Report: Aaron Rodgers return to Packers hinges on a trade for Randall Cobb

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Wasnt MM cobb coach here? And he allowed him to walk away from dallas..

Just a FYI...

If (IF) Cobb fails, who will blame Rodgers?.

And I mean to say he is an idiot??
He only signed with Dallas for 1 year, MM was the coach the following year. He had a solid season with the Cowboys but signed with The Texans because he wanted to play with Watson.

Cobb had a decent season in his lone year with Dallas, catching 55 passes for 828 yards and three touchdowns. The 15.1 yards per catch was the highest of Cobb's career, while the 828 yards were his most since 2015.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd disagree with that, but it doesn't really matter, because there is a more important debate. That of, besides Adams, what WR on the Packers is currently better than him? I for one don't expect Cobb to put up numbers like he did in 2014, do you? I think for what the Packers invested in him, as well as his chemistry with #12, it was an excellent move.
I’d be ecstatic if he APPROACHES the numbers he put up in Dallas. One other nagging question I’m having is how much is Rodgers going to try to force it to him? (if he’s healthy and on the field). Question remains is the answer really a 31 yo WR who hasn’t done anything special in 6 years and has trouble staying healthy. I would LOVE for it to work out, it’s just not passing the sniff test to me.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Seems like yo
I’d be ecstatic if he APPROACHES the numbers he put up in Dallas. One other nagging question I’m having is how much is Rodgers going to try to force it to him? (if he’s healthy and on the field). Question remains is the answer really a 31 yo WR who hasn’t done anything special in 6 years and has trouble staying healthy. I would LOVE for it to work out, it’s just not passing the sniff test to me.
Are you thinking fans expect a huge year out of Cobb and basing your sniff test on that? While I don't expect a big year , I also would say what he did in Dallas isn't out of the question.

Cobb is 2 years older than Davante, not sure why someone would worry about age. Had the Packers signed him to another $10M/year deal I would understand the wringing of hands. IF the Packers had a better group of WR's, I could see why Cobb might be a waste of money. But when you have Davante Adamds and a bunch of day 3 picks and UDFA's, I only see Cobb improving on that.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope you all realize Cobb is 31 years old and hasnt had a really good year since 2014…. That was 7 years ago. Dallas kicked the tires for a year and said adios. Houston bit (hey it’s Houston), watched him basically do nothing, and can’t believe their luck that they unloaded him. Nothing against Cobb, I like the guy, great Packer (6-7 years ago). He’ll make the team, because he’s A-rod’s guy. The “hey now we just need Jordy to strap it up again” guys are hilarious but also kind of scarey because we have literally gone down that rabbit hole. Defenses are not going to have to cover 25 yo Randall Cobb, they are going to get to cover 31 yo Randall Cobb … I don’t think they’re scared.

Please tell me what elite WR he pushed off the roster...

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Dude, they won't be keeping 8 WRs. Most likely, it'll be Adams, MVS, Cobb, Lazard, Rodgers and ESB.

Trying to re-read where I ever made the statement we'd keep 8....nope still cannot find it anywhere LOL

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think MVS and Lazard are both better than Cobb. By the end of the year I may be able to add Amari to the list.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the draft pick was minimal and the compensation in line for Cobb, so I have no problem with the signing. and I love the guy, can't get better attitudes, locker room, or community/team character traits guy than what you can get from Cobb. and I haven't watched him really since he left, but I don't imagine he's gotten better with time. Injuries really seemed to slow his game down so i wonder just how effective he'll be.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You listed 8 of them.
How does merely naming 8 WRs and actually mentioning there are more mean I said we would keep 8. We have more of a chance of Janis lacing them up than us keeping 8 WRs on the active roster.

AGreen2AJones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Hmmm. Who do I believe. MM or Rodgers? Clearly most players side with Rodgers. Remember, just last week, MM lied to the shareholders.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Hmmm. Who do I believe. MM or Rodgers? Clearly most players side with Rodgers. Remember, just last week, MM lied to the shareholders.

What lie was this? Also fairly certain even those who have grown tired of Rodgers have been saying he should just speak with his own words for MONTHS - his silent and let things spiral and enjoy it mindset was childish, was overdue to speak.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What lie was this? Also fairly certain even those who have grown tired of Rodgers have been saying he should just speak with his own words for MONTHS - his silent and let things spiral and enjoy it mindset was childish, was overdue to speak.
It's an assumption that he let them spiral so he could enjoy it.

i found his presser to be very straightforward and I found zero reason to no believe him. What was there for him to say when there wasn't anything happening? His silence in the public kind of put all the pressure on the FO to do something.

I'm as much of a "players play" and "coaches coach" and "no guy is bigger than the team" believer you'll find on here, but at the same time, you don't tell someone you're going to talk about something they find important and then blow them off for months. I don't care if it's a practice squad player or your franchise star.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's an assumption that he let them spiral so he could enjoy it.

i found his presser to be very straightforward and I found zero reason to no believe him. What was there for him to say when there wasn't anything happening? His silence in the public kind of put all the pressure on the FO to do something.

I'm as much of a "players play" and "coaches coach" and "no guy is bigger than the team" believer you'll find on here, but at the same time, you don't tell someone you're going to talk about something they find important and then blow them off for months. I don't care if it's a practice squad player or your franchise star.
Never said I didn't believe any of it or none of it. I 100% will never be convinced it was the mature or right thing to do just being silent while fires were lit the entire off season.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it wasn't the right thing to do, but it also takes a tremendous amount of restraint to NOT open your mouth when everyone is attacking your character in the media on a minute by minute basis based on rumors. It possible it was the most mature and right option as well. I don't think Rodgers enjoyed it and that drove his silence.

I think he knew there was nothing to be gained.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe it wasn't the right thing to do, but it also takes a tremendous amount of restraint to NOT open your mouth when everyone is attacking your character in the media on a minute by minute basis based on rumors. It possible it was the most mature and right option as well. I don't think Rodgers enjoyed it and that drove his silence.

To be fair, the media was much more on his side than the organization - so much so some manifested things just to keep fire stoked.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i rarely consume the media these days and I saw enough to know it wasn't all favorable to Rodgers

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I tend to agree with both of you in part, but I disagree with the notion that Rodgers shouldn't have at least stepped in and squelched things before they got out of hand. I understand why he didn't, he was (still is) very angry with the front office and he was willing to just let the fires keep burning and when he could, he even tossed some more gasoline on it. My disappointment with Rodgers revolves around that and the fact that The Green Bay Packers paid him a boatload of money, still had him under contract for 3 years and when he was treated (the same as they treat all players) in a way he wasn't happy with, he pulls the pouty kid act.

Because of that, I don't think this is even close to being over. He still has animosity towards the FO and that will probably not go away, ever. Will it blow up and ruin the 2021 season? It most definitely could, especially if the team starts losing or the FO makes a decision(s) that ticks Rodgers off. AR is only back because he loves the game, his teammates AND he didn't want to lose out on the money. I think he still has his eyes on the exit door and very little that happens in the next 6 months will change that, its just a matter of how much it distracts him. If I was a betting man, he is wearing a different jersey in 2022.

Last edited:

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I now officially hope we can trade him after the season no matter what happens. Who are the bad guys? LaFleur...not a chance in my mind. Gute...I don't think so. Murphy...who cares. Let's get what we can and move on. He's a friggin baby.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He only signed with Dallas for 1 year, MM was the coach the following year. He had a solid season with the Cowboys but signed with The Texans because he wanted to play with Watson.

Cobb had a decent season in his lone year with Dallas, catching 55 passes for 828 yards and three touchdowns. The 15.1 yards per catch was the highest of Cobb's career, while the 828 yards were his most since 2015.

He signed with Houston because they offered him stupid money.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Aaron Rodgers apparently is trying to pull a Tom Brady. Sort of.

Trey Wingo reports (or at least he says he’s “hearing”) that the return of Aaron Rodgers to the Packers is “hinging on trading for former teammate Randall Cobb.” Says Wingo, “If Cobb is in Green Bay it looks like Rodgers will be too.”

On one level, it feels like a test. Does Aaron Rodgers have the juice to get the Packers to trade for a former teammate? On the other level, it’s Randall Cobb. All due respect, but Randall Cobb isn’t Gronk or Antonio Brown. As Josh Alper pointed out, Rodgers hinging his return on the return of Randall Cobb (who currently plays for the Texans) makes about as much sense as Rodgers demanding a Cobb salad for lunch every day.

Either way that’s what Wingo is reporting. Or hearing. Or whatever.

Report: Aaron Rodgers return to Packers hinges on a trade for Randall Cobb originally appeared on Pro Football Talk
Hi X. Just getting around to this thread. For a smart guy, Rodgers has made some dumb moves in his return. He said he wanted to be involved in a vague number of decisions. Then he insists Cobb come back and so maybe he just means personnel decisions, and just on the offense. But Randal Cobb is not Gronk. It's easy now for Packerland to look at Rodgers and say - "You wanted to be involved. Gluten said yes. Based on your incredible genius, and that you've been given what you wanted, I have no doubt Cobb will gain 1,000 yards on 10 TDs and the team will cruise to it's fifth SB win."

What a dope. On the plus side, he'll play lights out this year because in all likelihood he'll be traded next February. That ups his value on the trade market.

I'm no fan of Gluten, but he won this round with #12.

Members online

Latest posts