Ranking The Top 10 Best And Worst Packers Of All Time

D

Deleted member 6794

No he isn't. He holds the record in Green Bay for punt return yards (875), most punt return TDs in a season (3), and of course a SB MVP. He definitely stands as Green Bay's greatest special teams return guy apart from possibly Roell Preston.

I'm sorry but just for example you left Don Hutson of your list despite him leading the league in receptions eight times, receiving yards seven times and touchdowns nine times, who at this point is still the franchise leader in touchdown receptions by a wide margin despite playing in the 1930s and '40s.

There are 19 other Packers players who made it to the Pro Football Hall of Fame not on your list.

In addition Howard only played another eight games for the team aside of the 1996 season. While he was an important of them winning the Super Bowl that year there are many other players more deserving of being on that list.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can we get a list of Best Packers Haircuts of all time? Jeff Query's mullet has to be ranked up there. That's a party in the back if I've ever seen one.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't rank them based on numbers necessarily, but how they impacted the team for each era they played in.

10 Best

10. TE - Keith Jackson: I put him up here because even to this day I say he's set the gold standard for TEs in Green Bay and could do a lot of everything

9. S - Leroy Butler: hands down the greatest safety to ever wear the green and gold, and of course invented the time-honored Lambeau leap tradition

8. QB - Brett Favre: some may object to his being this far down the list, but while he certainly was a big part of success here for 16 years, he was his own worst enemy who prevented the team from winning more Superbowls.

7. RB - Jim Taylor: his records may be broken by now, but I still gotta put him as the originator of the real Green Bay running game. He was the thundering bull while Hornung was the lightning ram.

6. WR - Donald Driver: we could pick any number of great receivers who brought the fire to Lambeau from Lofton, to Sharpe, to Brooks and Freeman, and even beyond that to Jennings, Cobb, and now Adams. But Driver was truly something else coming from obscurity at a little college called Alcorn State, to becoming one of our greatest targets who showed up week in and week out and was always ready to go. Gotta put him as the king WR here.

5. QB - Bart Starr: Still to this day the only QB in Green Bay with more than one SB win to his name

4. KR - Desmond Howard: there are only ever a few special teams return guys who come in either one generation or another and give you something truly spectacular to see, and this guy was one of them. He sealed the deal in SB XXXI and rightfully walked out of there with the MVP.

3. RB - Ahman Green: it was a shame we were never able to get this guy a SB ring, but even despite his fumble issues, Ahman Green should still be considered the best RB in Packers history. As soon as he touched that ball, look out.

2. QB - Aaron Rodgers: need I say any more?

1. DE - Reggie White: it continues to amaze me that he isn't talked about these days, and honestly, Mark Murphy needs to get on the ball and have a big 200 foot gold statue erected of him because yes, he is in fact the Greatest Packer of all time and anyone who says otherwise knows nothing about football and nothing at all for that matter. Not only was Reggie White the biggest sack machine and bull rusher in Packer history, he was the biggest catalyst for changing the culture here as the only voice in the locker room who demanded winning here. Everything the modern day winning Packers are built on was built by Reggie White.

10 Worst

10. LB - Datone Jones: likely forgotten in 10 years, but you know whenever his name is brought up, it's not for anything good.

9. QB - Rich Campbell: the Cal not-so-golden bear who unfortunately happened to don a Packer jersey

8. WR - Mark Ingram Sr: Actually did not realize he was the current NFL star RB's dad until looking him up, but ... he did practically nothing for us besides mouth off and give off toxicity here in Green Bay.

7. RB - Dijuan Harris: a guy with potential but no heart

6. DT - Jo Johnson: not sure whether he or Terry Glenn was the biggest disappointment as a free agent signing, but he sucked up a lot of money for nothing

5. S - Bewoh Jue: when you can make a guy like Kentrell Brice look like Troy Polamalu in his prime, you know you're a weak *** and a soft DB.

4. CB - Ahmad Carroll: if Reggie White was the icon of the greatest defense in Packers history, this guy was the exact opposite. Couldn't get rid of him quick enough.

3. QB - TJ Rubley: one simple job to do .... and he couldn't do it.

2. LB - Charles Martin: thankfully the culture he and his hoodlums promoted around here back in the 80s has long been eradicated. Unfortunately, his name is still known and makes you feel for Jim McMahon and his family.

1. QB - Brett Hundley: and taking home the award for being the biggest disgrace of a player here ... Brett Stinko Hundley. Any game film from this guy can be used as a teaching tool for Jordan Love on what not to do. Booyah!!!!

Don Hutson doesn't make your "Best" list? No Herb Adderley? Paul Hornung? Ray Nitschke? James Lofton?

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When this thread was originally posted I quickly read it .... and moved on. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, I found it mostly, lacking any real foundation. I’m not really sure that continuing to point out all of the obviously controversial choices made here has any merit.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
When this thread was originally posted I quickly read it .... and moved on. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, I found it mostly, lacking any real foundation. I’m not really sure that continuing to point out all of the obviously controversial choices made here has any merit.

Top 10 post of all time ;)

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry but just for example you left Don Hutson of your list despite him leading the league in receptions eight times, receiving yards seven times and touchdowns nine times, who at this point is still the franchise leader in touchdown receptions by a wide margin despite playing in the 1930s and '40s.

There are 19 other Packers players who made it to the Pro Football Hall of Fame not on your list.

In addition Howard only played another eight games for the team aside of the 1996 season. While he was an important of them winning the Super Bowl that year there are many other players more deserving of being on that list.

Well, if someone wants to put the top 50 Packers list together NFL Network style .... Be my guest

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry I stopped reading and taking serious when I see Desmond Howard ranked over Bart freaking Starr.

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I seem to remember **** Corrick saying that this pick by Bart left him dumbfounded. They had Ronnie Lott rated off the charts on their draft board, with Campbell much much lower, yet Bart pulled the trigger. Oh what could have been.

Don Horn was another 1st round whiff in '67. Maybe Vince would have been able to push Don to be a better QB but it just never happened under Bengston.

Jerry Tagge was yet another 1st rounder that floundered this time under Dan Devine. He didn't last long either.

That move by Starr to take Campbell over Lott is proof that he had no business being the GM back then.

C-Lee

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Marty Bennett is probably up there as one of the worst Packers ever.

Dude quit on the team and tried to make our medical staff look bad (who are known as one of the most careful/protective in the league lol)

What a bum.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I commend the OP's list, here are the changes I would've made.

Mossy Cade should be top 5 worst if not A #1 king of the hill.

Charles Martin should not be anywhere in the top 10 worst. To understand his actions you have to understand the rivalry and have lived through it prior to 1995. Back in '87 when Charles Martin slammed McMahon and had the numbers on his towel the rivalry was the #1 rivalry in the league and the most hated. The Packers at that time hadn't won against the Bears since God knows when and Martin was attempting to swing the tide of the rivalry. By today's standards it is abhorrent, and at the time it happened he was suspended.

Desmond Howard: Top 10 best? For 1 superb game and 1 good year?

Also where is Mandarich and his small feet (I still laugh at that Madden line) on this list?

Nitschke the captain of the Lombardi Defense isn't on the list?

Favre is too low

Rodgers is too high.

No Terrel Buckley?

Keith Jackson is a bit of revisionist history. He waited about 9 weeks into the regular season before reporting to Green Bay after being traded, and rode the team to the Superbowl.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Tom Braatz

I don't know Braatz drafted Sterling Sharpe and safety LeRoy Butler and also acquired the extra first-round pick during the 1991 draft from the Eagles, that Ron Wolf subsequently used to trade for Brett Favre. But yeah, he also whiffed on Mandarich (#2 pick) and Fullwood (#4 pick). So a bit of a wash.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I commend the OP's list, here are the changes I would've made.

Mossy Cade should be top 5 worst if not A #1 king of the hill.

Charles Martin should not be anywhere in the top 10 worst. To understand his actions you have to understand the rivalry and have lived through it prior to 1995. Back in '87 when Charles Martin slammed McMahon and had the numbers on his towel the rivalry was the #1 rivalry in the league and the most hated. The Packers at that time hadn't won against the Bears since God knows when and Martin was attempting to swing the tide of the rivalry. By today's standards it is abhorrent, and at the time it happened he was suspended.

Desmond Howard: Top 10 best? For 1 superb game and 1 good year?

Also where is Mandarich and his small feet (I still laugh at that Madden line) on this list?

Nitschke the captain of the Lombardi Defense isn't on the list?

Favre is too low

Rodgers is too high.

No Terrel Buckley?

Keith Jackson is a bit of revisionist history. He waited about 9 weeks into the regular season before reporting to Green Bay after being traded, and rode the team to the Superbowl.

No surprise you would say that

GreenNGold_81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The worst Packers list gets pretty obscure... Probably not really worth ranking IMO because it'll be bit players.

Best Packers is a pretty easy list... Look at HOF entrants and then sort by name, that's the best way to rank them... in alphabetical order.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
No, Starr and perhaps Devine were worse.
Starr & Devine were up there IMO, but Sherman was a horrible GM. Traded up into the 4th round for a punter who never saw action and wasn’t close to Ray Guy territory in college. Dumbest move ever. Sherman IMO is in a class by himself.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre 2 Superbowl appearances, in back to back years 3 Time MVP in back to back to back years

Rodgers 1 Superbowl 3 Time MVP over a 10 year period.

I said what I said and stand by it, and have the stats to back it up.

Pretty sure Rodgers playoff numbers trump Favre's

GreenReign

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Darren Sharper should be #1 as worst. Based solely on the absolute pos he is off the field. As for best, come on man, how could you leave off Don Hutson, Sterling Sharpe, Charles Woodson etc?

GreenReign

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No he isn't. He holds the record in Green Bay for punt return yards (875), most punt return TDs in a season (3), and of course a SB MVP. He definitely stands as Green Bay's greatest special teams return guy apart from possibly Roell Preston.

He shouldn't even be on the list, especially over guys such as Hutson, Sharpe, Adams, Jordy, and Woodson. That, and he only played what 1 season for the Packers?

Team Ronny

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What about Brent fullwood? Wasn't he a 1st round pick that amounted to nothing?
I think Charles Woodson definitely in the top 5..that guy made some incredible plays! He was a big factor in the 2010 superbowl run.

Members online

Latest posts