping back in coverage, saw AR rolling out "naked" and had an easy shot at him. No Packer was anywhere near Barr to take him out. Hate to say it, but if you want to blame a Packer, have to "blame" AR himself. He probably should have gotten rid of the ball a few seconds earlier, but in AR like fashion, he went all in on the play.

Yeah, it's ironic that as many issues and questions as there are about the offensive line, this injury was completely out of their hands. No Packer blocker was even in the same zip code. The closest he came to a lineman was 7 yards.

Mostly it's just one of those things that happen in a football game, but if there was ever any way to prevent this, it would have been Rodgers dumping the ball a second earlier. He was looking right at the guy; he knew he was coming full speed and unimpeded, and that he was going to take a shot. I'm not saying it was a stupid play by Rodgers, because I'm sure that in that moment it just looked like any one of a dozen routine hurries he sees in any given game - I'm just saying that maybe he could have been just a little bit smarter.

Dont get me wrong; I love that Rodgers is so tough. But he needs to understand that at age 33 he's enterering a stage of his career where every year it's a little more important to play smart rather than tough. If one of the outcomes of this is that he comes away a little more shy about taking a shot to buy an extra second or two, that'll be a good thing. At his age, he needs to start thinking about extending his career and maybe not quite so much about extending every play.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, it's ironic that as many issues and questions as there are about the offensive line, this injury was completely out of their hands. No Packer blocker was even in the same zip code. The closest he came to a lineman was 7 yards.

Mostly it's just one of those things that happen in a football game, but if there was ever any way to prevent this, it would have been Rodgers dumping the ball a second earlier. He was looking right at the guy; he knew he was coming full speed and unimpeded, and that he was going to take a shot. I'm not saying it was a stupid play by Rodgers, because I'm sure that in that moment it just looked like any one of a dozen routine hurries he sees in any given game - I'm just saying that maybe he could have been just a little bit smarter.

Dont get me wrong; I love that Rodgers is so tough. But he needs to understand that at age 33 he's enterering a stage of his career where every year it's a little more important to play smart rather than tough. If one of the outcomes of this is that he comes away a little more shy about taking a shot to buy an extra second or two, that'll be a good thing. At his age, he needs to start thinking about extending his career and maybe not quite so much about extending every play.
He starts playing "smart" as another way of saying conservative, and that which makes him the best ever is gone. It is the intangibles that define him, not just the precision and brains. Shit Brees gave you that today.

Members online

Latest posts