Preseason Defense...uh oh

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Do you think we should be a little worried about how the Defense is looking so far? I know we were playing our 2's and 3's against their 1's in the first half in the Seattle game...still, we are still getting owned by single man coverage...bush should be a Quarter DB at best, Underwood can barely be a nickel, and you can't expect Patrick Lee to be anything but an understudy to those 2 poor corners, I see Shields to have much more potential then all 3 of those.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Well we should drop Bush entirely, and i think Capers is trying to hide a bunch of cards up his sleeves.

dogpackerz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no need 2 panic yet... remember the indy colts are 5-21 in the last 6 years of pre-season. And they have the best overall regular season record in that span. the pack is letting all these young def. players getting lots and lots of reps without blitzing.(just 2 see there playmaking ability, without help from the 6-7 man blitz

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The defense is a concern but I would take it as a grain of salt. Like everyone's been saying, 5 of our starters were out so that should already give you a clue as to how defunct we were. Still, I would have liked to see at least 1 or 2 of our low tier guys make a name for themselves like Anthony Smith in '09. So far the D-line has really got me hyped. Raji looks like he has a lot of power and Neal and Harrell are really stepping up to the plate. As long as those 3 continue to get better, this defense will garner serious attention.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
no need 2 panic yet... remember the indy colts are 5-21 in the last 6 years of pre-season. And they have the best overall regular season record in that span. the pack is letting all these young def. players getting lots and lots of reps without blitzing.(just 2 see there playmaking ability, without help from the 6-7 man blitz
Well, actually, they blitzed. But, yeah, they were much more vanilla than in regular season.
5 REGULAR starters were not playing...but go ahead and panic
6, actually, if you count Harris. Both starting CBs, and the entire starting LB corps.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, actually, they blitzed. But, yeah, they were much more vanilla than in regular season.

6, actually, if you count Harris. Both starting CBs, and the entire starting LB corps.

True even more reason NOT to panic.

I love the jump of the bridge people in 2nd pre season game

Not as much as the OBF posters who claim that this team sucks, but last year they said it was only preseason

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not sold on a couple of the packages Dom is implimenting right now. The 2-4-5 and the 1-4-6 he threw in last night aren't leaving much for pash rush in passing situations and leaving too much to inexperienced guys to get the job done in coverage. Even WITH most of the starters in last week we made Seneca Wallace look like Bernie Kosar in his prime, so yes...MUCH reason to be concerned...but to me, it's everyone, NOT just the defense.

Special teams CONTINUES *Mainly return game* to be a wreck. If that's fixed at all this year I'll be amazed with how bad it is right now.

The running game while improved from last week seems to be behind where it SHOULD be.

Really the ONLY thing that's working right now is the 1st team Passing Offense.

So yes while the Defense does stink right now...it isn't the ONLY nor is it the WORST concern we have. Maybe 2nd worst though.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not worried about our lack of a defensive showing as of yet. We're not dialing up many blitz packages like we did last pre-season as this year's main objective is to gauge the play making ability of our guys. I'm more concerned with our not so special teams. We looked absolutely horrific yesterday...

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ya the special teams were aweful... but we really need some people to break out and show they have pass rush ability already or we are gonna be screwed.

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not worried about our lack of a defensive showing as of yet. We're not dialing up many blitz packages like we did last pre-season as this year's main objective is to gauge the play making ability of our guys. I'm more concerned with our not so special teams. We looked absolutely horrific yesterday...

that's definitely something that still looks like it's not fixed, and that's a #1 priority for MM, he has been attending the meetings with the special teams and being more involved in it...which is great, but still no improvement. I say give it a chance, I remember when we horrible against the run and our defense sucked...MM made the defense a priority and made the corrections...so i do have faith in him

jkrelt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nick Collins did not have a great night.

His coverage broke down resulting in a touchdown pass in the 1st quarter. The defense was in a zone coverage on that play. Later in the same quarter he missed a tackle resulting in a rushing touchdown in the red zone.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I think they are just letting the secondary guys try to make some plays, and looking at all the young players back there right now. So the D is pretty vanilla.

I'm not worried. Remember Detroit 2 years ago, won all preseason games and went 0-16 in the regular season. Dallas in '92 won all their preseason games and went 1-15.

Preseason means nothing except for evaluating players. We we get burned in the regular season like this, panic.

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ya the special teams were aweful... but we really need some people to break out and show they have pass rush ability already or we are gonna be screwed.

FWIW, IIRC Mike Neal was double and triple teamed quite a bit yesterday. If they're putting that many bodies on one guy, imagine what will happen when Clay Matthews, Brad Jones, Ryan Pickett and Cullen Jenkins are in for most of the game.

T

The_Ohioan_Cheesehead

I would be panicking if this was regular season and we got smoked by philly and barley won against the bills.

KilrB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With 60% of last years defense not playing in the preseason I am only concerned that it may take them awhile to get up to speed in the regular season. However getting the backups more reps can only be a good thing.

The Special Teams play is what concerns me. Holy **** they are blowing it big time!

Nice to see Crosby looking good.

Watching Jon Ryan thump em and finess them all night long was a ***** to watch. This is really my only grip with TT. Why the hell did you let Ryan go?

G0PackG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
it's hard not to get sucked in to the pre season garbage. it's all chess. why show our cards for crap that doesnt matter?

OP
OP
armand34

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With 60% of last years defense not playing in the preseason I am only concerned that it may take them awhile to get up to speed in the regular season. However getting the backups more reps can only be a good thing.

The Special Teams play is what concerns me. Holy **** they are blowing it big time!

Nice to see Crosby looking good.

Watching Jon Ryan thump em and finess them all night long was a ***** to watch. This is really my only grip with TT. Why the hell did you let Ryan go?

yea it's pretty upsetting when you got a bad competition going on with next no experience punters, and then you watch Ryan punt it within the 5 2x, when was the last time our punter did that for us?? such an underrated position of the game, bet you will realize that the hard way with Feagles retiring

Members online

Latest posts