Practice Roster Moves

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I still think Dexter lands somewhere on a PS after a workout somewhere. He is a decent depth reserve RB

I just don't see that....maybe midseason when the pickings are slim....but look at all the available FA RB's for teams to choose from.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just don't see that....maybe midseason when the pickings are slim....but look at all the available FA RB's for teams to choose from.

Eliminate a bunch off that list as they are not signing to be on a PS. Dexter would be. Saying he is a guy for a PS is not the same as saying he is better or would/should be signed before anyone on that list.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just like we didn't pick Chris Blair to sign for PS over Larry Fitzgerald or John Brown or Golden Tate

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Eliminate a bunch off that list as they are not signing to be on a PS. Dexter would be. Saying he is a guy for a PS is not the same as saying he is better or would/should be signed before anyone on that list.
Right and I didn't go through it very carefully, but I would wager to guess that him being a 3rd year guy, probably is at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to carries/receptions/snaps when compared to other vets. Just not enough data on him and the little that there is, isn't very good. He reminds me of Darrius Shepherd a bit. A guy that for some reason Packer fans have latched onto and think should be playing in the NFL, I just don't see it.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Larry Fitzgerald or John Brown or Golden Tate
Not really good examples, since those guys are going to cost a team a lot more, as well as they are going to be a bit more selective of what team they sign for, if they want to keep playing. I also doubt any of them sign to be put on a PS.

Dexter is an UDFA that in 3 years never showed he could play in the NFL. If he had been in the Atlanta Falcon system, hardly a Packer fan even knows who the guy is.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Right and I didn't go through it very carefully, but I would wager to guess that him being a 3rd year guy, probably is at the bottom of the barrel when it comes to carries/receptions/snaps when compared to other vets. Just not enough data on him and the little that there is, isn't very good. He reminds me of Darrius Shepherd a bit. A guy that for some reason Packer fans have latched onto and think should be playing in the NFL, I just don't see it.

Some may have, but I've never thought for a second he is a 53 roster guy - he is however the very type of RB I like to keep handy on PS for injuries. Taylor just happens to be that guy for us this year, second year guy in the system (despite injured much of last year) and shows promise. Dexter has had his test here and just didn't show enough to choose over Taylor for PS.

Reaction score
I still think Dexter lands somewhere on a PS after a workout somewhere. He is a decent depth reserve RB
I know he had a slow start 5-11 yards (rookie season) and then injured early in hid Sophmore campaign (2020)
This season he bounced back and showed improvement. He had a nice sample size at 4.8 per. He also had a pair of nice returns there for 53 yards.

Just throwing ideas around in my head.. Ben Sirmans said Williams looked drastically improved beginning his 3rd season. But the reality is the 4th RB gets very little time in an Offense unless there are multiple injuries. Special Teams value comes into play and I didn’t hear much spoken to that. Also his receiving game left something to be desired.
They likely saw Taylor as a more well rounded athlete and possibly a slightly higher ceiling (they may have considered ST value also)

That said, it is true @tynimiller that NFL players go through lots of roster gyrations and often either end up on other teams ST or back on their original team when an injury happens (just review Dexters history alone) They appear, they disappear, they appear and voila, they get their chance. Not that I want that, but injured RB’s are part of this sport and he’s likely 1 injury away from a team promoting him to their practice squad. Either they or another fringe RB gets suspended or underperforms. There’s always a place for a hard working, gradually improving RB in the NFL, especially if they already have a few years experience and are fully healthy. IMO he didn’t do anything drastic to hurt his stock either, which is huge. Had he pulled a Colt Lyerla totally different story.

That same sentiment goes for Reggie @WR he’s likely the higher grades of the 2 imo. I won’t be shocked to see him on another team in the near future.
I wish them both Godspeed

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
:roflmao: Modern technology.....I see reports of the Packers signing most of their practice squad already and I don't think they technically can until 3 pm today?

GB Practice Squad:

QB Kurt Benkert
TE Bronson Kaufusi
RB Patrick Taylor
WR ESB
WR Chris Blair
WR Juwann Winfree
OL Colt Van Lanen

OL Jacob Capra
OL Ben Braden

DL Willington Previlon
DL Abdullah Anderson
ILB Ray Wilborn

OLB Tipa Galeai
CB Kabion Ento
S Innis Gaines

K JJ Molson
I saw Previlon is gone, replaced by a long-snapper Steven Wirtel, an undrafted free agent from Iowa State.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I saw Previlon is gone, replaced by a long-snapper Steven Wirtel, an undrafted free agent from Iowa State.
Smart move to have a long snapper on the PS in case ours shows inconsistencies like last year.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember when Kurt Benkert had a good half and he was declared the QB2 who couldn't be cut because he would be claimed?

Heck, I remember when some fans wanted Devante Adams cut so that Jeff Janis could take his place.

Beware of small sample sizes.

Members online

Latest posts