Randall benched.

GBkrzygrl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Overall Rollins has performed on a higher level than Randall but both played better during their rookie seasons. The Packers need to add a #1 cornerback next season and might think about moving Randall to free safety.
I wonder how much of them being out with injuries has affected their progress. Randall was out for a significant period and if memory services Rollins was out for a game or two.

I have no opinion at this point. However I am glad that the coaches did something about it and didn't just leave him in there.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Desmond king would be my pick. I think he's got the size and speed to impact whatever team gets him. I'd compare him to Nick Collins as far as measurebles coming out of college.
I too like King. Seems to be very instinctive player. Would love to see the Packers get him.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When slot corners start get paid what outside corners do I will agree with this statement

Just do some research. Elite corners use to play in the slot all the time because WRs in the slot are typically quicker shifter WRs and have more room to maneuver...which is why teams would typically move their best cover guy to the slot. Especially if you had really good slot WR. Charles Woodson, Champ Bailey and great corners like such did this all the time. FACTS . Teams dont draft corners to just be slot corners man. It's typically the other way around...in hopes that they have abilities to play in the slot if need be.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just do some research. Elite corners use to play in the slot all the time because WRs in the slot are typically quicker shifter WRs and have more room to maneuver...which is why teams would typically move their best cover guy to the slot. Especially if you had really good slot WR. Charles Woodson, Champ Bailey and great corners like such did this all the time. FACTS . Teams dont draft corners to just be slot corners man. It's typically the other way around...in hopes that they have abilities to play in the slot if need be.

Ok, so you name two... That rarely did it, and only at the tail end of their careers when they didn't have the speed to cover the outside. Woodson played almost exclusively outside for his first 10 year. How many snaps has Sherman, Revis, Peterson, Norman, Talib, Harris played in the slot over the last 5 years compared to outside. How many snaps did Deon play in the slot vs outside? Perhaps the single most talented CB in history. The answer is VERY few, probably 10-20% of their careers.

You can find the anomaly anywhere. Teams make adjustments to fill game plans. I think Patrick Peterson followed Diggs the last time they met because he was a deep threat from there. But it is such a small percentage of his total number of snaps.

There isn't any argument to be made that slot is harder than the outside. Just from pure talent perspective. OBJ, Evans, Dez, Jones, Jordy... The best of the best, spend their time outside more often than not. Their is no slot receiver in the league that is close to the talent of those 5.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What? How do you back that statement up.

In almost every case you have lesser athletes on the inside playing WR. People like AB, OBJ, and Jordy play snaps from the slot, but its usually so they can get off of bracket coverage, and get on a inferior defenders. Not because playing slot is harder.

I played corner that's how I can back it up. I was an outside corner..but I was fast and athletic enough to play inside as well. Many times I shadowed the other teams best wr and it sometimes to me to the slot. The slot wr has more room to work and trust me it's harder. What does inferior defenders have to do with slot being harder or not? You can have your best corner move into the slot and then what? So this argument isn't valid.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, so you name two... That rarely did it, and only at the tail end of their careers when they didn't have the speed to cover the outside. Woodson played almost exclusively outside for his first 10 year. How many snaps has Sherman, Revis, Peterson, Norman, Talib, Harris played in the slot over the last 5 years compared to outside. How many snaps did Deon play in the slot vs outside? Perhaps the single most talented CB in history. The answer is VERY few, probably 10-20% of their careers.

You can find the anomaly anywhere. Teams make adjustments to fill game plans. I think Patrick Peterson followed Diggs the last time they met because he was a deep threat from there. But it is such a small percentage of his total number of snaps.

There isn't any argument to be made that slot is harder than the outside. Just from pure talent perspective. OBJ, Evans, Dez, Jones, Jordy... The best of the best, spend their time outside more often than not. Their is no slot receiver in the league that is close to the talent of those 5.

You clearly made that up about Woodson because my dad is a huge Raiders fan and we watched EVERY Raiders game since Woodsons rookie year.. and I guarantee you he played in the slot way before his "tenth" yr in the league. Smh. Secondly again..tip tier corners will still find themselves in the slot if there are top WRs they are guarding in the slot. Period

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You clearly made that up about Woodson because my dad is a huge Raiders fan and we watched EVERY Raiders game since Woodsons rookie year.. and I guarantee you he played in the slot way before his "tenth" yr in the league. Smh. Secondly again..tip tier corners will still find themselves in the slot if there are top WRs they are guarding in the slot. Period

So did I, I watched every game of his Michigan career as well. And I had the honor to get to know him when he was in Green Bay. He is my favorite player of all-time. As you can probably tell from my avatar.

Go and show me any data to support the fact that he spent even 25% of his time in the slot. Not even a small chance of truth to that. Look at his highlights as a Raider, where was he lined up? It wasn't till late in his career, under Dom and being used more in blitz, that he was used more inside than out.

Yes, he played slot on a rare occasion. But it was highly rare, until late. And mostly because of his loss of vertical speed and his rare playmaking ability and tackling.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So did I, I watched every game of his Michigan career as well. And I had the honor to get to know him when he was in Green Bay. He is my favorite player of all-time. As you can probably tell from my avatar.

Go and show me any data to support the fact that he spent even 25% of his time in the slot. Not even a small chance of truth to that. Look at his highlights as a Raider, where was he lined up? It wasn't till late in his career, under Dom and being used more in blitz, that he was used more inside than out.

Yes, he played slot on a rare occasion. But it was highly rare, until late. And mostly because of his loss of vertical speed and his rare playmaking ability and tackling.

Mines too. Next time my mother talks to Charles Mother . Ill have her ask Miss. Georgia to ask Charles what was harder? Playing in the slot? Or on the outside, and I'll let you know what he said ok? Haha:tup:

XPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So it's Diggs again and considering what happened in previous match (vs vikings) and last match (vs Bears), will Randall see the field again this week?

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So it's Diggs again and considering what happened in previous match (vs vikings) and last match (vs Bears), will Randall see the field again this week?

Diggs has been banged up and unproductive lately. He is probably getting closer to being healthy though so maybe he will bounce back. If you look at his numbers since the gb game he had a clue good games but the vast majority were very pedestrian

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Diggs has been banged up and unproductive lately. He is probably getting closer to being healthy though so maybe he will bounce back. If you look at his numbers since the gb game he had a clue good games but the vast majority were very pedestrian

But for some reason facing our defense has been the recipe for getting out of any kinda slump hahaha.

Struggling QB? Vs Packers 300 yds 2 tds

Struggling WR? Vs Packers 8 receptions 130 yds and a TD

Struggling RB ? Vs Packers 125 rushing yds and two TDS

Lol tell me I'm lying!!

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mines too. Next time my mother talks to Charles Mother . Ill have her ask Miss. Georgia to ask Charles what was harder? Playing in the slot? Or on the outside, and I'll let you know what he said ok? Haha:tup:

Lmao, sounds good!

Just take this in for a second... If it was harder defending the slot, and easier to get open consistently. Why does the worlds best talent play the outside? ODB is perfectly suited to play slot, great route running, amazing speed, amazing quickness, out of this world hands. Yet, in 2015 "The 23.7 percent of snaps Beckham spent in the slot against the Panthers last season is right on line with the 21.6 percent he spent there overall in 2015"

Another quote from there

"Norman is going to shadow Beckham from left to right, but when the receiver lines up in the slot, Norman will remain outside. "

So does this mean Norman isn't good enough to play slot? Scrublet. Norman should bow to Dashaun Phillips the true corner of that team. The more likely answer is, they aren't nearly as worried about him when he moves inside as his ypc and td rate is much lower from there. So they would rather Norman take the next biggest threat.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-what-to-watch-for-when-josh-norman-odell-beckham-jr-face-off/

The real reason is all of the congestion in the middle of the field means less yards per catch, less chance for big plays, less chance to use athletic ability to make a play. Resulting in less overall production.

There is more space on the outside, more places to use speed and gifted athletic ability. More one on one coverage. I really don't see the argument

Last edited:

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that the coaches are doing what they need to with Randall. Benching him sends the message that he needs to play better, or he will get less and less time. I'm not going to make decisions on him until I see his play next season. My opinion of him is dimming but he's not done. He's got a little over a full season worth of starts (17) so it's not time to stick a fork in him, but certainly a time to express concern.

Exactly.

The problem with Randall has generally been that he bites too often and gambles too much. He is what he is, a second year project player with a high physical upside. Let's wait till his third season before deciding he's no good. Think Davante Adams.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I will take a look when I get home... But seriously I only need 1 stat.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/...ng/sort/receivingYards/year/2016/seasontype/2

Of the top 10 receivers in the league only 1 plays slot. And he is the one with the lowest ypc and least touchdowns of anyone on the list.

And from what I see at a glance there are as many TE (2) in the top 20 in receiving as their is slot receivers.. Fitz and Landry. 3 if you count Sanders. Compared to 15 outside receivers.

Just not even close. Not saying slot isn't important. Cobb made a huge difference when he was on. But not as important as outside receivers.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I will take a look when I get home... But seriously I only need 1 stat.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/...ng/sort/receivingYards/year/2016/seasontype/2

Of the top 10 receivers in the league only 1 plays slot. And he is the one with the lowest ypc and least touchdowns of anyone on the list.

And from what I see at a glance there are as many TE (2) in the top 20 in receiving as their is slot receivers.. Fitz and Landry. 3 if you count Sanders. Compared to 15 outside receivers.

Just not even close. Not saying slot isn't important. Cobb made a huge difference when he was on. But not as important as outside receivers.

Mmm hmmm:whistling:

D

Deleted member 6794

This is a passing down formation. Which is why I used the name Thomas instead of one of those two. Thomas usually comes in on passing downs...but instead of using him let Burnett play sort of a Rover and bring in Brice to replace Burnett. :tup: Get it now?

I would be fine with this formation on obvious passing downs.

You know what is funny, everyone hated on Hayward all of last year... Yelling to get rid of him. Now he is easily recognized as a top 10 cover corner in the league. Should have paid him the money and we wouldn't be in the position we are.

Horrible call on that one.

Exactly what I was going to say!! He was our best man to man corner and I'll stand by those statements. He wasn't afraid to tackle either. He wasn't a burner like Shields but at least he could break on the ball and get out his breaks!

Once again, both of you are using hindsight to question the decision to let Hayward walk away in free agency. I can't remember any poster suggesting to re-sign him last offseason as most fans were confident in the team's secondary moving on without him.

His play was bad, that is not what I am trying to say. But people too often want to get rid of people.

I haven't seen anyone suggesting to get rid of Randall. It seems to me that he needs to change his attitude as he performs on a decent level when focused but seems to struggle retaining it.

He didn't play great vs Seahawks either... I was at that game and a good throw was a touchdown on that play. Randall was literally covering no one until he made the break on a ball that hung too long. I chalk that up to luck, weather, and Wilson having a career bad day.

Randall made a terrific play on that interception. The Packers were in a Cover-3 on that play with Hyde being responsible for covering Baldwin over the middle of the field. While he wouldn't have been able to make that play with Wilson throwing a perfect pass he recognized Hyde messing up and bailed him out.

Anyone remember how good Sheilds was in his 2nd year? It takes time.

Whike Shields regressed a bit during his second year he performed on a higher level than Randall this season.

I expect Randall to start on Saturday.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts