Preseason game 1: Houston vs. GB

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm no expert, I just know more than you. Pretty low standard, tbh.

Geez, I didn't realize I'm that stupid to present a low standard even for you. I'm glad you, as the generally accepted Mr. summa *** laude around here, finally told me.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Geez, the lineman didn't even try to block Gary. Surprisingly Webb completed the pass to the side he was rushing from. Definitely not his fault but the play was designed that way.

I'm not even talking about him losing contain on several plays allowing Webb to rush for first downs.

Awesome, so Gary had one pass rush against a rookie tackle on which he came close to the QB without having an impact on the outcome of the play.

BTW as I've mentioned repeatedly there's no way to fairly evaluate Gary after only one preseason game, I just expected him to have a bigger impact after hearing about him dominating practice.

BTW how's Kumerow doing??? I remember you telling all of us that he has no chance of making the roster.

This is a weak attempt to explain away the play. The play design was not for the left tackle to get beaten that quickly.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Here's the commentary to go with that play:

"Packers first-round pick Rashan Gary played 32 snaps. Gary toggled back and forth from the left and right sides of the line and played exactly 16 snaps on each. It’s difficult to assign OLB or DE to Gary as he plays both depending on the base or subpackage defensive fronts. Gary played every snap from a 2-point standup alignment rather than having his hand on the ground.

Gary set some physical edges in the run game – often forcing runs back inside. Certainly, this is a good sign for a young player to understand his gaps and assignments against the run.

His best rush of the game came as an R-DE against the Texans left tackle. You can see Gary chop the player’s outside arm creating a soft edge. Gary slipped slightly while turning the corner and was just a hair late as QB Joe Webb delivered the ball.

Gary has all the tools and traits to be an explosive athlete, but he needs to refine his game with hand combat and counter moves as a pass rusher.

One play of note came on third and 9 with Gary looping inside with the nickel blitzing off the perimeter. Gary comes through cleanly but Webb is able to set up and scramble for a first down. Balancing one-on-one opportunities and also looking to free Gary up with stunts and games will be a challenge for Packers defensive coordinator Mike Pettine this season."

Gary did not dominate his first preseason game, nor did he disappoint. He was fine. People that didn't like the pick are going to say he was lousy or disappointment. Maybe people who loved the pick are going to say he was a stud (though I haven't seen that). Neither one is a good descriptor in his first game.

Last edited:

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
One more note:

That was a first round rookie facing a first round rookie. So it's not fair to act like he was just playing way above the level of competition and thus dismiss the play.

D

Deleted member 6794

This is a weak attempt to explain away the play. The play design was not for the left tackle to get beaten that quickly.

If Tytus Howard truly tried to block Gary on that play he should have never come close to being selected in the first round.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
If Tytus Howard truly tried to block Gary on that play he should have never come close to being selected in the first round.

You're making a judgement of Howard based on one play in a preseason game?

1) Of course he tried to block Gary. You know that.

2) He kept his hands low and his inside hand wide. Hence, he got chopped. Bad technique for Howard, good job taking advantage by Gary. Ultimately one rep.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
This isn't Remember the Titans.

Joe Webb isn't Sunshine back there being like "Tytus... let him through."

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

It couldn't just be that one player had a good rep, and another player had a bad rep, could it?

Or does that not fit the narrative.

If you think Gary had no impact, please go back and watch the tape. He was chipped, and doubled, often. Why do you think Houston was employing that strategy against Gary? Simply put Wimm, while it might not show up in the box score stats, taking the most attention from the other team is making an impact.

rmontro

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What’s funny is that I am not intellectually convinced that this makes a difference, and yet my gut tells me I would like to see him on the sideline.
It's often said that football is an emotional game, so it could make a difference.

D

Deleted member 6794

You're making a judgement of Howard based on one play in a preseason game?

1) Of course he tried to block Gary. You know that.

Actually I don't have any interest in evaluating Howard but Gary shouldn't receive a ton of credit for that play after the way the offensive lineman tried to block him.

If you think Gary had no impact, please go back and watch the tape. He was chipped, and doubled, often. Why do you think Houston was employing that strategy against Gary? Simply put Wimm, while it might not show up in the box score stats, taking the most attention from the other team is making an impact.

Once again, I don't put any value in stats during preseason games but expected Gary to have more of an impact after reports about him dominating practice. He didn't have a significant impact against the Ravens either.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
Actually I don't have any interest in evaluating Howard but Gary shouldn't receive a ton of credit for that play after the way the offensive lineman tried to block him.

Once again, I don't put any value in stats during preseason games but expected Gary to have more of an impact after reports about him dominating practice. He didn't have a significant impact against the Ravens either.

Who was giving him a "ton" of credit? It's one play in the preseason.

D

Deleted member 6794

Who was giving him a "ton" of credit? It's one play in the preseason.

Actually I'm not interested in arguing about semantics here. In my opinion Gary hasn't performed up to reports out of camp during the first two preseason games, that one play not making a difference. Obviously there are posters around here having a different opinion which is fine as well.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Actually I'm not interested in arguing about semantics here. In my opinion Gary hasn't performed up to reports out of camp during the first two preseason games, that one play not making a difference. Obviously there are posters around here having a different opinion which is fine as well.

I have been a bit disappointed as well, but keep thinking its way too early to even come close to evaluating what he will do, especially when he gets snaps with the other starters. Was a bit surprised that Pettine didn't insert him during the starters reps last night, but maybe we will see some of that against the Raiders.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

I agree with this. He hasn't performed up to the early camp reports so far. But recall, this started with you saying that he didn't get anywhere near Webb. There were at least two occasions that he did.

D

Deleted member 6794

I have been a bit disappointed as well, but keep thinking its way too early to even come close to evaluating what he will do, especially when he gets snaps with the other starters. Was a bit surprised that Pettine didn't insert him during the starters reps last night, but maybe we will see some of that against the Raiders.

There's no doubt it's way too early to evaluate Gary by any means. I have been pretty clear about that.

I agree with this. He hasn't performed up to the early camp reports so far. But recall, this started with you saying that he didn't get anywhere near Webb. There were at least two occasions that he did.

Once again, there's no point in arguing about semantics. While I maybe should have phrased it differently the point remains the same that I expected him to have a bigger impact during the first two preseason games.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Will watch the 2nd game today but the first game I did not see anything bad or good about Gary. Mostly they ran the ball to the other side of the line. But he did seem to me to get close to the QB on passing plays. Talks of him playing poorly are greatly exaggerated imho. Don't know what you guys expect.

D

Deleted member 6794

Will watch the 2nd game today but the first game I did not see anything bad or good about Gary. Mostly they ran the ball to the other side of the line. But he did seem to me to get close to the QB on passing plays. Talks of him playing poorly are greatly exaggerated imho. Don't know what you guys expect.

Gary at least hitting the quarterback would be a decent start.

D

Deleted member 6794

Would prefer not to have stupid penalties.

I wouldn't mind that either.

But I would feel more comfortable about the Packers first selection from this year's draft having an impact over players not making the roster not being penalized in the preseason.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Speaking of penalties, can we just tell the kick return team to NOT return anything if its in the end zone? Now maybe they have the green light during preseason, just to see what they can do, but I for one am sick and tired of seeing the offense start a drive inside the 20 or 10 yard line due to a penalty or a nothing return. Take the 25 yard line and be happy you didn't fumble it or get a penalty called.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of penalties, can we just tell the kick return team to NOT return anything if its in the end zone? Now maybe they have the green light during preseason, just to see what they can do, but I for one am sick and tired of seeing the offense start a drive inside the 20 or 10 yard line due to a penalty or a nothing return. Take the 25 yard line and be happy you didn't fumble it or get a penalty called.
Oh I don't know. I'm kinda looking forward to Shephard returning a few. But I certainly would like to have more discipline as far as penalties are concerned. In fact, if I was a coach; I would demand more discipline. No frigging excuses.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't put any value in stats during preseason games but expected Gary to have more of an impact after reports about him dominating practice. He didn't have a significant impact against the Ravens either.
Once again, drills and non-tackling 11-on-11's are merely indications. Game action is a whole other thing.

D

Deleted member 6794

Once again, drills and non-tackling 11-on-11's are merely indications. Game action is a whole other thing.

I fully understand that but nevertheless expected Gary to perform at a higher level over the first two preseason games.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts