Pretty good stories from the Press-Gazette

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score

PWT36

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Net, I guess it is a long way to N.F.L. from The C.F.L. However, maybe Morley will get motivated in the Packer training Camp and turn things around. He will be given a chance to do so. Hope he takes advantage of his opportunity. East coast packer--Packers punting problem will work it self out during training camp, if not with those presently on the roster, with some veteran punter, who will be brought in to do the job. Hopefully they find a N.F.L. type holder for Longwell's F.G. kicking while the Packers are at it. Maybe, it can be accomplished with one player

leopardmech

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Net, I guess it is a long way to N.F.L. from The C.F.L.
It certainly is. The CFL is a league of NFL Dropouts and some Canadians that are playing because of quota rules. I love my country but our football stinks. That said there is a lot of talent here that can and will eventually make it to the NFL. I was really pulling for Morley as I would love to see a Canadian on my fav team. I hope he pulls up his socks in training camp and makes the team.

Later
Leopardmech

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
leopard...what are the main differences between the NFL and CFL...3 downs, and longer fields, right? And can't you score off of punts and K.Os through the uprights?

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Field is wider too. You get a single point (called a rouge) for missed field goals kicked through the end zone. You have unlimited motion in the backfield and there is also no fair catch rule.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thanx guys...I vaguely remember watching a CFL game or two years ago when ESPN would occasionally air some games and remember it being a faster paced game, with more passing than the NFL.

Out of curiosity, do many Canadians follow the NFL, or are you and TOPF in the minority?

Philtration

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Musccy, The CFL has three downs, motion-toward-the-line-of-scrimmage-before-the-snap-of-the-ball, wider field (63 yards versus 53 yards) and longer end zones (20 yards). The CFL's one-yard zone between the offensive and defensive lines is different than the NFL, who are used to seeing opposing linemen nose to nose. The Canadian twelve-man team is one more than the American eleven-man team. Canadians do not have a 'fair catch' rule on kick-off and punt returns as do the Americans; the receiver is fair game and an easy target for onrushing opposing players intent on sending the receiver into tomorrow. To offset the 'danger zone,' the CFL has a five-yard restraining zone that, theoretically, allows the receiver to catch the ball before being smacked hard by an opposing player. The five-yard restraining zone is more fiction than fact.
With Canadian rules, a football game is played quicker than the American game; for instance, the American quarterback has forty seconds to put the ball in play whereas his Canadian counterpart has half that time. In the CFL, if a game is tied at end of regulation time, the teams play two five-minute overtime periods, each with a kick-off. Teams have an equal opportunity to score and win the game.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
All I know is Sherman "could" have taken a longer look at Ricky Ray when he had the chance....

Trouble is - now he plays for the Jets and probably will never see the field in regular season play.
Tough luck....

Opinions on Ricky Ray....

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is a die-hard segment of the population up here who swear by the CFL, insisting that it's a "more entertaining game." There is another segment (of which I'm a part) who prefer the NFL but still enjoy the CFL. There is another segment who prefer the CFL but like the NFL. There is yet another segment who like nothing about the CFL and watch only NFL football. Of the four I'd say the third is lkely the largest in Canada, though the second is steadily growing.

leopardmech

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is yet another segment who like nothing about the CFL and watch only NFL

This would be the segment of the population I am in.
I would have to agree with TOPackerFan's post as he pretty much sums it up but I would say that I think the people that prefer the NFL and still enjoy the CFL would be the largest. I personally know more NFL than CFL fans.

Later
Leopardmech

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LM, I think you're a native Ontarian, while I grew up in the praries so our experience is somewhat different. In Manitoba, the CFL is more popular than the NFL, though the majority of people there still watch the NFL.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
JD said:
IPB, Ricky Ray was cut this offseason by the Jets, and he signed back in Edmonton.
With this guy - I look at it this way... and maybe it "could have" happened....

Let's see - two years straight winning the Grey Cup....
16 out of 18 games played OUTSIDE.....
(Correct me if I'm wrong, you guys)

Yep - I think that makes a QB worthy of some Frozen Tundra attention.
What's more I hear he takes a good hit and keeps gettin' back up.
Remind ya of anyone already on the Roster?

leopardmech

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LM, I think you're a native Ontarian, while I grew up in the praries so our experience is somewhat different. In Manitoba, the CFL is more popular than the NFL, though the majority of people there still watch the NFL.
Yes I am originally from Ontario and what you say makes sense I lived in Edmonton for 5 years and they all loved the Eskimos where in TO most of the people don't care about the Argos.

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like Ray as a QB, but I just have to trust that there's something the NFL types don't like about his game. Watch though for Casey Printers to make an NFL roster in a few years.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The part of the article on Sander that doesn't thrill me is when they talk about his shanks. He's cut down, but is he at a level that is really dependable? For as bad as Barker was last year, he never crippled the team with a shank. It said:

"Sander didn

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts