Projecting our Comp picks

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Comp picks are considered to be the part of the round at which they occur at the end of. It makes sense if you say the value of a 3rd round comp pick is closer to an early 4th, but a 3rd round comp pick isn't a 4th round pick any more than a 7th round comp pick is an '8th round" pick.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be interesting to read the source behind that comment. Looking at our recent past when ILB has been a need, here is what I found in a quick search (I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong!):

--> In 2015, there were no ILBs selected in the first round. Three were then selected before we got to our second round selection. So unless we found a trading partner, we were shut out of an ILB pick in the first two rounds.

--> In 2014, there were two good ILBs taken in the first round, Ryan Shazier and CJ Mosley. Either would have been a good selection for TT but both were selected before we took Clinton-Dix at safety, another big need.

--> In 2013 the only ILB taken in the first round was Alec Ogletree, a few spots after the Packers pick of Datone Jones. I would say it's a relief that we didn't waste a pick on Ogletree.

It makes me wonder if the 'ILB position not worth of high round picks' comment is more a reporter's reflection on our lack of taking one in the high rounds since it's been a need, or it was indeed a quote from a reliable source in the organization.

Hard to tell, El Guapo. Although they were different sites/people, the point they put across was the same, just nothing specific where I could say, "Ah, that must have come from...".

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Comp picks are considered to be the part of the round at which they occur at the end of. It makes sense if you say the value of a 3rd round comp pick is closer to an early 4th, but a 3rd round comp pick isn't a 4th round pick any more than a 7th round comp pick is an '8th round" pick.

He's already says nobody, including the NFL, is going to sell him off his notion. Probably time to just let it die.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teds rookie turnover is too great imo. You can't take 20 percent of a great roster and replace them 28th rookies every single year, and expect to peak as high as possible. Great strategy to stay good for ever. But you need experience on your side...

Like right now. We did the hard part training and suffering through the growing pains of guys like Neal, perry, Hayward, even raji. And right when they get the heads straight. Learn how to contribute more. We save money by letting them go and replacing them with rookies. Sometimes you gotta let a guy go. But we do it all the time.

Consolidate draft picks. Get a few impact rookies. And retain as much as we can of who we have. And go get a free agent ilb for crying out loud! A good one. A Te too. One way or another we need to full those two spots with some tallent

The Packers rarely let go of really good players following their rookie deal. They resign their own guys all the time.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers rarely let go of really good players following their rookie deal. They resign their own guys all the time.

They do an excellent job of keeping their best young core players, and especially in signing them to good contracts.
The problem is getting impactful players in to complement them.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Comp picks are certainly handy, but wouldn't it have been interesting to have had the players that generated them work out?

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's the nature of free agency. I think that we would have liked to keep Tramon and Davon, but not at the crazy prices they got on the open market. It's great that the NFL decides to give us something for our loss, even if it's a lower round pick. Even though you can't trade your comp picks, you can still trade your other pick in the round so comps are still good for bundling and moving up to potentially address needs.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Comp picks are certainly handy, but wouldn't it have been interesting to have had the players that generated them work out?
you don't think Tramon worked out? UDFA that came in and was very good for us for a number of years and when it production started to wane, another team signed him for too much money. Good for them, we get a draft pick, good for us. I certainly didn't want him back at the price he got, and you wouldn't have either. It would just be another player you'd be complaining about Thompson spending too much money on for too little production. and House was not on the field enough for us often enough to get the contract from us that he got elsewhere. I would have liked to have kept him, but it didn't happen. Maybe it works out for them. But both guys appear to have been replaced very nicely.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lots of words, trying to find the answer to my question. Perhaps it's "no, I'm not interested"?

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Picking up a UFA and then getting a fairly long career out of him before picking up a 4th round draft pick out of him is pretty slick. Basically recouping your pick from a 5th rounder who couldn't stay healthy isn't bad either. I'll take the two 4th rounders and be happy with them, good place to build depth at OL/DL/CB/ILB.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Picking up a UFA and then getting a fairly long career out of him before picking up a 4th round draft pick out of him is pretty slick. Basically recouping your pick from a 5th rounder who couldn't stay healthy isn't bad either. I'll take the two 4th rounders and be happy with them, good place to build depth at OL/DL/CB/ILB.
This year’s comp picks are among the worst to make the point about the players lost (which led to the comps) working out. Tramon was signed after the Texans signed him as an UDFA and then released him. The Packers got 8 seasons and 99 regular season starts out of him. In the 2010 post season he had 3 INTs including a pick 6. So they acquired him for next to nothing, got very good play out him for most of 8 seasons and they’ll get a compensation pick for him. House was injury prone but showed flashes during his four year Packers career. They got him for a 4th round comp pick, #131. We’ll see what kind of compensation they get for him.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
What do Davon House, Josh Sitton, Mike Daniels, Jeron McMillian, Josh Boyd, Richard Rodgers, Jared Abbrederis, Christian Ringo all have in common?

All compensatory picks by TT, so he has done pretty well with them, IMO. Of course I didn't track back who TT didn't sign to get them and how that former Packer fared, but all in all seems like some value in what we got.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Do you know what OT Tony Moll, DE Dave Tollefson, TE Clark Harris, OT Marshall Newhouse, QB BJ Coleman, OT Andrew Datko, and TE Kennard Backman have in common? They're compensatory picks by Thompson left off of Pokerbrat2000's list. ;)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Do you know what OT Tony Moll, DE Dave Tollefson, TE Clark Harris, OT Marshall Newhouse, QB BJ Coleman, OT Andrew Datko, and TE Kennard Backman have in common? They're compensatory picks by Thompson left off of Pokerbrat2000's list. ;)

LOL....intentionally :laugh: Didn't want to water down the success too much. They are kind of like the crazy uncle we don't talk about in the other room.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tollefson was ok too, just edged out and taken by another team and played some productive time for them. giants? I think? I still want to see what Backman does for us this year. He has some potential

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Packers might see something in Backman, enough not to risk putting him on the PS anyway. Forgot about Tollefson, he won 2 SB's while being a Giant. Didn't do a whole lot but didn't he have some kind of crazy sack dance?

Crockett&Tubbs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teddy's first pick will be a guy none of us project, predict. And of course there are many who won't even predict, guess, etc. Every year, I vow to ignore ALL pre-draft stuff, as so to not get my hopes up over a player. Last year, I had man-crushes on Denzel Perryman and Eric Kendricks, as well as Paul Dawson after reading something about him saying they projected him best of all........ and we had our pick of them all at ILB! And took Damarious Randall, who most mocks had as a late 2nd, early 3rd round safety. Player appears good. But I wanted that ILB hole filled with a guy who we could plug & play in there for 8 years...... and we only added Jake Ryan.

Maybe we can find somebody worth TT trade up and select another ILB Terrell Manning again.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL....intentionally :laugh: Didn't want to water down the success too much. They are kind of like the crazy uncle we don't talk about in the other room.

Its ok, feel good moment and TJV ruined it. Because he is the crazy uncle whom you hope stays in the other room.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This year’s comp picks are among the worst to make the point about the players lost (which led to the comps) working out. Tramon was signed after the Texans signed him as an UDFA and then released him. The Packers got 8 seasons and 99 regular season starts out of him. In the 2010 post season he had 3 INTs including a pick 6. So they acquired him for next to nothing, got very good play out him for most of 8 seasons and they’ll get a compensation pick for him. House was injury prone but showed flashes during his four year Packers career. They got him for a 4th round comp pick, #131. We’ll see what kind of compensation they get for him.

Darnit I thought House was a fifth rounder, either we broke even and Williams was rummage sale robbery. House might have been worth keeping if we could have extended him, he did play pretty well for the Jags last season.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Its ok, feel good moment and TJV ruined it. Because he is the crazy uncle whom you hope stays in the other room.
And here I was feeling good Pokerbrat2000 didn't call me the crazy uncle. :(

I agree House was worth keeping, just not at the price the Jags paid him. And now CB is one of the deepest spots on the team.