Ranking the drafts: Which is the best?

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
The roots of the best teams, particularly the most memorable rosters that grow into Super Bowl champions, are the draft classes that precede them. Scan through the Packers of today, the 1990s or t...

Source: Packers.com

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I was surprised by that too, ivo610. Particularly because of the 1995 draft's relation to the 1996 championship team was matched (IMO) by the 2009 draft's relation to the 2010 championship team. That '95 draft was amazing - Wolf hit big on the first round pick and then hit big on three of four third rounders (he just missed on DL Darius Holland who was talented but inconsistent). And Wolf picked up more talent in later rounds. That draft provided more contributors to the '96 team than the '09 draft did for the '10 champions, but I don't think the Packers would have won it all last season without the contributions of Raji and Matthews. Perhaps the author was abiding by the 'it takes 3 years to evaluate a draft' rule but that certainly doesn't apply to the Packers' 2009 first rounders.

My biggest problem with the story, particularly as it appears on the Packers own website, is the absence of the one man most responsible for four of the best ten drafts in Packers history (according to the author). And that man of course is Jack Vainisi!

Members online

Latest posts