Right Outside LB

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO a pretty remarkable situation is taking shape in Green Bay at ROLB.

Last edited:

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the main problem is our asslike coverage skills.
Where has sam shields been this year?
Tramon isnt the CB that he was last year either.
And we are missing Nick bad..

If we could force Qb's to hold onto the ball then I really think we would see a huge leap in production as far as rushing the passer goes.

All we have seen all year is opposing Qb's just throwing the ball up and we find there was a blown coverage that just went for 40+ yards.

Helmets

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ready for this...Bishop to ROLB and DJ Smith to the middle. Bishop is better as a pass rusher and his coverage skills have improved over the past two seasons.

Just like the receivers knowing the play, patterns, and assignments for each position, and being able to slide into another position - some of theLB's should have the same versatility. It may be too late in the season to try it - but there are basically two weeks weeks left prior to the playoffs. Doesn't have to be an every down formation, but might be interesting to mix it in and get your - IMO - best four linebackers on the field.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree they should throw a change-up at the opposition and have Clay back at ROLB for most of the time, as he played his rookie year. It would just surprise the team who will have spent most of a week game-planning for us assuming Clay would be at our LOLB spot.

As for as the current cast of peasants, I hope So'oto can get to the QB.... we need someone else to get some sacks on one-on-one opportunities.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I realize that it was later in the game and that the bears o line sucks but So'oto was getting consistent pressure. He wasn't getting sacks but he was forcing the qb to throw as opposed to just standing back there until he was good and ready to throw. Walden and Hawk....lets not forget that Hawk has been god awful since returning....both need to be benched. So'oto to the outside and a combo of DJ and Francois to replace Hawk.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I realize that it was later in the game and that the bears o line sucks but So'oto was getting consistent pressure. He wasn't getting sacks but he was forcing the qb to throw as opposed to just standing back there until he was good and ready to throw.
That's what I was noticing too.... he seems the strongest of all of them, and capable of bullrushing some OTs back into the QB's lap.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Not surprised about Walden, That's a pretty traumatic event to happen in your life. No way it does not affect your on field play. Soto would be cool but that would be reaching. Bottom line is, things have reversed from last year. Instead of our D carrying the team our O is.

We need to be talking more about the O line protecting and run blocking than we do pass coverage. We are gonna give up yards, but as long as we keep getting turnovers and holding in the red zone our D is doing well enough.

The O line has to give Rodgers time to let the routes develop then we can put up the points, even in poor weather. If we can put up points and stop the run I IMHO the D will be good enough. Don't worry too much about the Saints passing machine. Bree's has shown consistently he is no good in cold weather, and he likes to throw picks.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I realize that it was later in the game and that the bears o line sucks but So'oto was getting consistent pressure. He wasn't getting sacks but he was forcing the qb to throw as opposed to just standing back there until he was good and ready to throw. Walden and Hawk....lets not forget that Hawk has been god awful since returning....both need to be benched. So'oto to the outside and a combo of DJ and Francois to replace Hawk.

Agreed. I really like what I see from So'oto when he's in there. Getting to the QB is what you want but getting the QB to get the ball out of his hands before he wants to is just as nice because forcing bad throws, our DB's being the ball hawks they are gives them a chance to make a play on it.

Hawk wasn't even that good before he'd gone out. I really don't understand why he was paid so much money. I think Bishop should be the signal caller.

I think with Ryan Pickett back we should get some much needed help up front being he's probably our best run defender.

tstej

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree they should throw a change-up at the opposition and have Clay back at ROLB for most of the time, as he played his rookie year. It would just surprise the team who will have spent most of a week game-planning for us assuming Clay would be at our LOLB spot.

As for as the current cast of peasants, I hope So'oto can get to the QB.... we need someone else to get some sacks on one-on-one opportunities.
I don't like the idea of moving Clay from LOLB to ROLB because I think Clay plays there because he is so much better against the run. If we move Clay to the left then teams will just start running right and will even have the benefit of having the tight end to help blocking. The problem with our current ROLBs is not only are they not rushing the passer, but they are giving up the run as well. I say we put So'oto in there and at least give him a try, because I think he can at least be better against the run than Walden, Jones, and Zombo have been.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think the main problem is our asslike coverage skills.
Where has sam shields been this year?
Tramon isnt the CB that he was last year either.
And we are missing Nick bad..

If we could force Qb's to hold onto the ball then I really think we would see a huge leap in production as far as rushing the passer goes.

All we have seen all year is opposing Qb's just throwing the ball up and we find there was a blown coverage that just went for 40+ yards.

Our coverage skills aren't the problem. It's the one-dimensional (Matthews) pass rush so far. I don't care if you put Darrell Green, Deion Sanders, Ronnie Lot and LeRoy Butler in your secondary. They can't cover forever and if you don't pressure the QB, you're going to give up yards.

Greenbayphil

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our coverage skills aren't the problem. It's the one-dimensional (Matthews) pass rush so far. I don't care if you put Darrell Green, Deion Sanders, Ronnie Lot and LeRoy Butler in your secondary. They can't cover forever and if you don't pressure the QB, you're going to give up yards.

Dude its not like they are covering forever, take another look at the giants game, its a prime example.
We were close to getting to him a few times and Matthews was getting loads of pressure, manning was just getting the ball out so quickly it wouldn't have mattered if you had the steel curtain chasing him..

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude its not like they are covering forever, take another look at the giants game, its a prime example.
We were close to getting to him a few times and Matthews was getting loads of pressure, manning was just getting the ball out so quickly it wouldn't have mattered if you had the steel curtain chasing him..
I think its a combination. Poor pass rush and poor secondary coverage. And btw, how about the entire defense taking a lesson in tackling? :rolleyes:

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is a 2-way street.... we've had both issues, but I'd say 65% pass-rush problems and about 35% pass-coverage.
I have seen guys blitz off the edge, unblocked, bee-line right at the QB, and the QB still threw the ball to a wide-open receiver for a completion.

Shields, and whoever covers TEs usually.

Our best hope, I think, is if Bishop can get home up the middle on some A-gap blitzes because QB's hate that rush up the middle.

As for moving Clay around: I like it because teams come in with a carefully-planned gameplan, and that's with the assumption that Clay is our LOLB. Forcing the other team to adjust could work to our advantage. And then you can move Clay back to the LOLB spot again for awhile....

Members online

Latest posts