Report: Julius Peppers 'appears to be done' with Packers

H

HardRightEdge

I have no problem bringing Peppers back at a salary commensurate with a limited snap rotational player. He has versatility inside and outside and has enough in the tank to be decent on a higher snap count if somebody gets hurt.

Last edited by a moderator:

mongoosev

Cheesehead
Reaction score
really thought he would retire as a pack. too bad. he fit right in.

now we wait...

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I, too, am sorry we couldn't get him a ring. I'm also sorry that he frantically signaled for Burnett to dive down with 5 minutes to go in the NFC Championship Game rather than looking for someone to block to possibly spring Burnett for the game winning pick 6. If he had, perhaps we wouldn't be sorry about either.

I appreciate his contributions and think his play pretty much matched the contract we gave him, but that will always be the play I remember the most of his time here.

D

Deleted member 6794

But would you bet that TT goes out and gets one? I doubt it, but anythings possible I guess!

I wouldn't bet on Thompson signing a veteran pass rusher in free agency but I hope TT finally realizes that he needs to selectively use all methods available to improve the roster to put the team over the hump.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think peppers would be worth having for one more year at 5million. He deserves another shot at a super bowl if he wants and I think he could be an important veteran role player on a super bowl team at a reasonable price say 5 million.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Essentially I'd be in favor of Perry and peppers swapping salaries peppers gets 1 year 5 million deal and Perry gets 3 year 27 million. I get Perry might demand more but idk with his injury history. I also would still hope a first or second round pick was spent on a explosive edge rusher. And just let dan tone jones walk. Resign Jayrone Elliot cheap

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I have no problem bringing Peppers back at a salary commensurate with a limited snap rotational player. He has versatility inside and outside and has enough in the tank to be decent on a higher snap count if somebody gets hurt.

I'm in the same camp as you. At the right price, this is a guy that seems to be the vet leader/teammate you want on the field or in the locker room. If he still has the fire and you can keep him fresh, he is one guy you can count on for a high impact play occasionally and probably worth keeping around.

Of course, this all revolves around the principle that TT won't go after a FA OLB and will only look for one in the draft.

Last edited:

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think peppers would be worth having for one more year at 5million. He deserves another shot at a super bowl if he wants and I think he could be an important veteran role player on a super bowl team at a reasonable price say 5 million.

Agree with the bold. Now, why would he want to re-sign with the Packers? :)

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Agree with the bold. Now, why would he want to re-sign with the Packers? :)

A good place to end his HOF career. If he likes the players/team/coaches/fans and the City, why make a change now to "start all over" with a new team and city.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Vegas currently has the Packers in a tie for 2nd with 12-1 odds at winning the next Super Bowl. I guess they consider teams who made it to the NFCCG with elite quarterbacks "contenders." Weird.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess if you don't think the Packers are a legit SB contender, I understand your rationale and thought pattern.
I don't know that you do. This is a second tier team; not a mid or lower level also ran, but not legit. That gets shown every January, and pretty emphatically last month. Smoke and mirrors, late hot streaks, almost completely dependent on a generational talent at QB playing at- even for him- a high level. You'll get your 10 or so wins and an invite to the dance, but just as a contestant, not prom king .

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Or he could go to a real SB contender, like New England.
It's hard to argue their recent success, but man, they were a very fortunate team last year. Any team in the playoffs besides Houston would have bounced them in their first game. And their comeback against the Falcons was aided more by the Falcons giving them the game back as it was anything they did. Yes they made plays to win, but man were they fortunate the Falcons weren't smart enough to run, run, run kick.

and even then it took some whacky football plays to come together for the win. Congrats for making plays, but if not for a couple of teams gifting them quite a bit, everybody would be talking about their weaknesses.

I don't see any dominant teams. They all have weaknesses, even the good ones.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's hard to argue their recent success, but man, they were a very fortunate team last year. Any team in the playoffs besides Houston would have bounced them in their first game. And their comeback against the Falcons was aided more by the Falcons giving them the game back as it was anything they did. Yes they made plays to win, but man were they fortunate the Falcons weren't smart enough to run, run, run kick.

and even then it took some whacky football plays to come together for the win. Congrats for making plays, but if not for a couple of teams gifting them quite a bit, everybody would be talking about their weaknesses.

I don't see any dominant teams. They all have weaknesses, even the good ones.

Man, with this 16 year run of 'luck', they ought to move to Vegas. As opposed to this unlucky powerhouse we root for.
But I'll give you two thumbs up for your last two sentences.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vegas currently has the Packers in a tie for 2nd with 12-1 odds at winning the next Super Bowl. I guess they consider teams who made it to the NFCCG with elite quarterbacks "contenders." Weird.

Well Vegas said! Maybe everyone should save themselves the painj and bruises, cancel the season, and hand the trophy to Green Bay.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Man, with this 16 year run of 'luck', they ought to move to Vegas. As opposed to this unlucky powerhouse we root for.
But I'll give you two thumbs up for your last two sentences.
The only time i think we've been unlucky in terms of a game play was the 2014 game and from what I saw happen, when a crushed qb was throwing up absolute ducks that were coming down for 2 point conversions and onside kick recovery and all these things that happen once a season happened for a team that was getting their ***** handed to them all game, i do consider it unlucky.

But other than that game, we haven't played well enough to win and other than injury, I wouldn't say were were unlucky. I will say the Pats were lucky to win it this past season. I don't think their history has been luck however. and even with our depleted defense last year i would put our chances against the Pats at better than 50-50. That's how un-dominant I think any of those final teams were last year.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The only time i think we've been unlucky in terms of a game play was the 2014 game and from what I saw happen, when a crushed qb was throwing up absolute ducks that were coming down for 2 point conversions and onside kick recovery and all these things that happen once a season happened for a team that was getting their ***** handed to them all game, i do consider it unlucky.

But other than that game, we haven't played well enough to win and other than injury, I wouldn't say were were unlucky. I will say the Pats were lucky to win it this past season. I don't think their history has been luck however. and even with our depleted defense last year i would put our chances against the Pats at better than 50-50. That's how un-dominant I think any of those final teams were last year.

I kind of agree/disagree, Mondio. I don't think the Pats were lucky; there is no such thing as luck or coincidence. As for '14, we'll likely never see such a thing again, but at the end of the day, we choked, they capitalized.

D

Deleted member 6794

No matter what Vegas thinks about the Packers Thompson has to address cornerback and outside linebacker in free agency for the team to be a true Super Bowl contender next season.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
No matter what Vegas thinks about the Packers Thompson has to address cornerback and outside linebacker in free agency for the team to be a true Super Bowl contender next season.

Yes, I would say that the majority of teams likely to contend must make key moves to address roster issues this offseason.

D

Deleted member 6794

Yes, I would say that the majority of teams likely to contend must make key moves to address roster issues this offseason.

Of course, unfortunately other contending teams have general managers that use all methods available to improve the roster.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts