Power Rankings

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.realsport101.com/nfl-pow...-new-england-fall-out-of-top-3-after-week-13/ - anyone got an easy to understand explanation for a UK based NFL fan as to how Power Rankings actually works?

Is it an imparital thing? or is there a genuine scale?

They are usually completely subjective and somewhat arbitrary. Eyeball tests basically. This one is just a composite of 8 different guys' eyeball tests.

You maybe thought the 2 letter categories were metrics of some sort, but they're just dudes' name initials lol.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Power rankings are part statistics and part beauty contest. One could argue that they factor in some of the intangibles that you don't get from just looking at the statistical standings, but in the end, statistical standings are the only thing to determine division winners and playoff seedings. Power rankings don't get you into the playoffs and they don't predict the future.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Power rankings are part statistics and part beauty contest. One could argue that they factor in some of the intangibles that you don't get from just looking at the statistical standings, but in the end, statistical standings are the only thing to determine division winners and playoff seedings. Power rankings don't get you into the playoffs and they don't predict the future.

While this is true, I think you could argue points... Like the Seahawks are beginning to look quite scary regardless of their record, Pittsburghs offense is HOLY #@%@ good. Even though they may not make the playoffs. If they do though, they could put up 50 on someone.

I personally do see some use for the common fan out of power rankings. Though they are very subjective, like most people have Carolina as #1 and regardless of their record I don't for a second believe they are the best team in the league in general.

To me, it's fun and sparks debate.

Voltron

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Power rankings are meaningless, it changes too often to be reliable. Its just a guess game. They predicted Seahawks would easily run away with all at the beggining of the season along with the Colts. Its no different than getting your predictions from First Take..... Anyone notice that Skip and Stephen both have increased the use of "I reserve the right to chnge my mind" since they have been wrong so often.

Members online

Latest posts