Preview on the Oline

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Quick takes...

Cliffy is pain free after a year of pain... does this explain some of his troubles last year. Could be good news :thumbsup:

Well the bell was wrung for anyone trying to make the oline... Moll and Barbre have been anointed roster spots to lose huh.

Time to fly...

Packers preview: Offensive line zones in on improvement
JASON WILDE 608-252-6176
[email protected]
GREEN BAY - The family sitcom "Growing Pains" followed the Seaver family's travails for 166 episodes in the late 1980s and early '90s, and had NFL Films done a reality show based on the Green Bay Packers' offensive line in 2006, Steve Sabol probably would have begged for permission from ABC to borrow the title.

After all, with rookies Daryn Colledge, Jason Spitz and Tony Moll each starting at least 10 games last season, there were plenty of growing pains on the line.

"It was a growing experience. More than we ever could've expected," Colledge said. "But it definitely leaves us in a position to grow (even more)."

The good news is, the Packers figure to have considerably fewer rough patches in 2007, as they enter training camp Saturday secure in the knowledge that their starting five - Chad Clifton at left tackle, Colledge at left guard, Scott Wells at center, Spitz at right guard and Mark Tauscher at right tackle - will arrive intact after two years of uncertainty in the middle of the unit.

In 2005, the free agent departures of Pro Bowl guards Marco Rivera and Mike Wahle left what was once one of the NFL's elite lines in shambles. Last season, in addition to the three rookies seeing extensive playing time, Clifton battled knee problems all year and Tauscher missed five games with a torn groin muscle.

Now, though, Clifton is pain-free, Tauscher is healthy and the best thing that can happen to rookies has occurred: They're second-year players, not the virtual unknowns they were entering last season, despite the coaching staff's best efforts to prepare them during minicamp and organized team activity practices.

"Obviously the OTAs are great, the minicamps are great, because you get 'em exposed to a system and you see how they pick things up mentally, but you don't know if a) can they physically hang in there (and) b) you're never quite sure if they can play 75 plays in a game," said new offensive coordinator Joe Philbin, who was promoted in part because of his work with the rookies as their offensive line coach last year.

"So certainly there was a little bit of apprehension going into the year, a little bit of nervousness, because you weren't quite sure what you had."

And what did they end up having?

"I think they're three competitive guys, they're smart guys, they've responded well under fire, they don't panic, they have some poise and composure," Philbin replied. "We're pleased."

That's not to say that the unit will be immortalized like the Lombardi-era line or even the early 2000s group anytime soon. Too often last year, the Packers had to keep a back and/or tight end in to help in pass protection, and there were plenty of missed assignments and cut-blocks in the team's new lead-zone run scheme.

Nonetheless, with the addition of fourth-round pick Allen Barbre, who had a strong spring, the Packers would seem to have seven solid linemen, with Moll and Barbre serving as the top backups. It all depends on how Mike, Carol and Ben - er, Colledge, Spitz and Moll - benefit from last year's growing pains.

"When you have three offensive linemen that you draft, would it have been great if two guys had played (all) 16 games apiece and the other guy was a backup? Maybe," Philbin said.

"But this way, they've all gotten into the mix, we know more about all three of 'em than we would have if we'd only have played two of them the whole year. The way it unfolded, they certainly held their own. We're looking forward to all those guys taking the next step."

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's too bad that Colledge and Moll couldn't put on the extra 10# that MM wanted but that's probably because they worked on the weights so much in the off-season. They're undoubtably stronger though. Nothing wrong with that.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm really pumped about this group, I think that if we can prime some guys to replace the aging Cliffy/Tausch in a year or so, this could be a dynamic group for a few years to come. Knocking on wood, as always for good health.