Randall Cobb

Lawdog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You your injuries and your salary can leave at the end of the year. Goodbye Sir.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Since it appears he already had his own thread, I will put this hear. For all those people bashing the Cobb trade and thinking he was washed up and it was just done to appease #12, read this. While I wasn't 100% sure Cobb would work out, I was pretty confident that his chemistry with Rodgers would be there and so far it has been.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since it appears he already had his own thread, I will put this hear. For all those people bashing the Cobb trade and thinking he was washed up and it was just done to appease #12, read this. While I wasn't 100% sure Cobb would work out, I was pretty confident that his chemistry with Rodgers would be there and so far it has been.

I won't say he was washed up but to be fair I'm pretty convinced it was done to appease Rodgers. If Rodgers had not been acting the way he was I highly doubt they make that trade. I'm not saying it was good or bad, it was certainly good last for last week. I agree with what you said about the chemistry.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I won't say he was washed up but to be fair I'm pretty convinced it was done to appease Rodgers. If Rodgers had not been acting the way he was I highly doubt they make that trade. I'm not saying it was good or bad, it was certainly good last for last week. I agree with what you said about the chemistry.
Well there was no doubt, at least in my mind, that just drafting Amari Rodgers wasn't going to be enough to improve the WR room all that much. Cobb added veteran presence, leadership, chemistry and a 31 year old guy that still seems to enjoy playing and at a pretty decent level. Some of these 2nd and 3rd contract vets are being paid for what they used to be able to do and often don't live up to even close to their contracts, Jimmy Graham pops into my head. So far, I think the Packers are getting what they paid for with Cobb.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

So one game says it can never go south?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So one game says it can never go south?
While he had only 4 catches on 5 targets prior to the Steeler game, I think he has looked pretty good in all 4 games. Therefore, I wouldn't call what he did against the Steelers a one game anomaly. Could he get hurt and his production drops dramatically? Sure, but so could any players. I don't see the signs of a guy who has lost a lot of speed, brains or ability to catch the ball, so I don't foresee that cliff fall, unless he gets injured.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well there was no doubt, at least in my mind, that just drafting Amari Rodgers wasn't going to be enough to improve the WR room all that much. Cobb added veteran presence, leadership, chemistry and a 31 year old guy that still seems to enjoy playing and at a pretty decent level. Some of these 2nd and 3rd contract vets are being paid for what they used to be able to do and often don't live up to even close to their contracts, Jimmy Graham pops into my head. So far, I think the Packers are getting what they paid for with Cobb.
I agree with all of this. I just think they would have looked elsewhere for a veteran presence if Aaron Rodgers had been a happy camper and that's the direction they decided to take. That said looking at the WRs that may have been available for that compensation (salary and trade value) Cobb may have been the best choice all along. Especially given his familiarity with the Packers and chemistry with Rodgers.

I'm not upset at all that they made the deal but I still think it was done mostly to appease Rodgers and I don't think it would have been done if Rodgers hadn't been acting like he had been.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
While he had only 4 catches on 5 targets prior to the Steeler game, I think he has looked pretty good in all 4 games. Therefore, I wouldn't call what he did against the Steelers a one game anomaly. Could he get hurt and his production drops dramatically? Sure, but so could any players. I don't see the signs of a guy who has lost a lot of speed, brains or ability to catch the ball, so I don't foresee that cliff fall, unless he gets injured.
I was very okay with him being signed.

*My stance isnt if he gets hurt.*

I just dont want one game for people to say...See Rodgers was right.

Was it because Mvs gone for that game? Someone had to pick up the slack. ( Yes I know diff type of wr) but Cobb didnt have this production when Mvs was playing.

So when Mvs is back, lets see his production..

When he signed, I expected under 60 catches.. Maybe even under 50. And less that 6 tds.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree… I do wonder though… If the Packers had not signed Cobb, and had a little more money available… would Gilmore now be a Panther ?

D

Deleted member 6794

I agree… I do wonder though… If the Packers had not signed Cobb, and had a little more money available… would Gilmore now be a Panther ?

The Packers would only have an additional $2.7 million of cap space for this season. I don't think that would have made a huge difference.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

The Packers would only have an additional $2.7 million of cap space for this season. I don't think that would have made a huge difference.
My guess...they would have spent it elsewhere to try and improve the team. It appears Gute has shoved most of his chips in to try and win a SB, I am guessing the FO had a set number that they wanted to keep in reserve for the normal signings during the season.

I also think had the Patriots cut Gilmore, the Packers would have been in a better position to negotiate a new contract with him and push more money out into the future, while keeping this seasons salary affordable. A trade locked Gilmore into money that the Packers didn't have and probably would have turned Gilmore into a partial season rental since his contract is up at the end of the year.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
First, I don't care whether it was Rodgers idea or Gute's idea, the WR group was improved with the addition of Cobb and really for the price, name another Free Agent that you would have rather signed at WR.

Also, I still am not looking at just the 1 game. Remember, while Cobb established great chemistry with Rodgers before leaving in Free Agency, that was in Mike McCarthy's offense. This is a brand new offense and I imagine it took some time for him to absorb it all. He has never looked lost or dropped easy passes. Both his catch % and yards/catch are really good.

I actually think MVS's injury may turn out to be a blessing in disguise for the Packers. Yes, the long passes, when completed are awesome, but MVS has 76 yards on 6 catches and 16 targets, that isn't a great % and only 4.75 yds/attempt. 47 of those 76 yards are on 1 catch. For comparison here are the other targets yds/tgt:

- Cobb: 11.55 yds/tgt
- Lazard: 11.38
- A. Jones: 9
- Davante: 8.28
- Tonyan: 4.9
- MVS: 4.75

Without MVS on the field, they may lose an occasional home run, but AR might also complete more short passes and first downs. I think MVS has a role in the offense, but it has to go beyond being just a 1 trick pony.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First, I don't care whether it was Rodgers idea or Gute's idea, the WR group was improved with the addition of Cobb and really for the price, name another Free Agent that you would have rather signed at WR.

Also, I still am not looking at just the 1 game. Remember, while Cobb established great chemistry with Rodgers before leaving in Free Agency, that was in Mike McCarthy's offense. This is a brand new offense and I imagine it took some time for him to absorb it all. He has never looked lost or dropped easy passes. Both his catch % and yards/catch are really good.

I actually think MVS's injury may turn out to be a blessing in disguise for the Packers. Yes, the long passes, when completed are awesome, but MVS has 76 yards on 6 catches and 16 targets, that isn't a great % and only 4.75 yds/attempt. 47 of those 76 yards are on 1 catch. For comparison here are the other targets yds/tgt:

- Cobb: 11.55 yds/tgt
- Lazard: 11.38
- A. Jones: 9
- Davante: 8.28
- Tonyan: 4.9
- MVS: 4.75

Without MVS on the field, they may lose an occasional home run, but AR might also complete more short passes and first downs. I think MVS has a role in the offense, but it has to go beyond being just a 1 trick pony.

You make that 6 catches on 16 targets sound like it was an MVS problem, while it has been in the past - HE has 0% blame on it this year. ZERO.

The reason the MVS injury may help Green Bay is the fact this could cause his cost to sign into future go down - something if we cannot or shouldn't pay Adams what he wants, then MVS in my opinion becomes a must sign.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
You make that 6 catches on 16 targets sound like it was an MVS problem, while it has been in the past - HE has 0% blame on it this year. ZERO.

The reason the MVS injury may help Green Bay is the fact this could cause his cost to sign into future go down - something if we cannot or shouldn't pay Adams what he wants, then MVS in my opinion becomes a must sign.
Zero blame? Yes, Rodgers has stated that a couple of those long ones could have been better throws and MVS has zero drops in 2021, but that is also part of the problem with long passes, it has to be perfect on both ends, he is boom or bust. Saying he has zero blame, due to zero drops, doesn't really tell the complete story either. Is he getting open on short routes? Does Rodgers have confidence in him underneath? MVS has speed, but not the best hands.

I agree that this helps keep his future cost down. Don't get me wrong, I like MVS, but I don't think the Packers should pay a ton to keep him. Unless of course he can prove to be a complete player by showing that he can catch the ball consistently and isn't just a one trick pony.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero blame? Yes, Rodgers has stated that a couple of those long ones could have been better throws and MVS has zero drops in 2021, but that is also part of the problem with long passes, it has to be perfect on both ends, he is boom or bust. Saying he has zero blame, due to zero drops, doesn't really tell the complete story either. Is he getting open on short routes? Does Rodgers have confidence in him underneath? MVS has speed, but not the best hands.

I agree that this helps keep his future cost down. Don't get me wrong, I like MVS, but I don't think the Packers should pay a ton to keep him. Unless of course he can prove to be a complete player by showing that he can catch the ball consistently and isn't just a one trick pony.

It MVS's misses this year on deep balls I don't place the blame on him yet, miss throws or defender played well. I know his past makes it hard to believe, and rightfully so, but that is my evaluation of the deep balls at him so far. I can think of one ball where some argue he let up on, which is the only one I think may have room for discussion on being on his shoulders.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It MVS's misses this year on deep balls I don't place the blame on him yet, miss throws or defender played well. I know his past makes it hard to believe, and rightfully so, but that is my evaluation of the deep balls at him so far. I can think of one ball where some argue he let up on, which is the only one I think may have room for discussion on being on his shoulders.
Again, MVS is a nice deep threat and I acknowledge that. My only issue is that it's a boom or bust play that takes a very accurate throw and a catch. MVS's drop rate of 15.6% last season was pretty high, but if he can improve on that, great, you make it a priority to resign him. That said, I will take a guy that can be counted on to run routes for first downs, catch the ball consistently and on occasion, have a nice long run after the catch. Lazard has put up modest numbers this season, but I look at his stats and compare them to MVS's and there is no question I prefer having Lazard on the field.

Attachments

• tKrDszS.png
    tKrDszS.png
    188.6 KB · Views: 63

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again, MVS is a nice deep threat and I acknowledge that. My only issue is that it's a boom or bust play that takes a very accurate throw and a catch. MVS's drop rate of 15.6% last season was pretty high, but if he can improve on that, great, you make it a priority to resign him. That said, I will take a guy that can be counted on to run routes for first downs, catch the ball consistently and on occasion, have a nice long run after the catch. Lazard has put up modest numbers this season, but I look at his stats and compare them to MVS's and there is no question I prefer having Lazard on the field.

I made no argument for anything, I merely only took contention with the elusion that he is to blame for his lack of more catches this year on his 16 targets is all.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I made no argument for anything, I merely only took contention with the elusion that he is to blame for his lack of more catches this year on his 16 targets is all.
Correct, nor does he get credit for catching them either, but the play itself gets "credited" for 0 yards.

If MVS can become a complete receiver, the deep ball will become just that much more effective. I just haven't seen that in him yet. If he gets back and shows a more well rounded game, while cleaning up the drop issue, then yes, he is a guy you want on the team.

Schultz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
According to Pokerbrat I guess Adams is their #4 pass catcher. Got it. Maybe he can get hurt next and the other guys can get more targets. Good thing the Pack hasn't re-signed him.

Of course I jest. Just pointing out that you can cherry pick stats to make a point.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think there was a noticeable difference in MVS to end last year and to start this year. There was 2 plays early, one a quick strike 4th down play, that showed me he was picking up where he left off.

Reaction score
I was very okay with him being signed.

*My stance isnt if he gets hurt.*

Was it because Mvs gone for that game? Someone had to pick up the slack. ( Yes I know diff type of wr) but Cobb didnt have this production when Mvs was playing.

So when Mvs is back, lets see his production..

When he signed, I expected under 60 catches.. Maybe even under 50. And less that 6 tds.
This is just my gut here, much of it belly fat from too many petite marshmallows in my hot cocoa. Randall was going to be slowly brought along as the season progressed. We both know we weren’t going to rely on him game 1 or whatever. I think him being thrust in early actually benefited this team overall by accident.
After that 1 performance? I’m fully confident Cobb can play the #2 role if needed on occasion and he’ll demand accountability from Defenses. If they leave him unaccounted for to any degree, he will be very damaging to our opponent.

milani

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is just my gut here, much of it belly fat from too many petite marshmallows in my hot cocoa. Randall was going to be slowly brought along as the season progressed. We both know we weren’t going to rely on him game 1 or whatever. I think him being thrust in early actually benefited this team overall by accident.
After that 1 performance? I’m fully confident Cobb can play the #2 role if needed on occasion and he’ll demand accountability from Defenses. If they leave him unaccounted for to any degree, he will be very damaging to our opponent.
Besides, I do not think they used him to run the same routes as MVS. Attacking the D differently.

Reaction score
Besides, I do not think they used him to run the same routes as MVS. Attacking the D differently.
As Rodgers pointed to that exact fact. He said in a recent post game interview that Randall is just a natural Slot receiver.
I don’t think he is petting him, Randall is just is a really seasoned player.

I think we’ve tried to force too many squares into round Slot holes. Randall is a true, bonafide, veteran Slot guy.
Just having him here to teach Amari or to have Amari emulate, is really beneficial in its own right.
Similar to what we had with Tramon at CB.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts