Report: Julius Peppers 'appears to be done' with Packers

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Up till now they havent re-signed anyone. All they have done is clear cap space with Shields and Starks. Doesn't it make sense to re-sign guys before they hit free agency? March 7th is getting close. One of TT's strengths has been getting deals done before this date.

Its pure speculation but maybe Matthews is holding them hostage over some kind of re-structure which is dictating what they want to do. Who knows but it feels kind of weird that nobody has been re-signed.

D

Deleted member 6794

Up till now they havent re-signed anyone. All they have done is clear cap space with Shields and Starks. Doesn't it make sense to re-sign guys before they hit free agency? March 7th is getting close. One of TT's strengths has been getting deals done before this date.

Currently there aren't a lot of transactions around the league. Deadlines spur action therefore it's too early to get nervous about the Packers not having made some moves.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
The feeding frenzy for most teams not named The Green Bay Packers will start around 3/7, when teams can start legally negotiating with other teams FA's. 3/9 is the big day when teams will proudly hoist and display their big signings.

If I had to guess based on TT's past, if he has any of our current guys as high priority signings, he will get that done before 3/7. If he already knows he won't pay them what they and their agent want, it will be a wait and see game of letting them test the FA market. After that, I expect to see TT combing the FA beach around mid march to see if there are any reasonably priced scraps that have washed up.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, I would say that the majority of teams likely to contend must make key moves to address roster issues this offseason.
Absolutely agree. Every year is a new season with new faces and changing circumstances. The free agent list is a mile long. All 32 teams have plenty of off-season work to do. I was stunned to see that many players on it.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
May actually be pretty interesting on the FA front, but I'd wait a couple of weeks, until they can be signed away, to see who's really still available.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
The feeding frenzy for most teams not named The Green Bay Packers will start around 3/7, when teams can start legally negotiating with other teams FA's. 3/9 is the big day when teams will proudly hoist and display their big signings.

If I had to guess based on TT's past, if he has any of our current guys as high priority signings, he will get that done before 3/7. If he already knows he won't pay them what they and their agent want, it will be a wait and see game of letting them test the FA market. After that, I expect to see TT combing the FA beach around mid march to see if there are any reasonably priced scraps that have washed up.

I am totally down that TT must use FA more, but I am totally fine with him avoiding that initial feeding frenzy. A lot of smart teams do. That's when the stupid money gets thrown around. I'm fine with letting the Dolphins and Redskins go nuts for 24 hours before the Packers start moving.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Most years I would agree with the "wait and see" approach to FA signings, but this is one year I really think TT has to think long and hard about the CB position and how he is going to fix it. Waiting 2 weeks after the FA signing period starts, might not allow him to do that. The OLB position also has to be a concern and depends on what the Packers do with their own FA's as well as Matthews.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Absolutely agree. Every year is a new season with new faces and changing circumstances. The free agent list is a mile long. All 32 teams have plenty of off-season work to do. I was stunned to see that many players on it.
I think that's a product it teams being smarter with the cap overall. The pay as you play model seems to work well, rather than extend huge money out as long as possible, and then make decisions if you should pay them again or replace with younger and cheaper.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Most years I would agree with the "wait and see" approach to FA signings, but this is one year I really think TT has to think long and hard about the CB position and how he is going to fix it. Waiting 2 weeks after the FA signing period starts, might not allow him to do that. The OLB position also has to be a concern and depends on what the Packers do with their own FA's as well as Matthews.

For the record, I'm not say he should wait anything like two weeks. I just mean that that initial insanity of the very beginning is usually wise to pass on.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are you new to the concept of odds?

Not at all. In fact, I've made quite a few bucks playing them, and done well at other things too.
The point is, whatever Vegas says , or the pundits, talking heads and prognosticators think will be meaningless when the season starts.
By the way, how much does Vegas consider Cheeseheads? Probably a lot of them; and Vegas probably looks at them as chumps and a safe bet?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Not at all. In fact, I've made quite a few bucks playing them, and done well at other things too.
The point is, whatever Vegas says , or the pundits, talking heads and prognosticators think will be meaningless when the season starts.
By the way, how much does Vegas consider Cheeseheads? Probably a lot of them; and Vegas probably looks at them as chumps and a safe bet?

Well obviously nothing that anyone says or thinks in February will impact how the real season plays out. But you seemed pretty confident in prognosticating that the Packers are not a real contender, so I figured that I would mention Vegas, seeing as how they're pretty good at the prognostication business themselves. Or is that not as relevant as your opinion?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
For the record, I'm not say he should wait anything like two weeks. I just mean that that initial insanity of the very beginning is usually wise to pass on.

I was referring more to TT's normal MO when it comes to the FA market.

There are a couple of FA CB's out there that could definitely help the Packers next year, much more than a rookie in my opinion. Hopefully, if TT has any interest in them, he will let them know right away and possibly the lure of playing on a legit Super Bowl hopeful will be enough to tips the scales in the Packers favor to get them to sign in the first week of the FA period.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well obviously nothing that anyone says or thinks in February will impact how the real season plays out. But you seemed pretty confident in prognosticating that the Packers are not a real contender, so I figured that I would mention Vegas, seeing as how they're pretty good at the prognostication business themselves. Or is that not as relevant as your opinion?

I am very confident in calling them not a legit SB contender in their current state; the only thing that will change my mind on that is if our current GM makes moves to improve this team in more ways than the draft.
As far as my opinions, they've served me very well throughout my life, so yes, I'd consider them more relevant than others. Now opinions such as what someone thinks about me, or likes me or not, I don't give a damn about, so those I don't consider at all. Got any other thinly veiled jibes you'd like to let loose?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I am very confident in calling them not a legit SB contender in their current state; the only thing that will change my mind on that is if our current GM makes moves to improve this team in more ways than the draft.
As far as my opinions, they've served me very well throughout my life, so yes, I'd consider them more relevant than others. Now opinions such as what someone thinks about me, or likes me or not, I don't give a damn about, so those I don't consider at all. Got any other thinly veiled jibes you'd like to let loose?

"The point is, whatever [PackerDNA] says , or the pundits, talking heads and prognosticators think will be meaningless when the season starts."

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I was referring more to TT's normal MO when it comes to the FA market.

There are a couple of FA CB's out there that could definitely help the Packers next year, much more than a rookie in my opinion. Hopefully, if TT has any interest in them, he will let them know right away and possibly the lure of playing on a legit Super Bowl hopeful will be enough to tips the scales in the Packers favor to get them to sign in the first week of the FA period.

You and I agree that he needs to go off script from his normal MO.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"The point is, whatever [PackerDNA] says , or the pundits, talking heads and prognosticators think will be meaningless when the season starts."

But of course all will refer to the great Dante. That's fine bud, as long as I keep winning money .

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
But of course all will refer to the great Dante. That's fine bud, as long as I keep winning money .

" The point is, whatever [Dantes] says , or the pundits, talking heads and prognosticators think will be meaningless when the season starts."

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
There 12 to 1 right now because of Aaron Rodgers. Not because of TT or MM or Dom Capers or there current roster at this point.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
There 12 to 1 right now because of Aaron Rodgers. Not because of TT or MM or Dom Capers or there current roster at this point.

Well regardless of why they should be considered contenders, and agreed that Rodgers is the biggest reason by far, the reality is that they are considered such by most. Not to say they are or should be number one, but they're in that second tier.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Well regardless of why they should be considered contenders, and agreed that Rodgers is the biggest reason by far, the reality is that they are considered such by most. Not to say they are or should be number one, but they're in that second tier.

If you removed Aaron Rodgers from this roster not only do they not win the division but they are a losing football team.

Its time for TT to pull his head out of *** before its too late.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If you removed Aaron Rodgers from this roster not only do they not win the division but they are a losing football team.

You pull the franchise QB off most teams and put in a replacement level guy and their performance as a team goes way down. I know there is the exception of New England, but that's rare. That doesn't mean the Packers don't have plenty of work to do, but I've seen the above post in some form time and again and it's just obvious and overblown to me.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score

Who would be the starting QB on the Packers if TT hadn't drafted Rodgers and McCarthy coached him into the player he has become?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Who would be the starting QB on the Packers if TT hadn't drafted Rodgers and McCarthy coached him into the player he has become?

Brett Favre until he retired and unretired 3 times, followed by a few years of Matt Flynn and finally Russell Wilson. :coffee:

Members online

Latest posts