Queens release another WR-Marcus Robinson

vikesrule

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess that he didn't fit into "Chiily's" version of WCO, he actually scored points. I realize that Marcus has has medical issues, but he was one of our best performers this year.

I assume that Childress is making changes in the "O" till we score "negative" points.
Childress has some serious 'splainin to do.

Chilly, your offense sucks. Your QB said he never talked to you. You are , in effect, the offensive coordinator...wouldn't it make sense to TALK to your QB....maybe listen to your veteran players once in a while?

And to cut Robinson on Christmas Eve and leave it to someone else to tell Robinson, is just cowardly. I am really disillusioned with Childress at this point
I could go on, but am too pissed off.

:soapbox:

MINNEAPOLIS - Receiver Marcus Robinson was finalizing Christmas plans near his Chicago-area home Sunday when the phone rang. On the line was Vikings personnel director Rick Spielman, calling to tell Robinson he'd been released.

Spielman offered no explanation for the highly unusual move, and Robinson said he never heard from coach Brad Childress. Robinson, who leads the team with four touchdown receptions, did not know why he was released, but said that "it would be hard to believe" that it is related to an interview published Saturday in the St. Paul Pioneer Press, in which he expressed concern about the Vikings' 6-9 season.

"I don't have the slightest idea what's going on," Robinson said. "Sure, I have voiced my opinion. I'm frustrated with how this season went. I don't think that's too bad of a thing to say. I don't know how (Childress) took that or anything else that has happened this season. I don't know if his feelings were hurt or he felt slighted or what have you."

A team spokesman confirmed the decision, but had no other comment. Childress is not scheduled to speak to Twin Cities media until Wednesday.

In an interview Sunday afternoon, Robinson said he and some other players have "a total lack of communication" with Childress, and said that offensive coaches rarely heed suggestions or other input from players. That sentiment corroborates a recent statement from quarterback Brad Johnson, who lost his starting job a day after saying he and Childress "never talk."

Cornerback Antoine Winfield and safety Darren Sharper also have criticized the team's direction, but as Robinson said, "They weren't cut, so I don't know why this would be different."

Robinson acknowledged that new coaches go through trial periods during which trust must be earned on both sides. But Robinson said Childress erred by not heeding suggestions that would have helped his offense merge with the team's personnel.

"We really didn't have a relationship whatsoever where we just talked back and forth," Robinson said. "That's not typical. Normally, head coaches make decisions and do certain things. But at least they talk to you. I mean, look at today. I'm a 10-year veteran being released a week before the season is over. I wasn't told a reason. I just got a phone call from (Spielman)."

Robinson caught a combined 13 touchdowns for the Vikings in 2004 and 2005, but Childress has never seemed comfortable with him. Robinson caught a touchdown pass in the Sept. 11 season opener at Washington but essentially was a healthy scratch for the Sept. 24 game against Chicago and again for the Dec. 17 game against the N.Y. Jets.

Childress has said he held Robinson out of the Jets game because of a hip flexor injury, but that was never listed on the injury report. "I was healthy enough to play against the Jets, but he made that decision," Robinson said Sunday.

Childress' relationship with Robinson was of particular significance, given the Vikings' struggles to score this season; they have 22 offensive touchdowns overall but have gone six games without one. They were 0-5 in the games Robinson missed this season and 6-4 when he played.

Robinson considers those figures an example of Childress allowing principle to overshadow practicality. He said he respected the coach's desire to install his brand of offense but said Childress could have avoided some of this season's problems.

"He's building a foundation of his type of offense, and that's fine," Robinson said. "But all offenses cater around their players. You can run your offense, but you want to cater to the talents of the players you have."

Indeed, Robinson was used sparingly in the red zone situations he has excelled at in recent years; his 6-3 frame often allows him to reach over the outstretched arms of opponents. Robinson said he made suggestions on that issue, but said: "It was just input. Nothing happened."

"That's what's frustrating about the communication," he said. "As a veteran, you can see certain things on the field. You're not a coach and you don't call plays, but I can come to the sideline and voice my opinion on what I see out there and hope you respond to it. With (former offensive coordinator Scott) Linehan, you'd come to the sideline and say certain things, and they would take advantage of that.

"I guarantee you, if you look at Peyton Manning, if you look at those guys Linehan has with the Rams, those players are giving a lot of input."

According to Robinson, the only time Childress asked for sideline input was Nov. 26, against Arizona, a conversation that Robinson said resulted in a 17-yard touchdown reception.

It was Robinson's last touchdown for the Vikings.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow, if I was a vikings fan, I would be pissed.

I didnt even factor in that he did it on christmas eve. What a jerk. As if cutting him on christmas eve is the move that would push them into the playoffs. greedy *** mr. burns.

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The veterans we tried to bring in early in the season, Boeritger, Rod Gardner, and Koren Robinson all let us down, thus we're relying on rookies who don't know the system, who have barely played in the nfl, no its not their fault, but why add to the confusion...and ruvell martin/carlyle holliday show some signs of promise, give them a shot, rather than an older run of the mill reciever still living off of his 2-3 good seasons he had at least 4 years ago...

packerfan1245

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't He supposedly the Vikings best WR? I heard someone say that on monday night. Why not take all the vikings WR. More for us.

vikefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wasn't He supposedly the Vikings best WR? I heard someone say that on monday night. Why not take all the vikings WR. More for us.
He led the Vike receivers with 4 TDs.

But Childress keeps Williamson who drops everything in sight.

Go figure........

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
cyoung said:
Carlyle Holiday isn't working well at #4 WR so maybe we should give him a shot

He isn't? I thought he was doing pretty good considering he was jus thrown in the mix.

When they signed him, he didn't even get the playbook. He was thrown directly onto the field and had to be told what his route was each snap.

After a full week of practice as the 4th WR he got 3 catchs for 36 yards. I thought that was good for a 4th WR. :shrug:

Dont get me wrong he isn't doing bad, and for sure I'm rooting for him. The Pack need another playmaker on the Wide Receiver side, Driver gets most of the load and IMO the spark from Jennings lowers a little, as the spark from Ruvell Martin rises a little. From Holiday we've seen 3 games, 4 receptions for 39 yards (5.8 Yards a catch) that doesn't look bad. Then look at the only 13 yards a game, I think Marcus Robinson could maybe get a little more than 13. Although I can understand, its just 3 games and given more time he may be great.

Today's game.
C. Holliday 5 catchs for 87 yards with a long of 35. I'll take that for a fourth WR.

Reaction score
Holliday was impressive, he seems to have a great head on his shoulders.... contributing like this, that is to say knowing enough of the playbook to be a part of so many different plays like he was today, is saying something.

Members online