Preseason 4 Rams Studs/Duds

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Studs
All the rookie RBs
Ringo - great play on a near sack. Incredible move for such a big guy
M Bennet: Great interview. This guy has his head on right.
Vogel - best Packer punting in a while
Geronimo! His TD catch called back was a thing of beauty

Duds
Holmes. Dropped a pick six, turned around on running play; and 2 missed tackles (that I saw)

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Studs: Hundley and Hill, Geronimo, DL did a good job stuffing the run early.
Duds: Rams QB. Orlovsky is the best backup they can find?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Studs:
  1. Reggie Gilbert: Looked hard to block and he was bringing it.
  2. Justin Vogel: Great hang time! Do we need to worry about a gunner?
  3. Josh Jones: Speaking of Gunners...I wouldn't keep Janis if its because he is a good gunner. Give it to Jones, sorry Jeff.
  4. Aaron Jones: The "other Jones". Hard to gauge against an inferior defense, but he looked good with finding and hitting holes
  5. Taysom Hill: Goodbye Joe Callahan. I think Hill just showed he has the moxy to play back there. Seemed to have command of the audibles and play smart.
  6. Allison: Just secured the #4 spot and I think showed some toughness and ability to go up and get balls. Liking G-Mo more and more.
  7. Donatello Brown: May have earned himself a PS spot.
  8. Martellus Bennett: Best sideline interview yet
Duds:
  1. Kofi Amichia: Thought the rookie was at least a lock for the PS, he looks lost. Still might make the PS, since they spent a pick on him.
  2. Fackrell: Didn't do one thing to make me believe he has gotten better.
  3. Malachi Dupre: Might have lost his spot on the PS.
  4. Young backups on OL: Lots of work to do to shore that mess up.
Bubble Watch:
  1. Jeff Janis: I really think Janis may be on the bubble. I know many think he is just too good of a gunner to let go, but Jones looked great playing gunner and with Vogel's hang time, 1/4 of the unit gets down there before the ball is caught. Janis has shown me nothing but losing yardage on kick returns. WR? I will still pass.
  2. Fackrell: Gilbert passed him IMO on the depth chart. If 6 OLB's are kept, maybe he makes the 53.

Last edited:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not going to be surprised with Reggie Gilbert makes the team and Fackrell gets cut. He look ok last week, he did nothing against scrubs last night

Viper556

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't watch the second half, but Gunter looked great in the first half.

OP
OP
AmishMafia

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds: Rams QB. Orlovsky is the best backup they can find?
Anytime you sign a player that even the Bears cast off, it's time to take a hard look at your GM.

Duds; our announcers. These guys must have financial ties to hundly's agent. Or maybe TT told them to **** Hundly for a trade? Not sure.

Not sure about Dupree. He may have done enough before injured to make the PS. Maybe being out from his injury he got behind. Might be a blessing that now we can stash him on the PS.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's like they write the story line before the game even starts and then stick to it. Hundley was ok, that's it. Yeah his run for a TD was nice. his pass for a TD was not. not at all. In fact if any defender was within 3 feet of the RB, he's down at the 1. It's not the first time he's made a pass that should be easy look that difficult either. He does it in every game on those passes. He throws it short and too flat/behind the receiver. He didn't suck like Graham Harrell, but he's not exactly a star either. at this point a team would be crazy to even trade the 5th rounder we used on him. He has a long ways to go before he has his own team as they liked to say last night.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
It's like they write the story line before the game even starts and then stick to it. Hundley was ok, that's it. Yeah his run for a TD was nice. his pass for a TD was not. not at all. In fact if any defender was within 3 feet of the RB, he's down at the 1. It's not the first time he's made a pass that should be easy look that difficult either. He does it in every game on those passes. He throws it short and too flat/behind the receiver. He didn't suck like Graham Harrell, but he's not exactly a star either. at this point a team would be crazy to even trade the 5th rounder we used on him. He has a long ways to go before he has his own team as they liked to say last night.
Agreed. Also, imagine if you will......Hundley playing against a first team defense (secondary). He has some talent, but he isn't anything but a #2 right now.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Been telling you guys alllll pre season Hill will eventually be the #3 ...and then the #2. He fits this offense. Get a 4th rounder for Hundley at seasons end and call it a day.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds; our announcers. These guys must have financial ties to hundly's agent. Or maybe TT told them to **** Hundly for a trade? Not sure.
my first thought was they were showcasing him. i hope anyone interested just looks at the numbers on paper cuz looking at him on tape isn't a very satisfying experience. eye ball test is ugly.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Prediction......Rams pick-up at least one if not more of the Players the Packers cut.

One disappointed of last nights game was not seeing Rams Rookie WR Cooper Kupp. Sounds like he has a nagging groin injury, maybe he needs to wear a bigger....Cupp? :coffee:

and yes...I know what a groin injury is ;)

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Prediction......Rams pick-up at least one if not more of the Players the Packers cut.

One disappointed of last nights game was not seeing Rams Rookie WR Cooper Kupp. Sounds like he has a nagging groin injury, maybe he needs to wear a bigger....Cupp? :coffee:

and yes...I know what a groin injury is ;)

Lol. On a serious
Note, I've watched 3 Rams games this preseason and Cooper Kupp can play.

swhitset

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. Also, imagine if you will......Hundley playing against a first team defense (secondary). He has some talent, but he isn't anything but a #2 right now.
He always looks scared out there to me... never looking downfield when scrambling... always taking the short safe throw underneath on 3rd and long ....

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
He always looks scared out there to me... never looking downfield when scrambling... always taking the short safe throw underneath on 3rd and long ....
I have noticed that too, for whatever reason, he does not look really sure of himself out there just yet. I actually thought Hill looked a lot more composed under center last night.

Ugggg.....on the 3rd down passes being thrown short of the sticks....hate that! I get it, sometimes you don't have any other options, but I have said it before, make sure ALL your receivers are running routes a good one yard past the sticks and only use that dump off pass to the RB if it's absolutely open for a catch and a run to a first down. Too many times, even with AR, we have seen TE's and WR's catch a pass one yard short of the first down. Some teams actually do tackle a receiver right when they catch the ball!

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish they could have found a trade for Hundley. I'm not that impressed with him. At times he looks really good. Other times not so much. One thing that sticks out is his pocket awareness. He is very easy to sack. He doesn't seem to have any feel for when the pocket is collapsing and when it's time to scramble. Then when he finally decides to make a run for it, he doesn't find his escape lanes in time. Rodgers and Favre always know/knew what their escape options are/were at all times. Hill has shown some of that ability. Hill actually reminds me a lot of Majkowski when he was a rookie for some reason.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
On which kick returns did he lose yardage?
I believe every kickoff return in the preseason.

If you take a knee in the end zone, ball goes out to the 25. From memory, Janis has returned one past the 25 this preseason and there were 2 holding penalties on the Packers called during it. So net yardage, if a ball is kicked into the endzone and you decide to run it out and you get tackled before the 25, is really a loss of yards. He also had the muffed kick at the goal line against the Eagles. For too long now, Janis appears to make bad decisions on when to return it and when to just kneel. Also, when he does return a ball, it's nothing special, it appears he just runs it right up the middle of the field, hoping someone creates a hole, and gets tackled short of the 25.

D

Deleted member 6794

Bubble Watch:

Jeff Janis: I really think Janis may be on the bubble. I know many think he is just too good of a gunner to let go, but Jones looked great playing gunner and with Vogel's hang time, 1/4 of the unit gets down there before the ball is caught. Janis has shown me nothing but losing yardage on kick returns. WR? I will still pass.

While I don't trust Janis to ever develop into a consistent contributor at wide receiver I'm convinced he will make the roster based on his performance on special teams.

Been telling you guys alllll pre season Hill will eventually be the #3 ...and then the #2. He fits this offense. Get a 4th rounder for Hundley at seasons end and call it a day.

There's no reason to believe another team woukd be ready to give up a fourth rounder to acquire Hundley.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I think Hundley is being show cased in pre season for a future trade.

Personally, I don't think the Packers have trading Hundley in their short range plans, maybe not even 1+ year plan. All the snaps he got were to get him ready to be what he is being paid to be, #12's backup. If Packers were in rebuild mode, I could see trading Hundley if his value was high enough, but they aren't and they may need Hundley in 2017 and even in 2018. Until either a suitable #2 is found to take his place or his contract runs out, the Packers are probably best served by Hundley being on a rookie contract and eventually becoming a mid range compensatory pick.

BrokenArrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I believe every kickoff return in the preseason.

If you take a knee in the end zone, ball goes out to the 25. From memory, Janis has returned one past the 25 this preseason and there were 2 holding penalties on the Packers called during it. So net yardage, if a ball is kicked into the endzone and you decide to run it out and you get tackled before the 25, is really a loss of yards. He also had the muffed kick at the goal line against the Eagles. For too long now, Janis appears to make bad decisions on when to return it and when to just kneel. Also, when he does return a ball, it's nothing special, it appears he just runs it right up the middle of the field, hoping someone creates a hole, and gets tackled short of the 25.
Preseason football isn't real football. Guys are told to go ahead and return some kicks that they would never return in a real game because they have to get reps. BTW, using that logic, we only had 2 kickoff returns that didn't lose yardage.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Preseason football isn't real football. Guys are told to go ahead and return some kicks that they would never return in a real game because they have to get reps. BTW, using that logic, we only had 2 kickoff returns that didn't lose yardage.

Fortunately, I was also basing it on last years regular season performance as well (posted elsewhere). In 2016, Janis average 19.8 yds/return. That really isn't very good. Packers were 24th in the league with a 19.7 average. The Vikings led the league at 27.3 yards. Janis wasn't doing much different in the preseason returning kicks that he wasn't doing in the regular season. I know you accused me of picking on Jeff, but stats are hard to ignore.