Randall benched.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collins is a player you don't just replace. Be great if it happened, but i think people are asking a little much of the football Gods to grant us 2 HOF QB's in a row AND replace a safety like Collins on defense. There are very few guys with his speed and range back there, that could cover and come up and absolutely lay the wood on someone. He was a special player that was shut down as he was hitting his prime. Dix will never be Collins, can't even expect him to be. I think Dix is a solid player, he can make plays, he's not the guy that's going to light it on fire though.

We need another CB that can play close to Shields, and he'll be better back there too.

I haven't completely given up on Randall yet, as I said... Shields has been benched for poor performance more than once. This is the only article i can find. The others may have just been partial games too, but he hasn't always been good.

http://www.foxsports.com/wisconsin/...on-after-late-game-benching-vs-falcons-121014

Honestly my biggest gripe with Randall is his **** poor tackling, I can't get the image of him whiffing one on one vs Carson Wentz out of my head.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
It´s unrealistic to expect Clinton-Dix to perform on a level with Collins as the latter was most likely headed to Canton. He´s an above average safety who has filled a huge hole on the roster after the Packers struggled to find a decent player at the position for years.
Collins wasn't very good his first couple of years either until Woodson got ahold of him and taught him HOW to play and prepare. We could use Woodson as a DB consultant. I think he's worth at least a million a year to work even part time with guys like Randall, Rollins annd Dix. The man knew his craft.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Collins wasn't very good his first couple of years either until Woodson got ahold of him and taught him HOW to play and prepare. We could use Woodson as a DB consultant. I think he's worth at least a million a year to work even part time with guys like Randall, Rollins annd Dix. The man knew his craft.

All that and not having Shields around has to not help. He was starting to take a bigger leadership role.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Randall will be fine in time i'm hoping. Worse case scenario I could see him being used as a hybrid free safety and putting Dix closer to the box. Depending on how things work out probably gonna have to use another high draft pick on a corner again with the Shields situation.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I find concerning about Randall is his inability to close if the WR gets separation. He seems to lack burst to either cover or come up and tackle. He shows good skill in tracking the football and gets his head around most of the time, but he really isn't suited to play corner due to his lack of quickness. TT reached in getting him as a corner but they need to salvage something out of a first round pick so I agree that moving him to safety is a good idea.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What I find concerning about Randall is his inability to close if the WR gets separation. He seems to lack burst to either cover or come up and tackle. He shows good skill in tracking the football and gets his head around most of the time, but he really isn't suited to play corner due to his lack of quickness. TT reached in getting him as a corner but they need to salvage something out of a first round pick so I agree that moving him to safety is a good idea.

I believe I was the first person to ever suggest moving him to safety in this forum. However he can't tackle. Doesn't help he's undersized either. Idk what to do with the guy now.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he could tackle, but I think seeing how hard the other guys can hit and some injuries have made him think twice about his longevity in this league. I seem to remember him putting some sticks on guys his rookie year. Or maybe that was Rollins? I could never keep those guys straight, and either way, they've both regressed this year.

His size makes me question the FS, but i do think he has more playmaking ability than either of the guys we have back there currently. But it's not good if he's a liability in other ways.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think he could tackle, but I think seeing how hard the other guys can hit and some injuries have made him think twice about his longevity in this league. I seem to remember him putting some sticks on guys his rookie year. Or maybe that was Rollins? I could never keep those guys straight, and either way, they've both regressed this year.

His size makes me question the FS, but i do think he has more playmaking ability than either of the guys we have back there currently. But it's not good if he's a liability in other ways.

I definitely think HCD is the better of the two by a wide margin. Now Is Randall better than Rollins or Gunter? Yes, but that's not saying much. Look at the roster. You have a secondary full off zone coverage caliber players. Hell at this point Hyde is probably their best man to man corner with Shields out and even that's not saying much.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think alot of people are pushing the panic button a little early on Randall. He hasn't played well at all I agree but he's still in his 2nd season and dealing with injuries. I wasn't for the pick like alot of you, mostly for his injury problems. But he has shown ability to be a turnover type corner. We will need a corner in the 1st 2nd or 3rd if Shields is done though just for depth. It would be great if we grabbed Desmond King or Cameron Sutton IMO..

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think alot of people are pushing the panic button a little early on Randall. He hasn't played well at all I agree but he's still in his 2nd season and dealing with injuries. I wasn't for the pick like alot of you, mostly for his injury problems. But he has shown ability to be a turnover type corner. We will need a corner in the 1st 2nd or 3rd if Shields is done though just for depth. It would be great if we grabbed Desmond King or Cameron Sutton IMO..

Desmond king would be my pick. I think he's got the size and speed to impact whatever team gets him. I'd compare him to Nick Collins as far as measurebles coming out of college.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Desmond king would be my pick. I think he's got the size and speed to impact whatever team gets him. I'd compare him to Nick Collins as far as measurebles coming out of college.
I really like Desmond King alot. He will cost a 1st RD pick but man would he bring some real DB talent to our Dbackfield. Another good CB that should be available 3rd RD is Cameron Sutton from Tennessee! Have you ever watched this guy play? Really talented athlete with good size also!

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Randall. I think he is going to be a stud. Right now, being forced to be the #1 CB with very little help from Pass rush..... He looks average....
Change some things on defense, or at least get some guys healthy so we can play to the plan. I bet Randall looks much better IMO.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Randall. I think he is going to be a stud. Right now, being forced to be the #1 CB with very little help from Pass rush..... He looks average....
Change some things on defense, or at least get some guys healthy so we can play to the plan. I bet Randall looks much better IMO.
If he can stay healthy next season Im hopeful he plays much better

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It drives me crazy how far off our CBs play receivers! Guys will pick up 5-10yds consistently with that much space, especially Diggs and Thielen. Gunter is the perfect press corner. He lacks speed to just turn and run with WR. But in press he can use his strong suit physicality in press to jam WR and throw off timing. What's the deal?

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If he can stay healthy next season Im hopeful he plays much better
Honestly, I havnt seen him play that bad until the end of the bears game maybe...
I was yelling out loud to give Randall some help! It reminded me of the icebowl against the giants when Al Harris froze up against Burress in the 4th quarter and OT... Randall just looked hurt or something? I think it was the cold! Them skinny guys dont hold the heat like others do. Running around sleeveless in spandex and jersey in sub zero temps...... I dont think it was by chance that he fell apart in the 4th quarter after 3 hours in that nasty stuff...

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly, I havnt seen him play that bad until the end of the bears game maybe...
I was yelling out loud to give Randall some help! It reminded me of the icebowl against the giants when Al Harris froze up against Burress in the 4th quarter and OT... Randall just looked hurt or something? I think it was the cold! Them skinny guys dont hold the heat like others do. Running around sleeveless in spandex and jersey in sub zero temps...... I dont think it was by chance that he fell apart in the 4th quarter after 3 hours in that nasty stuff...
He has struggled a few games this year. He has been beat deep multiple times getting caught looking at QB and WR run right by him. Also seems like he's caught out of position in zone fairly often, also some poor tackling! But I still don't think we should panic on him yet. Let him get healthy with healthy starters around him and make a real decision on him this time next year.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall has his issues.... but we should all remember how the secondary was performing while he and Rollins were out.

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I definitely think HCD is the better of the two by a wide margin. Now Is Randall better than Rollins or Gunter? Yes, but that's not saying much. Look at the roster. You have a secondary full off zone coverage caliber players. Hell at this point Hyde is probably their best man to man corner with Shields out and even that's not saying much.
Lol hell no hyde is horrible he can barely cover a tight end. I honestly think Rollins is our best cover corner besides shields. I really want the packers to sign or draft a natural shut down man 2 man corner next year. Someone that can come in and give you production right away.

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think the cold is an excuse. Randall is soft and he lacks quickness. MM is constantly harping that the good players make a big improve in year two so I hope that Randall's poor play is a reflection of playing with injuries. If he isn't playing hurt then I would have to conclude he can't play CB and should be moved to a backup safety.

D

Deleted member 6794

Fair enough. I'd be little worried if people always agreed with me. Probably worried moreso for them.:confused:

Well, with Clinton-Dix making the Pro Bowl it seems a lot of people don´t agree with you on that. ;)

Randall will be fine in time i'm hoping. Worse case scenario I could see him being used as a hybrid free safety and putting Dix closer to the box. Depending on how things work out probably gonna have to use another high draft pick on a corner again with the Shields situation.

The Packers using Randall as a free safety would most likely result in either Burnett or Clinton-Dix not being on the field. For that to happen he would have to perform on a better level than HHCD. Currently I don´t see that happening.

I hope the team will address the need for a #1 cornerback via free agency.

Look at the roster. You have a secondary full off zone coverage caliber players.

I don´t agree with that as the secondary struggles mightily as soon as Capers changes to a zone coverage.

You probably have already forgotten about the Vikings and Lions game early this season.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, with Clinton-Dix making the Pro Bowl it seems a lot of people don´t agree with you on that. ;)

The Packers using Randall as a free safety would most likely result in either Burnett or Clinton-Dix not being on the field. For that to happen he would have to perform on a better level than HHCD. Currently I don´t see that happening.

I hope the team will address the need for a #1 cornerback via free agency.

I don´t agree with that as the secondary struggles mightily as soon as Capers changes to a zone coverage.

True. But when they play man it's the same thing. I hate when he goes to zone but with little pass rush??? You can play zone and give it more of a man look. These guys typically start off 8 yds off the wr. As a qb that's easy to spot pre snap. I'd have it to where they give a man look and bail out at the last second into a zone. Capers defense doesn't do a good job disguising coverages. I can be at home watching the game and already tell what coverage there in before the other team probably figures it out...and more than half the time. I can also tell where the blitz is coming from as well...when they do blitz.

The most creative thing Capers has ever come up with while he's been in Green Bay was that Physcho package some years back because they were terrible against the run. He was inessentially had 5 lbs on the field at the same time. Now with the struggle defending the pass I'd create a pkg where you have 6 dbs on the field. He already likes to play a ton of Nickle.

I'd go with 3 safeties with HCD, Burnett, and Brice. I'd remove the 4 the lb.

My allingment would be:

1.HCD is always on the TE side or strong side.

2.Brice would slide to the weak side

3. Burnett would play a LB/S rover spot where he's always in the middle of the field. His job is to simply just read and react. But his first responsibility is occupying open spaces in the middle of the field.

So you essentially have six dbs on the field by taking off a lb..but you don't sacrifice being able to stop the run because your extra DB is a SS and not a CB. This gives you more speed and athleticism on the field..along with having a guy occupy the middle of the field...who's accustomed to making plays on the ball, and coming up in run support as well.

I just came up with this in 10 minutes!! You don't have to be a genius to work in the NFL!! You just need to be creative and have the ability to adjust to stop the bleeding!!

D

Deleted member 6794

Burnett would play a LB/S rover spot where he's always in the middle of the field. His job is to simply just read and react. But his first responsibility is occupying open spaces in the middle of the field.

So you essentially have six dbs on the field by taking off a lb..but you don't sacrifice being able to stop the run because your extra DB is a SS and not a CB. This gives you more speed and athleticism on the field..along with having a guy occupy the middle of the field...who's accustomed to making plays on the ball, and coming up in run support as well.

While Burnett is an intriguing hybrid linebacker/safety good rushing offenses would take advantage of the Packers taking a linebacker off the field.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is always this over-reaction to things. Week 1 he was being praised as gods gift to the Packers at corner. He gets a significant groin injury and misses some time, and the flood gates open. I am not sure I have ever seen a secondary as bad as the Packers without Rollins and Randall. It was depressing.

My view is Randall might not be a number 1. But I am not closing the book on a guy who was forced back to stop the bleeding and save a year for the Packers. There is no doubt in my mind without Randall and Rollins we don't win 4 straight. The Packers were historically bad without him and Rollins. Allowing 30+ in all games he missed except 1

Just to give a little stat... The Packers are 6-1 with Randall in allowing 20.85 ppg. (Note he only played 17 of 64 snaps against Dallas and still obviously injured).

Without him they are 2-5. Allowing 27.57 ppg.

Now of course he isn't the sole reason we lost those game, nor is he the sole reason we won while he was in (AR has been on fire, turnover ratio is waaay up just to name a few.) But I still believe, even if injured the Packers are better with him in than out.

Latest posts