Predictions for Pick #45 or Second Rd.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I'm hoping we trade up. There are probably a hlaf a dozen guys that would look good and maybe more if you wanted another CB

How about we trade our "2nd" first round pick next year. The chance of both the Packers and the Saints imploding for top half pick is remote.

I would prefer to trade away known capital, while I am more willing to risk receiving unknown capital at a discount. Imagine had the Packers traded away their first round pick for 2018 last year, expecting it to be around a 28-32. You just never know.

I still think the Packers have plenty of Amo in the gun with the 11 picks in this draft to do some serious damage in the next 2 days.

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya I don't think trading that future first now makes any sense (barring part of a trade for an established star player).

906Fan

Former Dancer
Reaction score
Id be happy with most of the players being mentioned, the only position that I think we shouldn't pick with our 2nd round is DL.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It definitely takes a few years for a tight end to develop because they have a lot of responsibilities, but I think two tight ends in the last 20 years is a bit of hyperbole. Just look at the amount of star tight end from the 2013 NFL draft. Granted they weren't all elite prospects, but you have Kelce, Ertz, Reid, and Eifert. You never know when that draft comes around again and I think Goedert, Gesicki, and Andrews are at least as talented as far as prospects go.

And none of those guys were elite as rookies and only Kelce was on the verge of elite (I wouldn't classify him as elite his second year but he was somewhat close). Teams should take a flyer on an ex-power forward late in the draft pretty much every year and just wait on seeing which one develops. The hit rate of TEs in the first round (guessing here) is probably lower than any position outside of QB.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
QB, Punter, PK, Center, FB, RB, PR, WB, HCL, PPS.*

*waterboy
head cheerleader
pompom squad

Ummm...have you seen the Packer Cheerleaders? Count me in for an upgrade there!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

hallzi43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And none of those guys were elite as rookies and only Kelce was on the verge of elite (I wouldn't classify him as elite his second year but he was somewhat close). Teams should take a flyer on an ex-power forward late in the draft pretty much every year and just wait on seeing which one develops. The hit rate of TEs in the first round (guessing here) is probably lower than any position outside of QB.

Eifert was hurt year 2 and Ertz posted 700 yards as the backup te. Not bad.

We have Graham for 3 seasons of hopefully quality play. But behind him we have nothing.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It would be for two second round picks and if you use some peoples logic in reverse they would be honorary first round picks anyway.

Why do it now? Just wait on it.

Trading it for two current 2nd rounders is trading low. Don't trade low.

GleefulGary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't be surprised if we go OT.

Chuks, O'Neill, Jamarco Jones, Carlos Williams all in play. OG has a bunch of good prospects too.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sure and they will get a lot of those spots picked but the picks were never going to start. Very few rookies are going to be better than clay or Perry if those two are healthy. We do need a back up there though who can start in a year or two. Similar at safety. Similar at ilb.

The Packers are better at cb already. Have a better dline. And have a better coach. There is reason to think the d will be better.
not talking about matthews and perry. ilb, safety, are weak points. the only thing in the middle of the field that's good is dt. the middle is vulnerable. that's why the james miss is so frustrating.
it's all about who's on the field! if your D sucks and you don't replace the problems, the D is STILL going to suck. who have we replaced to this point? burnett with jones, randall for williams, dial for wilkerson, rollins/pipkins for alexander? that's no improvement at all. a different guy yelling at them might help, but we don't know. lol

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I can't imagine they expected Ward to be on the board at #14 or even #10ish for a trade up.
Expected, probably not. But had Ward gotten by the Bears, who knows what Gute would have done, I think possibly he may have traded up to get him. Everything I heard leading up to the draft, the Packers knew they were in a position on the board that favored going up or down and they were preparing for each scenario. Whatever prep work they did, they nailed it IMO, since they ended up doing both down and up, just in a different way than some might have expected.

There was a lot of chatter by the media yesterday that New Orleans was trying to trade up. I think most expected them to grab a QB. So I guess for once, the media was right and it wouldn't surprise me if Gunt or one of the Packer reps spent quite a bit of time on the phone with the Saints yesterday.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Expected, probably not. But had Ward gotten by the Bears, who knows what Gute would have done, I think possibly he may have traded up to get him. Everything I heard leading up the draft, the Packers knew they were in a position on the board that favored going up or down and they were preparing for each scenario. Whatever prep work they did, they nailed it IMO, since they ended up doing both down and up, just in a different way than some might have expected.

There was a lot of chatter by the media yesterday that New Orleans was trying to trade up. I think most expected them to grab a QB. So I guess for once, the media was right and it wouldn't surprise me if Gunt or one of the Packer reps spent quite a bit of time on the phone with the Saints yesterday.
gute saw the shiny piece of glass and was hypnotized.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
not talking about matthews and perry. ilb, safety, are weak points. the only thing in the middle of the field that's good is dt. the middle is vulnerable. that's why the james miss is so frustrating.
it's all about who's on the field! if your D sucks and you don't replace the problems, the D is STILL going to suck. who have we replaced to this point? burnett with jones, randall for williams, dial for wilkerson, rollins/pipkins for alexander? that's no improvement at all. a different guy yelling at them might help, but we don't know. lol

Pettine for capers is a plus
Wilkerson is for Lowry and the Lowry for dial is a big plus
Jones/Brice for Burnett is a loss
Williams for Randall is a plus
Alexander for whoever we were throwing out at slot is a big plus.

Martinez and Ryan graded out as top 20 ilb by PFF. While I don't think Ryan was that good I definitely think Martinez has worked his way into being an above average starter with room to grow. I would be good with someone to push Ryan

This defense won't be top ten. But with a new scheme and new blood there is zero reason to think they can't be a decent amount better. So much will depend on injuries because our margin for error isn't great.

gbgary

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Martinez and Ryan graded out as top 20 ilb by PFF. While I don't think Ryan was that good I definitely think Martinez has worked his way into being an above average starter with room to grow. I would be good with someone to push Ryan

This defense won't be top ten. But with a new scheme and new blood there is zero reason to think they can't be a decent amount better. So much will depend on injuries because our margin for error isn't great.
pettine a plus. like i said, a different guy yelling at them might help. the rest is a big ball of meh imo.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
gute saw the shiny piece of glass and was hypnotized.
I don't think so. I think he saw his small group of what the Packers consider elite players gone and decided to go with plan B or maybe it was plan A all along? I know some like James over JA, but considering James was selected only one spot ahead of JA, I don't think the NFL scouts were quite as high on him as some of the media and fans were.

OP
OP
Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score

Toss in Biegel and Adams both hopefully being healthy and your depth just got better too.

Firethorn1001

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gotta think that with them kicking the tires on WRs in the off season and their success with WRs in the 2nd round that that seems like the logical choice in round 2. I think they will get back into the back half of the 3rd round.