Post 1st Pre season game thoughts

L

Lunchboxer

Heres a thread to gather our collective thoughts on the first pre season game.

I thought Tyler did a good job a RB I forgot his lastname.

Starks is sucking bad.

Oline looks has some issues.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did see some bright spots in House, Perry, Williams looks healthy again, and Worthy looked better than any lineman we put out there last year. Also D.J. Smith looked like he should be a starter over another ILB who is not going to be named.

Harrell, Starks, Taylor, Bush: http://mckaylaisnotimpressed.tumblr.com/

Reaction score
House was looking good in 1v1 coverage.
Starks just had a bad series.. Nothing too bad yet
Perry was bringing the pressure. I'm excited about his future in GB
Borel will be a great 6th receiver... I still want Gurley to get the spot over him.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Any word of Bishop yet?
Nothing yet, I think it won't be till tomorrow Lunch. I didn't see alot to worry about but alot to look forward to. Defense looks like they are tackling better. O-line looked horrible but I was expecting that. I don't think the starting O-line will look this way.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
It's only preseason, which means nothing.

On a serious note, the offense looked predictable. Struggled to run the ball and the pass is just constant all the time. Would be easier if Rodgers didn't have the pressure on him 24/7 and the Chargers were getting to him. Let's hope the 49ers defense is rusty come week 1.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
My prediction is that Borel will give someone a heart attack before the end of the season if he keeps returning kicks/punts. :eek:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score

On a serious note, the offense looked predictable. Struggled to run the ball and the pass is just constant all the time. Would be easier if Rodgers didn't have the pressure on him 24/7 and the Chargers were getting to him. Let's hope the 49ers defense is rusty come week 1.

The predictable thing I tend to agree with...I look for GB to get more creative in it's play calling this year. However, I can deal with us waiting till the regular season if need be so as to not tip our hat to others.

I'll admit the Defense has me excited, but that's easy to say when compared to last year's they look like studs :)

Starks struggled but I still feel will come around...Tyler when we signed him I straight up said, "He will make the team" and he proved why IMO last night=consistent.

Bishop cannot be out for an extended time, House if not injured bad will win a CB spot based on last night.... and Smith is a beast we need to hang on to for year's to come (Just think: Perry, Matthews, Bishop and Smith...nice!)

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score

Bogie ... have to say that pre-season does indeed mean something if, like me, you believe that a team plays as it practices...this is where bad habits start to root. Just my opinion...and there is a helluva lot to your statement as well, I'm just saying that our guys (I don't care about the other guys at this point), looked like a bunch of monkeys f**king a football. :)

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Quick thoughts from the game:

-So'oto looked pretty damn good late in the game.
-Offensive line looked horrible throughout the game, especially Datko and Taylor.
-RB Tyler runs hard.
-House looked pretty damn good, and physical. I hope his injury isn't too bad. Why the HELL was he a punt coverage gunner so late in a pre-season game???? Coaching fail, imo.
-Starks sucked.
-Hayward didn't look sharp. Nor did McMillian or any other young guy in the secondary.
-Nick Perry looked pretty beastly at times. The guy is strong. I think he has a ton of potential as a pass rusher.
-Worthy didn't stick out much at all to me tonight. Seemed to get swallowed up most the game.
-I'm really worried about Bishops injury. Anything other than a season ending injury would be great, because it didn't look good.
-Did Shields play?
-Harrell struggled, but considering what he was working with, he looked decent. Got better at the game went on.
-Coleman got thrown out in a rough situation for his first NFL snaps.
-Did T. Manning play?
-Smith was all around the ball, but could have tackled better.
-Moses didn't seem to do much on defense, but he made some splash plays on special teams. If he keeps that up, he likely earns a spot on the team.
-Punting was great.
-I was hoping to see more of Hargrove and Neal, but due to their suspensions, they didn't get time until late in the 4th quarter. When they were playing, I didn't notice them making any impact. It's too bad about their suspensions, as they could be the Packer's best hope of being the 2-5th best defensive linemen, and even better than that in terms of pass rush from the inside.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The early report on Bishop is potentially serious with the injury being a sprained knee and hamstring. We will really miss him if he is out some extended period. You need a linebacker who can drop to the middle like he does against the TE. It sure as hell isn't Hawk. This injury just sucks.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Undoubtedly, the injury concerns are my biggest priority following the game. Although I think Bishop is an excellent MLB, even fringe-pro bowl caliber, I think Smith has shown he can step in and should be able to produce pretty well. He's not a Bishop, but we are lucky to have him as his backup. I also really hope House isn't seriously hurt. He looked great out there. He was physical, attacking the ball, and showed he had some coverage skills. Although it's early in the pre-season, he was well on his way to winning that starting spot opposing Tramon.

As for the game itself, Perry looked pretty solid. He was applying some pressure and didn't seem completely lost in space. I was displeased with the pressure from the DL. Still didn't seem like we got much pressure on the QB again. Maybe this is partially related to the fact Clay played about 5 snaps. Our safety play was very concerning. For all the raving about Jennings and McMillan, I was not impressed with their play.

The offense was terrible. But, I'm not overly concerned about it at this point. They will get rolling soon enough.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offense

Graham Harrel looked a bit stirred up when he first took the field and overthrew a few passes he has been making in practice so far this year. Then the pressure built up as we fell down the depth chart on the OL. Those guys had harrell running for his life much of the second half. All in all there wasn't much good for Graham to take away from last night but he will have some tape to look at and some things to work on which I think is an important aspect of the preseason

Starks was Starks last night. He showed IMO that he is the fastest in the hole guy we have. When he could hold on to the **** ball he made some nice moves in space and picked up a few yards. But again for him I don't think the positives out weigh his negatives from last night. He will also have some good tape to study and some good goals moving forward.

The sky isn't falling but wow did the back up Oline look terrible. Datko and Taylor did nothing to convince me that they are NFL caliber players as both of them looked slow and weak getting overpowered one play and blown by another. Hopefully the guy the pack brought in this week can step up and supplant these guys from being the next man up on the line

Defense:

Worthy did not impress me last night, he looked like he took some plays off and was just stood up on the line nearly every time I saw 99. Im not saying he's terrible but that "juice" just didn't seem prevalent last night. Again its just preseason so the panic meter's needle has barely twitched.

Perry showed up last night. He made J. Clary look like a rookie and showed the combo of speed and power we have been expecting from him. The other guys that showed they want to be a starter in this league were D. House and D Smith. They both made open field tackles. I was shocked to see House do his best woodson impression flying past a WR and torpedoing a RB in the back field. I love those plays.

I almost lost it when I saw Bishop's knee get tweaked the way it did, hopefully with 30 days until week one anything but a tear with surgery and he should be able to be back sometime in the season. The other injury that really had me going off was house injuring his shoulder that late in the game. I know he's a young guy and they want to see him play ST but ffs he played his *** of early in the game let him sit down and stay healthy

I think most of all for me this preseason game brought everyone back down to earth. You hear a lot of hype coming from the media in TC but the bottom line is a lot of the people we saw on the field last night were very raw and definitely need more reps before the season before we can make a decent opinion on them.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's only a matter of time before Smith replaces Hawk if Bishop is healthy by the time the regular season starts. He's alot faster and instinctive. We need that with our defensive being so slow a year ago speed was a major necessity. I think if House is healthy enough he has done enough to solidify a spot as a starter. He riminds me of a faster Al Harris with ball skills. With that being said i'm not sure what happens with Sam Shields who showed so much promise...maybe we put him back there with Cobb and let him return kickoffs and punts. I like Perry, i thought he showed flashes of being able to dominate with his great athletic ability for a big guy. He may even reach double digit sacks which will take a TON of pressure off Clay Matthews. Could potentially be a top tandem for years to come. As for the d-line? they still need some work but Raji looks like he's back. If worthy is the guy i think with a few more games under his belt he could really help solidify the worst part of our defense last year.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
I saw him in a few plays late in 4th, right around the Brinkley TD

That's cool. I expected him to play more, but I imagine that will be coming since Bishop is going to be out a significant period of time, at best. I think Manning can be a great player, but it may take a season or two.

Chicocheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought that Nick Perry, Devon House, and Tramon Williams looked great last night.I wish I could have seen Woodson in his safety spot.

The o-line is what worries me the most so far. Rodgers and Harrell were running around way too much. Rodgers took a pretty wicked shot too, which you don't want to see ever, but especially in pre season football.

I am not yet willing to give up on Starks. I think it was just a bad series. The next 3 games will tell us.

P-E-Z

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No run blocking they need a coach to work that issue. On pass protecting in the first team I noticed same pass rushing schemes the Giants used in playoff lose with same result from the Chargers. Its a copycat league we can expect more of that. The defense was ok at stopping the run. Pass defense was still poor. Punt and kick off teams looked good. Punt return may have been a fluke in at least on series. House and Bishop I are not badly injured. House & Perry were two bright spots. That my thoughts.... No preseason games really matter there still time to correct the problems.

maxlives

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know; didn't pay much attenton to the offense but kept my eye on the d-line all night and didn't come away with a good feeling. The most impressive defender on the field last night was that Melvin Ingram kid out of South Carolina; was hoping to see that level of play from Perry and some of our new guys. Maybe I just missed those parts. Looks to me like there is still a lot of work to do. Of course these early preseason games don't show much, I think the time would be better spent at real practice. Still good to have football back!!

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Bogie ... have to say that pre-season does indeed mean something if, like me, you believe that a team plays as it practices...this is where bad habits start to root. Just my opinion...and there is a helluva lot to your statement as well, I'm just saying that our guys (I don't care about the other guys at this point), looked like a bunch of monkeys f**king a football. :)

I agree with you, but in times I think we all worry too much, which I'm guilty of as well from last season.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
The predictable thing I tend to agree with...I look for GB to get more creative in it's play calling this year. However, I can deal with us waiting till the regular season if need be so as to not tip our hat to others.

I'll admit the Defense has me excited, but that's easy to say when compared to last year's they look like studs :)

Starks struggled but I still feel will come around...Tyler when we signed him I straight up said, "He will make the team" and he proved why IMO last night=consistent.

Bishop cannot be out for an extended time, House if not injured bad will win a CB spot based on last night.... and Smith is a beast we need to hang on to for year's to come (Just think: Perry, Matthews, Bishop and Smith...nice!)

I agree, I think Starks will come around but still, poor offensive line work.

At least it's just preseason cause I wasn't thrilled at all by our starters

and just for lols the Chargers are still idiots, I mean AJ Smith and Norv Turner. Robert Meachem? Meachem seriously? Anyone that watched Saints games the last 3 years shouldn't be surprised at all he looked like crap last night. They should have just kept Jackson if they really fell for all that crap on ESPN about Meachem. It's easy to look good when you have one of the best QBs throwing to you like he had.

Members online

Latest posts