Report: Aaron Rodgers return to Packers hinges on a trade for Randall Cobb

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hopefully it is the 6th round comp pick for Jamaal and not GB 6th rounder.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I agree that is likely. Cobb and Amari are VERY close, and it was made clear Gute wanted to add to the WR room last year. Small part of it all, but a part for sure.
FWIW Gute confirmed in his presser this morning that the move was made solely for Rodgers.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
FWIW Gute confirmed in his presser this morning that the move was made solely for Rodgers.
Makes sense, a guy Rodgers is very familiar with. I know many people want to point to what the offense did last year and say they didn't need Cobb, but I think Rodgers felt its short comings were the quality and probably chemistry of his WR's. He also mentioned yesterday about team leadership and having quality guys in the locker room. I think that had something to do with him wanting Cobb back as well.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Have to wonder how many times Rodgers said to himself after the NFCCG "If I had only had Randall or Jordy, we would be in the SB". As someone who has adamantly complained the last few years about the WR room, I get this move. I love the Amari pick, but I agree with Sunshine, relying on a 3rd round rookie? Look at the history of the Packer WR's if you question that.

I hope they got a good deal on a new contract with Cobb, but I love this move, especially if it is something, which I think it is, that had to be done to placate Rodgers.
If Jordy Nelson had any business on an NFL field he would have been on one. He was washed up before he ever left Green Bay

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If Jordy Nelson had any business on an NFL field he would have been on one. He was washed up before he ever left Green Bay
I was talking figuratively about having 2 WR's like Cobb and Jordy. Also, washed up before he left Green Bay? I guess you and I will have to disagree on that. His final season in GB was mostly spent with Hundley floundering around at QB. His 3 seasons before that were all huge. Jordy's 1 season playing for the Raiders was more productive than everyone on the Packer roster last year but Adams. I think had he stuck around in GB he has an even bigger 2018 and possibly plays another season.

Funnily enough, Cobb tweeted hoping to get Jordy to come back.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was talking figuratively about having 2 WR's like Cobb and Jordy. Also, washed up before he left Green Bay? I guess you and I will have to disagree on that. His final season in GB was mostly spent with Hundley floundering around at QB. His 3 seasons before that were all huge. Jordy's 1 season playing for the Raiders was more productive than everyone on the Packer roster last year but Adams. I think had he stuck around in GB he has an even bigger 2018 and possibly plays another season.

Funnily enough, Cobb tweeted hoping to get Jordy to come back.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Well one year after he flammed out in Green Bay he was out of the league so I’ll go with that verdict

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well one year after he flammed out in Green Bay he was out of the league so I’ll go with that verdict
In 2018 Jordy had 63 catches for 739 yards on 88 targets for the Raiders. Such production would have placed him 2nd on the Packers that year--which featured Davante Adams, a largely injured Randall Cobb, and then a bevy of hot garbage at the WR position. And it's absolutely reasonable to assume Jordy would have put up better numbers with AR in 2018 than he did with Derek Carr.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The biggest benefit to keep Jordy in hindsight was the fact it probably means we don't go get JG and pay him all those millions for a couple of years. Either way, it wasn't the wrong move to let him go when we did. Yes he had Hundley throwing him the ball, but so did Adams and one looked the part of a receiver, the other looked like he didn't want to be there anymore.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, when Cobb spends 12 games out with a torn calf or something, I guess Rodgers has nobody else to blame. But he'll find someone.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The potential is there and I've shared other places...Lazard has proven to be an excellent possession type WR, Funchess if can reclaim some of what he was once is the same, MVS is one of the best pure DEEP THREATs presently, Cobb and Rodgers are both in their own rights excellent slot options (one young and other old in their teeth) and then Adams which is just insane in everything. That's not to mention guys like EQ who has had Aaron's support since he got here and dudes like Winfree or Malik Taylor who could be the year's surprise roster guy.
Dude, they won't be keeping 8 WRs. Most likely, it'll be Adams, MVS, Cobb, Lazard, Rodgers and ESB.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of the Packers trading for Cobb as in my opinion he doesn't significantly improve the receiving corps at this stage in his career. Hopefully they drastically reduced his price tag as he was guaranteed to make $8.25 million this season.
The main benefit is maybe Rodgers will actually look at someone other than #17 when it's crunch time for a change.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Dude, they won't be keeping 8 WRs. Most likely, it'll be Adams, MVS, Cobb, Lazard, Rodgers and ESB.
I tend to agree and I think Funchess is going to have to look really good during preseason to make the team. Otherwise, the Packers dump him due to his higher salary and more importantly, his lack of chemistry with AR. ESB is clearly on the bubble as well. He has hardly done a thing in his 3 years here. This has been mainly due to injuries, but also just not being able to play better than the guys in front of him.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope you all realize Cobb is 31 years old and hasnt had a really good year since 2014…. That was 7 years ago. Dallas kicked the tires for a year and said adios. Houston bit (hey it’s Houston), watched him basically do nothing, and can’t believe their luck that they unloaded him. Nothing against Cobb, I like the guy, great Packer (6-7 years ago). He’ll make the team, because he’s A-rod’s guy. The “hey now we just need Jordy to strap it up again” guys are hilarious but also kind of scarey because we have literally gone down that rabbit hole. Defenses are not going to have to cover 25 yo Randall Cobb, they are going to get to cover 31 yo Randall Cobb … I don’t think they’re scared.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I hope you all realize Cobb is 31 years old and hasnt had a really good year since 2014
I'd disagree with that, but it doesn't really matter, because there is a more important debate. That of, besides Adams, what WR on the Packers is currently better than him? I for one don't expect Cobb to put up numbers like he did in 2014, do you? I think for what the Packers invested in him, as well as his chemistry with #12, it was an excellent move.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd disagree with that, but it doesn't really matter, because there is a more important debate. That of, besides Adams, what WR on the Packers is currently better than him? I for one don't expect Cobb to put up numbers like he did in 2014, do you? I think for what the Packers invested in him, as well as his chemistry with #12, it was an excellent move.
Wasnt MM cobb coach here? And he allowed him to walk away from dallas..

Just a FYI...

If (IF) Cobb fails, who will blame Rodgers?.

And I mean to say he is an idiot??