rodgers a future nfl HC?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In positive he would make a great one. Its almost seems to me that our coaches might be wise to take more of his advice humbly. True MM taught him. But it's possible the 2 time MVP, and superbowl champion QB , MIGHT? Have something substantial to add, other than just following direction?

This reminded me of the time our backup QB Flynn broke the packers single game all time yardage and td record with Rodgers calling the plays the first half......

Respect. Then relax. :) imo.

Speculating into the future though. Could we hope to see Rodgers on our sideline calling the plays some day? I sure do... I think he is a true professional with very high football iq. A born leader.

I thought favre would be a good coach too. Maybe no Hc but qb, or Oc maybe?

They lead by example with huge built in respect factor with young guys who watched them star, while growing up.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The job would be too demanding of his time. He'll have all the money he'll ever need by the time he retires, plus a (probable) wife with which to spend quality time raising a family.

Hard to imagine in this day and age when the top players can stockpile enough money for a small village to retire on, that they would want to keep working (in Football) after they hang up their cleats.

Not that it really would tarnish what they did on the field, but the legacy of a Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers in a failed coaching attempt might be something else that would keep them from even wanting to try coaching.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In positive he would make a great one. Its almost seems to me that our coaches might be wise to take more of his advice humbly. True MM taught him. But it's possible the 2 time MVP, and superbowl champion QB , MIGHT? Have something substantial to add, other than just following direction?

Oddly enough I think it's the complete opposite problem. I think they need to reign him in and make him realize that he isn't above authority or criticism. That this isn't everyone elses problem but his as well. Belichick still gets on Brady to this day. No matter his accolades.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doubt he would coach. Sure he has the knowledge. But does he really have that head coach leadership? I can maybe see him do some commentary as he has done a few times in the past. But I think when he retires, Rodgers will want his privacy

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
In positive he would make a great one. Its almost seems to me that our coaches might be wise to take more of his advice humbly.
• If "In positive..." was meant to be "I'm positive..." you have no reason to be. The best field general QB in Packers history - who not only took part in game planning but called nearly all the plays during the game and was trained by the best HC in NFL history failed as a HC. Also, I'll bet Rodgers has no interest in coaching. To become a HC, he'd have to spend those 14+hour days working his way up the coaching ladder. Why would a guy with a net worth of $100M+ who owns a record label and has a passion for music want to do that?

• Curious timing on this thread. It's not a big deal of course but I'd expect this after a Rodgers' MVP season.

• Regarding the coaching staff taking more of Rodgers' advice - again the timing could hardly be worse for this suggestion. He and (probably his closest friend on the staff) Clements had more to do with the game planning and play calling than ever before until the Dallas game.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to imagine in this day and age when the top players can stockpile enough money for a small village to retire on, that they would want to keep working (in Football) after they hang up their cleats.

Not that it really would tarnish what they did on the field, but the legacy of a Brett Favre or Aaron Rodgers in a failed coaching attempt might be something else that would keep them from even wanting to try coaching.

Who was the last great player or even pretty darn good one to become a successful HC. Granted there is a lag time as they work their way up (gone are the days of retiring as a player and coming in 2 or 3 years later ala Starr) as a top level coach. It takes years to build up to it. One guy I'm watching is Edgar Bennett. He is one of my favorite Packer players and I love the idea that he is working his way up. I don't know if he will ever reach the top but I'm hoping some day he will. I do think his position as OC is a bit of a misnomer given that I don't think his position in GB has many of the same responsibilities as OCs elsewhere but he is still a young guy in the coaching game. If he has the ability I'm sure his time will come.

I'm reminded of the saying "those who can't do teach"

I' m also reminded of the card my brother got me when I received my substitute teacher certificate. It read "Those who can't do teach and those who can't teach substitute teach."

G0P4ckG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Favre is more likely to become a HC than Rodgers....and even with Favre it is a very slim chance.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think he seems like the coaching type. I imagine him holding too many grudges and being too impatient to be successful.

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

This reminded me of the time our backup QB Flynn broke the packers single game all time yardage and td record with Rodgers calling the plays the first half......

Respect. Then relax. :) imo.

Speculating into the future though. Could we hope to see Rodgers on our sideline calling the plays some day? I sure do... I think he is a true professional with very high football iq. A born leader.

I thought favre would be a good coach too. Maybe no Hc but qb, or Oc maybe?

They lead by example with huge built in respect factor with young guys who watched them star, while growing up.

If Rodgers had his way in terms of scheme we'd throw it 50+ times a game with 4-5 draw plays.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doubt it. I feel like Peyton is the only future coach out of the bunch.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
I can't think of a single successful NFL QB who became a successful NFL HC. Help me out here... Bart... Norm Van Brocklin...Otto Graham... I'm sure there were more but for the life of me I can't think of them.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't think of a single successful NFL QB who became a successful NFL HC. Help me out here... Bart... Norm Van Brocklin...Otto Graham... I'm sure there were more but for the life of me I can't think of them.

Jim Harbaugh? Depends on your definition of successful and better coach than player. But was AFC player of the year, went to Pro Bowl, and was second in MVP race that year. Not deserving to be in the names of the guys you listed that's for sure.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Never even crossed my mind ... Really I only remember him as a freepin' Bear, you know?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Jim Harbaugh? Depends on your definition of successful and better coach than player. But was AFC player of the year, went to Pro Bowl, and was second in MVP race that year. Not deserving to be in the names of the guys you listed that's for sure.

I've always liked Harbaugh as a coach and I think he is already proving (again) his abilities at Michigan. IMO San Francisco got rid of the wrong guy when they let him go. GM Baalke seems to be letting the wrong guys walk in FA, while making poor choices on who he signs or keeps, dangerous combination.

Sky King

Reaction score
I've always liked Harbaugh as a coach and I think he is already proving (again) his abilities at Michigan. IMO San Francisco got rid of the wrong guy when they let him go. GM Baalke seems to be letting the wrong guys walk in FA, while making poor choices on who he signs or keeps, dangerous combination.
That may serve as a plausible reason for the alleged friction between them.

98Redbird

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Rodgers would be a terrible head coach... and honestly I can't even put my finger on exactly why. It just seems like a position that doesn't fit at all. Regardless of how talented a player he is/was.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kevin says no.

Honestly there is just no way I see this happening. The time commitment, the stress.....not remotely worth it to a highly paid hall of fame player. If anything you take the Elway (and future Peyton Manning) route to the GM chair.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Kevin says no.

Honestly there is just no way I see this happening. The time commitment, the stress.....not remotely worth it to a highly paid hall of fame player. If anything you take the Elway (and future Peyton Manning) route to the GM chair.

Or just hang out on a beach in the tropics with Olivia and live happily ever after.....

OP
OP
G

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After your arguments, I question, would I stay in the fire after I retire at 38 a hundred millionaire? yea, I doubt it :) I would mine gold and stamp my face on the bars. I would build frank Lloyd wright type log homes out of da big logs. A huge sailboat with M60's mounted front and back, and possibly a helicopter on top. Because there are pirates out there, and Im not going out like that... :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts