Rival Watch

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
That's fair you guys but let's remember we beat The Vikings the first time, and held Cook to roughly 50 yards. So it's a question of which Vikings team do you think they are more like. For me I think a lot of things went their way last time including rough winds, questionable calls, etc. No way do I see Cook running over our Dline like he did last game. I think we'll be so focused in trying to have Cousins beat us with his arm, because we know how much they rely on Cook. Again this is just me, but that win they got against us was a fluke. Call it me being bias, call it me being a sore loser, those are all fair and valid points, especially when it comes to this team in particular. I think we match up very well with Minnesota and more times than not we beat the breaks off them like we did in week 1.

We're likely going to deal with one of these running backs in the playoffs anyways, so it's kinda pick your poison. But again I get I'm in the minority. The ONLY reason why I would want to play Minnesota again is so we can knock them out of the playoffs. That's all.

I agree that the Vikings are in my top 3 of teams I would LOVE to knock out of the playoffs, but I think there are better match-ups for the Packers than the Vikings. I also put a lot more weight in their last meeting than their first. With that said, between now and the playoffs, either or both teams could get better, worse or stay the same.

Also, Delvin Cook did not have as big of game in Meeting #1 because he only ran the ball 12 times (50 yards) due to the Vikings playing catch-up most of the game. So don't let that fool you, in the last 3 games against the Packers, Cook has been a huge pain in the butt:
  • 62 rushes for 367 yds (5.91 ave.)
  • 7 TD's
  • 6 receptions for 98 yds (16.3 ave)

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that the Vikings are in my top 3 of teams I would LOVE to knock out of the playoffs, but I think there are better match-ups for the Packers than the Vikings. I also put a lot more weight in their last meeting than their first. With that said, between now and the playoffs, either or both teams could get better, worse or stay the same.

Also, Delvin Cook did not have as big of game in Meeting #1 because he only ran the ball 12 times (50 yards) due to the Vikings playing catch-up most of the game. So don't let that fool you, in the last 3 games against the Packers, Cook has been a huge pain in the butt:
  • 62 rushes for 367 yds (5.91 ave.)
  • 7 TD's
  • 6 receptions for 98 yds (16.3 ave)
Out of curiosity what are the other two teams you'd like to meet?
For me personally it's (in no order) Minnesota, Tampa, and Seattle.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikings still have to play Jags, Bucs and Saints. I'd not be surprised it they went 7-9 or worse and missed the playoffs.

OP
OP
XPack

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What the forum's views on Rams?

They've been blowing hot and cold and quite inconsistent. Cards will win the division due to easier schedule leaving Rams as potential wildcard.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's fair you guys but let's remember we beat The Vikings the first time, and held Cook to roughly 50 yards. So it's a question of which Vikings team do you think they are more like. For me I think a lot of things went their way last time including rough winds, questionable calls, etc. No way do I see Cook running over our Dline like he did last game. I think we'll be so focused in trying to have Cousins beat us with his arm, because we know how much they rely on Cook. Again this is just me, but that win they got against us was a fluke. Call it me being bias, call it me being a sore loser, those are all fair and valid points, especially when it comes to this team in particular. I think we match up very well with Minnesota and more times than not we beat the breaks off them like we did in week 1.

We're likely going to deal with one of these running backs in the playoffs anyways, so it's kinda pick your poison. But again I get I'm in the minority. The ONLY reason why I would want to play Minnesota again is so we can knock them out of the playoffs. That's all.

Umm, and I bolded that part because what kind of weather do you expect to have out in Lambeau in early January? Last I checked there aren't any plans to put a roof on it.

For the record, hey if we get Minny, we get them, and if we got a healthy squad with our CBs healthy on defense and Lazard back on offense, sure, we could probably knock em out. Nobody here would deny laying the beatdown on these clowns and reminding them they're not superbowl material would be awesome.

BUT .... I tend to agree with Pokerbrat2000's assessment because there's no question the Vikes have improved, and I'd say any notion that Zimmer was on the hot seat is getting debunked very quickly. I just think having division rivals not make the playoffs is better than wishing for them to. And cold weather games usually tend to feature more running the ball and not as much shootouts, which assuming we would have that game, it'd certainly benefit them more so than us, unless MP can suddenly magically fix the run defense in 2006 Colts fashion.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

They've been blowing hot and cold and quite inconsistent. Cards will win the division due to easier schedule leaving Rams as potential wildcard.

Actually I'm picking the Rams over both bird teams out there because they got a better defense than both of them.

Now, I do think the Rams will have to win in TB on Monday night to do it, which could be a tough task for them. But I just got this strange feeling they will pull it off. But I'm calling the Cards to finish third there because they won't get the lucky hail Mary plays week in and week out.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vikings still have to play Jags, Bucs and Saints. I'd not be surprised it they went 7-9 or worse and missed the playoffs.

Sorry, but I'm afraid we simply made the Jags look good because we came out flat last Sunday. They didn't just suddenly go from a stink show to a "watch out for us" team. Just about zero chance a team that got murdered by the Lions at home is winning in Minny.

Now if there was one of the mediocre teams who had a chance of beating Minny, I'd give it to Carolina. Bad record but they have given some good teams like NO and KC a run for their money. Only question is whether Bridgewater's knee injury is serious or just a short week to week one. But anyway, they're the only one of these next three crappers playing Minny who I'd give any shot of winning, and only if both Bridgewater and Robbie Anderson are playing.

Hopefully Winston ends up filling in Brees's shoes just fine, and even if he's not rated as highly as Bridgewater was in that position last year, so far Sean Payton has seemed to know what he's doing in selecting his backup QBs. Big question is how much will he put on Winston's shoulders to win.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Well, I would put both Arizona and Seattle on the top two list. Partly because we're overdue to beat the Cards down after 2018, 2015, and 2009, and they're one of the worst cold weather teams in the league. I think we'd rip right through that no defense red bird team. Seattle has been bad in Lambeau too so ... same thing there.

Do7

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I would put both Arizona and Seattle on the top two list. Partly because we're overdue to beat the Cards down after 2018, 2015, and 2009, and they're one of the worst cold weather teams in the league. I think we'd rip right through that no defense red bird team. Seattle has been bad in Lambeau too so ... same thing there.
Congrats on your 200th like!

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If they don't make it that's fine. The only reason why I would want them in there is so we can eliminate them. That's all, but I get it.

I would love to be the team that eliminates them as well but as many Packer fans say just make it and anything can happen. I don't want even an infinitesimal chance that that anything could be the vikings winning.

D

Deleted member 6794

That's fair you guys but let's remember we beat The Vikings the first time, and held Cook to roughly 50 yards. So it's a question of which Vikings team do you think they are more like.

The Vikings are currently playing at a significantly higher level than they did in week 1. There's no doubt the Packers have enough talent to beat them anyways but their running game would have me concerned entering a playoff game.

They've been blowing hot and cold and quite inconsistent.

The Rams 2-3 record against teams outside the NFC East isn't impressive by any means.

Now if there was one of the mediocre teams who had a chance of beating Minny, I'd give it to Carolina. Bad record but they have given some good teams like NO and KC a run for their money. Only question is whether Bridgewater's knee injury is serious or just a short week to week one.

Bridgewater was able to practice in limited fashion two last two days, he will most likely play this weekend.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seattle's win last night wasn't exactly a good thing. They have the league's easiest schedule remaining, and with a better conference record win any three-way ties with us.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

One of the only truly good defenses in the league.

Goff really struggles with adversity. Heat him up and he folds. So that’s something of a fatal flaw.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seattle's win last night wasn't exactly a good thing. They have the league's easiest schedule remaining, and with a better conference record win any three-way ties with us.
The seahawks D looked pretty good last night. Turning the corner there?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Could be, but it was also a divisional game. It can be harder to extrapolate from those contests. Dunlap helps them though.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I disagree with that notion a bit. Just seemed like the Cardinals were just off and getting sloppy as is kinda typical when playing on a short week. Plus the Hawks had a little bit of home cooking on a missed PI call at the end there. Have to wonder if the refs wanted to make up for missing the PI call last year that cost them the division vs SF.

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seattle and Green Bay both have a 5-2 conference record now. The saints have a 6-1 we have head to head on the Saints but they would win a three team tie. although they will be without brees for a while so I'm sure they will lose a conference game.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

With 7 weeks left that can all change between now and the playoffs. As of today.....I will gladly take on the East Division Winner :D As for the rest of the teams that look like they are in the playoff conversations I would order it from what I view as "best chance to beat to worst chance".
  1. East Champ
  2. Cards
  3. Saints
  4. Bears
  5. Seahawks
  6. Vikings
  7. Rams
  8. Bucaneers
I get some posters notion that beating the Vikings is a sweet playoff win, but it also could be the most bitter playoff loss as well. Just as I would LOVE to get revenge on the Bucaneers from the beat down they gave us earlier, I am just fine not having to face them in the playoffs. I think much like the 49'ers team of last year, we just match up very poorly with them.

Last edited:

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you serious?

I'll have to watch the highlight reel again to get a good look at it, but it looked like Hopkins or Fitz or whoever that was trying to get deep got mugged pretty bad there. I'm not saying Arizona should have won either, but I'd say Seattle did get a little bit of home cooking there.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll have to watch the highlight reel again to get a good look at it, but it looked like Hopkins or Fitz or whoever that was trying to get deep got mugged pretty bad there. I'm not saying Arizona should have won either, but I'd say Seattle did get a little bit of home cooking there.
Don't know which play you are talking about but there was one where the defender had every right to go for the ball. But I was talking about the refs possibly thinking about some call (no matter how important) from last year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Don't know which play you are talking about but there was one where the defender had every right to go for the ball. But I was talking about the refs possibly thinking about some call (no matter how important) from last year.

It's a conspiracy theory! Probably rigged instant replay machines to benefit the Seahawks as well. This stems all the way back from 2016 no doubt and the collusion is wide spread, even includes the red teams! :whistling:

D

Deleted member 6794

There's some hope the Seahawks will either lose to the Rams or Niners in the last two weeks of the regular season. Other than that their schedule seems to be a cakewalk.

Seattle and Green Bay both have a 5-2 conference record now. The saints have a 6-1 we have head to head on the Saints but they would win a three team tie. although they will be without brees for a while so I'm sure they will lose a conference game.

If the Seahawks win out and the Packers lose another game Seattle would win the tie breaker based on record in common games.

If there's a three way tie with the Saints being part of it as well at 13-3 it depends on if New Orleans and Green Bay end up losing another conference game.

Last edited by a moderator:

gatorpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's some hope the Seahawks will either lose to the Rams or Niners in the last two weeks of the regular season. Other than that their schedule seems to be a cakewalk.

If the Seahawks win out and the Packers lose another game Seattle would win the tie breaker based on record in common games.

If there's a three way tie with the Saints being part of it as well at 13-3 it depends on if New Orleans and Green Bay end up losing another conference game.
While that is possible I would think there's a higher chance that we both lose one more game. If we do it's probably this week against the colts and the Seahawks like you said would be vs the Rams or the 49ers. In that scenario the Packers win by conference record.