Preseason game 1: Houston vs. GB

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary: He got some pressure but I'm a little disappointed in not seeing improvement in his hand technique, the one area in his college tape that needed improvement. He lets the OT get into his body. The dude showed he is fast off the snap and plenty strong, speed to power, but we knew that already.
From what I saw, that’s all he showed last night, speed and power off the snap. He couldn’t take the next move to get closer to the QB. These are things I think he can learn. But damn, he is fast off the snap.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing that stood out to me was when the defense was trying to get to the QB, so many of them over pursued. It was almost like they were running too hard, if that makes sense.

In many ways I could see Kumerow becoming a kind of folk hero to the fans. He is were he is supposed to be and for the most part makes the catches look easy. Not overwhelmed in the least.

One other thing. I would be interested in seeing more of Boyle. I know that Kizer is the preemptive Back-up but Boyle seemed almost more poised than Kizer. Granted I didn't see a lot of the 2nd half, but I didn't see Boyle missing his receivers as much as Kizer and I didn't like that Kizer could have gotten Lazard hurt. Needs better eyes.
Same impressions. Boyle looked calmer, as if the game had slowed down. Kizer looked anxious to me and didn’t really settle in.

I think Kumerow is already a fan favorite. Maybe they can replace “Kuuuuuuuuuuuhn” with Kuuuuuuuuuuumerow”.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’m guessing the fans were giving Moore a lot of gas for the drops he had prior to the TD. And then, as you note, he acted like an angry child when he did catch the TD. The guy is 1) full of himself, 2) uncoachable and 3) immature. Time to move on. I think he bobbled the TD catch as well, which was nothing more than a simple pitch and catch from the 1 yard line.
I don’t think it was any more than a show of frustration because he knows he should be catching the ball. The drops have gotten in his head and he’s feeling the pressure. I don’t think it has anything to do with being uncoachable or being full of himself. I think he fully realizes he needs to be better.

firstdown

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Might be tough to keep 7 WR's. I have been thinking about this quite a bit. With MLF's system, he values TE's and RB's. I think they will keep at least 4 TE's and 4-5 RB's with Vitale being in that group. Throw in 9-10 OL and 2-3 QB's and you are pushing the 26-27 players on offense.

-TE's: Graham, Sternberger, Lewis, Tonyan.

-RB's: Jones, Williams, Williams, Vitale.

- WR's: Adams, Allison, MVS, EQ.

I think Davis, Kumerow, Lazard and Shepherd will be battling for the 5th and 6th spot, with Davis being in the lead due to his ST play. J'Mon Moore to me is now a long shot to make the team.

Injuries will probably end up making the decision for the Packers, but if everyone stays healthy and continues to perform, it might be a case of trying to determine which 1 or 2 of that group of WR's can be snuck through waivers and onto the PS.

None of the top 7 receivers who are eligible for the practice squad would make it through waivers, not even Shepard. Running back is the easiest position to learn, and the easiest player to replace. We'll probably go with three, and have one or two on the practice squad. That will accomodate keeping 7 receivers.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
None of the top 7 receivers who are eligible for the practice squad would make it through waivers, not even Shepard. Running back is the easiest position to learn, and the easiest player to replace. We'll probably go with three, and have one or two on the practice squad. That will accomodate keeping 7 receivers.
What RB are you proposing to cut? One of the Williams or Vitale?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I guess I'm less concerned about total yards. I care more about yards per attempt and yards per completion.

Yes, Webb got 286 yards. He also thew 40 passes. Thats a pretty busy day right there.

Boyle and Kizer combined to throw 18 passes. The Texans threw more than 2x the passes the Packers thew and achieved less than 2x the number of passing yards compared to what the Packers did. I fail to see that as a victory for the Texans.

The rushing yards don't particularly concern or impress me. A lot of those were the defense blowing up the main plan with good coverage, good pass rush, or both. I'm more annoyed that our defense tended to not seal the deal when the blew up the pocket that anything else.

The lack of first downs is potentially more concerning. I don't know who should get what blame and how much should be assigned. Was it bad quarterbacking? Maybe. Did the receivers drop too many passes? Maybe. Did the MLF call a lot of run plays to emphasize a certain thing? Maybe, but ~29 runs isn't a ton.

In other words, I need to think more about the first down count. It may or may not be a problem.

While you are chewing on that, also think about turnovers. Without the turnovers, I think that game ends up much different than it was, as well as Webb's final numbers. Were the turnovers all on Webb? I doubt it.

We could go back and forth on this and point out this stat or that stat, but I still think Webb had much better control and command of his offense, than any of the Packer QB's did. Which really is what you want from your #2, a guy that can step in and lead the offense. Although for the Texans last night, it was their #3 QB doing that pretty well IMO.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
No way do they cut down to only two true running backs when both RB1 and RB2 have hammy issues.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While you are chewing on that, also think about turnovers. Without the turnovers, I think that game ends up much different than it was, as well as Webb's final numbers. Were the turnovers all on Webb? I doubt it.

We could go back and forth on this and point out this stat or that stat, but I still think Webb had much better control and command of his offense, than any of the Packer QB's did. Which really is what you want from your #2, a guy that can step in and lead the offense. Although for the Texans last night, it was their #3 QB doing that pretty well IMO.

Command, maybe. Actual performance, I don't think so.

The second pick, I remember, was terrible. Bad decision, bad throw. The first was a good defensive play, but I can't remember how much of a good play vs. how much of a bone-headed throw.

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gary: He got some pressure but I'm a little disappointed in not seeing improvement in his hand technique, the one area in his college tape that needed improvement. He lets the OT get into his body. The dude showed he is fast off the snap and plenty strong, speed to power, but we knew that already.

Too soft and he is not nowhere near the level of Julius Peppers. That there equals bust. I didn't get to see all the game and wanted a grade on Savage. He'd better be an upgrade over HHCD or that's 2 for 2 in bust picks drafts.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
I was mildly encouraged by Kizer's work last night. Of the five incompletions, some were not his fault (drop, blown screen play). Then again, some of the completions were not perfectly accurate, Shepherd's TD coming to mind.

Unfortunately, Kizer has earn himself a poor reputation with fans. Anything he does right now is going to be filtered through a negative prism.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Too soft and he is not nowhere near the level of Julius Peppers. That there equals bust. I didn't get to see all the game and wanted a grade on Savage. He'd better be an upgrade over HHCD or that's 2 for 2 in bust picks drafts.

What a clown... declaring busts after one preseason game.

Shouldn't we be able to ban people for this level of stupidity?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don’t think it was any more than a show of frustration because he knows he should be catching the ball. The drops have gotten in his head and he’s feeling the pressure. I don’t think it has anything to do with being uncoachable or being full of himself. I think he fully realizes he needs to be better.
I hope so. The guy is talented and he knows how to catch a football.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way do they cut down to only two true running backs when both RB1 and RB2 have hammy issues.
Agreed. My guess is they carry 3 RBs and a fullback (Vitale). Dexter and Tra will duke it out for the RB3 position.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Gary isn’t the second coming of Julius Peppers and that makes him a bust, after one PS game? A little harsh doncha think?

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got no ******* use for players getting drafted 13th overall and not playing like it
let's see. few players are julius peppers to begin with and i doubt he did much in his first preseason game either. gary was doubled most of the time and when he wasn't they were running away from him. when he's out there with the 1's it'll be a different story.

Reaction score
I think Davis, Kumerow, Lazard and Shepherd will be battling for the 5th and 6th spot, with Davis being in the lead due to his ST play. J'Mon Moore to me is now a long shot to make the team.
I agree. I think Moore moved from my #6 to a PS candidate. I’m not sure what the heck is going on with him but he looks intimidated out there. He’s got to have 3 near perfect games to make this roster.

Meanwhile Kumerow has moved up into the #4 position (it’s a close race with EQ and Davis) He’s earning his way up the ladder with good, consistent play. I have it :
WR: Adams, Gmo, MVS, Kumerow, EQ, Davis and 2 PS in the event one of those first 6 miss any significant time or 1 PS gets snatched onto another roster.

Reaction score
let's see. few players are julius peppers to begin with and i doubt he did much in his first preseason game either. gary was doubled most of the time and when he wasn't they were running away from him. when he's out there with the 1's it'll be a different story.
I agree. This is far too early to be condemning draft picks. You’d have to have strong psychic
abilities to be able to determine anyone’s career worth this early into a season... and I still wouldn’t believe you. ;)
From Packers.com

Outside linebackers coach Mike Smith
On Gary:
“With Gary, you just can’t throw everything at him at once, especially at outside linebacker, him standing up all the time. Every little technique we’ve got to master. I’m happy where he’s at. He’s a good player, good kid, practices hard. He’s going. Eventually we have to start tying it in and bring it on game day.”

“Once he starts grasping all these things, he’s going to be a dangerous man, I can promise you that.”

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1st rounders declared busts after 1 preseason game, and the DB's considered a failure after 6 plays in the first game. We have some overreactionary posters in our midsts LOL

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Soft?

Grading after a pre-season game?

I'm gonna go ahead and say that you're joking, because it gives me more hope in humanity.

Members online

Latest posts