Rodgers a loyalist.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta love unions for millionaires. Gotta love guaranteed money. Well, no I don't. Loved it in the old days when I understood the salaries and the guys had to work in the offseason.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way many players were treated in the old days was just not right. The owners were gobbling up the money and that is the only thing a lot of them cared about. That was the reason they did not want free agency. They wanted the ability to completely control a person. It was so obviously wrong (to me) and the owners really had no hearts. At least that was the case starting with Pete Rozelle when the NFL started making real money. Most likely before that; there was not a lot of money. But even then there should have been contracts and when they were up; a player should have be able to go where they wanted. Home...Family...or money.

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very easy to say that when you are the highest paid QB ;)
If Rodgers played out his deal. He could have named his price with a hand full of teams.... Top of the game. Peak age. wins a superbowl in 2011... He got like what? 22mil/yr for a LOOOOONG term franchise contract... He couldve added 20% to that or more, if he went to the highest bidder.

IMO.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rodgers played out his deal. He could have named his price with a hand full of teams.... Top of the game. Peak age. wins a superbowl in 2011... He got like what? 22mil/yr for a LOOOOONG term franchise contract... He couldve added 20% to that or more, if he went to the highest bidder.

IMO.
The most interesting part though, is to say anything other than that both parties have benefitted handsomely from this contract would be under-selling. How often does that actually happen with that size of a contract?

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The most interesting part though, is to say anything other than that both parties have benefitted handsomely from this contract would be under-selling. How often does that actually happen with that size of a contract?
That comes when a person isnt strictly thinking about himself. Some realize they could get %20 more, and they start packing their bags. Rodgers looked at the system, the coaches, the team, the state of wisconsin fan base and world wide, for that matter. And he took a team deal that works for everyone... As a future benefit, HOF, Hero, he gets the girl. Not just a girl... Gets in the good old boy network. Playing golf with the president and such... Seems like an easy decision... But those millions of dollars he passed on speaks loudly to players who dont think this way.
Loyalty.....

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The guy just gets it. Theres more to life than money... He simply does his job here, and he will be a hero for the rest of his years. When the world is trying to ****** you, he doesn't change. Same woman, same team, same goals.... I respect that. Its becoming a lost trait in a world of me me me and now now now...

Rodgers is getting paid a **** ton of money to play football in Green Bay so the "There' more to life than money" thing doesn't make sense to me. If you mean he is playing out his contract while others around him are getting bigger deals then yeah, I suppose that's true but still its not like he is a pauper. My guess is that if this were the last year on his contract his next one would break all records.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's no way Rodgers would have been able to sign with a team of his choice after the 2014 season as the Packers would have put the franchise tag on Rodgers last offseason. That would have resulted in him earning 18.5 million in 2015.

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

IMO.

His current contract is till 2019, right? That will make him 35 or 36 yo when he plays it out. Will he get the same value then as he has now?

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
His current contract is till 2019, right? That will make him 35 or 36 yo when he plays it out. Will he get the same value then as he has now?
Did Manning, Brady, Brees take pay cuts after 36 years old? We will most likely have to give him more to finish his career here. Im thinking he will hang up the cleats before then though. Manning Brady Brees were motivated to break records...

Last edited:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We will most likely have to give him more to finish his career here.

Let's see. For me, this contract is his peak. Prime form, settled in team and if we are going to climb the heights this is it. He'd still be top draw but I'd be really surprised if he becomes better at 37 than now!

D

Deleted member 6794

Did Manning, Brady, Brees take pay cuts after 26 years old? We will most likely have to give him more to finish his career here. Im thinking he will hang up the cleats before then though. Manning Brady Brees were motivated to break records...

Brady restructured his contract several times to help the Patriots gain additional cap space.

Rodgers has mentioned several times that he wants to play another six to eight years so the Packers would be smart to extent his contract early again to keep him in Green Bay for the rest of his career while saving some money compared to letting him hit free agency.

I think Rodgers isn't interested in chasing records but will stay motivated because of the chance of winning another title.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Brady restructured his contract several times to help the Patriots gain additional cap space.

Rodgers has mentioned several times that he wants to play another six to eight years so the Packers would be smart to extent his contract early again to keep him in Green Bay for the rest of his career while saving some money compared to letting him hit free agency.

I think Rodgers isn't interested in chasing records but will stay motivated because of the chance of winning another title.

He restructured several times but he didn't give up any money and eventually that bonus money will have to count (salary money may not.) Restructuring is necessary when you give guys insane amounts of money salary wise and you might not really expect them to play out the deal but they play so well you can't get rid of them so you have to restructure. These players getting these 50, 60, 70 thousand dollar plus deals are all candidates for restructure because their final year salaries are usually so huge that teams convert the same amount of money to bonuses so they can stretch it out and get the cap relief. If I were Tom Brady I'd play for a million dollars a year too as long as they wrote me that 28 million dollar check when I signed. If and when that time comes it wouldn't surprise me to see Rodgers do the same thing Brady did. He may restructure but I don't see him giving anything back.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Restructuring doesn't mean pay cut. Brady's new deals just changed when and how the money was given to save money for a single season.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta love unions for millionaires. Gotta love guaranteed money. Well, no I don't. Loved it in the old days when I understood the salaries and the guys had to work in the offseason.

Yeah, back in the days when the billionaire owners had all the power! Today's game doesn't give the billionaires enough control!

D

Deleted member 6794

He restructured several times but he didn't give up any money and eventually that bonus money will have to count (salary money may not.) Restructuring is necessary when you give guys insane amounts of money salary wise and you might not really expect them to play out the deal but they play so well you can't get rid of them so you have to restructure. These players getting these 50, 60, 70 thousand dollar plus deals are all candidates for restructure because their final year salaries are usually so huge that teams convert the same amount of money to bonuses so they can stretch it out and get the cap relief. If I were Tom Brady I'd play for a million dollars a year too as long as they wrote me that 28 million dollar check when I signed. If and when that time comes it wouldn't surprise me to see Rodgers do the same thing Brady did. He may restructure but I don't see him giving anything back.

Restructuring doesn't mean pay cut. Brady's new deals just changed when and how the money was given to save money for a single season.

Both of you are right about Brady not giving up any money by restructuring his contract several times. It's probably not the best way to ensure not running into salary cap issues down the road but possibly a fitting approach once Rodgers gets close to the end of his career to improve the chances to win another title.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Both of you are right about Brady not giving up any money by restructuring his contract several times. It's probably not the best way to ensure not running into salary cap issues down the road but possibly a fitting approach once Rodgers gets close to the end of his career to improve the chances to win another title.

In some cases it can be a way to prevent the need for a complete rebuild. Push money out and then bite the bullet for one season when the superstar is gone and as long as that doesn't come at the cost of too many other high priced starters you may only experience a slight bump. Teams like the Packers who seem to stock themselves with lower priced but talented first contract players are better set to withstand it. I think next off season will be the biggest challenge for the Packers regarding this and eventually it does come to a head.

As far as Brady goes its hard to argue with what they have done.