Ranking The Top 10 Best And Worst Packers Of All Time

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
I don't rank them based on numbers necessarily, but how they impacted the team for each era they played in.

10 Best

10. TE - Keith Jackson: I put him up here because even to this day I say he's set the gold standard for TEs in Green Bay and could do a lot of everything

9. S - Leroy Butler: hands down the greatest safety to ever wear the green and gold, and of course invented the time-honored Lambeau leap tradition

8. QB - Brett Favre: some may object to his being this far down the list, but while he certainly was a big part of success here for 16 years, he was his own worst enemy who prevented the team from winning more Superbowls.

7. RB - Jim Taylor: his records may be broken by now, but I still gotta put him as the originator of the real Green Bay running game. He was the thundering bull while Hornung was the lightning ram.

6. WR - Donald Driver: we could pick any number of great receivers who brought the fire to Lambeau from Lofton, to Sharpe, to Brooks and Freeman, and even beyond that to Jennings, Cobb, and now Adams. But Driver was truly something else coming from obscurity at a little college called Alcorn State, to becoming one of our greatest targets who showed up week in and week out and was always ready to go. Gotta put him as the king WR here.

5. QB - Bart Starr: Still to this day the only QB in Green Bay with more than one SB win to his name

4. KR - Desmond Howard: there are only ever a few special teams return guys who come in either one generation or another and give you something truly spectacular to see, and this guy was one of them. He sealed the deal in SB XXXI and rightfully walked out of there with the MVP.

3. RB - Ahman Green: it was a shame we were never able to get this guy a SB ring, but even despite his fumble issues, Ahman Green should still be considered the best RB in Packers history. As soon as he touched that ball, look out.

2. QB - Aaron Rodgers: need I say any more?

1. DE - Reggie White: it continues to amaze me that he isn't talked about these days, and honestly, Mark Murphy needs to get on the ball and have a big 200 foot gold statue erected of him because yes, he is in fact the Greatest Packer of all time and anyone who says otherwise knows nothing about football and nothing at all for that matter. Not only was Reggie White the biggest sack machine and bull rusher in Packer history, he was the biggest catalyst for changing the culture here as the only voice in the locker room who demanded winning here. Everything the modern day winning Packers are built on was built by Reggie White.

10 Worst

10. LB - Datone Jones: likely forgotten in 10 years, but you know whenever his name is brought up, it's not for anything good.

9. QB - Rich Campbell: the Cal not-so-golden bear who unfortunately happened to don a Packer jersey

8. WR - Mark Ingram Sr: Actually did not realize he was the current NFL star RB's dad until looking him up, but ... he did practically nothing for us besides mouth off and give off toxicity here in Green Bay.

7. RB - Dijuan Harris: a guy with potential but no heart

6. DT - Jo Johnson: not sure whether he or Terry Glenn was the biggest disappointment as a free agent signing, but he sucked up a lot of money for nothing

5. S - Bewoh Jue: when you can make a guy like Kentrell Brice look like Troy Polamalu in his prime, you know you're a weak *** and a soft DB.

4. CB - Ahmad Carroll: if Reggie White was the icon of the greatest defense in Packers history, this guy was the exact opposite. Couldn't get rid of him quick enough.

3. QB - TJ Rubley: one simple job to do .... and he couldn't do it.

2. LB - Charles Martin: thankfully the culture he and his hoodlums promoted around here back in the 80s has long been eradicated. Unfortunately, his name is still known and makes you feel for Jim McMahon and his family.

1. QB - Brett Hundley: and taking home the award for being the biggest disgrace of a player here ... Brett Stinko Hundley. Any game film from this guy can be used as a teaching tool for Jordan Love on what not to do. Booyah!!!!
May I add Ray Nitchski

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
10 best
1. Don Hutson
2. Forrest Gregg - Lombardi called him the best player he ever coached! HOF
3. Ray Nitschke
4. Bart Starr
5. Reggie White
6. Herb Adderly
7. Sterling Sharpe
8. AR
9. Gale Gillingham - Besides Gregg, greatest lineman ever to play for the franchise but was overlooked because he played on bad teams.
10. Charles Woodson

10 Worst
1. John Hadl
2 Jamal Reynolds
3 Ahmad Carrol
4 Rich Campbell
5. Justin Harrell
6. Mossy Cade
7. Jerry Taggee
8. Tony Mandarich
9. Brandon Bostic
10. Kevin King

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some people have Charles Martin on their list of worst Packers for bodyslamming Jim McMahan. To put some perspective on that: in 1980, a**hole Ditka ran the score up on Bart Starr's Packers 61-7. Forrest Gregg didn't forget that so he had his team even the score with some cheap shots when he took over for Starr. After that, the series was played rather cleanly until Mike McCarthy ran the score up on the Bears in 2014. Since then. the Bears have delivered some cheap shots on Devonte Adams.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since the Super Bowl he is 7-10 in playoff games. He has underperformed in most of those games. He'll be 39, his salary is $45 million.

Yes - If you throw out the time he won a Super Bowl, he hasn't won a Super Bowl.

He did play poorly in this last game, but I would argue that he put his team in a position to win those other playoff games. His play was not awful, but the team underperformed.

And he's poised to win another MVP this year. I'd say he's playing at a fairly high level.

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yes - If you throw out the time he won a Super Bowl, he hasn't won a Super Bowl.

He did play poorly in this last game, but I would argue that he put his team in a position to those other playoff games. His play was not awful, but the team underperformed.

And he's poised to win another MVP this year. I'd say he's playing at a fairly high level.
Come on man, you are ruining the narrative that Rodgers stinks!

I think short of single handedly winning the next 5 Super Bowls, many Packer fans will continue to lay the Franchises many failures and all but 1 failed season since 2008 at the feet of Aaron Rodgers. Pretty much the same respect they gave Favre.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Martellus Bennet was pretty bad
While Bennet basically just took up space and played poorly, he didn't cost a first round draft pick nor did he cost the team a trip to the Super Bowl like Bostic or King with egregious mistakes. There have been plenty of guys like Bennet that were free agents who didn't produce. Was he worse than Sternberger? He cost the Packers a third round pick and did nothing.

Reaction score
Fyi Hundley was a 5th Rd pick who GB needed to step up in his 2nd year due to a Rodgers injury. He wasn't ready...but to be #1 worst? C'mon, man.
Yeah I’m not sure Hundley would make the worst impactful list top 20 being a Day 3 selection that played minimal time. Id remove Hundley, slide everyone down

and throw in FA Martellus Bennett at #10 (or dishonorable mention) I believe he hated the Packers all along and he was toxic While we didn’t use a draft selection he did sign a 3X21M contract and peed 6.3mil into the wind for a bunch of mouth. That’s about $8mil in todays world and that should get you a guy like Amos-Aaron Jones type impact. Total goofball

I know Devondre Campbell is new on the team with 1 season. However I’m giving him an honorable mention status at #11. Inside just 1 season he completely changed the ILB dynamic. He also signed cheap and is possibly the only FA we’ve signed near Vet minimum that also went 1st team All-Pro. Terrific signing. He’s a big reason why GB didn’t regress on Defense after losing 2 of our 3 best Defenders (Z’ and J’).

Last edited:

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Some people have Charles Martin on their list of worst Packers for bodyslamming Jim McMahan. To put some perspective on that: in 1980, a**hole Ditka ran the score up on Bart Starr's Packers 61-7. Forrest Gregg didn't forget that so he had his team even the score with some cheap shots when he took over for Starr. After that, the series was played rather cleanly until Mike McCarthy ran the score up on the Bears in 2014. Since then. the Bears have delivered some cheap shots on Devonte Adams.

... True ... this post. The Bears and the Packers during the Ditka/Gregg era were a twice a year blood-letting. Ditka encouraged it and Gregg did not discourage it. It was worth the price of a ticket just to see the extracurriculars. Both organizations were a reflection of their respective head coach. Was Martin dirty? Yeah, against the Bears. Was McMahon a blowhole? Yeah, all the time. I got over it quickly. Let's not forget the Packer's DB - can't remember his name, #29 comes to mind, blowing Matt Suhey over a sideline bench - that was a classic too.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chuck Cecil? Looked it up...Kenny Stills.

Don‘t ever confuse Cecil with Stills. Cecil made huge hits over the middle that at the time were legal… frankly he was a big reason the rules were changed.… literally while he was playing. His hits used to be legal and he would literally destroy receivers. I don’t think he ever finished a game without a bloody nose.. because apparently spearing with your face and helmet were kinda sorta legal. Stills on the other hand, was just dirty. He was king of the late hit etc…

Last edited:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I’m not sure Hundley would make the worst impactful list top 20 being a Day 3 selection that played minimal time. Id remove Hundley, slide everyone down

and throw in FA Martellus Bennett at #10 (or dishonorable mention) I believe he hated the Packers all along and he was toxic While we didn’t use a draft selection he did sign a 3X21M contract and peed 6.3mil into the wind for a bunch of mouth. That’s about $8mil in todays world and that should get you a guy like Amos-Aaron Jones type impact. Total goofball

I know Devondre Campbell is new on the team with 1 season. However I’m giving him an honorable mention status at #11. Inside just 1 season he completely changed the ILB dynamic. He also signed cheap and is possibly the only FA we’ve signed near Vet minimum that also went 1st team All-Pro. Terrific signing. He’s a big reason why GB didn’t regress on Defense after losing 2 of our 3 best Defenders (Z’ and J’).
Hundley wouldn't even be the worst drafted QB in team history so how he's on #1 worst all time is beyond me. Trust me I may have been 4 but I remember Hundley being better than Rich Campbell.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Hundley was a case of getting caught with your pants around your ankles when your FHOF QB goes down. Sadly, the Packers never learned their lesson and continue to have a #2 QB, with very little NFL experience.

Reaction score
Hundley was a case of getting caught with your pants around your ankles when your FHOF QB goes down. Sadly, the Packers never learned their lesson and continue to have a #2 QB, with very little NFL experience.
I know. I’m one that’s leaning on having a #2 that’s more than average capable of coming in and winning games. Obviously there is an occasional season where our cap is destroyed, like now. However just taking into consideration the pure value of that position and I’m surprised teams just decide to “give up” if their #1 QB goes down (all their eggs in 1 basket approach).

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I know. I’m one that’s leaning on having a #2 that’s more than average capable of coming in and winning games. Obviously there is an occasional season where our cap is destroyed, like now. However just taking into consideration the pure value of that position and I’m surprised teams just decide to “give up” if their #1 QB goes down (all their eggs in 1 basket approach).
I have never understood not having an experienced backup, when you are a contender AND....this is important, your offense strongly relies on having a great QB. It is one thing for teams with an average QB, but an all around good offense surrounding him, loses their starting QB. We have seen what happens to the Packer offense when Hundley, Kizer or Love filled in. The one exception in the last...many years..Matt Flynn filled in and smoked the Lions. That was great but even better, he cashed in on that one game and scorched the Seahawks to the tune of a 3 year $26M contract, with $10M guaranteed, which at the time was quite a bit of money, even for a QB.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The ten worst Packers of all time are long forgotten. They're guys that got put on the roster for one week because of injury and ten immediately cut.

The guys that are remembered were good enough to at least stick around for a while.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The ten worst Packers of all time are long forgotten. They're guys that got put on the roster for one week because of injury and ten immediately cut.

The guys that are remembered were good enough to at least stick around for a while.
Or, more to the point, had enough invested in them to allow for every conceivable chance to succeed.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't rank them based on numbers necessarily, but how they impacted the team for each era they played in.

10 Best

10. TE - Keith Jackson: I put him up here because even to this day I say he's set the gold standard for TEs in Green Bay and could do a lot of everything

9. S - Leroy Butler: hands down the greatest safety to ever wear the green and gold, and of course invented the time-honored Lambeau leap tradition

8. QB - Brett Favre: some may object to his being this far down the list, but while he certainly was a big part of success here for 16 years, he was his own worst enemy who prevented the team from winning more Superbowls.

7. RB - Jim Taylor: his records may be broken by now, but I still gotta put him as the originator of the real Green Bay running game. He was the thundering bull while Hornung was the lightning ram.

6. WR - Donald Driver: we could pick any number of great receivers who brought the fire to Lambeau from Lofton, to Sharpe, to Brooks and Freeman, and even beyond that to Jennings, Cobb, and now Adams. But Driver was truly something else coming from obscurity at a little college called Alcorn State, to becoming one of our greatest targets who showed up week in and week out and was always ready to go. Gotta put him as the king WR here.

5. QB - Bart Starr: Still to this day the only QB in Green Bay with more than one SB win to his name

4. KR - Desmond Howard: there are only ever a few special teams return guys who come in either one generation or another and give you something truly spectacular to see, and this guy was one of them. He sealed the deal in SB XXXI and rightfully walked out of there with the MVP.

3. RB - Ahman Green: it was a shame we were never able to get this guy a SB ring, but even despite his fumble issues, Ahman Green should still be considered the best RB in Packers history. As soon as he touched that ball, look out.

2. QB - Aaron Rodgers: need I say any more?

1. DE - Reggie White: it continues to amaze me that he isn't talked about these days, and honestly, Mark Murphy needs to get on the ball and have a big 200 foot gold statue erected of him because yes, he is in fact the Greatest Packer of all time and anyone who says otherwise knows nothing about football and nothing at all for that matter. Not only was Reggie White the biggest sack machine and bull rusher in Packer history, he was the biggest catalyst for changing the culture here as the only voice in the locker room who demanded winning here. Everything the modern day winning Packers are built on was built by Reggie White.

10 Worst

10. LB - Datone Jones: likely forgotten in 10 years, but you know whenever his name is brought up, it's not for anything good.

9. QB - Rich Campbell: the Cal not-so-golden bear who unfortunately happened to don a Packer jersey

8. WR - Mark Ingram Sr: Actually did not realize he was the current NFL star RB's dad until looking him up, but ... he did practically nothing for us besides mouth off and give off toxicity here in Green Bay.

7. RB - Dijuan Harris: a guy with potential but no heart

6. DT - Jo Johnson: not sure whether he or Terry Glenn was the biggest disappointment as a free agent signing, but he sucked up a lot of money for nothing

5. S - Bewoh Jue: when you can make a guy like Kentrell Brice look like Troy Polamalu in his prime, you know you're a weak *** and a soft DB.

4. CB - Ahmad Carroll: if Reggie White was the icon of the greatest defense in Packers history, this guy was the exact opposite. Couldn't get rid of him quick enough.

3. QB - TJ Rubley: one simple job to do .... and he couldn't do it.

2. LB - Charles Martin: thankfully the culture he and his hoodlums promoted around here back in the 80s has long been eradicated. Unfortunately, his name is still known and makes you feel for Jim McMahon and his family.

1. QB - Brett Hundley: and taking home the award for being the biggest disgrace of a player here ... Brett Stinko Hundley. Any game film from this guy can be used as a teaching tool for Jordan Love on what not to do. Booyah!!!!

Of all time?

Or just your time?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts