Report: Aaron Rodgers return to Packers hinges on a trade for Randall Cobb

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Sounds like the Cobb trade hinges on Cobb being willing to take less money than his current contract calls for.

"Gee, thanks Aaron old buddy, you got me traded for less money"

Obviously, the Texans were probably planning on releasing Cobb if they couldn't trade him.
The real question is this. Is Rodger willing to give up some of his money so Cobb will have what he wants?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Is this tampering??

rodgers texts cobb 2 weeks ago…hey want to come to gb?? I can make it happen

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
I hope this is not true. I will lose some respect for the FO.
It's called appeasing your superstar quarterback and doing what is necessary to try to win Super Bowls. Call it the Tom Brady method, if you will. Like it or not, this is how things go in the modern sports era.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
4 minutes ago on his social media platforms he released "I'm coming home!" and a picture of him coming out of the tunnel in Green Bay....

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now for my thoughts...

I'll go to my grave saying this is DUMB unless they get him to restructure his deal...he is not worth his current contract.

Otherwise our WR room is DEEP!!!!

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
[sarcasm] This is clearly an example of the leverage that Aaron Rodgers didn't have in negotiations with the packers [/sarcasm]

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
[sarcasm] This is clearly an example of the leverage that Aaron Rodgers didn't have in negotiations with the packers [/sarcasm]

LOL This is appeasing him, while also addressing a position room which clearly Gute attempted to do last year with some of the rumored trades out there. A decision controlled and executed by the organization - and one I completely understand.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
LOL This is appeasing him, while also addressing a position room which clearly Gute attempted to do last year with some of the rumored trades out there. A decision controlled and executed by the organization - and one I completely understand.
Stay on cloud 9 all you want with your hand up the organization's backside if you wish. But this was all Rodgers.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Stay on cloud 9 all you want with your hand up the organization's backside if you wish. But this was all Rodgers.

You're choosing to read too much into my post. I literally said this was to appease Rodgers? That is in effect stating the organization made a decision to appease and satisfy Rodgers.

In all reality adding Cobb and voiding a year neither side sees occurring as currently structured in 2023 is a no brainer from a management aspect to keep one of the best QBs for a 2021 run.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
You're choosing to read too much into my post. I literally said this was to appease Rodgers? That is in effect stating the organization made a decision to appease and satisfy Rodgers.

In all reality adding Cobb and voiding a year neither side sees occurring as currently structured in 2023 is a no brainer from a management aspect to keep one of the best QBs for a 2021 run.
Would've never happened if Rodgers didn't hold out.

Ceodore

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know in my head this is probably a dumb/moot move. But I have to admit, it feels good. Especially with those photos of Cobb and Rodgers hugging in their last game floating around. Also hard to hate a move that brings someone that seems like a genuinely good person into the locker room.

It'll definitely be worth it if he manages to rip the Bears hearts out again in some fashion.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Have to wonder how many times Rodgers said to himself after the NFCCG "If I had only had Randall or Jordy, we would be in the SB". As someone who has adamantly complained the last few years about the WR room, I get this move. I love the Amari pick, but I agree with Sunshine, relying on a 3rd round rookie? Look at the history of the Packer WR's if you question that.

I hope they got a good deal on a new contract with Cobb, but I love this move, especially if it is something, which I think it is, that had to be done to placate Rodgers.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know in my head this is probably a dumb/moot move. But I have to admit, it feels good. Especially with those photos of Cobb and Rodgers hugging in their last game floating around. Also hard to hate a move that brings someone that seems like a genuinely good person into the locker room.

It'll definitely be worth it if he manages to rip the Bears hearts out again in some fashion.
Nostalgic.
This feels like Star Wars still love the new movies but will never be as good as the originals.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like I said on another post. It all depends on the trade and how much of a salary reduction he'll take. If it's reasonable then fine. I can't imagine he'll be any worse than whoever might have been our #6 or 7 receiver and he might just be much better than that. I'm sure he'll cost s bit more but again, how much more is key.

I'm just glad Rodgers didn't demand Janis back.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like some others, I'm fine with this if it's nothing crazy. If it's a late round swap and Texans pick up some salary (don't know how that works tbh) as snoops suggested, then cool. Get Rodgers an old buddy and safety blanket back, have Cobb work with Amari, make locker room happy, cool cool cool. I don't expect Cobb to have a big year or anything, but he's not exactly dead weight.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I was thinking the same thing. It probably will only be worth it if he beats the bears twice. And then it would definitely be worth it. Maybe Amari can learn a few tricks from him. :unsure:

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm not a huge fan of the Packers trading for Cobb as in my opinion he doesn't significantly improve the receiving corps at this stage in his career. Hopefully they drastically reduced his price tag as he was guaranteed to make $8.25 million this season.

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
Have to wonder how many times Rodgers said to himself after the NFCCG "If I had only had Randall or Jordy, we would be in the SB". As someone who has adamantly complained the last few years about the WR room, I get this move. I love the Amari pick, but I agree with Sunshine, relying on a 3rd round rookie? Look at the history of the Packer WR's if you question that.

I hope they got a good deal on a new contract with Cobb, but I love this move, especially if it is something, which I think it is, that had to be done to placate Rodgers.
It certainly wouldn't have hurt to have Cobb on the field in that situation. You've got Davante who is obviously elite. You add a guy like Cobb who reads Rodgers' mind, and it could've made the difference in having another trustable target out there.

Hopefully Cobb has some game left and Amari sets the world on fire.

Last edited:

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score

If Coach woulda gotten me Jordy or Cobb, we would've been state champions. No doubt. No doubt in my mind.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
So the fact that cobb mentored amari and has been in his life for a long time had no bearing in this??

Rodgers pitched it as it would be a good weapon, but im sure he pitched how cobb could teach amari

This was a way to get rodgers back, but also a way to groom the next cobb

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't understand the combining of the two threads...one is literally the acquisition thread about Cobb and everything surrounding that. This is another Rodgers issue and stances discussion which honestly should have been merged on another disgruntled Rodgers thread IMO.

Cannot tell who combined but I'm sorry applying someone's intent upon me by saying I'm pretending my thoughts are more important is just utter BS. I'm one of the last folks to approach a conversation pretending my opinion or thought by and of itself holds more importance.

Also this is the Aaron Rodgers Discussion sub-forum apologies for not wanting a Cobb centered thread in the Rodgers Discussion sub-forum.

Members online

Latest posts