Post-Game thoughts?

Reaction score
TomAllen said:
66?

You mean Niestchke?

haha, Actually I meant p@ck66, a banned member who only knew one way to think:

"(Enter name here of coach/player/yourself if you disagreed with him) is the devil!"

You aren't him, by any means. (That is the best compliment I can ever give out, seriously) :)

LambeauEast

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, post game thoughts.

1. Scott Wells has that center position NAILED down...case closed. (Flanny who?)

2. Jennings IS the real deal....let's go ask Javon why he just sprinted off the field in the Broncos game against the Titans.

3. Culver being a rookie made rookie mistakes, but all in all, was where he needed to be and doing what he needs to do.

4. Favre to Driver...MONEY!

5. Oh, and the Packer Forum chat room REEEAAALLY messes with my comp...anyone know why that might be?

6. And my last, but certainly not least point is that (say it with me Tro)...the Hawk has landed!!

rob836

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LambeauEast said:
2. Jennings IS the real deal....let's go ask Javon why he just sprinted off the field in the Broncos game against the Titans.

I saw that too. You think he was hurt?

yooperfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great review porkster.
I totally agree with your grades this week.
I was fairly impressed with Moll in his 1st shot at starting guard.

Seeing Clifton with ice wrapped on both knees makes me a little nervous.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Chad Clifton is one of the keys to the O-Line so I hope to see him healthy real soon

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This was a fun game to watch--the first real evidence that the Packers may have a decent team this season. I'm glad I taped it so I can watch it again.

I agree with most of what's been written in this thread, and I especially enjoyed porky's take on the game. Here are some of my own thoughts:

Favre looks razor-sharp. Rodgers looks pretty good too, except for the fumble and the lousy screen pass, which could've been caught by Leach, but Rodgers made it way harder than it should've been. (Rodgers threw a perfect one later, which Leach also dropped.)

Donald Driver (a.k.a. Driver #1) absolutely killed the Falcons, especially over the middle. He may have actually made a one-handed catch of that one rocket that Favre threw him.

Greg Jennings (a.k.a. Driver #2) took another step forward. He looks and plays so much like Driver that the official scorekeepers wrongly attributed one of his catches to Driver. I can understand that. I often can't tell it's him if I don't see his number. Jennings is way ahead of where Javon Walker was as a rookie. If he doesn't win the #2 job outright, he and Fergie will rotate between #2 and #3.

The O-line was very good. I don't know if it was the changing of the guards or if they just had a better attitude. All five guys looked solid.

The #2 O-line had decent run-blocking but lousy pass blocking.

It's time to end the Najeh Davenport experiment. As a starter, I mean. He could be okay as a change-of-pace back who can push the pile, but he lacks the quickness to be a #1. People talk about his speed, but because he's so big it takes him too long to build up a head of steam. Plus I think the injuries have caused him to lose a step. Arliss Beach looked better than Davenport last night.

Another player I worry about is Ben Taylor. He's done very little. We might as well have Robert Thomas back there again. I will be watching Brady Poppinga VERY closely next week in Cincinnati.

Carroll played well, especially when he ran that guy down behind the line of scrimmage. He's a tough little guy, I'll give him that.

Hawk played well again--even better than last week. He showed great speed and awareness breaking up that pass downfield.

KGB got a couple pressures, and may have forced the bad pass that Horton intercepted. He also blew up a running play, allowing Hawk to make the tackle for a loss.

B.J. Sander's first punt was a 61-yard boomer. Later, he kicked another nice punt with good hangtime. Jon Ryan fumbled a snap in the end zone and had to let a rusher get past him before punting the ball in desperation. Guess what, folks: We may not have seen the last of B.J.

Dave Rayner can kick the ball consistently to the goal line on kickoffs, but the kicks are too low, which increases the chance of a good return. Ryan's punts also tend to be low. This is a problem.

Finally: Every tipped ball (four, by my count) fell into the hands of the Packers. Maybe this was just luck, but I prefer to think that the Packers played a heads-up game. I hope this continues.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all of you had good comments on the game and i like how you analized because i dont understand all the football talk,i do go and look at the list to understand some of it,i do know the game yesterday is preseason but what people have to realize to is that it is the vets and rookies all at once and for us some of those rookies will be starters right away so the first half of the game is like a regular season it gives hope and if specail teams can do better i think we will have a decent run this year :D

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here's my take on the game.

First off, the O-Line was anything from great but it was IMPROVED slightly. It seemed to me that Brett was able to check off everytime he read the ATL. defense and get the ball out in a 3 step drop. He looked for Driver alot and Driver made some nice grabs. Outside of the TD pass to Najeh, neither QB had much time to get rid of the ball. Moll looked raw but aggressive which was the complete opposite of Colledge.

Favre played a really good game. He was quick to get rid of the ball was decisive. Rodgers was the same and has took some major strides in the last year. He is adjusting to the speed of the game.

Davenport was Davenport. He is a tough yard guy not a 30 carry a game guy. He will get you 3-4 up the gut but is just not agile enough to cut back, and explode downhill. Beach looked decent against scrubs. Herron didn't do much and was pretty dissapointing. Leach dropping those 2 balls really hurt him BUT he had a great game blocking. He has probably surpassed Henderson as the best blocking FB on this team. Sadly, it looks like William is slowing down a little. I haven't seen William look that bad in a while. He was very inconsistent and looked confused which is something we have never seen from Big Willie.

Driver is incredible and made some nice catches and runs. Jennings looked decent but has got to make the tough catches in traffic. Fergie played well as well. Franks looked pretty good. Martin was terrible as always.

Defensively, KGB was consistent/incosistent as always. Consistent getting a pass rush, incosistent against the run. Pickett made some tackles. Williams seem to play decent and looked to be the front runner for the other DT spot. Jenkins seems incapable of playing there. He cannot get any kind of penetration and constantly gets drove back. Kampman seemed to be handled pretty easy and could not keep containment.

I saw someone questioning Ben Taylor, but he did what he is supposed to do in this system. The Strong side LB is supposed to take on the blocks allowing Barnett and Hawk to make plays. That's why he is on the strong side. He will be the first one there and account for the extra man. Barnett didn't do much but Hawk seems to be coming along. He still didn't have anything close to a standout game but he did a good job. Tracy White intrigues me a little though he likely won't make the team.

The secondary was so-so. Atlanta easily drove the ball down the field. Harris played preety well as did Woodson and Carroll but we need a safety who isn't always late. Every safety was late last night. Collins should be OK but didn't have a real strong game. Culver is always around the ball as well.

Sander looked good for once and Rayner didn't really have a chance to show anything special but he is definitely better than Cundiff.

All in All it was a decent performance. Brett played extremely SMART which helped with our lines ineffectiveness. I was still disheartened by the ease that ATL. traveled down the field with against our first team defense. The most important thing was that we showed emotion, sustaining it throughout the season is the question.

Reaction score
I agree with some things you pointed out pyle.

- Sander looked good, refreshing to see.
- Rayner has his kick offs in a line drive fashion, not enough hang time.
- Brett was smart.

Now some things I disagree with:
- The O-line got to a starting point tonight. This is something they can build on, and they looked like a capable group in time. They didn't slightly improve, they played together and as a unit. Great point to start on and build for the future, I couldn't have expected anymore from such a young inside group.

- Moll was gold. He held up his end, delivering effective cut blocks but also holding his ground, somethign Colledge struggled with. Spitz fits right in at LG, really like him for his ability to switch around. Wells is a natural leader, and will be great. These guys have got some chemistry already, and when they have more experience playing together, they will flourish. IMO the foundation of the future O-line has been found.

- Clifton is not himself. He was REALLY reluctant to throw himself at the defenders (cut block), and struggled to bend properly. Something isn't right with him, and I think it might be some seriously bad knees.

- Ferrgy looked to have taken a huge step forward. Not in terms of #2 WR, but in terms of mental toughness. He didn't seem as hesitant, and was showing burst and willingness to mix it up. Something that has been lacking post-hit from Ferggy. Hopefully this is the first step in him coming forward.

- Jennings played good. IMO he has a ton to learn still, as evident by his long touchdown, where he looked back far too often, and gave less effort (in terms of speed) as he approached the endzone.

- Pass rush is a big problem. We need more from front 4.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks for all the assessments, guys. I am glad to hear the team did not have a repeat of last week. Let's hope they continue to improve throughout the preseason.

For all of us that didn't see it, the game is being broadcast on the NFL Network tomorrow (Monday) afternoon. I am looking forward to seeing it then.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
really? me and (almost, i wont speak for everyone) everyone in the game chat seen it.

It was good last week too, not as good as this week. Are you saying this cuz there wasnt 23923 sacks and Vick had the 12 yard scamper?

there was constant pressure, buddy. I was impressed, cuz i wasnt expecting it, to be honest.

OP
OP
tromadz

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
5 sacks (one by my boy Ahmad Carroll)

and a lot of pressure besides those that led to sacks....

at least pick a real problem to complain about!

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re Watching the 1st half of the game, Kampman made a couple nice plays. He pressure Vick and did his job from one end. KGB did his job from the other end. Both were in the right position. Both played better this week. The pressure wasn't great, but it wasn't terrible either.

Reaction score
Let me rephrase, KGB is someone who I would like to see make more moves. He doesn't try to shake of the defenders as much as he trys to beat them.

Kamp looked good, and I was content with what I saw from him.

The problem I have is the lack of collapsing of the pocket. I wasn't excited by the rush, but there was some. The problem I have is that the rush came from outside, and there wasn't an inside rush. What good does that do, when the QB can just step up. The DT's had some nice rushes, but that was far and in between. Otherwise they got blocked, and there was a lack of penetration up the middle.

Ultimately there was a lack of front 4 combined rush if you want to put it like that. A lack of collapsing the pocket just leads to KGB and Kamp being more ineffective.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alot of great posts here about concerns and positives from the game. It's hard to nitpick a 38-10 shellacking of an opponent, but it is preseason so its important to keep a cool head(even though it was ALOT of fun to watch :D ).

I agree with Tro, I think the pass rush was much better this week. The blitzing was better schemed I thought. I've always agreed with overloading a side in order to blitz. Yeah there is risk to it, but the reward can also be great.

I think Favre looked sharp overall. Lil things here and there, but its obvious thus far at least in game situations he isnt the same QB from last season. I think Jennings coming on so strong so early is rejuvenating him a bit. That's just my opinion, though. I thought Driver looked EXCELLENT. He showed great burst and good route running as well as a great catch when favre fit it through that thimble sized opening.

The Oline looked much better. Wether it was because of Moll or not I have no idea, but I personally think MM chewed them out specifically over the week and challenged them to get better and by all accounts they responded with sound improvement. I think Spitz is going to be a star at some point(at least a star for a guard). He gets to the second level quickly.

I was very impressed with the Dline. Jenkins, Pickett, Williams, Cole all played well including Jolly. It's time to cut Peterson, IMO. KGB stood up to the run "well enough" during the game especially on AJ's big play. AJ complimented him for it, too.

The LBers if Barnett gets resigned, IMO, are the future of this defense. Hawk is getting better every week and the fact he can stay stride for stride with jerious norwood(a very quick back) is amazing to me. He also is getting off blocks much much better as well as taking better angles to the ballcarrier. Barnett is the proven commodity on the corps and Hodge looks like a player. He didnt have one of his better games, but theres no question he can sniff out the ballcarrier as well as anyone on the team.

I think Culver is a future starter and possible star. Yes he made a couple of mistakes and lets hope hes not another marques anderson, but he looks good by all accounts. He's a rookie that if he had to start I wouldn't be worried. Collins looked more active last night as well. Woodson and Harris aren't two people we have to worry about and Ahmad might actually turn into a good nickelback. He's strong against the run.

All in all I think this CAN be a good team this season if it gels quickly enough. Obviously every game isn't going to be as good as that one, but they have at least proven to themselves that they can win in coach mccarthy's system. That and mccarthy seems to get through to them. He has a good balance of being strict and laid back and seems to know when to use both qualities. I can see why TT liked this guy. I think as the Oline continues to gel and grow in this system that our offense has the potential to be potent with Favre playing better. I saw alot of things in this scheme that I never saw with Sherman and one of the main things is the complimentary routes in the passing game. Notice how often Driver is open? It isn't because hes beating tripple teams and he is the only proven commodity at WR. They are finding ways in the pass game to get him the ball and that is VERY intelligent. The defense will have its ups and downs during the year Im sure, but against teams like the bears I don't think theyll be able to move the ball on us that effectively. Thats just my opinion. Obviously can't conclude anything after two preseason games.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
:welcome: Cory. Good insight.

Thanks for the welcome! :D Just glad to be here allowed to give my 2 cents worth and read others far more knowledgable opinions. I was lurking for a while and I like the way the place is conducted. Lot of good people it seems.

Members online

Latest posts