Post-Game thoughts?

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oline looked improved a LOT compared to last week. Thats all I really care about....how about you guys?

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well I thought the Defense looked awesome making interceptions and some great tackles

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thats true. they sounded improved. and i read they were improved from other sources!

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, like last week we have to remember that it's preseason, but I felt better about the offensive line. I can't wait to see Green next week. The defense looked good at times tonight.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
when green plays I'm sure he'll do better then Davenport, but I'd like to see more of this Beach at runningback.

Tylaa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I loved the defense. I think they finally lived up to what there capable too. The offense looked alot better too they actually got the ball down the field. But I gotta give the games hand down to the defense. They were nearly perfect after the 1st quarter.

Great job pack

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here are my thoughts

It looked like a new team playing out there tonight. Atlanta started fast and scored. Outside of that it was all Green Bay.

I think we found our 5 starters for our offensive line. The 1st team looked much better. They can still get better but overall this was a huge improvement from last week. You actually saw blocks made on the replays and you actually were able too see Favre stand back and make throws.

Favre played great. He read blitzes. He was quick to get rid of the ball. He didn't throw into double coverage. Physically no doubt he still can play. Mentally I questioned. His decision making was bad last year. So far Favre has been nothing but solid throughout this pre season in his reads and his accuracy. If he keeps it up then Marino won’t be the all time TD leader at the end of December. Hopefully he can.

Greg Jennings welcome to the NFL. Great play by the safety. After that he came on and is proven too be a huge upgrade in the slot compared to Antonio Chatman. He'll be starting by mid season unless Fergy comes along. Fergy looked the part tonight. made a couple of nice catches. Hopefully Jennings is pushing him. It'll only make them better. Gardner is our #4 WR. We can take that much from this game. I don’t think he played with the 1st team. The top 3 I think are set in stone. 2 way race for #2 now in my opinion. Driver is a legit #1. Enough of GB doesn't have a receiver. Yes, Walker was great but he was never the go to guy. Driver always was and is.

Charles Woodson overall played solid. Got a nice look at him and he definitely looks like he'll be a great corner if he can stay healthy. He blankets the receivers and the best part is he is always in position too make the play. Only allowed one pass his way today I believe. Ahmad Carroll has made huge strides from year 2 to year 3. He looks like he'll hold down that nickel back spot find.

AJ Hawk was solid again. Played well in the pass and made some nice hits. Always around the ball. He's penciled in as the starter. Ben Taylor didn't look that great though. He made some nice plays but I saw him get lost in the blocks a lot. He better step up when Poppinga returns or he'll be a backup. I’m going to watch more of him when I replay the game.

Aaron Rodgers is looking much better. Even if the ball wasn't tipped (TD to Jennings) it was heading right to the wide open lane and would of likely hit Jennings in stride. Jennings made the adjustment and took it too the house. I'm warming up too Rodgers but he needs to keep it up.

Play calling looked good. Still only 2 pre season games so you can't take much but overall I like how McCarthy called this game. GB looked very prepared for Atlanta. Totally opposite from a week ago.

Overall great game. The running game was there. The line was there. The offense played well. The Defense didn't look pretty at times but ultimately did their jobs. Thought the one series for Favre in the 3rd quarter was unnecessary. It's only pre season so we it's too early to dub "The Pack is Back" BUT the Pack is certainly in the right direction compared too last week.

Passing Defense B+

Running Defense B-

Overall Defense B

Passing Offense A

Rushing Offense B

Overall Offense B+

Team Overall B+

Overall nice week. Let's look for improvement on the 2nd string line next week. I think the Week 1 starters are probably set. Still some work but you have too be feeling better about these younger guys.

Reaction score
Courtesy PackerLegend:

PackerLegend said:
Well the game just got over and it looked like a whole new team. The O-Line looked like another team compared to last week. Favre, Driver, And Jennings all I can say is wow. I know i know it is only preseason but the pack looked like a differnt team and they came out and played with more fire then they did last week.

Packers Passing

Favre 16 of 22, 134 Yards and 2 TDs The O-line helped Favre out and gave him time to pass and they looked better. I thought he played a little long going into the first series of the 3rd quarter.

Rodgers 3-6 111 Yards and 2 TDs Now before you say thats only 50% Vonta Leach dropped 2 very catchable balls and i thought Rodgers looked good again he did have one fumble when he started to run and did a pump fake the ball just slipped out.

Thats all Ingle Martin, Brian Wrobel didnt see any action at all.

Packers Rushing

Arliss Beach 9 Att, 50 yards he didnt play againist 1st or maybe 2 string but i thought he put on a nice show trying to make the team.

Najeh Davenport 11 Att 29 Yards He showed power on some plays but wasnt really playing to what he could also had a nice TD catch from Favre when he was left wide open in the endzone

Noah Herron 7 Att 23 yards He played Well I Thought and on one play really hit the hole and was gone for 10 yards fast.

No Gado No Green

Packers Recieving

Greg Jennings 3 rec, 115 Yards 1 TD, Long 85 Wow Wow Wow He looked great

Donald Driver 7 Rec 91 Yards, 0 TD, Long 16 Donald was all over the field catching everything that came his way and he looked amazing

Robert Ferguson 2 Rec, 21 yards 0 TD Not much to say caught the balls that were thrown his way

Bubba Franks 2 Rec, 8 Yards, 1 TD caught a tip by David Martin In the end zone

David Martin Hmm not impressed Dropped balls tipped ball in the endzone that was a little high but got lucky when Bubba caught it for the TD

Packers Defense

Tyrone Culver 5 Tackles, 1 int looked good started game no manuel made an int that was a little over thrown by vick

Nick Collins 4 Tackles Played into almost the 4th quarter!! because we dont have enough Safties without manuel and underwood almost had an int

Ahmad Carrol 3 Tackles, 1 Sack flew over on a play and brought the Qb down no penaltys and didnt get burned

Johnny Jolley 2 Tackles, 1 Sack, 1 int caught a ball that was tipped in the air he looked good wearing old gravediggers #93

Micheal Montgomery 2 Tackles, 2 Sacks Back to back sacks had himself a nice little game

Jason Horton 1 Tackel, 1 int returned 46 yards for a td

AJ Hawk looked much better againist the pass and really hit some people

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
Porky, care to give me your view on Moll?

From what I saw from watching the game once so far was that Moll looks like he can play guard and is in the right spot. Colledge looked out of place last week. Like he should be playing tackle. (err I hate too agree with Havel)

Moll always was more technique. He played TE most of his college career so inexperience was a concern but it looks like he‘s caught on too the system better than Colledge and faster than what the coaches and myself included thought.

He looks like he has cut blocking down pat. He threw at least 2 nice one's. He did get pushed back early on when Favre was scrambling but outside of that, Moll held his own against a very solid front 7 in Atlanta. No doubt Moll and the entire line in general exceeded expectations of everyone.

This will likely be your starting offensive line Week 1. Colledge will probably get moved back to LT and play with the 2nd team. Coston will probably be moved back to RG and play with the 2nd team. Whitticker will be your RT on the 2nd team if he gets on the field White will be our backup Center. We still need too find one more guard to backup Spitz. I expect Thompson to find one who gets released in the final cut downs.

You have too be happy with everyone on the line. Like zero said in his thread, Atlanta's Defense is very good and goes against the zone scheme in practice. They see it and know it. From what we saw, the Packers O-line held their own and didn't allow a sack.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Porky said,
Favre played great. He read blitzes. He was quick to get rid of the ball. He didn't throw into double coverage. Physically no doubt he still can play. Mentally I questioned. His decision making was bad last year. So far Favre has been nothing but solid throughout this pre season in his reads and his accuracy. If he keeps it up then Marino won’t be the all time TD leader at the end of December. Hopefully he can.

C'mon Porky.

Marino would have sucked last year if he was on that Packer team. Give the guy a break will ya'?

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TomAllen said:
Porky said,

C'mon Porky.

Marino would have sucked last year if he was on that Packer team. Give the guy a break will ya'?

Stop overreacting. I didn't say one bad thing about Favre's play tonight.

I said and quote...
If he keeps it up then Marino won’t be the all time TD leader at the end of December.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You people should forget about last year as far as Favre's concerned. That's the point. The whole damn team was horrible.

Things, I hope, are looking up this year. You shouldn't be pinning last year on Favre, that's all.

I'm tired of hearing crap from Packer fans that Favre has "lost it", and that he's "done", and not the same QB he used to be.

He looked pretty damn good tonight now, didn't he?

Reaction score
I don't think porky was. I think last year, and even TT and Favre would agree, was a year in which Favre should have toned down his agressive nature a bit. He didn't and made a lot of questionable plays. I think porky was implying that McCarthy seems to have settled Favre down, and Favre in turn is making the right decisions for such a young team without a true #2 playmaker.

No one, especially porky, is saying Favre has lost it right now. He was saying that this Favre is a whole lot better for this system than the (no)run-n-gun Favre that appeared last year.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry AADP, but in my opinion that is total ********!

The team sucked, that is all. No receivers, No O-line, No Run game.

How many times do we have to go over this? Now you're giving McCarthy all the props for Favre doing what he's done for the last 15 years---being Favre?

As I said, Marino would have sucked on that Packer team last year!

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was very pleased with the surprising quick turn around of our "whole" team after last week. Let's keep it up boys. GO PACK GO !!!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
No one, especially porky, is saying Favre has lost it right now. He was saying that this Favre is a whole lot better for this system than the (no)run-n-gun Favre that appeared last year.

Yep that's exactly what I was saying.

You definitely can't blame just Favre. I never did blame Favre. In my article on the page, I said it started with the front office, went right to the coaching, and right too the players. Everyone has some fault. Favre shouldn't get a free pass but he shouldn't be ripped apart by the media like some have done.

I never even compared Favre to Marino. I said if Favre continues to keep up this type of play, Marino will not be the all time TD leader in December. 25 TD's is what Favre needs and from what I have seen, he looks good. McCarthy certainly deserves some credit for that but ultimately it's Favre's play on the field and his decision making that has improved. It all comes back to Favre. So far he's well prepared for this season and like I said, if he keeps it up he’ll be holding a very prestigious record at the end of the year.

Reaction score
I see where you are coming from TA, and my views are a tad different.

I think it was all a cycle, where things just fuled each other. I agree with you about the lack of o-line and run game, but IMO last year Favre was frustrated. Heck even Marino would be. Ditto Elway. With the (lack of) quality of the team due to injuries, Favre and to a lesser extent DD were responsible for making things happen.

Favre played like he did with Walker, which was to make a solid throw in the area where Walker could have gone up, over the defender, and got the ball with his great hands. No one could match that last year, and ultimately Favre shouldn't have done that as much. He was forced to at times, I know, but I think he was throwing it up there because of frustration due to them being behind and having nothing working for them.

Yes he needed to throw to give them a chance of winning, but I think a part of Favre knew inside it was hopeless. He tried a little too hard, and that competitive edge in him got the best of him.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TomAllen said:
Now you're giving McCarthy all the props for Favre doing what he's done for the last 15 years---being Favre?

As I said, Marino would have sucked on that Packer team last year!

Whats with the Favre-defending....when nobody said anything close to negative about the man. Very pack66-like.

Members online

Latest posts