Postgame: Packers 49, Broncos 23

Travis Duncan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Photo by Icon Sports Media

By Travis Duncan

Aaron Rodgers played one of the best games of his career Sunday afternoon at Lambeau Field, leading the Packers to a 49-23 victory over the Denver Broncos.

"It was as fine of a quarterback performance as I have been apart of said," said coach Mike McCarthy who has witnessed NFL performances as a coach since 1993.

With the Broncos playing man coverage, it opened up lanes for Rodgers to use his legs, totaling nine carries for 36 yards rushing, sprinting across the goaline twice for two scores.

Rodgers passed for a regular season career-high 408 yards. He threw touchdowns to four receivers, Jordy Nelson (50-yds 2:08 first quarter) Greg Jennings (17-yds 0:24 second quarter) James Jones (16-yds 1:12 third quarter) and finally Donald Driver (8-yd 7:46 fourth quarter).

Rodgers is the first player in NFL history to throw for more than 400 yards, pass for four touchdowns and rush for two touchdowns in a single game.

Was it his best game?

"I don't know, I am disappointed about the interception," Rodgers said.

Can this offense be stopped?

"Anything can be stopped," Rodgers explained. "Their main focus was stopping Jermicheal [Finely] (who had 3 TDs last week, but three receptions this week on six targets without a toudown). "Every time [Finley] split out they made sure they had a guy high and a guy low."

"It felt a little funny starting out," Rodgers continued. "I thought our tempo was a little bit slower than we would like. It didn't feel like we were going to put up 40-points in offense. But if we continue to be patient there's going to be opportunities."

The Packers finished 9-for-13 on third-downs, and totaled 507 yards of offense. The team has scored 148 points in a four games, a franchise record.

Replacing the injured Ryan Grant at running back, James Starks carried the ball 13 times for 63 yards and caught five passes for 38 yards.

The Packers are 4-0 and appear to have an unstoppable offense at this point in the season.

Defensively the Packers' secondary showed weakness at times in the ability to cover Broncos WR Brandon Lloyd who caught the ball eight times for 136 yards but was shoutout of the endzone. Broncos running back Willis McGahee carried the ball 15 times for 103 yards but was also kept out of the endzone.

"It's been a great weekend for Wisconsin sports, we held up our end of the bargain, hopefully the Brewers can win" added McCarthy shortly before asking the media for a score update on the Brewers-Diamondbacks MLB playoff game.

Up next week for the Packers are the 2-2 Atlanta Falcons. A Sunday night game in Atlanta kicking off at 7:20 CT.

Members online

Latest posts