Post-Game thoughts?

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Oline looked improved a LOT compared to last week. Thats all I really care about....how about you guys?

The Packers looked much better. Moll at G was an excellent move. the packers rushed the ball more effectivley than the first game. Greg Jennings and Donald driver looked awesome together, and Fergie is a solid #3 WR.

I liked how culver recovered from giving up two big passing plays by getting an int on M. Vick.

I liked how the defence created many turn-overs to make this victory so lopsided.

I liked seeing our kicker kick the ball into the endzone on kickoffs.

I liked seeing A.J. Hawk being agreesive, and making big hits, and covering TE down the feild.

I liked that rookie running back Beach

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Ultimately there was a lack of front 4 combined rush if you want to put it like that. A lack of collapsing the pocket just leads to KGB and Kamp being more ineffective.

I totally agree. I wonder if montgomery may unseed KGB as starter on 1st & 2nd down.

This is the weakest spot on GB. The pass rush from the front four. If the only way you get to the qb is on blitzes, the Packers are leaving themselves wide open for big plays.

I'm not a big fan of KGB nor Kampman, but its the best we got. I'd like to see Peterson or Montgomery step up and push KGB for a starter position. I haven't heard anything about Peterson, he will probably be cut.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said,

I think Favre looked sharp overall. Lil things here and there, but its obvious thus far at least in game situations he isnt the same QB from last season

Cory, Do you mean he's "unlost" it, or has he gotten better in one year, even though he's gotten 1 year older?

Or is it perhaps that he has somewhat of a team around him this year?

I'm confused, I thought the consensus here was that he lost it, and that he isn't the same player that he used to be based upon last year's performance or, in other words, you know, he's washed up?

A has been.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TomAllen said:
Cory said,

think Favre looked sharp overall. Lil things here and there, but its obvious thus far at least in game situations he isnt the same QB from last season

Do you mean he "unlost" it, or has he gotten better in one year even though he's gotten 1 year older?

Or is it perhaps that he has somewhat of a team around him this year?

I'm confused, I thought the consensus here was that he lost it, and that he isn't the same player that he used to be based upon last year's performance or, in other words, you know, he's washed up?

A has been.

Well, Tom, I too have seen those words come from peoples mouths, but I can assure that was never my position on Brett Favre. He did make alot of mistakes last year and I do have my own theories as to why, but the mistakes have to be recognized either way.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
who...said that?

I think the consensus was he made bad decisions last year considering he had no WRs and no Oline to make some of the choices he did, not that he lost it.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
who...said that?

I think the consensus was he made bad decisions last year considering he had no WRs and no Oline to make some of the choices he did, not that he lost it.

I have only been on this board a day so I have no idea what the consensus opinion around here is on Brett. I do read quite often, though, other places that many feel brett's time is done. IMO, he hasn't lost that much as a player. He just now feels the aches and pains more than he used to.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Cory said:
tromadz said:
who...said that?

I have only been on this board a day so I have no idea what the consensus opinion around here is on Brett. I do read quite often, though, other places that many feel brett's time is done. IMO, he hasn't lost that much as a player. He just now feels the aches and pains more than he used to.

Some can be objective about his mistakes, others say he's become Anthony Dilweg with a stronger arm.

Bottom line. The consensus is there is no consensus here.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
who...said that?

I'll go you one better Trom, he made the only decisions he could last year because the whole season was FUTILE!

My beef is that many posters here don't seem to understand that and want to pin the bad season last year on Favre's decision making, as if the Packers would have had a chance at something, like the playoffs, if it wasn't for Favre's decision making.

That is laughable and just dead wrong.

Marino would have made the same decisions with the same outcome if he were on that Packer team.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
gunslinger mentality + bad Oline and no WRs = Brett Favres 2005 stats

In my view you need to add "no coaching" to that equation. One thing I noticed in this preseason is that no matter how good or bad things go for Favre he is usually on the bench with the other QBs(at least when hes playing at the time) going over photos of the defense to see something he didnt see last time. I may be wrong, but I never saw that happening under Mike Sherman. It seemd to be that MS seemed to baby Brett a little too much because of his status in GB.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:
pyle sure is quiet.

Quiet? I already posted in here buddy. Trying to stir the pot again. I gave my assessment of the game honestly, unlike you.

Notice I didn't come in here and say - PRESEASON WEEK 2 over and over again. They played decent, line looked better but if you think that will cut it come opening week forget it. If they took away those quick routes Favre would have been dead again. All in All Moll looked to be the answer, which SOMEONE predicted along time ago while guys like you laughed. Sure changed your toon pretty fast

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Packnic said:
pyle sure is quiet.

Quiet? I already posted in here buddy. Trying to stir the pot again. I gave my assessment of the game honestly, unlike you.

Notice I didn't come in here and say - PRESEASON WEEK 2 over and over again. They played decent, line looked better but if you think that will cut it come opening week forget it. If they took away those quick routes Favre would have been dead again. All in All Moll looked to be the answer, which SOMEONE predicted along time ago while guys like you laughed. Sure changed your toon pretty fast

I would say they played better than decent. They played well. Not perfect, but the only game close to perfect that I've ever seen was the Packers whipping the Saints 52-3 last season. The improvement fom SD to this game is pretty impressive. Will it continue? I sure hope so, but we'll see. I would at least like to be competitive against Cincinatti next week. What do you mean if they took away the quick route? First, thats a major staple in the WCO. Secondly, it's good strategy to not get your QB killed while the Oline gels and adjusts.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My thoughts on Saturdays game.

01. It’s amazing how well Brett can still play(all the talking head experts had him dead and buried) when he is given just a little time to execute the play.

02. Kudos to MM for calling the reverse and letting Brett have some fun getting out in front and throw one of his famous rolling blocks!!! It was good to see Brett smile again.

03. The O-line was much improved, looks like they are beginning to get it. I’m hoping the improvement continues through the regular season.

04. The running game needs to improve, hopefully Ahman Green coming back this next week will help, Davenport is a grind it out kind of guy that is going to get you some tough needed yards but won’t be the flashy break it all the way rb, that said just the threat of a running game is all Brett needs to get the air game going.

05. Although risky, I like the fact that MM has the 1st teams playing the whole first half and into the 3rd quarter, this team has many young players and is running a new offense, the more plays together the quicker they will gel.

06. DD is still DD, he is Brett’s go to guy and looked in mid-season form. Greg Jennings looks like he may make most forget who Javon Walker was. He took a pretty nasty hit on the one quick slant over the middle and it didn’t seem to bother him at all, Ferguson is looking like he is getting back to being the steady guy he was before he was clotheslined a couple of years ago, nothing flashy but a dependable guy to go to. Rogers needs to learn how to catch a punted ball again or he could end up on the practice squad, Ruvel Martin should stay before Gardner and Boerigter.

07. Why is KGB still in there on running plays? There are young guys who showed last week that they can handle the running game better, get KGB in on passing plays, where he is best, the other bonus is that he will stay fresh as the game goes on.

08. AJ Hawk is proving he deserved to be the #5 pick in the draft, much improved in the pass defense area after only 1 week, and showed that he can cover sideline to sideline on run defense.

09. Db’s played a solid game, seems like the whole defense needs to get ready to play quicker, they have given up a td on the opening drive in both games.

10. Rayner has a strong leg, but needs a little more hang time on kick-offs, he really hasn’t been tested on a long fg attempt, let’s hope he is as accurate as he is long.

11. Ryan can’t be dropping the ball on punts, Sander, IMHO, took the lead in the punting competition over the weekend.

12. Aaron Rodgers is leaps and bounds ahead of last year, Brett can't play forever(dammit), looks like A-Rod will be ready to step in when the time comes.

Just my thoughts, this thread has a lot of interesting reads, thanks to everyone for all the input.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great Post Buckeye,

I wholeheartedly agree. Especially with #1.

Buckeye said,
It’s amazing how well Brett can still play(all the talking head experts had him dead and buried) when he is given just a little time to execute the play.

"When given a little time to execute the play". Not because of "bad decision making" or a "gunslinger mentality."

But when given the time to execute, the play to execute, and the personnel to execute, Favre is still one of the best. (and that includes Manning and Brady).

Now maybe we can put an end to this "decision making" argument.

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some one mentioned it earlier and I'll bring it up again. Is the kicker supposed to kick the ball into the endzone on kickoffs? I haven't seen that is so long at Lambeau that I thought it was illegal. So that part of our kicking game has definately improved!

I don't think our front four on D are getting enough pressure. They held the pocket well against Vick, but I tink we need to have more straight up pressure. This is the weakest level on D in my opinion. Montegomery looked solid, but that was against backups. someone already said that KGB doesn't get off a block well enough and that's true. He should be a passing-only speed rusher.

Beach looked good running the ball.

I don't think Woodson looked that good. He had his guys covered but gave up a few passes. He's good, but nothing to rave about.

Vonte Leach, CATCH THE FREAKIN BALL!

Hodge is better than Taylor.

Davenport needs to lower the boom more often. When he's low he's hot, when he's up, he's not.

Brett looked great (and's coming from one of the top Favre critics on this board, that's saying something). Good decisions, good audibles. My only complaint there was he held the ball too long in the end zone, but that was good practice for the young guys. I would liked to have seen more of the field during that scramble play to see who quit and who didn't.

QUIT WITH THE EMPTY BACKFIELD!

There were a number of running plays where a defender got right through our zone blocking and that bothers me to watch. I thought that zone blocking was about gaining atleast something on every play. I know that they are young and learning, but that's an o-lin concern.

Henderson missed a few key blocks and that shocked me. I love this guy. If I could have any Packer over for dinner, it would be him.

Jennings... thank you god.

And oh, were those Packer cheerleaders I saw on TV? Good lord, we've got nothing on the Dolphins cheerleaders. Shameful.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Timmons said:
I don't think our front four on D are getting enough pressure. They held the pocket well against Vick, but I tink we need to have more straight up pressure. This is the weakest level on D in my opinion. Montegomery looked solid, but that was against backups. someone already said that KGB doesn't get off a block well enough and that's true. He should be a passing-only speed rusher.

I would like to see more pressure from the starting D-line as well, but keep in mind that against Vick you have to think contain first and pressure second. Otherwise Vick will escape from the pocket and absolutely kill you.

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm surprised that no one mentioned our Pass D that much. Our Pass D was not that great. Yes we got some INT's but that was more luck than design. Yes some were off tips, but they were badly thrown balls. The Falcons could have passed their way into the endzone all night but chose to work on other areas of their game. It sure looked like Kurt Shottenheimer has turned this secondary into our secondary of 2 years ago. Players out of position and not hitting the receivers off the line. If you're going to play man to man then it is imperative to throw the receiver off with a good hit right off the line. They didn't. While our O looked really good and the OL totally improved over last week I think the weak link this week was our Pass D. Granted this is Preseason but, overall, the Pass D and our ST's need alot of work. Kick/Punt coverage is shaky and Kick/punt return is down right nerve racking. I'm stoked to see the improvement over last week, but I'm glad we have 2 more preseason games left to work on the Pass D and ST.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
All in All Moll looked to be the answer, which SOMEONE predicted along time ago

Bravo, you did say that. Nice call. :thumbsup:
Yet TT is a horrible GM that can't draft. You are a walking paradox.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:

Found some comments about Moll.

Posted: Wed May 10, 2006 3:53 am
pyledriver80 said:
First off to say that I am a nay-sayer is wrong. I just don't believe Colledge, Spitz or Moll will have a solid first year. May they have productive careers, possibly, but not this year IMO.When you run a zone-blocking scheme you must do it right or it's a giant mess.

Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:04 am
pyledriver80 said:
Honestly fromwhat I have read Moll may be the best at the actual "block phase' of this system. I know everybody wants to paint a rosey picture and I wish I could feel as confident as some of you but I just don't see it. I have nightmares thinking about a zone-blocking scheme getting blown up. It's very ugly.

Posted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:43 pm
porky88 said:
Green Bay's worse pick was Tony Moll the OT. I thought he'd go undrafted.

Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:24 am
pyledriver80 said:
I know its early but I'm bored, so what the hell

QB's - Favre, Rodgers, Martin
RB's - Green,Davenport,Gado,Herron
FB's - Henderson, Leach
C - Wells, White,Davis
OG - Coston,Colledge,Spitz, Whittacker
OT - Tauscher, Clifton, Moll
TE - Franks, Lee, Martin
WR - Driver,Gardner,Boerighter,Rodgers,Jennings
DE - Biamila, Kampman,Montgomery,Peterson
DT - Pickett, Jenkins, Cole, Williams
LB - Hawk,Taylor,Barnett,Hodge, Manning, Poppinga
CB - Harris,Woodson,Carroll,Hawkins,Horton,Blackmon
S - Roman,Manual,Collins,Underwood
P - Sander
K - Cundiff

Posted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:01 pm

pyledriver80 said:
digsthepack said:
Moll looked very good in his first stint. Favre looked sharp as a tack...that bullet to Driver over the middle was a thing of beauty. My guess is this game got the attention of everyone who thinks we will be bottom dwellers this year.

I really disagree with this statement. It's funny how week 1 was supposed to be forgot about yet pre-season week 2 GRABS everyones attention. The Pack looked alot better BUT you can use the same excuses that you used for GB in week 1 for Atl. in week 2.

Seems to me Brett took it upon himself to audible at the LOS to a 3-Step drop when he knew he was going to get pressured.

jus some comments from a couple members

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kmac said:
pyledriver80 said:

Bravo, you did say that. Nice call. :thumbsup:
Yet TT is a horrible GM that can't draft. You are a walking paradox.

Did I say Moll was going to be an All-Pro? I stated of the 3, Moll was the best suited to step right in. You seem confused buddy.

I gave TT credit for Collins, does that mean he is GREAT? No, he seems to me to be an average drafter at best. I disagree when people say he is some kind of genuis. So I guess to you that 1 player starting means that I am supposed to think TT is a genuis.

Man, Kmac you really seem to twist things around to try to attack me. Thats funny. Please show me one other poster on this board that said Moll was the best fit? Better yet, show me where you said Moll was the best fit? You, like everyone else, were to busy bashing me cause I was hating Colledge. Quit piggybacking people and grow a spine.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I gave TT credit for Collins, does that mean he is GREAT? No, he seems to me to be an average drafter at best. I disagree when people say he is some kind of genuis. So I guess to you that 1 player starting means that I am supposed to think TT is a genuis.

I don't really know how one can judge TT as a drafter yet. Especially since he had to run one with the former GM/present at the time HC in his vey first draft. I can't imagine that would make it any easier.

I think his first draft is better then what you give it credit for but that's just me. You have to take into considering the amount of players hurt in his very first draft. It's not really his fault that Murphy hurt his neck or that Poppinga tore up his knee. Both were looking like they had potential last year. Aaron Rogers is looking good and is our future QB. Marviel Underwood was looking really good before his injury. Montgomery is doing very well as a DE. That's really not bad for a first draft. Especially considering how many of them got injured.

Members online

Latest posts