Prospects You Love

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of course not but it would be enough to move up in the first round to get a coveted player if need be. After seeing what Ryan Shazier did for Pittsburgh defense it might be worth it for the Packers to move up and secure Roquan Smith.
Thing is... Roquan Smith ain't no Shazier, not worth the trade up. IMO. Yes, we are still looking for that Shaizer type player for our ILB position, however I don't see us trading up to get it.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think right now, my top favorites at #14 in order are:

1) Tremaine Edmunds. We heard Pettine talk about how he loves versatile players because they create depth at multiple positions. Edmunds is the definition of versatile, is young, athletic, and skilled. He's my draft crush so far.
2) Denzel Ward: CB Ohio State: I think he's gonna be really, really good. Sticky player, good tackler, has good speed. Sign me up.
3) Josh Jackson: CB Iowa: Has amazing ball skills, but might be a touch slow. Not a good tackler. Probably the best pure cover corner in the draft. Wouldn't be unhappy with him at all.
4) Harold Landry: Edge Boston College: Had a rough SR year due to an ankle injury, but had a great JR year. Probably the best edge after Chubb, but it really isn't a great edge draft. I think there's edge depth in this draft, but no real stars. Next year however, there is some great, great edge players. So I like Landry, but talent wise, he's not my top here even though the positional need is high.

This is, of course, players I think will be available there. So I'm not gonna bother listing Roquan Smith or Quenton Nelson.

So then 2nd round, of course, this depends what we do in the 1st. For example, I like Leigton Vander Esch as an ILB, but if we draft Edmunds at #14, I'm not going to take Vander Esch. I might take him if draft a CB and haven't addressed ILB in FA. If we have addressed ILB in FA, then obviously you try to go BPA, but my positional needs would lean more towards CB/EDGE/WR. So guys like James Washington or DJ Moore are players I really like. Shorter guys that I think can still play on the outside and win. I would like to trade up into the late 2nd/early 3rd and try to pick up an OT like Alex Cappa/Tyrell Crosby.

Overall, this isn't a very strong draft. There is quite a bit of depth available, but as far as star power, meh.

My top favorites at #14 thus far... :

1) Vita Vea NT: 6-5. Extremely athletic at 330-340. Tapes vs UCLA (Josh Rosen) Stanford (Bryce Love) and Oregon high pace off shows it all. Takes on multiple blocks, drives blocker into runner, decent pass rush. He can step in and play day one. Pro-Comparison: A more athletic Haloti Ngata. or may just be a Paul Soliai.

2) Tremaine Edmunds LB: At 6-5 250lbs and can run like the wind. Sideline to sideline. Quick burst, little hesitation. Ready to go day one? Not sure bout that. He will have to learn some under Pettine but he will be a force to be reckoned with once hes in. scouts compared him to Brian Urlacher and Anthony Barr. If he plays anything like Urlacher... boy you best believe you gotta pick him! Or may just be a Benardrick McKinney.

3) Josh Jackson CB: 6-1 190. Ball-hawk. fluid hips. Feels like Packers Iowa picks are always hits. Pro-comparison: Marcus Peters. Or maybe a Dee Milliner.

4) Harold Landry: Edge 6-3 250. Great motor. Fast off the edge. Needs to work on counter inside moves. Pro-comparison: Bruce Irvin. Or maybe a Aaron Curry.

2018 draft class was weak edge/pass rushers. Not really impressed by Qbs. TE position lacking in athleticism.
I'm still searching for that late round sleeper or small school.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My top favorites at #14 thus far... :

1) Vita Vea NT: 6-5. Extremely athletic at 330-340. Tapes vs UCLA (Josh Rosen) Stanford (Bryce Love) and Oregon high pace off shows it all. Takes on multiple blocks, drives blocker into runner, decent pass rush. He can step in and play day one. Pro-Comparison: A more athletic Haloti Ngata. or may just be a Paul Soliai.

2) Tremaine Edmunds LB: At 6-5 250lbs and can run like the wind. Sideline to sideline. Quick burst, little hesitation. Ready to go day one? Not sure bout that. He will have to learn some under Pettine but he will be a force to be reckoned with once hes in. scouts compared him to Brian Urlacher and Anthony Barr. If he plays anything like Urlacher... boy you best believe you gotta pick him! Or may just be a Benardrick McKinney.

3) Josh Jackson CB: 6-1 190. Ball-hawk. fluid hips. Feels like Packers Iowa picks are always hits. Pro-comparison: Marcus Peters. Or maybe a Dee Milliner.

4) Harold Landry: Edge 6-3 250. Great motor. Fast off the edge. Needs to work on counter inside moves. Pro-comparison: Bruce Irvin. Or maybe a Aaron Curry.

2018 draft class was weak edge/pass rushers. Not really impressed by Qbs. TE position lacking in athleticism.
I'm still searching for that late round sleeper or small school.

What do you think of Denzel Ward and Jaire Alexander? I love their tape, but Alexander does have some injury history.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
What do you think of Denzel Ward and Jaire Alexander? I love their tape, but Alexander does have some injury history.

Pass on Alexander....he isn't a Badger ;)

He might be a good pick if he slides way back into the 3rd due to his 2 injuries last year, but I wouldn't use the either of the first picks on him.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pass on Alexander....he isn't a Badger ;)

He might be a good pick if he slides way back into the 3rd due to his 2 injuries last year, but I wouldn't use the either of the first picks on him.

Oh I'm gonna disagree.

I think he's closer to a 1st round pick then a 3rd rounder talent wise. Just depends on his medical imo. If his medical clear, I think he's a valid shot at #14.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Oh I'm gonna disagree.

I think he's closer to a 1st round pick then a 3rd rounder talent wise. Just depends on his medical imo. If his medical clear, I think he's a valid shot at #14.

This one I agree with you on. He reminds me of Tre White coming out last year but faster. He can also return punts. If his medical is good he is a 1st rounder all the way. Figures to run 4.3 at combine. I'd have no problem with the Packers taking him 14 if he checks out.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Per PFF, Alexander only allowed 5 catches on 148 coverage snaps in 2017 and led all draft eligible corners with a 17.7 passer rating allowed.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ward is a smaller CB compared to Josh Jackson. Scouts have one or the other graded higher. But I like them both. Jaire Alexander..? I think he falls into second round or even third because of injury.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Just to comment on my "pass" on Alexander with one of the Packers first 2 picks. One, I really don't want to see the Packers go CB once again with a high pick. If the current guys are deemed to not be quality starters, then go after a CB in Free Agency. I don't think another 1st or 2nd rounder is going to instantly make our defense much better. Second, I admittedly did not read a lot about the guy, but the few scouting reports I did read, just didn't make him sound like someone I would use a #14 pick on and questionable (for me) to even use the 45th pick on him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Now I am going to put my "Badger Glasses on" in reverse. I want to know what all the hype about former Badger CB Nick Nelson is about? I don't know a lot about him, due to the fact that he transferred from Hawaii and only played for the Badgers one year. I saw him mocked to go as high as the second round! I know he ranked pretty high on passes defended, but I think he looked pretty shaky in the Orange Bowl against Miami, as well as against Ohio State, so I would be careful about over valuing this guy based on how he fared against the better teams.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Just to comment on my "pass" on Alexander with one of the Packers first 2 picks. One, I really don't want to see the Packers go CB once again with a high pick. If the current guys are deemed to not be quality starters, then go after a CB in Free Agency. I don't think another 1st or 2nd rounder is going to instantly make our defense much better. Second, I admittedly did not read a lot about the guy, but the few scouting reports I did read, just didn't make him sound like someone I would use a #14 pick on and questionable (for me) to even use the 45th pick on him.

I would think the Packers can do much better at #14, but he'd be a steal at #45 allowing that his injuries aren't chronic concerns.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I would think the Packers can do much better at #14, but he'd be a steal at #45 allowing that his injuries aren't chronic concerns.

Maybe and like I said, I don't know much other than the few scouting reports that I read about the guy, but I definitely agree that the Packers will most likely have a better selection available at #14. That chronic injury thing maybe has me a bit nervous. Didn't we just go through that with both King and Biegel? In the back of my mind, there was another recent top pick that was drafted "damaged" as well.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Maybe and like I said, I don't know much other than the few scouting reports that I read about the guy, but I definitely agree that the Packers will most likely have a better selection available at #14. That chronic injury thing maybe has me a bit nervous. Didn't we just go through that with both King and Biegel? In the back of my mind, there was another recent top pick that was drafted "damaged" as well.

Justin Harrell?

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I'm with you in that when it comes to DB's, I really just go by what I read about their play and see in their production and testing. I only have time to watch a handful of guys as it is, and I'm not going to waste it trying to get a read on defensive backs using broadcast footage. So big disclaimer: I am not watching any corners or safeties.

I really know very little about Alexander's injury history, but I do see that in the two seasons before 2017 he missed one game. So it may be that the injury concern is a little overblown, as often happens. There's a recency bias when it comes to injuries. Had he struggled to stay on the field in 2015, but finished strong in the following two seasons, it would not be brought up. But because it happened in his final season, it's noted as a concern.

On Ward and Jackson, the impression that I get from reports is that Jackson, while not pigeon-holed this way, is the better fit for a system that uses a lot of zone while Ward is more capable as a press corner and of mirroring in man coverage. So the tie breaker between the two might come down to how Pettine plans on deploying his corners, and I would guess it would favor Ward.

I do hope that the Gute is not married to the idea of 6'+ cornerbacks, because that's a stupid threshold that's demonstrably unimportant.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I seriously don't understand the hype behind Josh Rosen. Questionable character, decent arm. got the height and weight. thats about it.

Mason Rudolph MIGHT be that 3-4 sleeper if he's paired up with a RB like Dak or in the right system.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I seriously don't understand the hype behind Josh Rosen. Questionable character, decent arm. got the height and weight. thats about it.

Mason Rudolph MIGHT be that 3-4 sleeper if he's paired up with a RB like Dak or in the right system.

The hype is built around his textbook footwork, progressions, and delivery. His play in the pocket looks like teaching tape.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Shhhhhhhh.....we want the hype to continue on all these QB's so that the teams desperate for a Franchise QB overreach to get them and leave the Packers with some really good options at #14 and #45!

Like Dantes said about DB's, I haven't bothered to look at QB's, since I am in the camp of not wanting the Packers to draft one.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kyle Lauletta lit it up in the senior bowl but it didnt seem to help his draft stock too much or very little. many still have him graded 6 to FA. *shrugs*

Darnold is the most ready of the group. Josh Allen has accuracy problems (many think its mechanics but we'll see..) but has physique and mentality many coaches like.
Baker Mayfield has the drive and leadership teammates want to play with. Can help with morale. big time player hopefully personality doesnt consume him like Manziel.

OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I don't understand the character part of this.

He's outspoken about his beliefs which some might not agree with (I don't, fwiw). He's gotten into trouble, what, one or two times? I just don't see the character issues with him.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

He's outspoken about his beliefs which some might not agree with (I don't, fwiw). He's gotten into trouble, what, one or two times? I just don't see the character issues with him.
Just things written by scouts and Rick Neuheisel (ex UCLA coach and quarterback ). Not saying Rosen isn't talented, hes better than Josh Allen. But I don't see him communicating well with others. Behind close doors I'm sure scouts talk to the teammates to get a feel.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Trent starts talking bout Rosen at 8:00

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Neuheisel starts 1:40.

Just like what you said, some might like him some might not.

jetfixer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Even though I wouldn't want him at 14th, Anthony Miller is a stud, think of Steve Smith. If he dropped to us at a second round I'd love that. I'm thinking Marcus Davenport, or a top tier CB at 14.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts