Preseason game 1: Houston vs. GB

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I wouldn't be surprised if he played the first series. Mainly due to the fact that the offense practiced pretty poorly all week.

I wouldn't mind MLF getting tricky. Play the backups on offense to start and then trot Rodgers and the starters out to open the 2nd half. Most of the Texan starters will be out by then and it might give Rodgers and the offense "safer" practice time. :coffee: As long as they get plenty of time to stretch before they go out of course. :)

I'm looking forward to seeing the speed and size of the defense. Also, if they can cover and tackle.

The WR competition is going to heat up fast. If Moore drops a few easy catches, he isn't going to make this team. "Moore" importantly, he is going to prove he can get open and make the tough catches too.

Finally, I will be keeping an eye on Texans Lonnie Johnson. If he plays, it will be interesting to see if any of the Packers attempt to get some redemption for the 2 cheap shots he put on Packer players during the scrimmage.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From what I've heard he's not playing. Which I'm fine with. Let's let the offensive line do some gelling before we put Rodgers under center :)

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
From what I've heard he's not playing. Which I'm fine with. Let's let the offensive line do some gelling before we put Rodgers under center :)

Good point on getting the offensive line some "gelling time" before putting the franchise behind them. Not sure I want to see JJ Watt end the Packers season on the second play of a preseason game.

Reports were hinting at #12 playing due to the bad offensive performances during scrimmages, but who knows. MLF also said "he expects (Rogers) to get his preseason work in Games 2 and 3 in Baltimore against the Ravens and Winnipeg against the Oakland Raiders

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If the offense can't run it right in practice, there's little benefit in trotting them out there for a series or 2 now. Eventually it will be **** or get off the pot for the starting offense, but they're going to be in learning mode pretty much the entire 1st year. If they aren't running the basics well in practice, then I'd keep them there until they can, or they run out of time to just do it in practice and the games count for real.

I think preseason and live play is needed to get a team ready, but they have to be ready for that point, or mostly anyway for it to be a positive thing. I doubt this offense is yet.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good point on getting the offensive line some "gelling time" before putting the franchise behind them. Not sure I want to see JJ Watt end the Packers season on the second play of a preseason game.

Reports were hinting at #12 playing due to the bad offensive performances during scrimmages, but who knows. MLF also said "he expects (Rogers) to get his preseason work in Games 2 and 3 in Baltimore against the Ravens and Winnipeg against the Oakland Raiders
Rodgers is not suited up.

Kizer starts and then boyle. Wilkens late.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
J'Mon Moore is all but done as a Packer. I get his frustrations, but even after he bobble catches a TD, he slams the ball in disgust and walks off the field shaking his head. Looks like he has already given up on himself. :(

I wonder if the Texans would trade Webb for Kizer, I would even be willing to throw in J'Mon Moore. :coffee:

Reaction score
J'Mon Moore is all but done as a Packer. I get his frustrations, but even after he bobble catches a TD, he slams the ball in disgust and walks off the field shaking his head. Looks like he has already given up on himself. :(
Yeah. You could sense his frustration. He can’t seem to shake the dropsies. Nice little grab there but he needs to find some consistency

H

HardRightEdge

I wonder if the Texans would trade Webb for Kizer, I would even be willing to throw in J'Mon Moore. :coffee:
It's a shame. The guy is sudden and gets separation. But I don't think we've seen him make a clean catch in two years. Even this TD was bobbled.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The TD was good for him but even that wasn’t clean and it wouldn’t have mattered. He dropped the easy one for a TD and they were fortunate enough to get another opportunity at the endzone.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a shame. The guy is sudden and gets separation. But I don't think we've seen him make a clean catch in two years. Even this TD was bobbled.
It’s frustrating, he “could” be better than just good but he has trouble catching and hasn’t figured it out yet. It’s getting in his head.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Adams, Allison, MVS, ESB, Kumerow, Trevor Davis, and Al Lazard (who I really like) may all be above him now. He needs to impress these next 3 preseason spots.

H

HardRightEdge

Adams, Allison, MVS, ESB, Kumerow, Trevor Davis, and Al Lazard (who I really like) may all be above him now. He needs to impress these next 3 preseason spots.
I liked what I saw of Shepherd more than Lazard. If that's intended to be in ranking order, I see Kumerow ahead of St. Brown at this stage.

Last edited by a moderator:
H

HardRightEdge

Gary: He got some pressure but I'm a little disappointed in not seeing improvement in his hand technique, the one area in his college tape that needed improvement. He lets the OT get into his body. The dude showed he is fast off the snap and plenty strong, speed to power, but we knew that already.

LambeauLombardi

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked what I saw of Shepherd more than Lazard. If that's intended to be in ranking order, I see Kumerow ahead of St. Brown at this stage.

I think you're right on both accounts. I really didn't do it in order from best to worst, but Kumerow's stock continues to go up. Shepherd had that nice catch when Kizer tried to get him knocked out in traffic ha

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I will take this as the "Studs and Duds" of the game thread. :)

Studs:
  • Ty Summer: I actually think he looked really good at ILB for a rookie.
  • Kumerow: This guy is going to be really hard not to keep
  • Back Up DB's: Hollman, Green, Sullivan and Redman all looked decent.
  • Turnovers
Duds:
  • Moore: He looks uncomfortable out there and that isn't going to help him catch the ball.
  • Packer Offense as a whole. Too many mistakes and without the turnovers, Texans probably look a lot more dominating then the score indicated.
  • Kizer: If this is our #2, please stay healthy #12
  • Defensive pursuit on rollouts. Web either ran or threw for way too many yards once he got outside of containment.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score

Studs:
  • Turnovers
Duds:
  • Moore: He looks uncomfortable out there and that isn't going to help him catch the ball.
  • Packer Offense as a whole. Too many mistakes and without the turnovers, Texans probably look a lot more dominating then the score indicated.
  • Defensive pursuit on rollouts. Web either ran or threw for way too many yards once he got outside of containment.

Nice list. I have not been in on Kumerow, but he is forcing the issue. And Moore is simultaneously leaving the door open.

I would add Kingsley Keke and J.K. Scott to the studs list. Keke was really active, and Scott showed some serious hang time.

Interesting that Lane Taylor was the only "starter" to play. That's clearly an open competition.

H

HardRightEdge

Studs:
  • Turnovers
Duds:
Hollman looks like he has some game.

Summer was generally around the ball, made a couple of nice sticks early, but was inconsistent. He got caught flatfooted a couple of times on second level blocks, got sucked in on a play action, missed a tackle or two (in a generally poor team tackling performance), betwixt and between on a zone coverage. He's got a ways to go. Still, he was the best looking ILB we saw tonight.

Not crazy about Redman.

I'd put Dexter Williams on the plus side of the column. Even before he ran those 4 or 5 in a row in the 4th. quarter against 3rd. stringers, I liked his quickness and vision. I'd put him ahead of Carson on this performance.

Reaction score
We started the season with a ST blocking in the back foul which penalized us 1/2 the distance to the goal on the very first play and likely killed the drive! We had over 40 yards in penalties before the 1st quarter ended. I’m not sure the ST coach got the message, I’d be embarrassed that should’ve never happened.

Ty looks like a young version of Martinez. He’s all over the field. Really Good instincts, good tackler and like a cannon being shot sideline to sideline. A small bit of refinement and he’s going to be a nice depth piece.

Hope Burks is ok. He made a nice move into the backfield, but looked awkward getting hurt on that tackle.

Kumerow has sticky hands. He’s picked up right a where he left off last year.

Hollman and Brown look fresh out there on D. They stay involved. Really good athletes from what little we saw.

Kizer was just inaccurate on many throws. He should be further along by now. On one example he targeted Moore on a simple crossing route and was 2 feet behind him instead of 2 feet ahead and in stride. This is fundamental football, not rocket ship engineering. This isn’t HS anymore and Kizer looks like a rookie, he’s running then going head first into tackles, not smart at all. He’s starting to worry me.

Decent punting today with several hitting between the goal line and 10 yard line. It’s no mistake EQ was Johnny on the spot on ST. He had some highlights last year also there. He has a natural nose for the ball on the punting squad.

My best value pick Dexter is still our best day 3 value IMO. Nothing flashy, but when he hits a hole he’s got a turbo feature. I think we’re going to be very happy we snatched him as a later day 3 pick. You can tell he’s durable. We need durable.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought Kizer did mostly fine out there. SUmmer looked nice for not ever seeing him before. Looked good for a young guy and plays with a lot of effort, but made some mistakes. I liked HOllman, that #48 back there seemed to have good coverage at times and then after I noted him, seemed to drop off, so i guess we'll see.

Saw mostly things I liked when zeroing in on guys in that they all showed good effort, strength, but a lot looked like guys who still had work to do. Seemed to play faster but it was preseason game 1.

They can't cut Kumerow if he keeps making those catches. He's big enough, fast enough etc to play WR. I don't care who has more talent, more measurables, more experience, more "upside" etc. If you can be where you're supposed to be and make those contested catches regularly, he has a spot on my team every single time. Neither of those were easy catches and was as sure handed as one can be. Keep it up and there is no way he's kept off this team.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Kizer - he did okay, but i think he should be further along. And im just not seeing any 'poise' out there, whatever that is. Its like he is too excited/nervous.

Gary - this was his college tape. Obscenely quick off the ball, but doesnt seem to make the plays you would expect.

Kumerow - how can you not be on the bandwagon? I think we are watching the birth of a legend here.

Holdman - for someone who is supposed to be raw, he did very well. Excited for this kid.

Summers - how did he last till the 7th? Did not expect much from him. I think he will develop into a very good player.

Savage - must not have played much. Dont recall hearing his name, which for a DB maybe a good thing.

Burks- thought he was looking decent. Hope injury isn't bad.

EQ - Well done on TD fumble recovery.

Tackling and OL needs to improve. Work on that MLF this coming week.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say he should be further along if he wasn't on like his 4th offense and 10 set of coaches in 3 years LOL. I'm exaggerating, but probably not by much. He's had zero consistency around him and been put in some bad situations for a young kid. He can move, he can throw, but there's a lot that needs to come together for it to all work. He's not a finished product and considering where he's been, it's not surprising to me

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'd say he should be further along if he wasn't on like his 4th offense and 10 set of coaches in 3 years LOL. I'm exaggerating, but probably not by much. He's had zero consistency around him and been put in some bad situations for a young kid. He can move, he can throw, but there's a lot that needs to come together for it to all work. He's not a finished product and considering where he's been, it's not surprising to me

I assume you are talking about Kizer?

I was kind of excited when the Packers obtained Kizer. I guess I should have watched more film, as well as realize he started for the Cleveland Browns his Rookie season.

I'm not saying that the guy couldn't turn it around, but I haven't seen much that I liked about him. For me, he is starting to look like Brent Hudley 2.0, not a guy I want as my #2.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be disappointed with most starters in the league too, we can want, and then there is what is available to work with. Boyle can toss the ball. Looks more poised, but lots of QB's have done that against 4th string talent but look like Graham harrel when the guys really scheming to shut you down. Biggest knock i've had on Kizer is being careless with the ball when it may be better to take the loss and fight another series.

Hundley obviously has the tools to work with too. If he read blitzes and defenses in the middle of the field better he'd likely be a well paid starter in this league. he can move, and has a plenty strong enough arm. His throws to the outside of the field were pretty good most times.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think what frustrates me the most about the Packer backup QB situation is watching a guy like Joe Webb, a 3rd stringer, look more polished than any of our 3 backups. Sure Webb wasn't facing any of the Packer starters, but I doubt any of the Packer QB's were either. Webb is also not the first backup QB that has looked much better than what the Packers are trotting out there.

Webb would cost the Texans a bit over $1M to carry and will most likely be stuck behind Watson and McCarron. Again, I don't know a ton about Webb, nor have I watched him play much other than when he started for the Vikings in a playoff game against the Packers 6 years ago and last night, but my knee jerk reaction is, I would rather have him backing up #12 than Kizer or Boyle.

Let's hope our backup QB's look better over the next 3 games, that or I would be looking to trade with the Texans for Webb.

Members online

Latest posts