Ranking The Top 10 Best And Worst Packers Of All Time

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of all time?

Or just your time?
Brett Hundley? Serious? He was a fifth round draft pick and he played like it. How does that make him the worst Packer when there were so many epic busts like Mr. steroid Tony Mandarich or guys like Kevin King that cost the team a trip to the Super Bowl? Or how about Rich Campbell? He was a first round pick that showed up to camp out of shape and then wanted to know where the good fishing spots were. Can you get any more of a lazy, no good flop than him?

D

Deleted member 6794

Brett Hundley? Serious? He was a fifth round draft pick and he played like it. How does that make him the worst Packer when there were so many epic busts like Mr. steroid Tony Mandarich or guys like Kevin King that cost the team a trip to the Super Bowl? Or how about Rich Campbell? He was a first round pick that showed up to camp out of shape and then wanted to know where the good fishing spots were. Can you get any more of a lazy, no good flop than him?

Kevin King definitely doesn't deserve to be named among the 10 worst Packers of all time either.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I can't help but notice the list of "all time" great Packers includes Keith Jackson but not Don Hutson....

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kevin King definitely doesn't deserve to be named among the 10 worst Packers of all time either.
King's terrible performance in the 2021 NFCCG nearly single handedly cost the Packers a trip to the Super Bowl. I would say that ranks rather high in determining the worst Packers. Even draft pick busts like Mandarich and Campbell didn't directly screw the team's chances at a Super Bowl so perhaps King might be the worst. I look at it not as a popularity contest but who cost the team the most. Nobody ever accused King of loafing or being a selfish a**. By all accounts he's a good guy that you want to see succeed. Its just that he and other players on my list hurt the team more than some other players who are basically just unpopular.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
King's terrible performance in the 2021 NFCCG nearly single handedly cost the Packers a trip to the Super Bowl. I would say that ranks rather high in determining the worst Packers. Even draft pick busts like Mandarich and Campbell didn't directly screw the team's chances at a Super Bowl so perhaps King might be the worst. I look at it not as a popularity contest but who cost the team the most. Nobody ever accused King of loafing or being a selfish a**. By all accounts he's a good guy that you want to see succeed. Its just that he and other players on my list hurt the team more than some other players who are basically just unpopular.

Thats just an intellectually lazy copout. It was a single play just like many others that may have had an equally important impact. That one is just very easy to pinpoint. Like him or not King has made some hugely positively impactful plays as well. It is ridiculous to include him in the list of 10 worst Packers when there are players that easily qualify.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Thats just an intellectually lazy copout. It was a single play just like many others that may have had an equally important impact. That one is just very easy to pinpoint. Like him or not King has made some hugely positively impactful plays as well. It is ridiculous to include him in the list of 10 worst Packers when there are players that easily qualify.
Agreed. I think you could pick a ton of plays that Favre, Rodgers, Butler, Woodson, etc. made or didn't make...but football careers aren't measured by 1 play. Nor are games lost by one player. Anyone pointing to that 1 single play to define King, should ask why the hell the DC put him alone on that island.

Reaction score
I agree. It would be easy to fill the worst 50 and still not get to King.

Like Hundley and Janis, there is always that player each season that becomes a target for our frustrations. To me King is picked on because of the TJ Watt and his success. I can remember staying up late that draft only to not make a selection. That was a tough way to start. I remember exactly where I was sorta like 911 or JFK being shot (missed that one). Even when King had a good season I recall game time King bullying. Lol

TT alone has some hard misses that are worse than King.

JimWB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't rank them based on numbers necessarily, but how they impacted the team for each era they played in.

10 Best

10. TE - Keith Jackson: I put him up here because even to this day I say he's set the gold standard for TEs in Green Bay and could do a lot of everything

9. S - Leroy Butler: hands down the greatest safety to ever wear the green and gold, and of course invented the time-honored Lambeau leap tradition

8. QB - Brett Favre: some may object to his being this far down the list, but while he certainly was a big part of success here for 16 years, he was his own worst enemy who prevented the team from winning more Superbowls.

7. RB - Jim Taylor: his records may be broken by now, but I still gotta put him as the originator of the real Green Bay running game. He was the thundering bull while Hornung was the lightning ram.

6. WR - Donald Driver: we could pick any number of great receivers who brought the fire to Lambeau from Lofton, to Sharpe, to Brooks and Freeman, and even beyond that to Jennings, Cobb, and now Adams. But Driver was truly something else coming from obscurity at a little college called Alcorn State, to becoming one of our greatest targets who showed up week in and week out and was always ready to go. Gotta put him as the king WR here.

5. QB - Bart Starr: Still to this day the only QB in Green Bay with more than one SB win to his name

4. KR - Desmond Howard: there are only ever a few special teams return guys who come in either one generation or another and give you something truly spectacular to see, and this guy was one of them. He sealed the deal in SB XXXI and rightfully walked out of there with the MVP.

3. RB - Ahman Green: it was a shame we were never able to get this guy a SB ring, but even despite his fumble issues, Ahman Green should still be considered the best RB in Packers history. As soon as he touched that ball, look out.

2. QB - Aaron Rodgers: need I say any more?

1. DE - Reggie White: it continues to amaze me that he isn't talked about these days, and honestly, Mark Murphy needs to get on the ball and have a big 200 foot gold statue erected of him because yes, he is in fact the Greatest Packer of all time and anyone who says otherwise knows nothing about football and nothing at all for that matter. Not only was Reggie White the biggest sack machine and bull rusher in Packer history, he was the biggest catalyst for changing the culture here as the only voice in the locker room who demanded winning here. Everything the modern day winning Packers are built on was built by Reggie White.

10 Worst

10. LB - Datone Jones: likely forgotten in 10 years, but you know whenever his name is brought up, it's not for anything good.

9. QB - Rich Campbell: the Cal not-so-golden bear who unfortunately happened to don a Packer jersey

8. WR - Mark Ingram Sr: Actually did not realize he was the current NFL star RB's dad until looking him up, but ... he did practically nothing for us besides mouth off and give off toxicity here in Green Bay.

7. RB - Dijuan Harris: a guy with potential but no heart

6. DT - Jo Johnson: not sure whether he or Terry Glenn was the biggest disappointment as a free agent signing, but he sucked up a lot of money for nothing

5. S - Bewoh Jue: when you can make a guy like Kentrell Brice look like Troy Polamalu in his prime, you know you're a weak *** and a soft DB.

4. CB - Ahmad Carroll: if Reggie White was the icon of the greatest defense in Packers history, this guy was the exact opposite. Couldn't get rid of him quick enough.

3. QB - TJ Rubley: one simple job to do .... and he couldn't do it.

2. LB - Charles Martin: thankfully the culture he and his hoodlums promoted around here back in the 80s has long been eradicated. Unfortunately, his name is still known and makes you feel for Jim McMahon and his family.

1. QB - Brett Hundley: and taking home the award for being the biggest disgrace of a player here ... Brett Stinko Hundley. Any game film from this guy can be used as a teaching tool for Jordan Love on what not to do. Booyah!!!!
I agree with the Reggie White vote. The Pack was truly a force to be contended with during those years.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Not players...but this is an awesome compilation of some great plays and calls by Wayne Larrivee.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Big L

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tony Mandarich needs to be on the list of worst Packers of all time. I don't want to argue too much about lists like that as those are solely basedon subjective opinions but Howard is definitely ranked too high in my opinion.
Howard had a season impact - no doubt, but one of the 10 best of all time - wow

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you watch the game? He sucked the whole game. It wasn't just a single play, although single plays do take on a disproportional stake when they cost as much as his massive blunder and play such a pivotal role in the outcome. To win close playoff games, players have to at least be competitive. What Kind did was choke.

Big L

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m going to list some guys that were very good to great for a number of seasons

Don Hutson WR
Forrest Greg OL
Bart Starr QB
James Lofton WR
Sterling Sharp WR
Ray Nitschke LB
Reggie White DL
Herb Adderley DB
LeRoy Butler DB
Jim Taylor RB
Aaron Rodgers QB
Willie Davis DL
Jim Ringo OL
Davante Adams WR
Paul Hornung RB
Willie Wood DB
Willie Buchanan DB
Henry Jordan DL
Larry McCarren OL
Dave Robinson LB
Jerry Kramer OL
Charles Woodson DB
David Bakhtiari OL
Ahmad Green RB
Jordy Nelson WR (nod over Freeman, Driver and Brooks)
Brett Favre QB

Im sure I missed a few.

Eddie Lee Ivory RB (sentimental pick) My favorite Packer - Man oh Man was he talented - robbed by two devastating knee injuries! Before the injuries, he had it all.

While I was doing some NFL draft work years ago at Lambeau Field, I was told that the Packers flipped over this guy at the time and the Packers brass thought he was more talented then Tony Dorsett - WoW!

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you watch the game? He sucked the whole game. It wasn't just a single play, although single plays do take on a disproportional stake when they cost as much as his massive blunder and play such a pivotal role in the outcome. To win close playoff games, players have to at least be competitive. What Kind did was choke.
yep… so what. One play in one game. Get some perspective.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting that there are not a lot of Old School players on there.

Usually in "Best of..." lists there would be more pioneers of the first great multi championship winning team which paved the way for more great teams to follow.

10 is too short to do justice to those in the Packers and/or NFL HOF.

Reaction score
Interesting that there are not a lot of Old School players on there.

Usually in "Best of..." lists there would be more pioneers of the first great multi championship winning team which paved the way for more great teams to follow.

10 is too short to do justice to those in the Packers and/or NFL HOF.
Very true. 10 in a decade would be more reasonable.
Picking 10 in Packers history is going to exclude some fantastic players. Just since I’ve been watching in the early-mid 1970’s there’s been 30+ high impact.

My Fully Unrealized potential favorite was our WR, Sterling Sharpe. In just his last 3 seasons (years 5-7)he averaged per season
-105 catches; 1,324 yards 14TD
With #4 tossing the ball, Sterling would’ve likely finished somewhere ahead of Chris Carter (13,899) and Behind Terrell Owens (15,934) area. Possibly top 3 all time behind Rice and Fitzgerald.

Although James Lofton did more with less at a time when the passing game wasn’t near what it is today. How do you average 18.83 per catch over 16 years? That’s just an incredible feat for that era.
Lofton would be my #1 WR. He’d be a 20,000 yard guy in todays world

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

There's no doubt King played a terrible game in the 2020 NFCCG vs. the Bucs but he wasn't even single-handedly responsible for the Packers losing that game, let alone deserve to be one a top 10 worst Packers of all-time because of it.

My Fully Unrealized potential favorite was our WR, Sterling Sharpe. In just his last 3 seasons (years 5-7)he averaged per season
-105 catches; 1,324 yards 14TD
With #4 tossing the ball, Sterling would’ve likely finished somewhere ahead of Chris Carter (13,899) and Behind Terrell Owens (15,934) area. Possibly top 3 all time behind Rice and Fitzgerald.

Sharpe's numbers over those seasons are great. It's amazing what Hutson did during his three best seasons from 1942 to '44 though.

In only 31 games he caught 179 balls for 2,853 yards and 37 touchdowns. If you project that on a 16-game season he would have averaged 92 receptions, 1,472 yards and 19 TDs during that period.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There's no doubt King played a terrible game in the 2020 NFCCG vs. the Bucs but he wasn't even single-handedly responsible for the Packers losing that game, let alone deserve to be one a top 10 worst Packers of all-time because of it.

Sharpe's numbers over those seasons are great. It's amazing what Hutson did during his three best seasons from 1942 to '44 though.

In only 31 games he caught 179 balls for 2,853 yards and 37 touchdowns. If you project that on a 16-game season he would have averaged 92 receptions, 1,472 yards and 19 TDs during that period.
If King doesn't get burned twice for easy td's in the NFCCG, do the Packers lose that game? Not likely. Those plays were pivital. He also made a costly holding penalty. If Franco Harris drops the Immaculate Reception, do the Steelers win that famed playoff game over the Raiders? Not likely! Players do or don't make pivital plays that make the difference. Costing the Packers a trip to the Super Bowl is a large enough blunder to warrant listing in the top ten worst Packers. Many of the so called unpopular players on worst Packer lists never blundered their way to blowing a Super Bowl appearance. I think perfirmance, rather than unpopularity is a better indicator of the "worst" Packers. As I have remarked before, King is by all accounts a good teammate and not a selfish a**. He is the kind if player you root for but still cost the franchise dearly.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So correct me if I am wrong, are you saying that if King isn't on the team, the Packers win the Super Bowl in 2020?

If he’s not, and you assume he’s replaced by an average CB, then yes, the packers win. He directly lead to the Bucs scoring two TDs.

Voyageur

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't know where to start when making this list. There are so many players, so many years. It isn't just about those in high profile positions. It's also the guys in the trenches, and guys who my Father told me about, from back in the 20s, who don't get any recognition. People like Buckets Goldenberg.

I'll pass on my list. I wouldn't know where to start, or end, and it wouldn't be 10 long.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
If he’s not, and you assume he’s replaced by an average CB, then yes, the packers win. He directly lead to the Bucs scoring two TDs.
I've seen a lot of average and below average CB's roll through GB over the years. So I'd challenge you on getting to the NFCCG, much less win the Super Bowl with just an average CB taking Kings spot in 2020.

While I get that people want to pin the loss to TB solely on King, there were other plays, other players that didnt step up and other missed opportunities in that game.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've seen a lot of average and below average CB's roll through GB over the years. So I'd challenge you on getting to the NFCCG, much less win the Super Bowl with just an average CB taking Kings spot in 2020.

While I get that people want to pin the loss to TB solely on King, there were other plays, other players that didnt step up and other missed opportunities in that game.
I agree with this… and yet I’m still completely floored that this is even a conversation. We are talking about the 10 worst Packers of all time. It‘s incredible to me that anyone could be so obtuse that they believe that Kevin King belongs on that list. L M F A O.

Case in point…. Terrel Owens catches a pass in the End zone in front of Darren Sharper… whom I believe is still in prison for multiple ****** assaults. That catch (yeah I know Jerry Rice fumbled). Ended the Packers playoff run in another year where they would have been a likely Super Bowl favorite. …. And yet somehow Kevin King is a worse Packer than Sharper? My point is …. using any one play to define a player is asinine.

Ps… these filters are just as asinine.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts