Randall benched.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He obviously wasn't injured..because he told reporters to "ask the coaches" when he was asked about it. MM also hinted it was more of a performance and
"Schematic" issue. I'm sure they aren't ready to give up in the guy because of where he was drafted...but this goes back to what I've always said about him. A guy who was drafted to high ...and to play a position I didn't think he'd excel at. Look Randall is purely a zone corner and nothing more. He's not real physical at the point of attack, and has a hard time with the better WRs. He's opportunistic yes, but those are more so traits of a FS. I've said before he'd make a better safety than corner because he's not having to turn and run with guys...but he's probably just below average when it comes to tackling so you can't move him there either. With him? I see another guy playing out his contract in GB and moving on elesewhere afterwards. Unless he improves drastically over the next season but being benched in a close game ain't a good sign for a guy they had so much confidence in they didn't keep imo their best man to man corner in Casey Hayward. Who just happens to have7 picks...oh and btw he's thriving on the outside. Thought I'd mention that since most of you former defensive back coaches swear he was to slow to be a boundary corner smh.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that the coaches are doing what they need to with Randall. Benching him sends the message that he needs to play better, or he will get less and less time. I'm not going to make decisions on him until I see his play next season. My opinion of him is dimming but he's not done. He's got a little over a full season worth of starts (17) so it's not time to stick a fork in him, but certainly a time to express concern.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For a player on our defense to get benched,he had to be playing BAD. I can't remember Brad Jones ever being benched.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has the talent, I think he also has an attitude that needs molding and coaching.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He has the talent, I think he also has an attitude that needs molding and coaching.

He just seems to nonchalant to me. giving up a completion isn't the end of the world..but like show some emotion!! You just got beat bro.

gonzozab

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall was another one of Teddy's patented first round reaches. And wasn't Rollins the basketball player? Onec again, if Teddy wants to treat free agency like the plague you'd better be great at drafting and not just good, and I'm not sure Teddy has even been that.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall was another one of Teddy's patented first round reaches. And wasn't Rollins the basketball player? Onec again, if Teddy wants to treat free agency like the plague you'd better be great at drafting and not just good, and I'm not sure Teddy has even been that.

Agreed. Randall was so bad yesterday it overshadowed how bad Rollins was too. I was upset at Capers for playing so much zone but geeze...he can't call man schemes either with these two.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
He obviously wasn't injured..because he told reporters to "ask the coaches" when he was asked about it. MM also hinted it was more of a performance and
"Schematic" issue. I'm sure they aren't ready to give up in the guy because of where he was drafted...but this goes back to what I've always said about him. A guy who was drafted to high ...and to play a position I didn't think he'd excel at. Look Randall is purely a zone corner and nothing more. He's not real physical at the point of attack, and has a hard time with the better WRs. He's opportunistic yes, but those are more so traits of a FS. I've said before he'd make a better safety than corner because he's not having to turn and run with guys...but he's probably just below average when it comes to tackling so you can't move him there either. With him? I see another guy playing out his contract in GB and moving on elesewhere afterwards. Unless he improves drastically over the next season but being benched in a close game ain't a good sign for a guy they had so much confidence in they didn't keep imo their best man to man corner in Casey Hayward. Who just happens to have7 picks...oh and btw he's thriving on the outside. Thought I'd mention that since most of you former defensive back coaches swear he was to slow to be a boundary corner smh.
I've always thought Randall is your FS type of guy just like Sharper and Hyde were. I do think he has the tools to be a decent #2 or slot corner though. I think Dix is still the big reach though at pick 20 in the draft.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've always thought Randall is your FS type of guy just like Sharper and Hyde were. I do think he has the tools to be a decent #2 or slot corner though. I think Dix is still the big reach though at pick 20 in the draft.

Heck at least Dix had an impact on the game tho. I've always said HCD can be an all pro type player if he stays consistent in his play. Still waiting...Randall on the other hand? You don't draft a corner in the first round just to be a decent #2. At some point you have to be able to trust him against the other teams #1 or to at least be able to leave him on an island at some points.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Randall was just terrible in all aspects. Especially trying to tackle a big receiver one on one after a throw at or behind the line of scrimmage. And still he was playing at least 10 yards off. I love HaHa. He is very good at tackling and when he gets around the line of scrimmage he has good instincts.

ls1bob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read somewhere Big Mike said they were going to cover film with Randall and point out some "details" that needed to be addressed

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just last season, Randall looked like an excellent pick.

Players, especially young guys, go through tough rough patches. Adams is a great example before rebounding this year.

Too early to call him a reach, move him to another position, or give up on him.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought he was playing well up until the mini icebowl down in Chitown... Maybe he cant play in the cold. The skinny, speed/finesse guys seem to suffer more in the bitter cold, I noticed...

I wonder if he has ever seen cold like that before? Most of us can say we have... But how many of us go out in spandex, and jerseys on? And for an Hr and a half at a time. And perform at a pro level... I mean, maybe he just fell flat.

D

Deleted member 6794

There's no doubt Randall has performed extremely poor for most of this season but it's too early to give up on him. I agree with some posters that it might be better to move him to free safety though.

Agreed. Randall was so bad yesterday it overshadowed how bad Rollins was too. I was upset at Capers for playing so much zone but geeze...he can't call man schemes either with these two.

The Packers mostly played man coverage over the first three quarters sliding help over to double team Jeffrey and it worked for the most part. I have no idea why Capers felt the need to change the scheme in the fourth.

Clinton-Dix is an above average safety that has stabilized a position that was a complete mess after Collins was lost. It's incomprehensible someone would consider him a huge reach.

D

Deleted member 6794

I've had my doubts about both Randall and Rollins since they were drafted.
Neither one has done anything to diminish those doubts.

Overall Rollins has performed on a higher level than Randall but both played better during their rookie seasons. The Packers need to add a #1 cornerback next season and might think about moving Randall to free safety.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
There's no doubt Randall has performed extremely poor for most of this season but it's too early to give up on him. I agree with some posters that it might be better to move him to free safety though.

The Packers mostly played man coverage over the first three quarters sliding help over to double team Jeffrey and it worked for the most part. I have no idea why Capers felt the need to change the scheme in the fourth.

Clinton-Dix is an above average safety that has stabilized a position that was a complete mess after Collins was lost. It's incomprehensible someone would consider him a huge reach.
I expect more impact and game changer ability from pick 20. Probably not a realistic expectation though in hindsight. In most years, there really isn't much difference in picks 15-40. They are pretty much the same guy. Sometimes, a guy drops below 15 that probably shouldn't have but the really uber gifted guys usually go very early. I think Dix is just a piece of the puzzle. He's not a guy that OC's worry about imo. I just don't think he has great instincts and tools for a 20th pick. He seems to me to be the kind of guy you can get at pick 60.

D

Deleted member 6794

I expect more impact and game changer ability from pick 20. Probably not a realistic expectation though in hindsight. In most years, there really isn't much difference in picks 15-40. They are pretty much the same guy. Sometimes, a guy drops below 15 that probably shouldn't have but the really uber gifted guys usually go very early. I think Dix is just a piece of the puzzle. He's not a guy that OC's worry about imo. I just don't think he has great instincts and tools for a 20th pick. He seems to me to be the kind of guy you can get at pick 60.

It seems we have to agree to disagree on Clinton-Dix.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overall Rollins has performed on a higher level than Randall but both played better during their rookie seasons. The Packers need to add a #1 cornerback next season and might think about moving Randall to free safety.

I've always been an advocate of moving him to FS...but one thing that stood out even more than his inability to cover ppl all of a sudden is his inability to tackle. If he doesn't whiff on the tackle he usually gets drug for an additional 3 yds. Before he takes the guy down...and those are WRs!!! I cant imagine be him consistently banging with rbs. He would need to add at 6-8 lbs and hit the weight room. He's about the same build as Brice...but Brice as we've seen will come lay the lumber. He's probably faster than Randall too.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just last season, Randall looked like an excellent pick.

Players, especially young guys, go through tough rough patches. Adams is a great example before rebounding this year.

Too early to call him a reach, move him to another position, or give up on him.

Hasn't shields been benched multiple times... One memorable night against Julio where he gave up what seemed like 1,000 yards. Yet I still wish he was out there right now.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I would agree with you. After watching Collins for years, HaHa is just a guy... A lucky one lately who is 5 yards behind the receiver and has balls fly into his hands. It's not like he's making great plays on the ball to get ints. Just waits for overthrows and makes the catch (sometimes).

I've always been an advocate of moving him to FS...but one thing that stood out even more than his inability to cover ppl all of a sudden is his inability to tackle. If he doesn't whiff on the tackle he usually gets drug for an additional 3 yds. Before he takes the guy down...and those are WRs!!! I cant imagine be him consistently banging with rbs. He would need to add at 6-8 lbs and hit the weight room. He's about the same build as Brice...but Brice as we've seen will come lay the lumber. He's probably faster than Randall too.

From his scouting report here http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/damarious-randall?id=2552389

WEAKNESSES
Small for safety position. Has box characteristics but lacking box size. Instincts as a free safety are average. Could be forced to play cornerback. Needs technique work in coverage. Must learn line-of-scrimmage skills and work on coordinating feet and hips. Allows wideouts to eat up cushion. Desire to attack leads to false steps against play-action. Fails to play with proper depth at times. Gets a little loose with technique as a tackler at times, causing him to miss."

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would agree with you. After watching Collins for years, HaHa is just a guy... A lucky one lately who is 5 yards behind the receiver and has balls fly into his hands. It's not like he's making great plays on the ball to get ints. Just waits for overthrows and makes the catch (sometimes).

From his scouting report here http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/damarious-randall?id=2552389

WEAKNESSES
Small for safety position. Has box characteristics but lacking box size. Instincts as a free safety are average. Could be forced to play cornerback. Needs technique work in coverage. Must learn line-of-scrimmage skills and work on coordinating feet and hips. Allows wideouts to eat up cushion. Desire to attack leads to false steps against play-action. Fails to play with proper depth at times. Gets a little loose with technique as a tackler at times, causing him to miss."

Whoever wrote this scouting report knew exactly what he was talking about. I'd say the exact same thing if someone asked me what my take on him was coming out of ASU....and today. Randall was a 2nd rd player TT reached for. He could've drafted him in the same spot he drafted Rollins, and drafted Rollins in the 4th. I just don't understand what they saw in these guys that made them reach smh.

D

Deleted member 6794

It´s unrealistic to expect Clinton-Dix to perform on a level with Collins as the latter was most likely headed to Canton. He´s an above average safety who has filled a huge hole on the roster after the Packers struggled to find a decent player at the position for years.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collins is a player you don't just replace. Be great if it happened, but i think people are asking a little much of the football Gods to grant us 2 HOF QB's in a row AND replace a safety like Collins on defense. There are very few guys with his speed and range back there, that could cover and come up and absolutely lay the wood on someone. He was a special player that was shut down as he was hitting his prime. Dix will never be Collins, can't even expect him to be. I think Dix is a solid player, he can make plays, he's not the guy that's going to light it on fire though.

We need another CB that can play close to Shields, and he'll be better back there too.

Members online

Latest posts