Protect the QB, Draft an OT

Packers80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my mind, it is clear as to which position we should draft first this year. Offensive Tackle. Not only is Tauscher and Clifton pretty much done, but more importantly Rodgers had 2 concussions last year and we all know concussions end QB's careers quite quickly in the NFL. WE CANNOT LET RODGERS GET KNOCKED OUT. We cannot afford it.. he is our franchise quarterback, and if healthy, it will stay that way for years to come. But lets keep the guy protected. Sure.. everyone wants to draft an OLB or DL but thats what our 2nd and 3rd picks are for. If we want a shot at more Superbowls, we need to start with making sure the line is safe enough for Rodgers.

:chisux:

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Rodgers knowing when to slide and when to dive will cut down on concussions as well. But yes a Tackle and Guard would be wonderful.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In our FPL Live mock draft last night, the guy selecting for the Packers took Ingram.... I came unglued. RB is not our biggest need. Neither is OLB or DE. OL is our biggest need, for exactly the reasons you listed.

We still have lots of depth at DE, even without Jenkins or Jolly. We also have three OLB's capable of developing into the next CM3. Neither of those are major necessities.

Ben Ijalana was still on the board when I picked for Buffalo in the second. I would take him at 32 no problem and use our second round pick for OLB or DE.

But hey, whatever TT does, I'll support. The guy's earned it.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
according to someone within the coaching staff the only way they are picking an OLB is if its one of the 2 they want. Which seems reasonable. If they feel they have another clay sitting on the draft board by all means take him.

I agree about the RB, no need. 3 RBs? no thanks. Not in this offense. I know its fair to assume Grant is gone after this season, so lets deal with that next year. The learning curve on RBs isnt huge anyways.

mikesternqrc

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that some type of offensive lineman is needed; but that depends totally on getting the best athlete available. But offensive lineman is our number one need, and later in the draft, we need kick and punt returners.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It really depends if FO feels Ijalana is worth reaching at #32 because I highly highly doubt an OT falls to us. So many teams need to fix their OL this year. I hope they do feel he is worth it though or I'm wrong and randomly a good OT does fall. Can't wait for the draft.

Mel-MinAlum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This year's OT/OG class seems to be pretty deep with potential solid starters beyond the first round, and pretty shallow on potential All-Pros. If TT stands pat at 32 and sticks to his BPA philosophy, I think there will be players at other positions higher on his board than what is available for O-lineman, and I won't be surprised if the pick comes from fairly close to Green Bay like a TE from South Bend or a RB from Champaign, although I would be tickled green and gold if we ended up with a OT from Madison.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am all about drafting a blindside tackle. I have no issues with that. I think that the first 10-12 picks of the first round will dictate which way TT goes. I have already stated that I feel OL and DL are the two biggest needs for the Packers, so I won't explain that again.

I think that if there isn't a run on the big name quarterbacks early in the first round, there will be a run on the DL or the OL. I think that if there is a run on one of those positions, there is a good chance that there will be a gem of the other that falls to GB. I would be happy with either. Yet I don't know TT and the Packers' draft board, so they might be high one someone else, or not high on someone I am. I have faith in TT so I would be ok with just about anything he did. The only think I wouldn't like to see in the first round is if GB drafts a TE or a QB. I know a replacement for Matt Flynn is on the list of needs but I don't see it worthy of a first round pick. As far as TE is concerned, that is a position that I feel the Packers have enough talent and depth at, and a first round pick there would just end up costing money and a roster spot.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I would love for a blindside protector to be selected, I would absolutely hate if the pick was a reach.
If there are 2 players of very close value, and one is an OT, I'll be thrilled.

If not, I urge TT not to select him, and I'm pretty sure he won't.

OP
OP
Packers80

Packers80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I just did a mock draft and I matched up players and teams based off of needs, and by the time it gets to the 32nd pick.. all the Offensive Linemen are gone. The best available OL would have been Derek Sherrod and hes projected to go in the 40s. The person who I had falling to the Packers was Brooks Reed. I would really like to see them get an OL but they won't reaching that far back to grab an OL, so they will more than likely get the BPA.

Attachments

• draftpicks2011-1.jpg
    draftpicks2011-1.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 324
  • draftpicks2011-2.jpg
    draftpicks2011-2.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 329

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meh I am not worried about it. TT has done very well in the past, and I see no reason why he wouldn't continue that trend.

As for Brooks Reed, I think I am the only one on the forum who thinks that picking him at 32 would be reaching. LoL

Mel-MinAlum

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Meh I am not worried about it. TT has done very well in the past, and I see no reason why he wouldn't continue that trend.

As for Brooks Reed, I think I am the only one on the forum who thinks that picking him at 32 would be reaching. LoL

Nope, I'm there with ya on that one. Same with Dontay Moch at 64....sorry I'm getting off topic.

Members online

Latest posts