Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
G

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Fred Warner of BYU is getting some love from people I like on twitter. He's a 6'4 235 LB who can play inside with good coverage skills. Seems like he would be a good fit next to Martinez.

Of note on Warner, even though he attended BYU where the average age of student athlete is roughly 27, he's still two years younger than Calvin Ridley despite being a true SR whereas Ridley is a true JR.

I'm mainly just messing around in regards to Ridley. He is easily, imo, WR1 in this draft. It's not a star powered WR field though, tbh. I do think there is some question as to how much more developed is he, physically, mentally, etc than other WR's in the field due to his age. Take a guy like DJ Moore, he's still 21. I think a year and half separation between him and Ridley. That doesn't seem like a lot, but when it comes to future contracts, size, maturity, it definitely can matter.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Likely scenario.

I would go Jackson, Vea would be my 2nd choice. My 3rd may be Payne. Not sure how that would all shake out. We have to give Clark more snaps off. Would he move to DE and Vea NT? Maybe mix it up.

Landry is run liability. Wouldn't go there. Missed Darwin James in there. He would be there as well with Josh Jackson. More flexible and interesting options as a player. James would be a player Pettine would get a lot of use out of, but we are stacked at safety already.

I think Vea and Clark could be interchangeable at nose in the base set, but that's a secondary concern. The Packers are in so much even front that the important thing would be about rotating Daniels, Clark, Vea, Lowry, and whoever else through the interior in nickel. Get the top three guys playing between 50 and 65% of the snaps each week and keep them fresh/explosive.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Packers decision on their first and second rounders in the draft should hinge on what they do or don't do between now and the draft. The defense needs to get better and while Pettine may influence that in a positive way, I hope he can find a pass rush with the current group + a FA and/or draft pick. I am hoping the Packers don't walk into the draft again needing help at both CB and OLB. As high as some are on CB Josh Jackson, I would prefer not seeing another 1st or 2nd rounder needed to be used on the secondary. Especially considering in the last 4 drafts, we have spent 5 out of 8 of our 1st and 2nd rounders on the secondary. If we need help in the secondary, go find it in Free Agency.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
The more I look at the WR talent available in the draft, I would prefer seeing the Packers wait until the 2nd or 3rd round before selecting one. There should be some talented defensive players available at 14 and that seems to be where we currently need the most help.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Derwin James. He'll immediately make an impact , and we've got questions at S with Burnett being an impending FA and Haha soon to follow. I see Josh Jones more as a Deion Jones type LB rather than someone you want as your last line of defense. Both of them being on the field along with King would give us the dynamic athleticism we've been missing.

Reaction score
So if this is how it played out, who would you be inclined to take? The biggest names left are:

-V. Vea, DT, UW
-D. James, S, FSU
-M. Davenport, ED, UTSA
-J. Jackson, CB, IOWA
-H. Landry, ED, BC

As far as Corner, I think we need a veteran presence in this young backfield. House is a #4 CB and was injected like our #2, he's a patch to slow down a sinking lifeboat until it gets to shore (albeit with a foot of water inside).
I also don't think we've seen the last of Montravious Adams. While he might not be a prolific DT, he should take a leap forward with some more playing time and could be a nice substitution to keep guys fresh on long drives.
We just invested at Safety with Josh and I wouldn't be surprised if we resign Morgan. I remember "ask Vic" talking about him a few years back and saying how he's always been an underrated player. Now he finally has got the experience to be another leader in our backfield. His versatility is what intrigues me and we lost some of that in Hyde already. Morgan can play Safety, Slot, OLB, he's averaged 98 Tackles per Year since his first full season in 2011. We can't afford to lose that type of production unless he gets entirely greedy contract wise.

I'm going Conference USA and RoadRunner Marcus Davenport. One thing I think he brings is a high motor and higher upside as far as being an impact player early and being able to get even better over time. Don't get me wrong, some of these other choices are solid prospects, but I think Davenport gives us another nice compliment to CM3 and Perry. Plus it seems like one of those 2 are always hurt anyway and we all know Clay is winding down so to speak.

Last edited:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mason Rudolph QB OSU - Saw him play a bunch this year, fits our system best out of all QBs available. We need to look at Rodgers' replacement NOW.

Josh Rosen - QB UCLA - Love the kid's moxie, what he did to A&M in the 4th quarter...we sorely need that type of infusion into our offense if Rodgers is out/leaves/retires.

Josh Allen QB Wyoming - Big kid, sturdy, big arm, more of a project, I'm not sure he could be a backup in year 1 but he looks like a bigger version of Elway to me.

Justin Lawler DL/Edge SMU - Saw this kid in the East/West Shrine game speed rusher, would be a beast opposite Clay, draw more attention away from Clay, and make his life easier. Or if Clay won't take a cut he could possibly be slid into Clay's spot and make an impact.

Daurice Fountain WR Northern Iowa - Can probably be a 3 this year for Green Bay and can grow into a #2 behind Adams, and maybe even a #1. Field stretcher.

I know I went QB heavy, but I see a definite need that we need to address now, and probably needed to address better in 2015 or 2016, and any one of those 3 I'd love to have wearing Green and Gold. The other guys are just guys who impressed me during senior games.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I wanted to talk about prospects we love, who are attainable. So top 5 picks, obviously, not in the game. You all understand I think. So first rounders, late rounders, whomever.

Harold Landry - edge Boston College. Good pass rusher, fast, has struggled a little against some good OT's, not great against the run.

Marcus Davenport - edge UTSA. Former WR, freak athlete. Developmental, but I could see him going in the top 15 after the combine. Keep eye on him.

Quenton Nelson - OG Notre Dame. The best guard in years to come out. He's incredible. Day one Pro Bowl level imo. I probably shouldn't have him here, but maybe he drops due to positional value.

DJ Moore - WR Maryland. Think a bigger, more durable Randall Cobb. He had over 52% of his teams receiving yards. I love, love, love him. Should be able to get him in round 2.

Anthony Miller - WR Memphis. All he does is produce. Good RZ target. Might only be a slot guy.

Alex Cappa - OL Humboldt State - 4 time conference lineman of the year. 6'7 305. He's a stud who will go too late bc of playing poor competition.

Michael Jackson - CB Miami. I don't know if he'll enter, but if he does, he's good. Only started one year, but he's big, physical, and has good enough speed.

Tremane Edmonds - LB VaTech. He can play inside and outside well. Fast, rangy, good size.

DeShon Elliot - S Texas. I love his game. Rangy with size, we could use him to replace Burnett.

I'll have more later. Just a quick brain dump here.

I watched Nelson alot at Notre Dame, impressive kid , but unless he can play RT I'm not sure we can use him.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I watched Nelson alot at Notre Dame, impressive kid , but unless he can play RT I'm not sure we can use him.
Doesn't matter if he is a need. When you can draft a player who has HOF talent you do it. We do need a G, we currently have only 1 returning starter. We should never look at just next season in making a pick. The player will be with us for at least 5 years.

My list on desired players looks something like this:

1. Barkley
2. Chubb
3. Minkah
4. Edmunds
5. Nelson

OG is an unsung hero position that helps everyone else play a little better. Little more room for RBs and a little cleaner passing pocket.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Mason Rudolph QB OSU - Saw him play a bunch this year, fits our system best out of all QBs available. We need to look at Rodgers' replacement NOW.

Josh Rosen - QB UCLA - Love the kid's moxie, what he did to A&M in the 4th quarter...we sorely need that type of infusion into our offense if Rodgers is out/leaves/retires.

Josh Allen QB Wyoming - Big kid, sturdy, big arm, more of a project, I'm not sure he could be a backup in year 1 but he looks like a bigger version of Elway to me.

Please explain to me, using a timeline of events, how it makes sense for the Packers to use their #1 pick on a QB this year. Please don't use "because they did with Rodgers and Favre" argument, Rodgers isn't acting like Favre did towards the end of his time in Green Bay. With your timeline, use any scenarios you want and comment on how likely each scenario is to happen.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Please explain to me, using a timeline of events, how it makes sense for the Packers to use their #1 pick on a QB this year. Please don't use "because they did with Rodgers and Favre" argument, Rodgers isn't acting like Favre did towards the end of his time in Green Bay. With your timeline, use any scenarios you want and comment on how likely each scenario is to happen.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I think starting in the 3rd round I would like for GB to have QB's on their radar. Unless, that is, they decide to sign a veteran backup. If Falk or Rudolph was there in rd. 3, I'd sign off on either. I do believe that the insurance against Rodgers missing a few games would be well worth a pick in the top 100, albeit not at #14. If they had been able to get just mediocre QB play out of the backup during Rodgers' injured stretch, they might be in the Super Bowl right now for all we know.

I have to say, though, that Lamar Jackson is so tantalizing. I know in my head that it's the wrong pick, but if they drafted him I would be so excited to see him play. I'm imagining what a creative offensive mind could do with Rodgers in the shotgun and Lamar Jackson on his hip.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Did you SEE Brett Hundley play in 2017 either on tv, during a recap of the Packers game or live? Do you REALIZE Aaron is 34? Do you GET that he has now either broken a bone or been IRed 3 times in his career. Now add the concussions. Also due to the talent at the top of the draft at QB we'd be stupid not to draft one.

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Doesn't matter if he is a need. When you can draft a player who has HOF talent you do it. We do need a G, we currently have only 1 returning starter. We should never look at just next season in making a pick. The player will be with us for at least 5 years.

My list on desired players looks something like this:

1. Barkley
2. Chubb
3. Minkah
4. Edmunds
5. Nelson

OG is an unsung hero position that helps everyone else play a little better. Little more room for RBs and a little cleaner passing pocket.

My bad on this I thought we had Taylor and Evans locked up through 2019. If this is the case and we don't have both locked up, then yes Nelson would almost be a requirement.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Did you SEE Brett Hundley play in 2017 either on tv, during a recap of the Packers game or live? Do you REALIZE Aaron is 34? Do you GET that he has now either broken a bone or been IRed 3 times in his career. Now add the concussions. Also due to the talent at the top of the draft at QB we'd be stupid not to draft one.

Yes, Yes and Yes. I did "SEE, REALIZE and GET"

So your feeling is that due to Aaron's declining Physical state, the Packers need his replacement "NOW"? I guess you and I have a fundamentally different opinion on how long AR intends and probably will be able to play for.

In regards to Hundley. How is drafting a rookie QB going to improve the #2 position next year? Even if it could, is that worth a first round investment?

BTW, how many picks are you willing to trade away to draft Rosen or Allen in this must do scenario of yours?

I would still love to see a timeline of how this all plays out, but I am also wondering if you have thought about that?

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Either Rosen or Allen will slide, so it's believable one of those two will be there. If not Mason Rudolph who ran a system much like ours at OSU is there. Was Aaron Rodgers in 2005 IYO worth us drafting him (At the time) over a need?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Either Rosen or Allen will slide, so it's believable one of those two will be there. If not Mason Rudolph who ran a system much like ours at OSU is there. Was Aaron Rodgers in 2005 IYO worth us drafting him (At the time) over a need?

Even if Rosen or Allen was available at #14, that pick just makes no sense, not just because Rodgers isn't even close to retiring, but the team has more pressing needs.

Rodgers made a lot more sense in 2005, Favre was waffling on what he was going to do and the Packer organization grew tired of it and guessing, were very unsure of his future status.

Are you working on that timeline as to what you are going to do with a first round QB pick in 2018? Let me get you started. First, where is he on the depth chart for years 1-4? Then, in 2021 are you going to pick up his 5th year option? In 2022, what is his value and will you resign him with Rodgers possibly playing a few more years?

Meanwhile, you have just given up the opportunity to draft a guy that may have an immediate impact in year 1 or 2, on a team that needs impact players.

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's one scenario:
  1. CLE: S. Darnold, QB, USC
  2. NYG: J. Rosen, QB, UCLA
  3. IND: S. Barkley, RB, PSU
  4. CLE: M. Fitzpatrick, DB, UA
  5. DEN: Q. Nelson, G, ND
  6. NYJ: B. Mayfield, QB, OK
  7. TB: B. Chubb, DE, NCSU
  8. CHI: C. Ridley, WR, UA
  9. SF: T. Edmunds, LB, VTU
  10. OAK: R. Smith, LB, UGA
  11. MIA: J. Allen, QB, WYO
  12. CIN: C. Williams, OT, UT
  13. WAS: D. Ward, CB, OSU
So if this is how it played out, who would you be inclined to take? The biggest names left are:

-V. Vea, DT, UW
-D. James, S, FSU
-M. Davenport, ED, UTSA
-J. Jackson, CB, IOWA
-H. Landry, ED, BC

I want to see more of Landry and Davenport, as well as their testing numbers. But honestly if these were the choices, given what I know now, I would be tempted to just take Vea and add to the strength on the DL. If he becomes what most project, the DL would genuinely be an elite unit. I love the idea of sending waves of fresh, powerful DL at opposing offenses. Pettine's background suggests that he would put that surplus DL talent to great use.

I can't see any way you don't take Davenport here, unless he absolutely bombs the combine and interviews. You can teach him a few more pass rush moves, but you can't teach that size and motor.

Reaction score
Even if Rosen or Allen was available at #14, that pick just makes no sense, not just because Rodgers isn't even close to retiring, but the team has more pressing needs.
Furtherm0re, it would be more likely that a team behind us trades up to our #14 spot to get one of those top QB's if one slips to us (and that's unlikely)
One interesting note, now that the Redskins secured Alex, I don't see any team with a pressing need for QB past the Jets. The only teams that even remotely entertain a QB before us, but outside of pick #6, would be the Bengals. Chicago has too much invested in Trubiski. It's reasonable that if one of the top QB's mentioned makes it past pick #6.. he's still around at pick #14

There is an outside chance that the Chargers would attempt to trade down with Green Bay in order to bypass the Cardinals if they see a QB candidate fall. It's normally costly to do that in the first round, but also very beneficial for the team moving back a few spots. That would put us in a position to only move 2 spots (15th-16th) essentially for whatever player(s) we would add. We should have 2 third round picks, it wouldn't be so bad to have 2 second rounders also etc..

Last edited:

RicFlairoftheNFL

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Rudolph is there and we don't take him at 14, he ends up in Buffalo I wanna say around 22.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that QB is a valid choice early. The top 5 or 6 QBs this year are solid, and early round 2 should be a decent spot to grab whoever is left of the lot if they pass muster with our scouting dept.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like what I see in Vita Vea. Could be an annual pro-bowler in the mold of Haloti Ngata.

PackFan2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't love Vita Vea, but I think he would be an interesting pick as a 3-4 end. Although he's 330, he's not a NT. Doesn't have the anchor. He does do a pretty good job of penetrating and hitting gaps though. I think we have bigger needs though.

But Vea can fill in and make impact right away. Not sure we can say the for other prospects that fall to us at 14 (except Queton Nelson but I doubt he falls to 14).

Status
Not open for further replies.