Ranking The Top 10 Best And Worst Packers Of All Time

D

Deleted member 6794

He DIDN'T take Bo Jackson over a 7 round period as well and INSTEAD took Fullwood.

To be fair, no other team selected Jackson until the Raiders took him in the seventh round after he was abundantly clear he was pursuing a career in baseball.

On top of it, he refused to play for the Bucs who selected him first overall the previous year.

Favre 2 Superbowl appearances, in back to back years 3 Time MVP in back to back to back years

Rodgers 1 Superbowl 3 Time MVP over a 10 year period.

I said what I said and stand by it, and have the stats to back it up.

I don't think Favre making it to one Super Bowl more than Rodgers backs up your point of view.

There are many individual stats that support the case for Rodgers being the superior quarterback.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Decided to get a side by side comparison of Favre (as a Packer) and Rodgers playoff stats counting SBs

If I've done the math right ....

Favre: 5,311 passing yards, 39 TDs, 28 interceptions, 33 sacks taken for 214 yards lost, 3 fumbles lost, about an 86.3 average rating, and a 12-10 overall record

Rodgers: 5,669 passing yards, 45 TDs, 13 interceptions, 50 sacks taken for 329 yards lost, 5 fumbles lost, a 100.5 rating, and 11-9 overall record

Bottom line, SB appearances notwithstanding, I rest my case that Rodgers postseason stats trump Favre's

Last edited:
OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh and to add to that, Favre was backed up by Fritz Shurmur's impenetrable defenses for the first seven years, and hence got back to back SB appearances. Rodgers had to deal with defense playoff blunders giving up 37 points or more five times in his career. Favre only had that happen 2x - once in 1995 vs Dallas and in 2001 vs Rams - and in that last one he handed that garbage Rams defense 21 of their 45 points off of his interceptions. Rodgers never even came close to being that bad in playoff games.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Decided to get a side by side comparison of Favre (as a Packer) and Rodgers playoff stats counting SBs

If I've done the math right ....

Favre: 5,311 passing yards, 39 TDs, 28 interceptions, 33 sacks taken for 214 yards lost, 3 fumbles lost, about an 86.3 average rating, and a 12-10 overall record

Rodgers: 5,669 passing yards, 45 TDs, 13 interceptions, 50 sacks taken for 329 yards lost, 5 fumbles lost, a 100.5 rating, and 11-9 overall record

Bottom line, SB appearances notwithstanding, I rest my case that Rodgers postseason stats trump Favre's

How many NFC Championships did each win? I'd rather have the wins than the stats, as would any forward thinking Packers fan...cause those NFC Championships mean more chances at a Superbowl and as it stands it's Favre 2 Rodgers 1

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Slick Ric put Rodgers on the Favre teams and he is 2-0 in SBs. Put Favre on the Rodgers teams and he is 0-1. As a forward thinking Packer fan its all good by me as either way the Packers are 2-1.

D

Deleted member 6794

How many NFC Championships did each win? I'd rather have the wins than the stats, as would any forward thinking Packers fan...cause those NFC Championships mean more chances at a Superbowl and as it stands it's Favre 2 Rodgers 1

You need to consider that football is a team sport. Favre definitely benefitted from the Packers having an elite defense in both seasons they made it to the Super Bowl. Unfortunately Rodgers never had one of these units aside of in 2010.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Slick Ric put Rodgers on the Favre teams and he is 2-0 in SBs. Put Favre on the Rodgers teams and he is 0-1. As a forward thinking Packer fan its all good by me as either way the Packers are 2-1.

I might go so far as to say 3-0. No way he would have thrown 6 ints vs the Rams.

OP
OP
PackerfaninCarolina

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Either way, the ridiculous narrative that just keeps constantly being promoted by anti Rodgers suckers like Ric is why us Rodgers defenders get pissed and feel the kind of animosity that we do. No question Favre was a great QB which is why I put him in the top 10 list. But there's just no question Rodgers gave us better chances to win even in playoff games we lost than Favre would have.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You're telling me with Jordy Nelson Favre doesn't win a superbowl? With JerMichael Finley Greg Jennings and Jordy he doesn't win a Superbowl? With ANY version of Davante Adams he doesn't win a Superbowl? Then again Schultzie...you know nothing, you saw nothing you weren't even here when it happened were ya?

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gotta give you props on your finishing touch. To answer the question. I wasn't there but I was here.

D

Deleted member 6794

I might go so far as to say 3-0. No way he would have thrown 6 ints vs the Rams.

That didn't happen in a Super Bowl though.

You're telling me with Jordy Nelson Favre doesn't win a superbowl? With JerMichael Finley Greg Jennings and Jordy he doesn't win a Superbowl? With ANY version of Davante Adams he doesn't win a Superbowl? Then again Schultzie...you know nothing, you saw nothing you weren't even here when it happened were ya?

The Packers might have won the Super Bowl with Favre (in his prime) on the 2010 roster but other than that they wouldn't made it to another one since with him either.

speakhands

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whoa, how was Don Hutson not on the Best list in the OP?

Best:
1. Vince Lombardi (if we're counting coaches)
2. Bart Starr
3. Aaron Rodgers
4. Don Hutson
5. Brett Favre
6. Ray Nitschke
7. Curly Lambeau
8. Sterling Sharpe
9. LeRoy Butler
10. Reggie White
Honorable Mention: William Henderson

Not sure about worst, but I'll give it a shot:

1. Brad Jones (seriously, no love for this game-killing oaf?)
2. Tony Mandarich
3. Justin Harrell
4. Martellus Bennett
5. Joe Johnson
6. Terry Glenn
7. Tim Masthay
8. John Michels
9. Jamal Reynolds
10. Ahmad Carroll

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sorry but any Packers top 10 list that doesn't include Don Hutson or Jerry Kramer loses any credibility on that point alone. I'll play though.

1. Bart Starr
2. Reggie White
3. Brett Favre
4. Jerry Kramer
5. Aaron Rodgers
6. Don Hutson
7. Charles Woodson
8. Leroy Butler
9. Ray Nitschke
10. Jordy

jdizz81

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Derrick sherrod quinetn rollings datone jones Justin Harrell damirous randell or should we call that Ted Tompson lol missed on several top picks in that era hampering the mid 2010s of rodgers prime

Pugger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1. Reggie White - no question about it - super power could play any DL position and dominate and could do it in today's game, he would toss any one of our OL right now like a rag doll.
2. Don Hutson - the man brought the legacy to the packers.
3. Brett Favre - 16 years of gunslinger - the epitomy of blood and guts.
4. Ray Nitschke - the man was a war horse...he might be the MOST underrated LB of all time.
5. Aaron Rodgers - the skill he brings puts him in the top 10 easily.
6. Sterling Sharpe - a shortened career does not deny him a seat at this table, just an absolute freak physically and skill wise.
7. Donald Driver - super fly in his prime was absolutely electric.
8. Herb Adderley - the guy could literally do it all
9. Devante Adams - Sorry Lofton, he is so much better
10. Charles Woodson - this man was a football player's football player...cat-like skills, coverage and being able to react.

and now for the bad:

1. Bruce Clark - refused to play in gb, enuff said.
2. Tony Mandarich - roid use and overblown scouting set him up.
3. Charles Martin - disgraced the team with his extracurriculars
4. Haha Clinton Dix - sorry but there is a reason why he is no longer in the league, uncoachable
5. Joe Johnson - the packers org got little on this investment
6. Jamal Reynolds - got no push, or very little
7. Justin Harrell - big and beefy but had little impact
8. Barry Smith - the early 70's pick that was a complete wash
9. Jerry Tagge - wow its amazing he was a 1st rounder
10. Ahmad Carroll - toasty...again what were the scouts looking at?
Justin Harrell was an injury bust IMO. We'll never know what he could have been.

Zad Fnark

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lol... Bewoh Jue...

We used to just groan every time he came on the field.

In Neenah, we have a Chinese Restaurant, called Bao Ju, which keeps reminding me of him.

red4tribe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ranking the ten worst players is virtually impossible, but I'll give the ten best a shot.

1. Don Hutson: if we are controlling for the era in which they played, I don't think this is even a question. Hutson was the single most dominant player of his era, and maybe ever. He held the receiving TD record until 1989 and still ranks 11th all time, which is insane for someone who began his career in 1935. Hutson arguably revolutionized the sport more than any NFL player in history. This is a clear-cut decision to me.

2. Aaron Rodgers: for a long time, I was unsure whether to rank Rodgers or Favre as better, but I've come to believe Rodgers is the better QB. He just doesn't make the same dumb mistakes that Brett did and he's probably going to get his 4th MVP this season, passing Favre's 3.

3. Ray Nitschke: the heart and soul of Lombardi's defense. It's hard to showcase any of his numbers because defensive stats weren't really counted in his era, but there's a reason he's one of just a handful of Packers to have their number retired.

4. Brett Favre: 3 time MVP, Super Bowl champ, resurrected the franchise after two decades of terrible play. He'd be higher if not for his mistakes in the playoffs towards the end of his career.

5. Paul Hornung: He did everything. He could run the ball, throw it, and kick. A real jack of all trades, and probably the most valuable offensive player on the 61-62 champions.

6. Jim Taylor: Arguably the best RB/FB of his era.

7. Bart Starr: Five-time NFL Champion, leader of Lombardi's offense, no more need be said.

8. Reggie White: This may seem a little low, but most of his career wasn't with the Packers. That being said, without him, we probably don't win the Super Bowl in 1996. So he should be on this list. If we were talking about careers as a whole, and not just with the Packers, I'd probably put him #2.

9. Herb Adderly: Top CB of his time.

10. Forrest Gregg: Maybe the best offensive lineman of all time.

We have such a rich history that it's hard to just choose ten. If I had room for a few more, I'd have included Charles Woodson, James Lofton, Tony Canadeo, Willie Wood, Willie Davis, Jerry Kramer, and Sterling Sharpe. Those would be my top 17 players and I think you could make an argument for any of them in the top ten.

I like this video for a good summary of just how good Don Hutson was.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Ranking the ten worst players is virtually impossible, but I'll give the ten best a shot.

1. Don Hutson: if we are controlling for the era in which they played, I don't think this is even a question. Hutson was the single most dominant player of his era, and maybe ever. He held the receiving TD record until 1989 and still ranks 11th all time, which is insane for someone who began his career in 1935. Hutson arguably revolutionized the sport more than any NFL player in history. This is a clear-cut decision to me.

2. Aaron Rodgers: for a long time, I was unsure whether to rank Rodgers or Favre as better, but I've come to believe Rodgers is the better QB. He just doesn't make the same dumb mistakes that Brett did and he's probably going to get his 4th MVP this season, passing Favre's 3.

3. Ray Nitschke: the heart and soul of Lombardi's defense. It's hard to showcase any of his numbers because defensive stats weren't really counted in his era, but there's a reason he's one of just a handful of Packers to have their number retired.

4. Brett Favre: 3 time MVP, Super Bowl champ, resurrected the franchise after two decades of terrible play. He'd be higher if not for his mistakes in the playoffs towards the end of his career.

5. Paul Hornung: He did everything. He could run the ball, throw it, and kick. A real jack of all trades, and probably the most valuable offensive player on the 61-62 champions.

6. Jim Taylor: Arguably the best RB/FB of his era.

7. Bart Starr: Five-time NFL Champion, leader of Lombardi's offense, no more need be said.

8. Reggie White: This may seem a little low, but most of his career wasn't with the Packers. That being said, without him, we probably don't win the Super Bowl in 1996. So he should be on this list. If we were talking about careers as a whole, and not just with the Packers, I'd probably put him #2.

9. Herb Adderly: Top CB of his time.

10. Forrest Gregg: Maybe the best offensive lineman of all time.

We have such a rich history that it's hard to just choose ten. If I had room for a few more, I'd have included Charles Woodson, James Lofton, Tony Canadeo, Willie Wood, Willie Davis, Jerry Kramer, and Sterling Sharpe. Those would be my top 17 players and I think you could make an argument for any of them in the top ten.

I like this video for a good summary of just how good Don Hutson was.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Somebody has a fetish for the Lombardi Packers. No way Jim Taylor was the best RB of his era. He was top 5 though. Until recently I didn't know that Nitschke was one of the physically largest players on the roster. As large as or larger than many of the OL he played against. I think he played in the 230-250# range.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
These lists are missing guys like Clark Hinkle, Cal Hubbard, Johnny Blood. There just aren't that many people around anymore that saw those guys play, leading to them falling off of the lists. Don Hutson has the insane stats and the statue outside, but some of these other guys were beasts of their times as well. It's hard when limiting to only top 10 over 100 years. Maybe a fun exercise would be an alternate list with the best of each decade.

I wonder what the Packers are going to do after adding Aaron Rodgers and a few more guys to the Ring of Honor. They might have to start a second ring when more of these guys go into Canton.

Members online

Latest posts