Projecting our Comp picks

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
You can still get some good talent in the 4th round.
Yes, the Packers have had 3 fourth round compensation picks in the last 5 drafts: Mike Daniels, S Jerron McMillian in 2012 and Davon House in 2011. If the Packers do receive two fourth rounders in this draft, House will have cost – and returned – a fourth round comp pick. BTW, TE Rodgers (3rd round), Abbrederis (5th), and Boyd (5th) were also comp picks over that time period.

The big change in this draft reported in November was compensation picks will be allowed to be traded. It was supposed to be confirmed/announced in December by the NFL. I didn’t find that confirmation but I’m all in favor of it: Why shouldn’t teams have the ability to trade ‘em?

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://overthecap.com/projecting-the-2016-compensatory-draft-picks/

Looks like we'll possibly be getting two 4th round picks for House and Williams. That website was spot on last year. So I'm happy with the projected results. But I think a lot here, including myself, expected two 4th's.

You can still get some good talent in the 4th round. Hopefully we have a good draft.

Let's hope they're right, two extra picks in the 4th round would be mighty welcome.

Interesting website - they project players like Suh and Revis returning third-round compensation, and someone like Davon House fourth-rounders. Odd to think the difference between House and Revis is one round in the NFL draft....:tdown:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we have two 4ths and TT falls for a TE or ILB that he fears may not get to them don't be surprised to see a package deal to jump up 4-9 spots.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if TT doesn't draft a TE or ILB at all. Dude is stubborn like that.

D

Deleted member 6794

Interesting website - they project players like Suh and Revis returning third-round compensation, and someone like Davon House fourth-rounders. Odd to think the difference between House and Revis is one round in the NFL draft....:tdown:

Well, a third-round pick is the highest possible compensation for losing a free agent.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to be technical... the earliest comp pick is #97 (96 this season), which makes it a 4th round pick , not 3rd.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if TT doesn't draft a TE or ILB at all. Dude is stubborn like that.

Well, with the 'Bama kid staying in school and Henry likely to be gone by our pick, there may not be a TE worthy of a 1st round pick. Read at a few sites last week that the Packers don't consider the ILB position worthy of high round picks.
I don't really bone up on the draft until about 2-3 weeks before it. So until then, I get the bulk of my info on the guys coming in from...you guys. Question for the board; in addition to providing info on players, have any of you looked into what other teams in the league might be looking at TE as a priority?

D

Deleted member 6794

Question for the board; in addition to providing info on players, have any of you looked into what other teams in the league might be looking at TE as a priority?

If I have to take a guess I would either pick the Falcons or the Jets to draft a TE in the first round.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just to be technical... the earliest comp pick is #97 (96 this season), which makes it a 4th round pick , not 3rd.

Talk about the ultimate in semantics causing disagreements. The picks you're talking about are referred to as the 33rd pick in the 3rd round, unless you're looking at a website I haven't found yet. Just to start with a site that's tough with which to argue, http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...ks-broncos-lead-2015-compensatory-draft-picks, note the Chiefs, Pats, and Bengals' tops picks.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not looking to cause anyone to have a hemmorage. 32 teams, 32 picks per round, 33rd pick would be...1st pick of the next round. But feel free to call it what you like, no biggie.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Not looking to cause anyone to have a hemmorage. 32 teams, 32 picks per round, 33rd pick would be...1st pick of the next round. But feel free to call it what you like, no biggie.

Perhaps some team lost a draft pick as a penalty for something?
You mean like New England which lost their first rounder this season for Deflategate?
I call it what the NFL does, added to the end of the third round, thus a third round pick. Same people that say the '29-'31 championships are on par with the '67 afl-nfl championship is equal to the superbowl championship.

Sky King

Reaction score
You mean like New England which lost their first rounder this season for Deflategate?
I call it what the NFL does, added to the end of the third round, thus a third round pick. Same people that say the '29-'31 championships are on par with the '67 afl-nfl championship is equal to the superbowl championship.
That's the one.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we have two 4ths and TT falls for a TE or ILB that he fears may not get to them don't be surprised to see a package deal to jump up 4-9 spots.

If comp picks are allowed to be traded, I have no doubt this is what TT could be playing at. Remember, they had no problem giving up a spot last draft to get Brett Hundley, so why not again to make sure they get Henry or Ragland?

D

Deleted member 6794

If comp picks are allowed to be traded, I have no doubt this is what TT could be playing at. Remember, they had no problem giving up a spot last draft to get Brett Hundley, so why not again to make sure they get Henry or Ragland?

Teams won´t be allowed to trade compensatory picks during this year´s draft, the proposal passed at the league meeting in December and will be effective beginning with the 2017 draft. In addition it would take at least a third-rounder to move up several spots within the first round.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teds rookie turnover is too great imo. You can't take 20 percent of a great roster and replace them 28th rookies every single year, and expect to peak as high as possible. Great strategy to stay good for ever. But you need experience on your side...

Like right now. We did the hard part training and suffering through the growing pains of guys like Neal, perry, Hayward, even raji. And right when they get the heads straight. Learn how to contribute more. We save money by letting them go and replacing them with rookies. Sometimes you gotta let a guy go. But we do it all the time.

Consolidate draft picks. Get a few impact rookies. And retain as much as we can of who we have. And go get a free agent ilb for crying out loud! A good one. A Te too. One way or another we need to full those two spots with some tallent

D

Deleted member 6794

Like right now. We did the hard part training and suffering through the growing pains of guys like Neal, perry, Hayward, even raji. And right when they get the heads straight. Learn how to contribute more. We save money by letting them go and replacing them with rookies. Sometimes you gotta let a guy go. But we do it all the time.

Thompson is one of the best in the league in re-signing the team´s own free agents, sometimes even overpaying for them or offering a contract to a player not worth of keeping around.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Now you've got me intrigued. I figured we are pretty much obligated to follow the NFL's terminology for anything. Leaving that aside, though, if there are (for instance) 3 compensatory picks immediately following the third round, and they count (as you say) as the first three of the fourth round, then how do we refer to what the NFL calls the 30-32 picks of the fourth round? Not having a hemorrhage yet, but since you went out of your way just to note that third round comp picks are really fourth rounders, I need an explanation that'll allow me to sleep nights. :)

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams won´t be allowed to trade compensatory picks during this year´s draft, the proposal passed at the league meeting in December and will be effective beginning with the 2017 draft. In addition it would take at least a third-rounder to move up several spots within the first round.

The dream is dead. :cry:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now you've got me intrigued. I figured we are pretty much obligated to follow the NFL's terminology for anything. Leaving that aside, though, if there are (for instance) 3 compensatory picks immediately following the third round, and they count (as you say) as the first three of the fourth round, then how do we refer to what the NFL calls the 30-32 picks of the fourth round? Not having a hemorrhage yet, but since you went out of your way just to note that third round comp picks are really fourth rounders, I need an explanation that'll allow me to sleep nights. :)

Just simple semantics. Barring something like the Pats forfeiting their pick, a round is made up of 32 picks by 32 teams. But if many here- and the NFL- choose to call comp picks in that round, I'm fine with it.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Just simple semantics. Barring something like the Pats forfeiting their pick, a round is made up of 32 picks by 32 teams. But if many here- and the NFL- choose to call comp picks in that round, I'm fine with it.
Another scenario. Packers play Vikings to an OT tie first game of the season. Rematch game starts in 2nd quarter? Each game (round) is a distinct entity of scheduled but varying length. 60 minutes (32 picks) are the minimum. Picks but not minutes can be forfeited.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Read at a few sites last week that the Packers don't consider the ILB position worthy of high round picks.
It would be interesting to read the source behind that comment. Looking at our recent past when ILB has been a need, here is what I found in a quick search (I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong!):

--> In 2015, there were no ILBs selected in the first round. Three were then selected before we got to our second round selection. So unless we found a trading partner, we were shut out of an ILB pick in the first two rounds.

--> In 2014, there were two good ILBs taken in the first round, Ryan Shazier and CJ Mosley. Either would have been a good selection for TT but both were selected before we took Clinton-Dix at safety, another big need.

--> In 2013 the only ILB taken in the first round was Alec Ogletree, a few spots after the Packers pick of Datone Jones. I would say it's a relief that we didn't waste a pick on Ogletree.

It makes me wonder if the 'ILB position not worth of high round picks' comment is more a reporter's reflection on our lack of taking one in the high rounds since it's been a need, or it was indeed a quote from a reliable source in the organization.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It does seem that ILB isn't a high draft pick unless a true stud shows up in the given year. The last 2 years outside of trading up TT hasn't really "missed" on one. However, me personally depending on cost I think it would have been worth moving up last year for one of the 3 picked ahead of us...maybe we tried, maybe we didn't.

But it is true that at our spot I wouldn't say TT has failed to get us a ILB...he has only failed in going and getting us one. Big difference.

Members online

Latest posts