Prioritizing Needs

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
While I totally agree with the EDGE rushers as a major need... The problem exists in this years draft that many of the top prospects aren't OLB's that would be used to replace CM3 and/or Perry. Outside of say Allen from Kentucky and maybe a couple others, the majority are basically DE's. This puts them into a position of using them in a 3-4 scheme that requires them to cover RB's and TE's at times. It is possible that some can make that jump, but we've seen Nick Perry succeed at times and fail at times due to the position change from college to the pros.

I'm actually responding to this thread because this draft class depth at all parts of the DL would allow us to actually make the switch from the 3-4 to the 4-3. Drafting these EDGE DE's would then fit in perfect while also helping out the ILB position that we've been having problems at for 4-5 years (At least). Re-Signing Wilkerson, signing an EDGE FA like Fowler or similar, and drafting one or two more EDGE DE's would make that a position of strength while taking a weakness at the ILB position and turning it into a strength. Blake Martinez is a good, solid ILB and the switch to 4-3 would only help him more.

Most NFL 3-4 OLB's played with their hand down in college.

They should only switch to a 4-3 if they fire Pettine and hire a DC who runs a 4-3 base.

elcid

Cheesehead
Reaction score
J Williams is imo nothing more than a reliable back up, and adding a dynamic bruiser à la Cook/Henry would be wonderful. I wouldn't even mind drafting one higher than a WR if the right prospect slips due to the devaluation of its position. When did ATL or NO become dangerous? When they had an explosive RB duo. What better way to relieve pressure of Rodgers if we are able to consistently obtain a new set of downs by just running the ball? Even though I like A Jones a lot, I'm not confident he can be a true bell cow with 40 carries a game. I'd like to see them take a prospect in either the 2nd or 3rd. In FA, Bell would be great but we'd be outbid by the Colts or Jets. Furthermore he is somewhat similar to what we have in Jones. Ingram or Barber maybe?

That would require our new HC having a different mindset than the previous one and actually run the ball. I don't disagree with you I'm just saying having a successful Kamara/Ingram type duo would most likely necessitate a departure from relying on AR so much. New Orleans was a perennial top 10 in passing attempt percentage per game until they got that duo and then they started to change. They are #29 now. I for one would love it but there still are lots of fans who think we should let AR throw 75-80% of the time.
I was gonna say man, we rarely seem to disagree on stuff ;) Glad to have kept it that way. While I understand that seeing Arod as the focal point of the offense is more entertaining, I cant help but imagine Aarod not being happy about a running game that can run the bal down the opponents troat

OP
OP
Dantés

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
More than becoming a run first team, I'd love to see them find a running back who catches the ball well and mix him with Jones. Offenses like New Orleans thrive on using backs in the passing game. Jones is just ok as a receiving right now. Williams is better, but he isn't a good enough athlete for it to matter.

T.J. Yeldon is a good pass catcher, but I think I'd rather just draft one.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
More than becoming a run first team, I'd love to see them find a running back who catches the ball well and mix him with Jones. Offenses like New Orleans thrive on using backs in the passing game. Jones is just ok as a receiving right now. Williams is better, but he isn't a good enough athlete for it to matter.

I'm down with that. I think Jones is more than adequate in the passing game. I just think they need to get him involved more. He was at 20 touches (17 carries 3 catches on 3 targets) today which I think is the minimum number he should be getting and I'd like to see at least 10 more. 4 or 5 more carries and at least that many more targets.

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones has been improved catching the ball lately but I'm still not confident in him in that role.

Speaking of Jones, I noticed they ran him on a couple of short yardage situations yesterday which I liked but what I didn't care for was him lining up looking more like JK Scott than a RB.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of Jones, I noticed they ran him on a couple of short yardage situations yesterday which I liked but what I didn't care for was him lining up looking more like JK Scott than a RB.
I liked a couple snaps with him and Williams at the same time :)

But he probably has to stand up to see over the linemen and know where everyone is starting from

sschind

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked a couple snaps with him and Williams at the same time :)

But he probably has to stand up to see over the linemen and know where everyone is starting from

Yes, that that was nice to see a lead blocker for a change.

I don't mind the standing up but does he have to be 10 yards behind the LOS. That may be the best for his style of running but with this line it seems someone on defense hits him before he gets half way there.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones has been improved catching the ball lately but I'm still not confident in him in that role.

Jones is a plus receiver out of the backfield on screens or check downs and also has the ability to motion out and line up in a traditional reciever spot. He just has not been given the opportunities in the passing game. In college he had 71 receptions for 646 yards and 7 tds. And he would have likely had far more as he only played in 2 games in 2015 but still had 9 catches for 106 yards and a td. If we see him get 5 to 10 targets a game in the passing game we'd all be happy. I'd give him 2-3 screens, 3-4 check downs with how much Rodgers is throwing the ball away, and 2-3 deeper routes wheel route etc getting him up the field against a lb.

D

Deleted member 6794

Jones is a plus receiver out of the backfield on screens or check downs and also has the ability to motion out and line up in a traditional reciever spot. He just has not been given the opportunities in the passing game. In college he had 71 receptions for 646 yards and 7 tds. And he would have likely had far more as he only played in 2 games in 2015 but still had 9 catches for 106 yards and a td. If we see him get 5 to 10 targets a game in the passing game we'd all be happy. I'd give him 2-3 screens, 3-4 check downs with how much Rodgers is throwing the ball away, and 2-3 deeper routes wheel route etc getting him up the field against a lb.

Jones hasn't looked comfortable catching the ball over his time with the Packers with some ugly drops. He might be able to improve in that area but doesn't strike me as an above average receiving back.

thequick12

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jones hasn't looked comfortable catching the ball over his time with the Packers with some ugly drops. He might be able to improve in that area but doesn't strike me as an above average receiving back.

Look at his first NFL receiving td that's not something you're gonna see most NFL rbs do. That's something you see Todd gurley do or leveon Bell or Alvin kamara maybe idk I haven't watched enough of him but I'd imagine he can do it

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score

This is something that very few have mentioned, but is very important moving forward. The better offenses in the NFL are featuring pass catching backs that have the capability of breaking down a defense. This is a dimension that the Packers have lacked.

I don't consider cornerback to be in need of an upgrade next offseason.
Feels good to be able to say that for once. ;)

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't consider cornerback to be in need of an upgrade next offseason.

I'm not sure I agree.

Jaire Alexander, obviously is very good. He's a starter.

Kevin King is good when he's healthy, which isn't often. He's a starter when healthy.

Josh Jackson quite obviously isn't ready. I don't think you can depend on him as a starter if you want to be good.

Tramon Williams is fine, but he's old. Can't depend on him to start.

Bashaud Breeland? Tony Brown? I like them, but they're not starter quality.

Basically we have one guy that we can 100% depend on to be a quality, available starter. I don't think that's good enough.

I'm not saying to invest a 1st round pick, but I think it's a position that should be addressed either in the draft or FA. In today's NFL, I would consider it a position of need for us.

D

Deleted member 6794

Look at his first NFL receiving td that's not something you're gonna see most NFL rbs do. That's something you see Todd gurley do or leveon Bell or Alvin kamara maybe idk I haven't watched enough of him but I'd imagine he can do it

Kamara is most likely the best receiving back, ranking 15th in total receptions in the league over the past two seasons. Jones might be able to improve in that area but he's currently not even close to Kamara in that regard.

Bashaud Breeland? Tony Brown? I like them, but they're not starter quality.

williams (old) and king (unreliable physically) have to be addressed. alexander is the only legit starter they have. breeland is serviceable. everyone else is a backup.

Breeland is a starting caliber cornerback when healthy in my opinion. In addition it's way too early to give up on Jackson developing into a decent player as well.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kamara is most likely the best receiving back, ranking 15th in total receptions in the league over the past two seasons. Jones might be able to improve in that area but he's currently not even close to Kamara in that regard.

Breeland is a starting caliber cornerback when healthy in my opinion. In addition it's way too early to give up on Jackson developing into a decent player as well.

Tough to say on Breeland, but I'm going to disagree. And nobody is giving up on Jackson, but surely even you can see he has a long ways to go.

D

Deleted member 6794

And nobody is giving up on Jackson, but surely even you can see he has a long ways to go.

I'm glad that you lower yourself to post on this forum to enlighten us with your football wisdom as none of us, but of course especially me, would have a clue about the game without your expertise :laugh: :rolleyes:

As a side note there's no doubt Jackson needs to significantly improve to be counted on as a starter.

Eduardo Valadares

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think cb and wr are priorities. We need de, lb, o-line and safety. That's top priority. Of course we can improve almost everywhere, but those positions should be prioritized.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think cb and wr are priorities. We need de, lb, o-line and safety. That's top priority. Of course we can improve almost everywhere, but those positions should be prioritized.

Edge rusher should be the top priority for the Packers next offseason.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad that you lower yourself to post on this forum to enlighten us with your football wisdom as none of us, but of course especially me, would have a clue about the game without your expertise :laugh: :rolleyes:

As a side note there's no doubt Jackson needs to significantly improve to be counted on as a starter.

Ha! I meant it more because you've had a huge crush on Jackson since PFF had him as their #1 CB last year. I wasn't implying that I have some unreal knowledge of football wisdom. My bad boo. ;)

Members online

Latest posts