Ricky Jean Francois cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm guessing something is not right on that offensive line. I thought RJF was a decent enough guy and vet player to give us some snaps. Some of these young guys didn't show a whole lot like they were ready. But RJF doesn't play offensive line.

Like I said a few weeks ago, on paper and on film, our OL is only as strong as those starting 5 and even Evans showed some rust or age on Sunday. Let's just hope this doesn't turn into the 2016 CB and RB debacle we saw. For if it turns into that, we won't just be giving up easy TD's, we may lose a FHOF QB and at minimum, we might see AR's frustrations with missed blocks and getting slapped around, alter his mindset and game.

If TT has his eyes on any O-lineman that might provide some depth, now is the time to make that move. Pankey doesn't seem like the answer to me.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
RJF when he heard the news yesterday!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers signed G Darrell Greene to the Practice squad to take Pankeys place. Seems like some possible concerns with the OL depth?
o-line depth has been a concern since it was clear the Packers weren't going to keep lang and tretter. nothing has changed. when you think about it it's a concern every year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
o-line depth has been a concern since it was clear the Packers weren't going to keep lang and tretter. nothing has changed. when you think about it it's a concern every year.

When we had Tretter, Taylor (2015) and even in a pinch, Barclay on the bench, I would say we had more depth. But you are right, losing Sitton, Lang and Tretter in a little over a year has created what I believe to be more of a concern about the depth of our OL (to start the season) than there ever has been in recent memory.

H

HardRightEdge

They must like what they're seeing from Adams and Dial in practice and feel like 5 DL is enough when they're rarely playing more than 2 at any given time.
It looks like something Eliot Wolf might do. Just kidding. Sorta.

Your explanation is concise and quite plausible; they appear to be OK with 4, in fact. Dial was not active in week 1.

Defensive line snap counts per Football Outsiders for week 1:

Daniels 41
Clark 40
Lowry 21
Francois 7

Seattle took 48 snaps. That works out to 2.3 DL per play on average. There's not much base D in those numbers.

4 should only be a problem if the shoe is on the other foot, i.e., the opposing offense is on the field for 39:13 and 74 plays.

H

HardRightEdge

The Packers are over weighting a one-gap attacking style, a 4-3 under alignment but with the "DEs" standing up. RJF would not be the best fit for that scheme.

Or maybe he was talking up firing Capers in the locker room. ;)

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good grief.... there goes the depth. This pretty much guarantees Daniels or Clark are going to get hurt...

Oh the defense is looking good????

Just wait til week 4 or 5 when the big boys start slowing down.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good grief.... there goes the depth. This pretty much guarantees Daniels or Clark are going to get hurt...

Oh the defense is looking good????

Just wait til week 4 or 5 when the big boys start slowing down.
I guess you didn't hear that Montravious Adams was practicing and this guy called Quinton Dial signed too. How many do you think they need?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I guess you didn't hear that Montravious Adams was practicing and this guy called Quinton Dial signed too. How many do you think they need?
As many as it takes to bring the Lombardi back home! ;)

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Kenny Clark, Mike Daniels, Dial, Adams, Dean Lowry. 5 competent or better defensive lineman in a scheme where only 2 of them are usually on the field at one time. I think we are good there and can do plenty of rotating. Plus I think Ringo was released and he may be coming back?

Dblbogey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When we had Tretter, Taylor (2015) and even in a pinch, Barclay on the bench, I would say we had more depth. But you are right, losing Sitton, Lang and Tretter in a little over a year has created what I believe to be more of a concern about the depth of our OL (to start the season) than there ever has been in recent memory.

Tretter, Lang, Sitton got pretty big money. With the salary cap, you lose some guys you don't want to lose, assuming you are arguing we should have kept all or some of them. Personally, I can remember years where we had only 3 competent starters and no decent backups.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Packers definitely had better depth on the offensive line over the past few years than this season.

Kenny Clark, Mike Daniels, Dial, Adams, Dean Lowry. 5 competent or better defensive lineman in a scheme where only 2 of them are usually on the field at one time. I think we are good there and can do plenty of rotating. Plus I think Ringo was released and he may be coming back?

I don't believe the Packers are interested in bringing back Ringo.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't know if that has been mentioned in another thread but most likely Bulaga and Spriggs (hamstring, according to reports he will be sidelined several weeks) missing practice with Bakhtiari (hamstring) being lmited was the main reason the Packers promoted Pankey to the active roster.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Tretter, Lang, Sitton got pretty big money. With the salary cap, you lose some guys you don't want to lose, assuming you are arguing we should have kept all or some of them. Personally, I can remember years where we had only 3 competent starters and no decent backups.

I wasn't arguing anything, nor was I saying the Packers should have retained all 3 players. I would have liked to have seen Lang kept though. What I was pointing out, was that in a little over a year, the Packers lost 3 pretty good Offensive lineman and besides Evans, have attempted to replace them from within their own system. Overall, it is my opinion, the development hasn't kept up with the loss of talent in that one year time frame and because of it, the health of the Packer OL could be a major tipping point in their season this year.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the development has quite kept up either, but then we haven't really had it tested either. and I don't want it to be. Murphy did ok considering the opponent. I think the depth is good enough to be without a guy here or there, but looking at the prospect of both tackles out or injured already? I'm not sure what they're supposed to do. Besides QB, even marginal tackles with any tread left at all are coveted and not cheap. They're starters in this league. about the best I think most teams can wish for is to hit on the development guys and keep them for 2-3 years before they either step in for you and cost you, or go somewhere else and cost some other team. Our guys from the interior were getting 8-10 million per year from other teams. How much do you think a back up tackle with experience and actual remaining skills was going to cost us to be a back up?

We need our tackles to stay healthy.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Simple as that.

We could potentially weather the storm for a couple games without one or the other. Lose both? Yikes.
and I think hold true for almost every single team in the league. It's not a situation unique to the Packers.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Simple as that.

We could potentially weather the storm for a couple games without one or the other. Lose both? Yikes.
That's the great risk for all 32 NFL teams. No one has 4 good tackles. Heck, there is probably less than 35 good starting tackles in the league at any given time.

Edit: Mondio beat me to the reply. The trick is developing serviceable backups. We've been pretty good at doing that over the last 20 years on the offensive line. Campen deserves a lot of credit for that as well as his predecessor.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Understood, but the Packers have been more equip to handle such a situation in the past few years moreso than now.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers definitely had better depth on the offensive line over the past few years than this season.
true but at times it's always been a concern. all the hyperventilating that occurs when barclay plays proves it...and he's played a lot. sherrod and bulaga both were cussed a lot when they were in. all three were starters and number 1 back-ups at one point.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
all the hyperventilating that occurs when barclay plays proves it

Isn't it funny how some people are holding their breath, waiting for Barclay to be able to play again? Sadly, if the guy was healthy, he would probably be considered the Packers #1 backup. Oh wait, that just proved my point of how little quality depth we currently have on the OL.

I get everyone's point that it's impossible to have solid backups across the offensive line, but this feels like the first year that I remember starting the season with nothing but question marks on all the backups. Murphy did a pretty solid job on Sunday, so that is a good sign. Hope for good health of the starting 5 and improvement from the backups appears to be the charted course by TT at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts