Richard Rodgers is now an Eagle

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Not that surprising that the Packers didn't resign RR, but I think he is the perfect 2nd or 3rd string back, at the right price. As long as Graham and Kendricks stay healthy, this was a good no resign and will allow a rookie more playing time.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He could be useful, but we could and should be doing better at the TE position, IMO.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did it feel like he lost a lot of body fat last year? I wonder what he would have done with a good QB.

Fat Dogs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
great hands, just wish you had some wheels. Best of luck R.R. I'll never forget your amazing game winner against the Lions.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nobody will forget the hail Mary against Detroit. Another one that stands out was a big 3rd down catch in the redzone during the *** stomping of Seattle when KJ Wright tried to take his head off. I liked RR. Limited athletically, but IMO could have been a bigger piece to the offense if the other pieces had been healthy throughout. He was a good sized target with great hands. I was 50/50 on keeping him. Good guy, familiar with offense and good hands, but I would be hoping kendricks stepped up and replaced him and Graham is the obvious #1 anyway. We have 2 guys that are more likely to be "the" guy at TE than RR and RR was never going to develop into more than what he was for us. May as well let a young guy try and prove himself.

kevans74

Cheesehead
Reaction score
dude he isn't any good

He's not a bad guy or bad player but he's a borderline number 2... a poor man's Donald Lee

who cares? lol

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Loved the Hail Mary, but not upset in the slightest that he wasn’t re-signed. Cool dude, but very replaceable player

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
With the depth at TE in this draft class, 100% the right move. I would like them to draft a TE by the 5th round whom will likely be cheaper and absolutely have a higher ceiling than RR.

H

HardRightEdge

The good: good route runner, good hands

The bad: slow, poor blocker, never saw a tackle he could break

Meh.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was a decent enough player but I won't lose any sleep over him going to PHI. Someone commented earlier about him never breaking a tackle and man ain't that the truth! He would be running and a 180lb CB would chop him down like nothing. It's like he would drop if you made strong enough eye contact with him. Either way, thanks for some good memories.

Reaction score
RR was a reliable backup. Good Redzone target though and if used properly the Eagles got some value there. He's not a fit for the direction of the team though, the writing on the wall is obvious that we want to get faster on Offense so this makes sense.

Last edited:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has a purpose as a red zone target, but he never should have been our #1 or even our #2 option for as many years as he was.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Will always remember the Hail Rogers miracle!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He came up big for us in crunch time a couple of times. RR sure as hell was reliable. His contract is worth 880k. I'd gladly have paid 880k for reliable TE depth. Another positional group that lacks talented depth and has to be addressed by the draft with preferably a high pick, again. This might be the non-move I am most disappointed about.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He came up big for us in crunch time a couple of times. RR sure as hell was reliable. His contract is worth 880k. I'd gladly have paid 880k for reliable TE depth. Another positional group that lacks talented depth and has to be addressed by the draft with preferably a high pick, again. This might be the non-move I am most disappointed about.

I was one who would have liked to have seen RR back in Green Bay for the reasons you stated. I wouldn't consider this a "non-move" though, since it does sound like the Packers wanted him back as well, but for whatever reason, he decided to move on and sign with the Eagles. Possibly Rodgers didn't like the idea of being 3rd on the depth chart in GB.

https://www.totalpackers.com/2018/03/packers-actually-want-richard-rodgers-back/

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
he's not going to be on the top of the heap in Philly either.
No, he won't push Ertz out of a starting job, but with Burton and Celek leaving in FA, Rodgers is penciled in as the #2 TE. Guessing that if RR had a choice (assumes Packers offered), he saw himself pretty well stuck behind Graham and Kendricks to see playing time in Green Bay.

I think no matter what, Rodgers is in the "prove himself" stage of an NFL players career and I like his chances of being able to do that in Philly.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, he won't push Ertz out of a starting job, but with Burton and Celek leaving in FA, Rodgers is penciled in as the #2 TE. Guessing that if RR had a choice (assumes Packers offered), he saw himself pretty well stuck behind Graham and Kendricks to see playing time in Green Bay.

I think no matter what, Rodgers is in the "prove himself" stage of an NFL players career and I like his chances of being able to do that in Philly.
I'd be very surprised if they went into the season with Rodgers as the #2 TE. Quality depth is something that is actually valued by the Eagles. And I'd be surprised if Kendricks was our #2 TE. I hope that Gute is not content with the mediocrity that TT did not seem to mind.

Members online

Latest posts